Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Finally managed to catch the intermittent error codes on my Dads 2014 V70 D3:
P0299 - Turbocharger Underboost
P0235 - Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance.
P0049 - Turbocharger Turbine Overspeed.

No real change in how the engine performs, except that it sometimes sounds "louder", especially when passing at highway speeds.

I'm thinking that I have to do a thorough check of all the vacuum hoses going to and from the turbo/intercooler parts. It's probably a coincidence, but this started just a short time after the car was serviced. I'm wondering if they didn't tighten some hose they disconnected or accidentally snagged something that then has ripped. I've driven the car today at city/slower highway speeds and I don't feel any loss of power or rough running, so maybe the leak is small and only presents itself when the turbo is under heavier load?

Or am I way off base?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

No, sounds exactly the right path. Also look for disconnected wire connectors, like to the sensor in the code, or turbo control valve if they still use that.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

LloydDobler posted:

No, sounds exactly the right path. Also look for disconnected wire connectors, like to the sensor in the code, or turbo control valve if they still use that.

Thanks! Will be interesting to see if I find anything wrong. Hopefully it's a cheap and simple fix. The warning message is only intermittent as well, and no check engine light that stays on which in my mind supports the "minor" leak theory. Googled some more on Volvo forums and apparently it isn't uncommon with broken/loose pipes.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

He might get $20k, but more likely high teens. He's already at $12k with 5 days to go so good on him.

Follow up: dude got just shy of $26k for that car. And I can't even get $9000 for mine with a full stage 0 because of the salvage title.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I am trying to replace the low beams on my 09 XC70, and I don't think the bulbs I am seeing recommended are correct. Online and at the parts store it's recommending H11s, the manual recommends H7s, but neither of them look like what is in my car. It has what looks like a boxy back secured in place with a metal spring clip. Am I looking at the right bulb? It's the outside of the two main bulbs. Is it possible this is an aftermarket light cluster?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Make sure you're not trying to put halogens in a bi-xenon setup or something. Best bet is to just pull the bulb and take it to the store. Or read the markings if you're ordering bulbs online.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Thanks for that suggestion, I was able to get the proper bulb type bringing it in to the shop.

However, my bulb replacement odyssey took an extremely annoying turn when I opened the hood and found a loving giant rat had taken up residence in the front hood insulation overnight. He had chewed into it and left some bits on the motor which was not there yesterday. I prodded the insulation and it didn't seem like he was in there anymore, but when I went to tuck the cover back into place he came hustling out and I had to chase him away. I'll have to get a new insulation panel, but I am also concerned about rodents returning, is there any non-poison way I deter them from coming into my car? I haven't had a problem with them at this home before.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah, put in a high performance cat.

Just kidding, you're gonna have to google that one.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Sanity check, I’m thinking about a P1 XC90 for a winter vehicle and weekend towing. Is there an engine/transmission to avoid? Most of the vehicles in my price range are above 100k miles.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The Meat Dimension posted:

Sanity check, I’m thinking about a P1 XC90 for a winter vehicle and weekend towing. Is there an engine/transmission to avoid? Most of the vehicles in my price range are above 100k miles.

You mean P2. P1 cars are the small series, C30, S40, V50 and C70. P2 XC90s were made from 03 all the way to 2014 with very few changes.

If you go 06 and later the transmissions are better. If you can find a 5 cylinder version it's the exact same bulletproof drivetrain that's in the XC70 with no major chronic issues, and it's still got decent power for the big car. The 6 cylinder is the one known for having a glass transmission but I don't know if there's a good year for it where they got better. V8s are generally reliable from 06 up but the serpentine belt bearings need to be maintained religiously, if they fail it tears up the timing cover. The shafts are machined bosses cast in to the cover. My Volvo shop buddy made a lot of money replacing this cover on a lot of cars.

So basically I would avoid the 6 cylinder, but it's the most common one.

