Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I just love how much money they spend on initiatives intended to dissuade use of social services so money won't be spent on social services. Especially since the vast majority of them are farmed out to private enterprise, which as we all know is an excellent way to spend less tax money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cynic Jester posted:

I just love how much money they spend on initiatives intended to dissuade use of social services so money won't be spent on social services. Especially since the vast majority of them are farmed out to private enterprise, which as we all know is an excellent way to spend less tax money.

yeah it's pretty clearly an ethical project, not one based on concern for the public purse

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah it's pretty clearly an ethical project, not one based on concern for the public purse

Considering the public purse suffers when conservatives get into power due to tax breaks and giveaways to their constituencies that's pretty clear.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My personligt ombud managed to score me an amazing 1000 SEK so I can afford the train fare to Habilitering. :toot:

Eschenique posted:

Thankfully my local arbetsförmedling has remained open and still has the same one(!) arbetsförmedlare they have had for like 10 years.

Chillest guy ever. The times I had to use him we met once every 6 months or so and in between that I just emailed in what I had been done on a monthly basis. He emphasized that I should just fill in a bunch of crap like "called X and checked if they needed people" and if I could put in 5-10 of those lines per month on my report then everything was cool.
That's so bizarrely unreal. I can't imagine having the same förmedlare an entire year. I've had mine being changed so many times that I can't even remember how many anymore.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Poil posted:

My personligt ombud managed to score me an amazing 1000 SEK so I can afford the train fare to Habilitering. :toot:

That's so bizarrely unreal. I can't imagine having the same förmedlare an entire year. I've had mine being changed so many times that I can't even remember how many anymore.

Where do arbestförmedlare report to the first day after losing their job?

I ask that with extreme snark but they probably call up their school mate from Chalmers and take a job as regional human resource manager at Telia for 75.000 kr a month

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

thotsky posted:

Nah, the main reason is that for decades the primary goal of these institutions has not been to render aid, but to dissuade use.

Yeah, pretty much:
https://twitter.com/eivind1984/status/1181888813083312129

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

So the UK is talking about voter ID laws which they will use for voter suppression like many state sin the US does. It got me thinking how we already got that here and it was never a big deal. Are we just really ahead in the voter suppression game or better at supplying IDs?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Eschenique posted:

So the UK is talking about voter ID laws which they will use for voter suppression like many state sin the US does. It got me thinking how we already got that here and it was never a big deal. Are we just really ahead in the voter suppression game or better at supplying IDs?

You need a personnummer and an ID to have any kind of life really. That combined with having lots of different acceptable IDs makes it less of a problem. Sweden has automatic voter registration unlike the US and UK, which is probably the most important bit.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Fader Movitz posted:

You need a personnummer and an ID to have any kind of life really. That combined with having lots of different acceptable IDs makes it less of a problem. Sweden has automatic voter registration unlike the US and UK, which is probably the most important bit.

I don't want to give the system too much credit but a friends brother is on whatever they call social bidrag these days and his welfare contact pretty much dragged him kicking and screaming to getting a photo ID and paid for it too.

Which is far from the US system of closing all places you can get an ID near minority areas and then putting the voting centers in a warehouse 5 kilometers from the nearest bus stop.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah voting is pretty easy in scandinavia, at least. be interesting how it'll develop with the banks start refusing to issue photo ID and the national ID cards still not available though

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah voting is pretty easy in scandinavia, at least. be interesting how it'll develop with the banks start refusing to issue photo ID and the national ID cards still not available though

Just chiming in from bizarro-scandinavia that Finnish IDs have always cost at least some amount of money, with either a passport, a driver's license, or a police issued photo-ID required for some things like voting. As was stated though it was never a problem before, and I'd imagine if you're totally flat out broke you can apply for social services to comp the photo-ID. I think it costs around 100€ total for the photo at a legit shop and the police processing fee.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 13, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

V. Illych L. posted:

We haven't had banks issuing cards with ID in Norway since...2013? Thankfully, our national ID cards which have been in development since 2007, will be released in *checks notes* not in 2019.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cynic Jester posted:

We haven't had banks issuing cards with ID in Norway since...2013? Thankfully, our national ID cards which have been in development since 2007, will be released in *checks notes* not in 2019.

