Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I just knew about this game today (thanks to this thread) and now October 15th feels much further away than it should. This looks like my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Der Shovel posted:

there was a part in the game where my lower intestince tried to get me to embrace fascism.

:allears: Counting the hours to the 15th, my friend, counting the hours.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

As someone who always stats characters to maximize dialog choices and seeks them out, this game's potential is both exciting and frightening.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

this game looks to be so extremely my poo poo that I can't even hype it, I skipped ahead to "please, just be good as everything seems to indicate"

like, oh my loving god, the art, whoever is responsible, you are loving awesome, god drat it

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Finally, the Citizen Kane of videogames

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Have they said anything about console ports or controller support?

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I haven't seen anything. I just assume that stuff is dependent on sales.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Really I'm not going to overhype myself but this game is also pretty much made me for as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if this game ends up not only competing with Bloodstained and RE2make as my GOTY but if it ends up being one of my favorite games in general.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's kind of great seeing streamers get increasingly exasperated by how much of a gently caress-up your detective is/has been and absolutely flabbergasted by meeting Measurehead. (Paraphrasing one: "wait... is he, insulting... white people?")

Kyle Hyde posted:

As someone who always stats characters to maximize dialog choices and seeks them out, this game's potential is both exciting and frightening.
I have no idea how much it keeps up and how you can follow through, but it's been interesting that so far most of the red checks I've seen (early Day 1 spoilers) seem to have more immediately positive effects if you FAIL - like when Physical Instrument wants you to impress a pair of old guys playing a *balls* game, success has you just straight up yeeting a ball into the ocean... which is NOT how their game is played! But failure just has you make an embarrassing pitch towards the other balls, and life goes on.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, stuff like that is what's actually pulling me to a maxed out character- the thought of being such a supercop he Peter Principles himself into absolute failure is hilarious to me!

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Hogama posted:

I have no idea how much it keeps up and how you can follow through, but it's been interesting that so far most of the red checks I've seen (early Day 1 spoilers) seem to have more immediately positive effects if you FAIL - like when Physical Instrument wants you to impress a pair of old guys playing a *balls* game, success has you just straight up yeeting a ball into the ocean... which is NOT how their game is played! But failure just has you make an embarrassing pitch towards the other balls, and life goes on.

Game design speculation: If they're smart, they designed it this way to teach the player that success isn't always the only, or even best, way forward. Since it's an open world game, they'd have to seed that lesson a couple times in different places to accommodate people who didn't just go straight to the body and barf twice.

Considering the competence I've seen in the game design so far, I'd expect there to be more balance in these outcomes later on.

edit: the key really is keeping it unpredictable, or predictable in a way that's supported by the game mechanics. (e.g. learning in what situations to trust your skills, etc)

Saganlives fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 12, 2019

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The struggle between my desire not to disappoint by good friend Kim and my desire to do dumb things is real.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

The struggle between my desire not to disappoint by good friend Kim and my desire to do dumb things is real.
Yeah, you really ought to have a conversation with your 10+ voices in your head about that. It can´t be healthy, you know.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kyle Hyde posted:

Game design speculation: If they're smart, they designed it this way to teach the player that success isn't always the only, or even best, way forward. Since it's an open world game, they'd have to seed that lesson a couple times in different places to accommodate people who didn't just go straight to the body and barf twice.

Considering the competence I've seen in the game design so far, I'd expect there to be more balance in these outcomes later on.

edit: the key really is keeping it unpredictable, or predictable in a way that's supported by the game mechanics. (e.g. learning in what situations to trust your skills, etc)

Seems very much so, at least so far. Failing skill checks doesn’t seem to stop your progress, it just makes you try different approaches and accept outcomes and paths you might not have wanted to take. It’s very much a ”live with the consequences of your choices and forge your own story that way” kind of game. And sometimes succeeding in skill checks might also get you outcomes you didn’t really want or consequences you didn’t anticipate.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Without having seen any streams/videos...
This sounds like the narrative/conflict balance of Planescape: Torment.
Confirm/Dispute? I mean I'll be getting it regards. The premise is just too drat interesting.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Actually, no, the narrative/conflict isn't the same because there is no conflict resolution mechanic that's separate from the way you engage with the rest of the game. Should you ever find yourself in a violent situation, you'll still be dealing with it through the same interface you use to deal with dialogue or opening doors.

The secret of Disco Elysium is that it's an incredibly elaborate CYOA with just enough flashy visual elements to stop you from thinking about it.

