Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Pixelated Boat is doxxing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

Papercut posted:

Lifelong Government employees risking their careers to reporting wrongdoing through the proper channels is exactly how it should work.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

SgtSteel91 posted:

No one is mentioning Discord as an alternative to Facebook/Instagram/etc. to keep on touch with people or am I missing something?

Discord actively gives Nazis a platform to plot how they will kill people. Seriously: https://thinkprogress.org/virginia-jury-heather-heyer-neo-nazi-james-alex-fields-life-prison-2e1796023a2f/ "rally attendees on a Discord chat server celebrated the news of Fields’ car attack on a peaceful march several blocks away."

Also Discord allows Nazis to come in to Minecraft servers and actively recruit children to their hate servers: https://slate.com/technology/2018/10/discord-safe-space-white-supremacists.html

We've had this argument a few times in this thread so I will be careful to say, yes there are good communities on Discord that do good things and help people who genuinely need community and help.

However, Discord in its current state and administration is broken and actively enabling Nazis to kill people, all in the name of earning more money for its investors. This is unconscionable and must not be supported, period.

So delete your Discord, get the gently caress off there. Take your friends and groups elsewhere (signal, etc.). Life will go on without Discord.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

Discord actively gives Nazis a platform to plot how they will kill people.

Isn't this also going on with Telegram too

https://slate.com/technology/2019/08/telegram-white-nationalists-el-paso-shooting-facebook.html

Seriously, get your friends using Signal so we can sell it better than "it's the chat app Ed Snowden says to use because it's secure and not owned by a social media monster"

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

BiggerBoat posted:

I forget where I read it but I saw an article that said that not having any social media presence actually decreased your ability to land a job. Not sure why though.
There’s also the way less :tinfoil: reason of a bigger group of contacts being a bigger source of offers and references.

Yeah obviously companies are asking for your Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn accounts because capitalism is a hellscape and they want to control you, but also two of my recent jobs came from people I don’t talk to on a daily basis hooking me up with a friend who was hiring because they knew I was looking, and one of those friends is in their current job the same way, and he skipped the normal hiring process because he got referred by a friend of the manager, and so on and so on.

In retrospect this came out more as an indictment of capitalism than the usefulness of Facebook

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 13, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OddObserver posted:

Though pretty sure under Texas norms having a gun close when some stranger is skulking around the backyard would also be acceptable.

*If you're white

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
If, somehow, the cop had missed and the victim had fired back and struck him dead, as he had not identified himself, I'm sure the Texas Penal Corporation couldn't slam her into the jail slavery system fast enough.

But we all know, that, I'm just venting because my state sucks and East Baton Rouge managed to re-segregate itself.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I don't honestly know if I would be less worried of a facebook in which the generally aware and principled progressive folk have self-excluded themselves from the largest cultural exchange medium of the modern day. I know it would work at a specific critical mass but I openly question if we will ever have that critical mass, rather than just a facebook where we're not engaging the less politically inclined, and have allowed others to set the narrative.

That said, though, facebook engagement of political views is a harsh labor and certainly never worth considering obligatory, because goddamn.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

AmiYumi posted:

There’s also the way less :tinfoil: reason of a bigger group of contacts being a bigger source of offers and references.

Yeah obviously companies are asking for your Twitter/Facebook/LinkedIn accounts because capitalism is a hellscape and they want to control you, but also two of my recent jobs came from people I don’t talk to on a daily basis hooking me up with a friend who was hiring because they knew I was looking, and one of those friends is in their current job the same way, and he skipped the normal hiring process because he got referred by a friend of the manager, and so on and so on.

In retrospect this came out more as an indictment of capitalism than the usefulness of Facebook

People found jobs through networking before Facebook and LinkedIn...

What you're describing is basically 'I was looking for a job and reached out to some friends, look at what they helped me find!' You can do the same thing with a telephone, SMS message, coffee meeting, or e-mail to all your friends ('hey everyone, long time no talk.. oh by the way I'm looking for new opportunities so please reach out!')