wait what

holy hell how did i not know this, i thought it was much later than that

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A voter card just showed up in my mailbox for the first election after I turned 18, and they've been sending them ever since for every election - and the only thing that's really changed materially is that I changed addresses since (but I only had to file that once with the national register, which happened online and took like 5 minutes).
I barely even understand the concept of needing an ID when I go to vote; I went to school with one of the politicians that always show up to help overseeing things, and have known a few of the others for longer than I've been able to vote.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Fader Movitz posted:

If you hate the idea of an id, you can bring a friend along whenever to identify themselves and attest that you are indeed who you claim to be. I'd be surprised if it did not work for voting.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Cynic Jester posted:

What's the actual deal with the ID cards, anyway? Is the whole project just a big scam where people figured out they can keep getting payed as long as they keep saying sorry, turns out it was more expensive than we thought so give us another hundred million?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Potrzebie posted:

If you hate the idea of an id, you can bring a friend along whenever to identify themselves and attest that you are indeed who you claim to be. I'd be surprised if it did not work for voting.

Yup, in Sweden that's good enough for voting ID. From Valmyndigheten:

"Jo, du kan rösta ändå. Men när du överlämnar rösten måste du kunna visa att du är du. Om du inte har någon id-handling kan du låta någon annan person intyga din identitet. Den person som intygar måste då visa en id-handling.

Om du är känd av röstmottagaren kan även denne intyga din identitet."

That is, as long as either someone with a valid ID can vouch for you, or someone at the voting station can vouch for you, you don't need an ID yourself.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Crimpolioni posted:

What's the actual deal with the ID cards, anyway? Is the whole project just a big scam where people figured out they can keep getting payed as long as they keep saying sorry, turns out it was more expensive than we thought so give us another hundred million?

I haven't really paid attention to it but everything I've seen in the papers is "Oh no, it turned out to be super expensive" and/or "It's so much more difficult than we initially thought". Granted the original budget was 12 million, which was hilariously low, but it's currently sitting at 700 million or so last I heard. I found this image which shows the status of a bunch of sub-goals from earlier this year and it is beautiful.

Granted, it's only one page of it, but according to Aftenposten, it's not an aberration.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I wonder how much the Danish system of sending everyone a voter card and requiring zero additional ID costs. I can't imagine it's more expensive than any alternative which requires licensed personnel, since the actual checking can be done by volunteers who get paid 1200 DKK for the day.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
So, what do people use as an ID card in Norway, in practice?

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost

Groda posted:

If you have a drivers license you would use that. Some banks still issue cards with picture ID.
If you have neither, your passport.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
So what's the holdup.

They're just going to farm it out to Gemalto, right?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Groda posted:

Minimum four guys that are willing to swear a blood oath that you are who you say you are.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Om någon ifrågasätter din identitet blir det holmgång. Segraren får identiteten.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Bankkortet med ID går ut om 4 måneder. Siden jeg gjør ting i blant som krever to former for gyldig ID blir det interessant. Har ikke førerkort.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I remember once when I was stopped by the cops for doing 140 on a 110 road and they flat out took my drivers license on the spot and had it destroyed. It was my only ID at the time and the process of going from no id to 1 ID interesting to say the least!

In contrast a coworker drove drunk and ran his car into a street light. Fled from the scene and police then later caught him at his home. They took his license but then had to give it back pending the results of the trial.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Cynic Jester posted:

I haven't really paid attention to it but everything I've seen in the papers is "Oh no, it turned out to be super expensive" and/or "It's so much more difficult than we initially thought". Granted the original budget was 12 million, which was hilariously low, but it's currently sitting at 700 million or so last I heard.

Well, I mean fair enough then. You'd be crazy to stop milking that kinda cashcow until it runs dry. Sucks for the people with no ids though.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Crimpolioni posted:

Well, I mean fair enough then. You'd be crazy to stop milking that kinda cashcow until it runs dry. Sucks for the people with no ids though.

not me though, i'm all superego, me

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Max Manus posted:

If you have a drivers license you would use that. Some banks still issue cards with picture ID.
If you have neither, your passport.
But are you required to have either of those three?
As far as I know, in Denmark, you're not required to have any picture ID although you may find it hard to do things.
So far, I've succeeded in not having one.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

D. Ebdrup posted:

But are you required to have either of those three?
As far as I know, in Denmark, you're not required to have any picture ID although you may find it hard to do things.
So far, I've succeeded in not having one.

