Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

IPCRESS posted:

What I'm hearing is that SA-21s in the hands of non state actors is a thing that might happen.

Only if Russian troops on vacation are driving them in the prospective new Russian Oblast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I never tire of these splinter ace combat colors.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I knew that was an F-18 but I also refused to accept that was an F-18 because of the colors and the Russian rondel. I know opfor training is a thing but my mind still couldn't parse that. v0v

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
With the one on the tail, I just assumed Jerry Jones went mad with power and started buying fighter aircraft.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This video runs long, but the first minute or two has good shots of Ospreys popping flares and doing evasive maneuvers during MANPADS avoidance training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yptyKUSjBT4

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

mlmp08 posted:

I never tire of these splinter ace combat colors.

Swedish People's Army Air Force F/A-18

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What if We Nuke a City?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mlmp08 posted:

This video runs long, but the first minute or two has good shots of Ospreys popping flares and doing evasive maneuvers during MANPADS avoidance training.

Trick title, all ground is a threat for the Osprey

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It’s bad, Jim.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/world/middleeast/russia-bombing-syrian-hospitals.html

NY Times did an investigation cross referencing radio recordings, social media, and spotter logs to prove Russian bombers were deliberately targeting hospitals in Syria.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

US pilots asked to pop Turkish forces

https://twitter.com/Global_Mil_Info/status/1183183910764765186?s=09

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb, Destroyer of Seeb.

What the gently caress is going on?!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Captain Log posted:

Infrastructure week

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Syrian Lannister posted:

Infrastructure week

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1183409101327536128?s=21

He has added Groverhaus to Cities: Skyline.

This isn’t very airpower but anything to, for 10 seconds, take my mind off CENTCOM.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Captain Log posted:

This entire thing centers around Trump unilaterally yanking the rug out from under the Turks in a very sudden and unexpected way. I doubt Trump actually knew much of anything about the Kurds or the coalition supporting them, nor did he likely consider things like "consequences" when he did this. There are decent odds he was convinced after a bit of ego stroking in a 1:1 call with Erdogan that it would make him look good for personally pulling US troops out of the Middle East and ~even getting paid to do it~ or whatever.

When he eventually realizes the obvious (that it makes him look like a tremendous moron and/or rear end in a top hat even to half of his own base) he'll immediately flip-flop and try to do something to make himself look like less of a sucker in the process.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 13, 2019

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Okay but what the gently caress is going on? Who's invading? Is the SAA fighting the Turks? What's happening to SDF? Who controls the skies? I'm lost. I'm hearing we're pulling more troops back.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Hauldren Collider posted:

Okay but what the gently caress is going on? Who's invading? Is the SAA fighting the Turks? What's happening to SDF? Who controls the skies? I'm lost. I'm hearing we're pulling more troops back.

Turkey, No, They're fighting the Turks, Turkey controls the skies.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This will clear it all up

https://twitter.com/facethenation/status/1183371189256884231?s=21

Wait, poo poo, I meant to post an explainer about Midichlorians

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So part of my guess was right. Congrats on our former allies switching sides.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

And there it is

reuters posted:

BEIRUT/QAMISHLI, Syria, (Reuters) - The Syrian government and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces have been holding negotiations at a Russian airbase in Syria, a Syrian Kurdish politician told Reuters on Sunday, expressing hope for a deal that would halt a Turkish attack.

e: poo poo, thought this was in GIP. gimme a sixer or whatever

dubzee fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 13, 2019

brains
May 12, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

this is fantastic training and i wish like hell i was able to get smokey sams* for my guys. unfortunately if you're asking army range control civilians (or the ASP) for loving anything outside of the usual qualification fire they're used to, they act like you're asking for their firstborn child. glad to see the marines having better luck.

building realistic aerial gunnery ranges (not just the lame-rear end "fly down a corridor and shoot this car/spray paint/pile of rocks") was definitely one of the more fun parts of my job.

*my only criticism is that the real thing moves incredibly fast, like hard-for-your-mind-to-process fast. but the training value is still solid.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
One time I was around for a training event where a smokey SAM scared the pilot so hard that he insisted the door gunner open fire. A couple times. Despite questioning the order.

Fortunately, no one was killed when the door gunner let fly with the minigun. Pilot apparently forgot he was on a no-fire range where smokey SAMs are not to be fired upon as opposed to the remotely fired smokey SAM range where returning fire is authorized.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mlmp08 posted:

One time I was around for a training event where a smokey SAM scared the pilot so hard that he insisted the door gunner open fire. A couple times. Despite questioning the order.