Like we collectively have forgotten how to operate without some single app or corporation mediating everything. I feel like anyone under 30 just has no idea that things like finding jobs, new friends, etc. was even possible before apps and Facebook.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

What you're describing is basically 'I was looking for a job and reached out to some friends, look at what they helped me find!' You can do the same thing with a telephone, SMS message, coffee meeting, or e-mail to all your friends ('hey everyone, long time no talk.. oh by the way I'm looking for new opportunities so please reach out!')

Like we collectively have forgotten how to operate without some single app or corporation mediating everything. I feel like anyone under 30 just has no idea that things like finding jobs, new friends, etc. was even possible before apps and Facebook.

Yeah, just walk into that place of business in your best suit and shined shoes and fill out a paper application like I did back in 1952.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

BiggerBoat posted:

I forget where I read it but I saw an article that said that not having any social media presence actually decreased your ability to land a job. Not sure why though.

Employers Googling your name before your interview, seeing you have no presence, and thinking you are trying to hide something. Or seeing your Facebook, and seeing you post a ton of Burn the Rich. Then you get quietly rejected.

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
https://twitter.com/dave_brown24/status/1183441421531045890?s=21

You hate to see it.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

mod sassinator posted:

I'm not quite sure why you're trying to turn this into a conflict of generations, considering the rapid rate at which older individuals have also turned to applications like Facebook and Instagram. Creating false flashpoints like this serves little more than dividing groups with mutual interests and stakes in confronting the issue at hand. We're all in this together, no good will come out of trying to create animosity and division!

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dammerung posted:

I'm not quite sure why you're trying to turn this into a conflict of generations, considering the rapid rate at which older individuals have also turned to applications like Facebook and Instagram. Creating false flashpoints like this serves little more than dividing groups with mutual interests and stakes in confronting the issue at hand. We're all in this together, no good will come out of trying to create animosity and division!

Counterpoint: gently caress anyone over 21, Logan's Run described a utopia.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Kavros posted:

I don't honestly know if I would be less worried of a facebook in which the generally aware and principled progressive folk have self-excluded themselves from the largest cultural exchange medium of the modern day. I know it would work at a specific critical mass but I openly question if we will ever have that critical mass, rather than just a facebook where we're not engaging the less politically inclined, and have allowed others to set the narrative.

That said, though, facebook engagement of political views is a harsh labor and certainly never worth considering obligatory, because goddamn.

It's a full time job with overtime for no pay. In this respect I feel justified in considering conservatism and it's varied tentacles as fundamentally entropic. Powerful interests have the generational wealth and influence to flood every level of our media and social engagement with bad faith anti-collective, anti-social programming. Our Boomer parents can plug in to a far right radio station, television program, podcast, social media page, and hate board at any time and once inculcated will seek to do so on their own for comfort and validation that they need not change. As they disengage from objective reality and sink into amniotic conservatism, they vote for more exploitation, more tax breaks, more oppression of minorities, and more power to the system that abuses them. So those entropic Captains of Industry gain more wealth to further fracture and consume the society they feed on. If you try to fight a war of idea exposure and conscience it's an uphill battle at best and the media organs that could actually do the things the right wing accuses them of and help is more interested in profit. So.

Religion failed to overcome anti-social reactionary politics. So did newspapers, secularization, student movements, electronic mass media, social media and whatever the next evolution of human socialization becomes will likely fail too. You're fighting the entropic decline of civilization. Obviously we've continued to exist as a species and have several nice accomplishments to our name but it's not going to stop.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

winterwerefox posted:

Employers Googling your name before your interview, seeing you have no presence, and thinking you are trying to hide something. Or seeing your Facebook, and seeing you post a ton of Burn the Rich. Then you get quietly rejected.

That's if you get past the auto sorters HR uses to disqualify applications before they ever get to the managers who'll have to choose who to hire. I've had more than many applications sent to people I know personally who've had go to their HR department and demand my application by name because on their end of the HR portal it looked like I had never tried.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
If you want a slightly softer way to "delete" Facebook, just unfollow everything. I wanted to keep my presence on Facebook for events and such, but was hating it more and more so I just unfollowed every single person or page or group. My news feed is just an error now. And without the cocaine of the News Feed I instantly stopped wasting time on it. My general mood has improved significantly.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I think someone mentioned it here but a good way to start with weaning from social media is just to take it off your phone even if you still have accounts. I actively got rid of my Twitter account, but for other stuff I just didn't put any of the apps on my phone when I got a new one this year even though I still have Facebook and Instagram accounts. (I do have discord for a small group I chat with.)