EDIT: I don't mean that as a slight, btw. "Incredibly elaborate CYOA game" is what Torment should have been too, given how weak the combat was and how little it added to the game.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Another stream for those who want to be spoiled, this one is a little further into the game:

https://www.twitch.tv/oldmanmordaith

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

has anyone shown a fight yet? i know (thank god) it won’t have traditional rpg fights but surely as a cop you get in conflict sometimes, is it it purely dialogue based?

i know an early trailer had the buildup to a fight

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Davincie posted:

has anyone shown a fight yet? i know (thank god) it won’t have traditional rpg fights but surely as a cop you get in conflict sometimes, is it it purely dialogue based?

i know an early trailer had the buildup to a fight

I believe so, given that they've said that the combat system is no different than the dialogue system.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

yeah I think it's just a dialog tree stat check. I can't wait to play as a true noir protagonist who gets beat up all the time

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Reality Sinner posted:

Have they said anything about console ports or controller support?

I think I saw them say in an interview that they'd like to if it does well on PC but no solid plans yet.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Honestly, I can't imagine the control scheme is *terribly* difficult to adapt compared to a lot of these cRPGs. The real-time elements basically just require you to move around, and the dialogue interface can be easily mapped to the controller, even the stuff like healing in the middle of morale damage.

I'm not saying a port is gonna be easy, frankly I don't know nothing about the game code (and because I know jackshit about game code anyway) but it certainly seems like the kind of game that could work on consoles. There are even options already for font sizes, so that's also already taken care of.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
This game looks like if supergiant made the zybourne click. Just found out about it and preordered, nice little surprise that it's coming out so soon

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

terrorist ambulance posted:

This game looks like if supergiant made the zybourne click. Just found out about it and preordered, nice little surprise that it's coming out so soon

I thought there was no preorder?

Though, I wouldn't be hugely surprised by a Johnny Five-Aces cameo.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 13, 2019

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
"Preorder" being wishlisted for the 15th so I don't forget but yes "preordered"

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I can confirm this game includes a Disco

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

When game

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Every time I see new replies to this thread I hope that someone has found a magical portal (with link) to where the game has come out early and I can play it before going back to work.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'm still trying to figure out what concept I wanna do, and it's so hard. Sam Vimes, Columbo, or just a raving lunatic.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Captain Magic posted:

Every time I see new replies to this thread I hope that someone has found a magical portal (with link) to where the game has come out early and I can play it before going back to work.

Same, except the portal actually skips to the beginning of Novermber when I'll actually have money to buy the game. :(

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Elswyyr posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what concept I wanna do, and it's so hard. Sam Vimes, Columbo, or just a raving lunatic.

Yeah. I keep going backwards and forwards on it. There are so many cool fictional detectives. I think I've settled on a cross between Sam Vimes and Will Graham: 6 intellect, 1 psyche, 4 fysique, 1 motorics + Espirit de Corps. The Miss Marple build looks fun too though: 4 intellect, 6 psyche, 1 fysique, 1 motorics + Empathy.

(Though Will Graham, despite doing the crime reconstruction thing in his head, is probably through massive Empathy rather than Visual Calculus, so that's likely a bad example.)

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 13, 2019

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can you make a really dumb and empathic cop?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yep. That's actually one of the defaults, not even a create-your-own only option.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Then I know what I'm doing, cheers

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Broken Cog posted:

Can you make a really dumb and empathic cop?

put your points in Psyche and take points out of Intellect

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Speaking of stats, I wonder how that evolves down the line. It looks like between the Thought Cabinet and various clothing the potential range between good and bad skills can be appreciable. I wonder if, like other games, initial stat choices become less relevant as time goes on because most of your increases come from external means.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kyle Hyde posted:

I wonder if, like other games, initial stat choices become less relevant as time goes on because most of your increases come from external means.

If that's the case, then I hope it's mostly done in terms of lateral, not linear progression. More solutions instead of more effective solutions, though by the looks of it that's how it's done in DE anyway.

Also, it's out in two more days and I still can't decide to CE myself a maxed out supercop or a cop with absolutely no points in anything.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

I wouldn't advise CE for the first run-through as you'd miss all the cool failure options.

In other news, some people have already finished the game and streamers have crossed over into subsequent days. Need my Disco fix, but it's all spoilers central by now. Tomorrow will be very hard :(

(Also, game happens to come out at the exact hour when I start my six-day working week. FML.)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gonna play as someone with completely midline stats and no Thoughts at all. game'll probably take like three hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
For some reason, the fact that the racist phrenology rear end in a top hat is called Measurehead really tickles me. It's a very simple, silly joke, but gently caress, that is the perfect name.