Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

GoldStandardConure posted:

Elliot Goldenthals score for Alien 3 is highly underrated. The performance of Adagio and Lento in this concert are amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX6W-DZDkqg

yeah i love the Ali3n score. but then i can remember the woozy alien ressurection theme immediately too, and the music in Prometheus and Covenant are both tops too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

alf_pogs posted:

and the music in Prometheus and Covenant are both tops too

Too bad about the rest of those movies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so what's different with this new alien documentary? there's already one that goes deep into the production that's been out for ages.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

so what's different with this new alien documentary? there's already one that goes deep into the production that's been out for ages.

Memory focuses pretty much entirely on Dan O'Bannon and the process of him writing the script & pitching it to studios etc.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Memory focuses pretty much entirely on Dan O'Bannon and the process of him writing the script & pitching it to studios etc.

nice hopefully they mock his terrible monster design.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Groovelord Neato posted:

nice hopefully they mock his terrible monster design.

the beach ball in Darkstar makes an appearance

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm watching the Alien 3 Special Edition for the first time in years and holy poo poo this montage of Newt's funeral and the alien being born from the ox is cash. It's a cold cruel movie coming after Aliens, but taken on its own terms it has a lot to offer so far.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The quadrilogy one did that too.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just saw Alien in theaters with my family. It was amazing in cinema. Yo, get on that fantom event poo poo soon, yo.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Memory was ok. I dunno if its worth $7 or whatever if you've already seen the bluray doc or whatever the big one is that's been out. Theres a few little extra Geiger tidbits but most of it felt like stuff you've seen before.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Too bad about the rest of those movies.

What do you mean?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A bad thought

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CelticPredator posted:

The quadrilogy one did that too.

Its been a long time since I've watched those docos so it's hard to remember what is in what doco.

And I saw Memory at a film festival as part of a Memory + Alien double feature so that was good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Covok posted:

I just saw Alien in theaters with my family. It was amazing in cinema. Yo, get on that fantom event poo poo soon, yo.

I did that as well but missed the first 15 minutes because I got out of the shower and got a notification from Google about an event I had today, "What...? Alien? I don't reme... OH poo poo." Rushed my as to downtown LA as fast as I could. I bought the tickets in May so I'm not surprised this completely slipped my mind.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Alien 3 is pretty good but like Covenant it’s far better before it turns into running around getting picked off by the alien. Give me more weird religious imagery and Charles Dance acting!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Christmas gift

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
More like old ringless. :goatsecx:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Check out Underwater for a bunch of Alien references slapped together into a film.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Check out Underwater for a bunch of Alien references slapped together into a film.

Can I just watch Leviathan again instead?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Horrible Taste posted:

Just watch Alien again instead

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Horrible Taste posted:

You can, but Underwater is much better.

It’s also an extremely good companion piece to Alien - the closest thing we have to a “straight” Alien sequel, without the various twists and gimmicks seen in the ‘official’ Alien films (and most of the unofficial ones).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My favorite thing about Leviathan is killing off Ernie Hudson from a random shark right before they're rescued.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
Dark Horse is following up the comic adaptation of William Gibson's Alien 3 screenplay with one for Dan O'Bannon's original Alien screenplay in April:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My hope is that this is a sign that they'll do adaptations of some of the other screenplays, like Vincent Ward's "wooden planet" Alien3 script, or the first draft of the 'Alien Resurrection' script that had a few added characters, alternate deaths for most people, some added action setpieces, a different depiction of the Newborn, and an alternate ending set on Earth.

Like yeah I know people like to go "lol Joss Whedon" but I still think it'd be pretty novel to see it adapted.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I have a feeling they won't make the alien look the way O'Bannon drew it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

I have a feeling they won't make the alien look the way O'Bannon drew it.

I hope they use the Ron Cobb 4-legged brundlefly look.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

I hope they use the Ron Cobb 4-legged brundlefly look.

gently caress yeah

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

My favorite thing about Leviathan is killing off Ernie Hudson from a random shark right before they're rescued.

I watched that movie like 5 times when younger and never figured out how he died; I thought he just sank for no reason.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Darko posted:

I watched that movie like 5 times when younger and never figured out how he died; I thought he just sank for no reason.

I was glad for that in retrospect because when a similar sequence happens at the end of Deep Blue Sea I was full expecting the same thing to happen but then it instead ends with LL Cool J and Thomas Jane surviving to swim the earth thwarting intelligent shark-related crimes.

I'm still angry we didn't get a batshit sequel that got both of them back instead of the barely watchable dogshit "sequel" that happened instead.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Darko posted:

Ernie Hudson gets killed by the huge creature that shows up and obviously kills him, not a random shark. Although the editing sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa1uJbTy6XE

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Hunterhr posted:

Ernie Hudson gets killed by the huge creature that shows up and obviously kills him, not a random shark. Although the editing sucks.

You're not kidding. "Okay, our monster doesn't hold up at all in broad daylight, so we'll have it thrash around like an idiot and cut to a different angle every half a second."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh yeah I totally forgot it was a really bad monster. I did remember it being horribly edited but my memory was of sharks for some reason.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Groovelord Neato posted:

Oh yeah I totally forgot it was a really bad monster. I did remember it being horribly edited but my memory was of sharks for some reason.

Sharks would have been better. I love me some good shark scenes. :(

Kamaitachi
Feb 20, 2004
Grimey Drawer
The monster has claws, fangs, tentacles, is capable of absorbing other lifeforms into itself, but it kills Ernie by holding his head under water and drowning him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hunterhr posted:

I actually didn't know it was called Leviathan until this year. I watched it as a kid as a random Saturday movie on one of the channels and remembered the scene where Stern has the poo poo under his pillow and gets mad, the monster gets it leg cut off by the door and an eel slithers out, the eel jumps into that guy's stomach, and Ernie Hudson getting killed at the end. So randomly this year I googled the actors and "underwater" and found out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kamaitachi posted:

The monster has claws, fangs, tentacles, is capable of absorbing other lifeforms into itself, but it kills Ernie by holding his head under water and drowning him.

Occam’s razorclaw.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hunterhr posted:

A fun ending for that situation would be if like, the main character's attempt to blow it up fails for whatever reason but then the blood draws a bunch of sharks and they just completely gently caress the monster up and rip it apart in a feeding frenzy. So like there was no threat to the world at all because regular natural animals can just own it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Anybody get the Alien RPG book? I couldn’t find a thread in traditional games

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hunterhr posted:

For some reason, all I remember is him sinking like a moron for no reason and *then* the monster shows up. And I do remember a shark fin or something before that (edit, there is a shark attack before that). Now I'm going to search the internet and see if theres a TV edit or something.

Darko fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The movie's on Prime so I rewatched it and what happens is a bunch of sharks circle and swim at them for a bit before swimming off THEN the monster pops up and gets Hudson right as the helicopter is about to save them. And that part is poorly edited.