Instagram I don't really use at all. Time spent reading or posting on Facebook is probably down at least 95 percent, I check it a time or two when I'm home with computer and rarely post. I'm really not tempted to post a picture of my dessert etc. when I'm out and about. It gets rid of the need to post obsessively about where you are and what you're doing. If there's anything notable you can take a pic or vid and post about it later... or not.

It's a fair compromise allowing contact with friends who primarily use Facebook but yeah it'd be preferable to get rid of it entirely.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

There's a potential active shooter at town center Mall in Boca. No news reports yet but I know some people that were fleeing. One of my friends said they heard shots, and another said they ran out with everyone else.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I only really use Twitter and Tumblr (lol) to follow fan artists and see their latest work.

There’s not really any alternative to that

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 13, 2019

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, just walk into that place of business in your best suit and shined shoes and fill out a paper application like I did back in 1952.

gently caress off with your strawman, that's not what I said and you know it. Bad behavior needs to be called out and not tolerated. That's how internet communities keep from turning to poo poo.

Your behavior is bad. Stop it, we can all see it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

I know it's insanely petty compared to the hourly horror that is our current existence, but I cannot believe that this man is just literally a human blobfish.

Somewhere a casting agent is franticaly phoning a director "You know that role of 'Obviously massively corrupt sleazy ex-soviet businessman' we haven't been able to cast? Well turn on channel 6"

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mod sassinator posted:

Discord actively gives Nazis a platform to plot how they will kill people.

nazis have also used

every other messenger
irc
http
phones
their mouths

to plot how they will kill people

what i dont understand about discord is how they arnt bankrupt yet

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

gently caress off with your strawman, that's not what I said and you know it. Bad behavior needs to be called out and not tolerated. That's how internet communities keep from turning to poo poo.

Your behavior is bad. Stop it, we can all see it.

No, you're berating people at length for being concerned about the employment impacts of their lack of social media presence, then going an awful boomer rant about how nobody remembers how to do things without technology.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i mean there was that guy who asked for ammo advice in a thread years back then went on a killing or something to that effect

so delete sa, too

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hello, I am looking for ethical consumption undet capitalism.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

nazis have also used

every other messenger
irc
http
phones
their mouths

to plot how they will kill people

They also use their voices, what are you trying to say with this confused argument? We need to shut down every possible avenue of communication? Like we all just stop talking and turn into monks?

I'm really trying to understand what your argument is besides 'I _must_ defend this logical issue, someone is _wrong_ on the internet!'

There are plenty of ways for people to communicate. We should not be supporting businesses that profit from and even actively give platform to Nazis.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Discord sells your information just like everyone else.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

Discord actively gives Nazis a platform to plot how they will kill people. Seriously: https://thinkprogress.org/virginia-jury-heather-heyer-neo-nazi-james-alex-fields-life-prison-2e1796023a2f/ "rally attendees on a Discord chat server celebrated the news of Fields’ car attack on a peaceful march several blocks away."

Also Discord allows Nazis to come in to Minecraft servers and actively recruit children to their hate servers: https://slate.com/technology/2018/10/discord-safe-space-white-supremacists.html

We've had this argument a few times in this thread so I will be careful to say, yes there are good communities on Discord that do good things and help people who genuinely need community and help.

However, Discord in its current state and administration is broken and actively enabling Nazis to kill people, all in the name of earning more money for its investors. This is unconscionable and must not be supported, period.

So delete your Discord, get the gently caress off there. Take your friends and groups elsewhere (signal, etc.). Life will go on without Discord.

Discord is irc with voice chat stapled on and a better gui. The only person I've ever seen on your side of this argument is Kerning Chameleon.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

fool_of_sound posted:

No, you're berating people at length for being concerned about the employment impacts of their lack of social media presence, then going an awful boomer rant about how nobody remembers how to do things without technology.