I don't think I'm required to have any ID. I have an expired passport somewhere, and I use my drivers licence any time I need to prove who I am. Any time I'm voting, the people taking votes just say "We've known you by first name for 30 years, please proceed"

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Back when I first moved to Sweden, in order to get an ID card from Postens kassaservice or your bank (only two options for non-citizens), you needed:
  • A Swedish form of ID
  • A valid Nordic form of ID
  • An EU-passport book
  • Someone who could vouch for having known you for five years
Non-EU and just arrived? *crickets*

Fortunately, they ended this nonsense and made Skatteverket start issuing ID cards, since Migrationsverket had already validated the non-EU passport as part of the immigration process, and vouched for it when you got folkbokförd.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Eschenique posted:

voter ID isn't so much of an issue when there's no such thing as voter registration.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Groda posted:

Back when I first moved to Sweden, in order to get an ID card from Postens kassaservice or your bank (only two options for non-citizens), you needed:
  • A Swedish form of ID
  • A valid Nordic form of ID
  • An EU-passport book
  • Someone who could vouch for having known you for five years
Non-EU and just arrived? *crickets*

Fortunately, they ended this nonsense and made Skatteverket start issuing ID cards, since Migrationsverket had already validated the non-EU passport as part of the immigration process, and vouched for it when you got folkbokförd.

Jfc, I needed my “you’re allowed to be here” papers from Migrationsverket and US Passport. Brought the ex to assist. Got my ID card like two weeks later, with personnummer :toot: this was in 2016

However

I work with like a third Brits and holy poo poo they’re trying to get their ducks in a row because of Brexit and the amount of paperwork needed is boggling and seems to change constantly. My office manager has been in the country for nearly a year, was denied a personnummer multiple times, and had to give every paystub - ever. She’s here to marry her German partner who is a citizen and live with him in Sweden. She finally got her number two weeks ago. Another coworker just got citizenship today after being with his partner for around a decade and having a kid together.

I’m dreaaaading going for dual in two years.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

teen witch posted:

I’m dreaaaading going for dual in two years.
Personnummer / civil registration problems are 99 % an EU citizen problem, since their right of residence is such a nebulous concept, and only truly covers people supporting themselves long-term. We non-EU went through a well-documented application process, while they just kind of showed up.

Dreading the citizenship application process is verging on cultural appropriation. It's literally the least demanding application process for us. Even applying for status as a long-term EU resident requires more paperwork.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Getting a CPR number in Denmark was ridiculously easy for an EU citizen.

Day 1) go to foreign ministry, apply for EU residency number (had job letter, UK passport, letter from GF's dad that I was staying at their house)
Day 2) Pick up EU letter at 8 a.m., head to Kastrup rådhus at 10, show nice lady my EU letter, job offer, UK passport, letter from her dad. Also apply for doctor, head to doctors office to get form signed, head back to rådhus to hand it in too.
Day 3) Pick up letter with CPR number and second letter stating Dr. So-and-so was my doctor. Head to bank and apply for bank account and Dankort. Head to Strøget and get a mobile contract with CPR number.

Boof.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I find it bizarre that you got a Dankort so easily.

My girlfriend is German, has lived here for 4 years, and still her bank refuses to give her a Dankort.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Groda posted:

Personnummer / civil registration problems are 99 % an EU citizen problem, since their right of residence is such a nebulous concept, and only truly covers people supporting themselves long-term. We non-EU went through a well-documented application process, while they just kind of showed up.

Dreading the citizenship application process is verging on cultural appropriation. It's literally the least demanding application process for us. Even applying for status as a long-term EU resident requires more paperwork.

Holy poo poo I didn’t know it was more of an EU hassle than for us filthy infiltrators. Finally everything’s coming up golden for Americans! :shrek:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

teen witch posted:

Holy poo poo I didn’t know it was more of an EU hassle than for us filthy infiltrators. Finally everything’s coming up golden for Americans! :shrek:

It's more because the Swedish citizenship application process is a huge joke.

But if you're an EU citizen who didn't, say, already apply for their intyg om PUR, your case worker actually has to tread a bunch of new ground.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

KozmoNaut posted:

My girlfriend is German, has lived here for 4 years, and still her bank refuses to give her a Dankort.
Germans need to be acclimated to the high tech world of digital money before they can be trusted with a Dankort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

There's something wrong with that bank. All my east european collegues got their Dankort immediately.