Cool facts, the body is the same for its entire run, so the later LED taillights are a bolt-in upgrade for the older ones. Lots of other parts are cross-compatible with the P2 S60, V70, XC70 and S80 cars made from 01 to 07-09 as well. You can even manual swap them, I believe parts are bolt-in.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

LloydDobler posted:

You mean P2. P1 cars are the small series, C30, S40, V50 and C70. P2 XC90s were made from 03 all the way to 2014 with very few changes.

Man I stuck my foot in my mouth here. Thanks for the detailed write up, it’s hard to find a good summary of an entire range of model years out there.

LloydDobler posted:

Cool facts, the body is the same for its entire run, so the later LED taillights are a bolt-in upgrade for the older ones. Lots of other parts are cross-compatible with the P2 S60, V70, XC70 and S80 cars made from 01 to 07-09 as well. You can even manual swap them, I believe parts are bolt-in.

:eyepop: that’s super rad, if the transmission ever eats itself I know what my next project is.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Are the starters the same across the P2 range?
I was gonna go pull one from LQK And get it rewound and replace mine, but figured i'd make sure they're all swappable.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

You can even manual swap them, I believe parts are bolt-in.

Didn't you have a clusterfuck of a time trying to manual swap and the ECU was mega-pissed? Or is that just a P1 thing?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

toplitzin posted:

Didn't you have a clusterfuck of a time trying to manual swap and the ECU was mega-pissed? Or is that just a P1 thing?

*P80

IIRC it was something to do with the tuner being a jackass?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

toplitzin posted:

I was just too early. IPD was the only game in town when I did it the first time, and they did fine. The second guy to say he could do it was an ex IPD employee and he hosed my poo poo all the way up. But now every major tuner knows how to code out the auto transmission. Manual swaps are a breeze these days. Just a bit more costly.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Strange, it looks like P2 Volvo lights have a load protection circuit of some kind because I put too hot a bulb in a taillight socket on my R and the entire light cluster shut down. Took a bit to diagnose. I ended up pulling the entire light out to methodically test it. With the offending bulb out a key cycle turned it back on. Any time the bulb was in it would fail but no fuse would blow. Time to hit the auto parts store.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

LloydDobler posted:

Yup, the XC90 came as manual with the 5-cyl in Europe. I just don't think the manual would suit the car well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Finally got round to resoldering the DIM in the 02 S60, least fun job I've ever done because it's been years since I've touched SMD stuff. Seems to work 100% now though, I'll give it a week before I'm confident.

E:I just did the Motorola chip in the top left and the 8 pin chips around it, following advice from someone who repairs these for a living.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 2, 2019

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I’m in Switzerland right now and am pleased to see the popularity of Volvo cars here, also that most of them are diesels.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I purchased a 2004 XC90 2.5T AWD in crystal green this morning. :toot:

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 5, 2019

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Regarding the 2004 XC90, is the navigation box upgradable to the HDD model if I buy one on ebay or is it keyed to the car somehow? Alternately, could I repurpose the display for an aftermarket backup camera?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

That'd be a good question for swedespeed, check the audio/video forum and the XC90 forum there. I believe I've seen people tap in to the inputs on those, they aren't optical or digital as far as I know. The rest of the a/v system is only partially tied to the car, in that it can push software and the car knows when you've removed and replaced it, but otherwise you can install a full aftermarket system if you want. And the aftermarket units that retain steering wheel controls work pretty well. I have the crux module in my 06, and I really wish I'd gotten it for my 01 that I had for 8 years. I can't live without steering wheel controls now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The DIM in the S60 lasted about a week before it started reading Klingon again, pull it and have another go at soldering or live with it because everything else works?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

It snowed a fair amount and I got to drive in snow, ice, and slush and the XC90 rules in those conditions. It came with almost new snow tires which I'm sure is a huge help.