The only person I'm targeting is you because you asked for it. Somehow you've turned 'facebook is bad!' into a personal attack. Maybe it's time to step back and wonder why you take Facebook so personally.

And I'm not a boomer, or a gen x'er.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol, gently caress a Facebook . :justpost:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

YodaTFK posted:

Discord is irc with voice chat stapled on and a better gui. The only person I've ever seen on your side of this argument is Kerning Chameleon.

You're ridiculous. Discord is IRC with voice chat and hundreds of millions of dollars in venture funding and investors. But sure, continue to tell me how just 'IRC + voice chat' is totally cool and not under control or able to be corrupted by outside influences.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

The only person I'm targeting is you because you asked for it. Somehow you've turned 'facebook is bad!' into a personal attack. Maybe it's time to step back and wonder why you take Facebook so personally.

And I'm not a boomer, or a gen x'er.

Please stop pretending you can't remember further back than your last post. You just made multiple exhortations aimed at the thread in general to remove themselves from social media, multiple people brought up that a lack of social media presence inhibits job seeking for a variety of reasons, you responded by exclaiming that nobody remembers how networking and hiring used to work prior to social media, as though nothing has changed in the last fifteen years.

mod sassinator posted:

You're ridiculous. Discord is IRC with voice chat and hundreds of millions of dollars in venture funding and investors. But sure, continue to tell me how just 'IRC + voice chat' is totally cool and not under control or able to be corrupted by outside influences.

ISPs allow nazis to purchase internet access, post bigotry, and access white nationalist websites. There is no ethical consumption under capitalism. These are problems that cannot be solved via boycott or other market forces.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 13, 2019

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Man, I am definitely getting old --- why would kids these days want voice chat to go with IRC? (Now better GUI? That's needed badly.)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The internet is garbage.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Zedlic posted:

If you want a slightly softer way to "delete" Facebook, just unfollow everything. I wanted to keep my presence on Facebook for events and such, but was hating it more and more so I just unfollowed every single person or page or group. My news feed is just an error now. And without the cocaine of the News Feed I instantly stopped wasting time on it. My general mood has improved significantly.

I second this. Deleted the app from my phone, unfollowed everything and everyone, and use FB once a week or so to check for poo poo like events from my running group and whatnot. There is no reason whatsoever for me to open up the site now. It was life-changing and freeing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

I'm genuinely confused what you think the end goal of your argument is. Like where does the line cut off in this case? I'm not talking about "Actively Helping The Nazis" stuff, but like you're posting on Something Awful. It's a website which has had all sorts of corruption and outside influences and has been the home of some of the world people on the internet before it got too extreme and they were forced off. Places like 4chan and Kiwifarms were born here and part of why they were able to be born here was because it took a very long time to respond to what they were doing. Why are you still posting here if you feel this level of anger?

"Cut off all contact with friends and others" isn't a viable answer and if you're going to argue "has investors and funding" invalidates something then you're left with literally nothing except I don't know carrier pigeons?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Apologies if this is primary chat bc Hunter Biden isn't a candidate.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1183379189619146753?s=19

How does this help? This just legitimizes the idea that he did something wrong in Ukraine. They are so loving bad at this.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm a 29 year old male in tech who hasn't had facebook since 2009 and have never had an instagram. I a Linked in that i don't know the password too because my marketing department made it for me and runs it.

I have a twitter through which I never tweet and mostly exists for me to read the weird cross section of NFL, CFB, MMA, NatSEc and Defense Policy news that interests me. The specific reason I have one is bc NFL Draft picks are posted a whole 3 mins before they are announced on TV.

I occasionally retweet, but only have two IRL Friends on it so *shrug*

I stay in contact with friends and family over text and phone calls. Phone calls are nice.

My internet friends and I have PS4, discord and these forums.

You can absolutely have a social life and be aware of things happening around without. You aren't missing anything by not seeing anyone's posts and social media is the most masturbatory thing you can do short of actually playing with yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/lummideast/status/1183472975917604864