Fortunately, no one was killed when the door gunner let fly with the minigun. Pilot apparently forgot he was on a no-fire range where smokey SAMs are not to be fired upon as opposed to the remotely fired smokey SAM range where returning fire is authorized.

Pilot awarded for quick thinking, gunner court martialed for opening fire in a no-fire range.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

McNally posted:

Pilot awarded for quick thinking, gunner court martialed for opening fire in a no-fire range.
Helicopter pilots are officers now?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Last i checked to fly anything in the us military you have to be an officer.

Edit: warrant officer for army helicopters. Do you need a degree to be a warrant?

Stravag fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 13, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Warrant officers also fly helicopters, but technically CWO-2 and above hold commissions. N/A in the USAF, they don't have WOs at all.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Remulak posted:

Exceptions were made during Vietnam for non-commisioned (and warrant officer) helo pilots, IIRC. Too many helis, not enough people. I've heard of fixed wing pilots being retrained to fly the things. Imagine learning to use the C-141 and then getting shuttled off to fly the Huey before having the chance. Wah-wah.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Remulak posted:

For all intents and purposes, warrant officers are officers.

Except paid less.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

NightGyr posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/world/middleeast/russia-bombing-syrian-hospitals.html

NY Times did an investigation cross referencing radio recordings, social media, and spotter logs to prove Russian bombers were deliberately targeting hospitals in Syria.

So should I even ask why they would do this

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to guess they consider anyone who isn't an ally or in allied territory to be fair game.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
What's the point of fighting by the rules if you're backing up Bashar al-Torture Prisons, I guess.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

So should I even ask why they would do this

To make civilians flee the country.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb, Destroyer of Seeb.
Turkish backed SFA executed a Kurdish politician and everyone with her.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/10/13/middleeast/syria-turkey-kurdish-politician-intl/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

I wouldn’t watch the video, it shows a handcuffed woman on the ground getting shot.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

McNally posted:

For all intents and purposes, warrant officers are officers.

Except paid less.

lol, except for the ‘getting off Scott-free’ part.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/RojavaNetwork/status/1183521682646093830?p=v

Unconfirmed stories rolling in that Kurdish forces were hit by a barrel bomb from [s]syrian/s] unknown aircraft.

Looks like proxy war's back on the menu, boys.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 14, 2019

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

brains posted:

this is fantastic training and i wish like hell i was able to get smokey sams* for my guys. unfortunately if you're asking army range control civilians (or the ASP) for loving anything outside of the usual qualification fire they're used to, they act like you're asking for their firstborn child. glad to see the marines having better luck.

building realistic aerial gunnery ranges (not just the lame-rear end "fly down a corridor and shoot this car/spray paint/pile of rocks") was definitely one of the more fun parts of my job.

*my only criticism is that the real thing moves incredibly fast, like hard-for-your-mind-to-process fast. but the training value is still solid.

Trying to out maneuver a SAM with a tilt or rotary wing aircraft is pointless. Either the countermeasures work or they don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkld7L_pvz4

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

To make civilians flee the country.

This is the answer. Assad was running a sectarian civil war against ~70% of his country, only pulled back from the brink of losing by the Iranian and Russian interventions. Killing millions is actually pretty hard. Killing hundreds of thousands to make those millions flee to escape the hell you created is much, much easier.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SimonCat posted:

Trying to out maneuver a SAM with a tilt or rotary wing aircraft is pointless. Either the countermeasures work or they don't.

OTOH, rapidly maneuvering could mess up MANPADS operator number 2 or the guys with MGs waiting to light you up if the MANPADS misses.

brains
May 12, 2004

SimonCat posted:

this is one of those arguments where you'll just have to accept that maybe there is a reason you see military aircraft practicing these maneuvers, and that maybe that reason is extremely classified. if you disagree, that's ok too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Warbadger posted:

This is the answer. Assad was running a sectarian civil war against ~70% of his country, only pulled back from the brink of losing by the Iranian and Russian interventions. Killing millions is actually pretty hard. Killing hundreds of thousands to make those millions flee to escape the hell you created is much, much easier.

Also, erdogan needs there to be "millions of refugees" so if he wants to he can unleash them on Europe, which he's already threatening to do.