From what I've read, it seems like the pop up display can be repurposed. There is a CFE+ canbus device that can send messages to pop up the display in reverse and stow it in drive. Looks like a cool Gizmo. Too bad the canbus messages aren't available anywhere that I can find, I have lots of canbus microcontrollers.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Animal posted:

dang why did you buy that piece of poo poo

Still fighting with Volvo to handle the auto braking problem. Now I have corporate involved. The braking happens several times a day and yet they can't reproduce it.

MesquiteLog
Dec 8, 2009
Volvo gurus:

I’m going to be buying a new (to me) car in the next few months. I test drove a 2015 V60 T5 fwd today and I really liked it because I’m old and dull. Seriously though, I was impressed with the handling and the butt dyno feel.

Does anyone have any negative experiences with the 2.0 turbo engine or the newer 60 series Volvos? I’ve read that Volvo squeezed about as much hp/tq out of that engine as they could, hopefully while maintaining reliability. I’ve averaged about 8 years per vehicle, so reliability is a concern. I also prefer to do as much of my own maintenance as I can. Is this platform, beyond computer stuff, relatively shade tree mechanic friendly?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

GreglFaggins posted:

Volvo gurus:

I’m going to be buying a new (to me) car in the next few months. I test drove a 2015 V60 T5 fwd today and I really liked it because I’m old and dull. Seriously though, I was impressed with the handling and the butt dyno feel.

Does anyone have any negative experiences with the 2.0 turbo engine or the newer 60 series Volvos? I’ve read that Volvo squeezed about as much hp/tq out of that engine as they could, hopefully while maintaining reliability. I’ve averaged about 8 years per vehicle, so reliability is a concern. I also prefer to do as much of my own maintenance as I can. Is this platform, beyond computer stuff, relatively shade tree mechanic friendly?

I've got a '14 S60 and I feel like there's still some room left in that engine for more power; it's never straining or anything and mileage is good for a relatively heavy AWD sedan. In any case, it's been super reliable; engine has never needed work, but I did need to replace some warped brake discs. Nothing out of the ordinary.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Well I have about 5000 miles on the 2020 v60 now, including a 2000 mile road trip. Some thoughts in no particular order:

1) Car's unbelievably comfortable over long distances and the Pilot Assist features work really well on long highway trips. 8 hours of driving this was less exhausting than 3 hours driving my old Corolla.
2) It gets its stated highway mpg... at 80 mph. At 65 with no traffic, I was brushing 40 mpg at times. City mpg has been about 15% off the rating with my driving style.
3) I finally broke down and got the Polestar upgrade. The transmission programming alone is worth it and I would recommend spending the money on this.
4) There's a minor, inconsistent rattle in the front right of the cabin, which is a bit disappointing. I've not had luck diagnosing it yet.
5) The ride is firm but not punishing with the 19" wheels and non-adaptive dampers, non-sport-chassis suspension. I test-drove flavors of v60/s60 with both the sport chassis and the adaptive dampers and I feel like both options are paying money to make the car worse. 5k miles has not changed my opinion about this. If anything, I might end up going to smaller rims to make the car ride better over pot-holes.
6) The OEM Pirellis are oddly lovely (weirdly bad wet traction and they've recently started to develop a new road whine at highway speeds), and I think I'm going to get different ones.
7) The infotainment system is overall fine once you get used to it, but there are two irritating parts to it: a) the 360' camera is always a swipe+tap away from the home-screen, and there is no easier way to get into it and b) the parking sensor overlay that pops up when you get close to an object while not already in camera view likes to hijack the screen, doesn't have the cameras on it, and there's no short-cut to get to the cameras. Given that the birdseye camera is great (high res, good stitching), it's actually pretty annoying that the car makes it a PITA to use it sometimes.

Overall really happy with it, ask any questions if you got em.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
So I've got a lead on a 2016 V60 Polestar for $38k and 39k miles (rebel blue of course).
Currently driving 2006 V70R that needs about $6k of suspension/awd work and that's about what the shop will give me in trade...

