Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

little munchkin posted:

ok i spent a bunch of mana to answer their turn 2/3 play that has already gotten value. then they untapped again and cast nissa what do i do now

Oh poo poo I guess you're screwed, better quit magic

suicidesteve posted:

I was maindecking Noxious Grasp for a while in the last standard. It might be time to do that again.

Yeah but then I had to use a card and he already got value!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Remember in Lorwyn when planeswalkers were first introduced and all of them were playable to some degree, but none of them were backbreaking haymakers, and we were like, neat, maybe this new card type won't be too bad?

Hell, even the first** real example of "this planeswalker plausibly comes down, establishes a board presence, and wins the game all on its own" (OG Elspeth) seems positively quaint these days.

**Technically Garruk 1.0 could've done it, but in practice the decks he was played in at the time didn't use him that way.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

What is gaining a life if not value?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm kind of surprised they even put walkers in Eldraine. I thought after WAR, theyd figure they had enough of them in standard.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The Planeswalker design space has been pushed to hell recently, yeah. Sam Black is on camera at SCG talking about how Oko might be the best PW ever and it feels like we had that conversation just this year about Wrenn and Six, and maybe even for a few walkers in WAR. But planeswalkers sell packs so who knows when they'll be dialed back.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I'm kind of surprised they even put walkers in Eldraine. I thought after WAR, theyd figure they had enough of them in standard.

They will never not have Walkers in a standard set

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

Remember in Lorwyn when planeswalkers were first introduced and all of them were playable to some degree, but none of them were backbreaking haymakers, and we were like, neat, maybe this new card type won't be too bad?

Yeah, and there's 191 more of them since then.

Some of them will be good, as will be the types artifact, creature, enchantment, instant, land, and sorcery.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ShaneB posted:

Sam Black just stated "there's a greater than 50% chance Oko is the most powerful planeswalker ever printed" so... There's that.

It's certainly leading the pack of "least killable" planeswalkers ever printed.

why does it + on the 3/3 ability, jesus christ wizards

C-Euro posted:

The Planeswalker design space has been pushed to hell recently, yeah. Sam Black is on camera at SCG talking about how Oko might be the best PW ever and it feels like we had that conversation just this year about Wrenn and Six, and maybe even for a few walkers in WAR. But planeswalkers sell packs so who knows when they'll be dialed back.

Three mana Narset is a ludicrous card. Like, she immediately replaces herself, is an insane card if she's not immediately dealt with, and just sitting in play she can completely demolish some opponents' depending on their build and what they've drawn. Three mana Teferi has an effect that we used to pay 2UUU to play on a 3/4 creature, and it was good - why put that extremely useful effect on a Repulse that hits artifacts and enchantments too and then sticks around to do it again while giving you instant-speed wraths and discard? Oko costs three mana and has 8 loyalty the turn after! Why are these insane cards three mana? It's just ridiculous how much they pushed these cards.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hellsau posted:

It's certainly leading the pack of "least killable" planeswalkers ever printed.

why does it + on the 3/3 ability, jesus christ wizards

Three mana Narset is a ludicrous card. Like, she immediately replaces herself, is an insane card if she's not immediately dealt with, and just sitting in play she can completely demolish some opponents' depending on their build and what they've drawn. Three mana Teferi has an effect that we used to pay 2UUU to play on a 3/4 creature, and it was good - why put that extremely useful effect on a Repulse that hits artifacts and enchantments too and then sticks around to do it again while giving you instant-speed wraths and discard? Oko costs three mana and has 8 loyalty the turn after! Why are these insane cards three mana? It's just ridiculous how much they pushed these cards.

As a non-blue player I don't really care about Narset too much but the rest of this post is a wholly accurate if restrained characterisation of my grievances.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
If Oko started with 1 less loyalty he would be fine. Fine to the point where he might not even be good, seeing as he would immediately die to Fry even with a +2 and still get blown up by Questing Beast after a +1 (if you don't use it to make a 3/3 to chump).

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
"Permanently make your permanent completely useless" should absolutely not be a +1.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The 3/3 ability should've been a -1, make a food token should've been +1 and they probably were until someone got spooked that the marquee planeswalker for the set might not be pushed enough. As it is he'll be menace for the next few years unless we get some really good PW removal in the next set.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mat Cauthon posted:

The 3/3 ability should've been a -1, make a food token should've been +1 and they probably were until someone got spooked that the marquee planeswalker for the set might not be pushed enough. As it is he'll be menace for the next few years unless we get some really good PW removal in the next set.

Elder Spell and Murderous Rider are enough, I think. Red needs an answer. Hopefully, they realized that for the next set.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlternateNu posted:

Elder Spell and Murderous Rider are enough, I think. Red needs an answer. Hopefully, they realized that for the next set.

Fry should've been an answer since it can blot out Teferi, Time Raveler, but he's just so loyal.

Odd for a shapeshifting trickster.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Since it costs 2 and doesn't hit players, it really could've safely been 6 damage. It's pathetic as-is.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

AlternateNu posted:

Elderspell is one of the wildest hate cards they've ever printed - a Plague Wind effect with upside for two mana is a crazy rate.

It shows that at least somebody is aware of how pushed the walkers are these days.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tubgoat posted:

Since it costs 2 and doesn't hit players, it really could've safely been 6 damage. It's pathetic as-is.