Thoughts Volvo goons?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oxphocker posted:

So I've got a lead on a 2016 V60 Polestar for $38k and 39k miles (rebel blue of course).
Currently driving 2006 V70R that needs about $6k of suspension/awd work and that's about what the shop will give me in trade...

Thoughts Volvo goons?

That was the last one with the transverse I6 engine, right?

Do it.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I have the R Design S60, it’s a Good Car. Consider changing the transmission fluid.

FCPEuro also has the Polestar front brake rotors, which might be helpful if you have to replace them more then once.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

That was the last one with the transverse I6 engine, right?

Do it.

Yes, the last I6 I believe...in 2017 it goes to the super/turbo I4.
Looking at it from an options perspective the only thing it doesn't have is any roof rails. The cargo space is a little smaller than the V70, but I'm curious to test drive it this week hopefully. I got to look at it for all of ten minutes while talking with the shop owner.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

The Oldest Man posted:

Well I have about 5000 miles on the 2020 v60 now, including a 2000 mile road trip. Some thoughts in no particular order:

Overall really happy with it, ask any questions if you got em.

I’ve been thinking about switching to a V from our current S60 (2014) solely for the extra space. Is the back seat any bigger that the S’s that you drove? How’s the trunk space? I know it’s a far cry from the old wagons but I imagine just the extra headroom might be good.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

I’ve been thinking about switching to a V from our current S60 (2014) solely for the extra space. Is the back seat any bigger that the S’s that you drove? How’s the trunk space? I know it’s a far cry from the old wagons but I imagine just the extra headroom might be good.

2019+ is just way bigger in the back seat compared to earlier models for both S and V. I looked at a 2016 V60 Rdesign Platinum and the back seat is huge in the redesign version by comparison. It feels like that's where all the extra length went when they did they new gen.

S vs V in the new ones is exactly the same in the back leg room department, but you get more head room in the wagon because of the long roof. The sunroof also goes back fully over the rear seat (S is kind of a half pano), so it feels pretty airy back there. You also get 4-zone climate control on the rdesign, which is really nice since the car has rear foot, console, and b-pillar vents so it actually feels like real climate control back there.

Cargo room in the V is good but don't expect it to be like the old v70. It's way smaller. It does fit my large dog and his bed comfortably, but I can't get luggage back there with him as you could in there older fully box wagons.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Oxphocker posted:

Thoughts Volvo goons?

Yessssss. Also, I'm seeing 2015's with similar miles but around $5k less so maybe keep shopping if you want to save a buck, but either way I've heard nothing but good things about those cars and I want one bad.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Yessssss. Also, I'm seeing 2015's with similar miles but around $5k less so maybe keep shopping if you want to save a buck, but either way I've heard nothing but good things about those cars and I want one bad.

It could also be the area I'm in (upper Midwest) so I'm likely not going to see another one of these for a while. It kinda dropped in my lap, I wasn't really planning on looking at a new car for another 60k miles, but between the repair costs and this coming up out of the blue (heh), I'm finding it hard to pass up. Been working on lining up financing today, hoping to have it by the end of the week or next week. Can't believe I'm seriously moving towards buying this, never thought I'd own a polestar..

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Infotainment screen on my XC40 has gone nuts in the past couple days so that's fun. Random resets of the entire thing which also includes stuff like the heated seats and heated steering wheel resetting.

So my car tries to kill me and also tries to cook my balls. That's a lot for 5000 miles. At least my Subaru's beat my body into submission with their suspension on NJ roads.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

More XC90 stuff. I'm making all the interior silver bits black, and I'd like to paint the interior door handles. Is it a bad idea to remove the metal handle & spring from the plastic module? There is a pin that looks like it could be removed but I'm wondering if it was designed to be installed only once. Do I need to worry about making the pin loose? Has anyone seen a howto for doing this?

This is from an S80 but its basically the same. I want to take the silver part out of the plastic:

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004