It's a better Combust which spent its entire life as a valuable sideboard card. Fry's great, it's just they made a fucker that has a number be one more than it should be.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

No, Oko has one number that's lower than it should be - Oko at 2UG with the same stats is probably fine. Other than that, you'd have to change the initial loyalty to 2 and change the +1 to a +0, or change the starting loyalty to 3 and the +1 to a -1 and probably the +2 to a +1 to get it to a more reasonable power level.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There's zero reason the transform effect should be a positive number. It should have been 0 at best

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

There's zero reason the transform effect should be a positive number. It should have been 0 at best

Pongifying on a + is a hell of a thing in UG, yeah.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Seconded, thirded, fourthed, etc.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/clt/d/rosemount-collectible-gold-level-magic/6998343700.html
These are for sure stolen, right? $2 for a Bloodstained Mire? Someone stole these and has no idea how to use the internet to find out what they're worth, because little else is above bulk.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Seconded, thirded, fourthed, etc.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/clt/d/rosemount-collectible-gold-level-magic/6998343700.html
These are for sure stolen, right? $2 for a Bloodstained Mire? Someone stole these and has no idea how to use the internet to find out what they're worth, because little else is above bulk.

Honestly those cards read “I played Magic for like a year and a half and it was neat” and little else to me, Mire is the only worthwhile card there.

Genuinely possible someone played and doesn’t know the one good land they packed is good.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Either stolen or being sold off by a parent or relative that isn't familiar with the game.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
There's other listings such as Wurmcoil Engine and Ghoulcaller Gisa for $5 apiece, lol. Poor bastard wants $1 per uncommon.
Apparently Nykthos is $10 market. Neat.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

My guess is that they deliberately chose for Oko to be able to live through fry because they didn't want their marquee card to be taken out so easily

It was a bad choice

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

My guess is that they deliberately chose for Oko to be able to live through fry because they didn't want their marquee card to be taken out so easily

It was a bad choice

Ah, the Gideon, Ally of Zendikar style of intentionally overpushed planeswalkers.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hellsau posted:

Ah, the Gideon, Ally of Zendikar style of intentionally overpushed planeswalkers.

Except Oko is modern-playable??

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

Except Oko is modern-playable??

Oko costs 3 and...

is Oko more powerful than Gideon Ally of Zendikar? Like....just straight up? I guess you have to build around Oko a little bit more, maybe have other random stuff you wanna turn into 3/3s or other uses for the food, but it's not that far off.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
My point was more that I don't think GAOZ is modern playable, but if he actually is then, neat, decklist please.
I can see Oko in a Simic tempo list. Actually, gently caress, make it Bant, Hierarch into either turn 2 T3feri or Oko sounds nightmarish.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think that Orzhov Smallpox list has been running Gids to some success.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I've seen Gideon in some of the bw token decks that lean a bit more on super friend builds. There are better options I think though

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is a good sideboard card in mardu shadow and uw stoneblade variants in modern.

I remember Sam Black stating that his gw tokens standard deck was stronger than caw blade in its time, so there's that. Oko is very good , but it's probably not the best planeswalker of all time. I think W6 still holds that title.

Unrelated, but has anyone been playing the niv mizzet bring to light deck? I've been trying it for a week now, and it's fun as hell to play and surprisingly good. You can play 5 colors pretty easily because of astrolabe, and then you have access to all the best cards in modern, run a ton of lifegain to combat aggro, have one of the best card advantage engines, and run glittering wish plus bring to light to be able to tutor for any answer. It's a bit slow and clunky at times, but its sheer power offsets that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I really want to play the 5c Niv deck but can't justify dropping $400 on Pillar of the Paruns and W6s in paper. Maybe if W6 gets a little cheaper online I will build it there.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

C-Euro posted:

I really want to play the 5c Niv deck but can't justify dropping $400 on Pillar of the Paruns and W6s in paper. Maybe if W6 gets a little cheaper online I will build it there.
*Ron Howard voice* It wouldn't.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I imagine Wrenn and Six will get cheaper when it gets banned!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

SCG Day 2:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ModernMagic/comments/dhdidk/scg_indianapolis_day_2_metagame/

Interesting that Titan is tied with UrzAscendency for representation. The Green Castle and Once Upon a Time both do make the deck feel a lot less messy to play. I've yet to actually play it against any of the Urza decks, what is the match-up supposed to be like?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

SCG Day 2:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ModernMagic/comments/dhdidk/scg_indianapolis_day_2_metagame/

Interesting that Titan is tied with UrzAscendency for representation. The Green Castle and Once Upon a Time both do make the deck feel a lot less messy to play. I've yet to actually play it against any of the Urza decks, what is the match-up supposed to be like?

Lol, Urza is 24 of those decks. So long, Opal! This is Urza's format now!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Lol, Urza is 24 of those decks. So long, Opal! This is Urza's format now!

27 actually! :science:

I do think this is a problem for Modern, especially when the decks require such disparate hate to combat

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

fadam posted:

SCG Day 2:

I've played Amulet Titan, and I've played Urza, though not against each other. I would never want to be on the Amulet side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I've played Amulet Titan, and I've played Urza, though not against each other. I would never want to be on the Amulet side.

Recurring EE alone sounds like heck