Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
You guys should also switch to credit unions and start switch over from gmail to some other privacy minded email service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Incredible Dog Challenge® tax (off to a slow start this year):

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EnlightenedUntidyBaiji-mobile.mp4

(Sound for the local arena ambiance).

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I disabled my Facebook a week ago after having an argument with a dipshit about climate change. My Instagram is nothing but dogs, so it's a good place.

I am also reading Wheel of Time.

It is nice having fewer chuds yelling at me.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Mendrian posted:

I'm honestly confused, how does Discord enable Nazis more than, say, Verizon SMS?

I've posted the article here a few times, and I can't find the article so my recollection is going to be sketchy

The article is an interview with uhh one of Reddit's founders or CEOs who has left the company, in it he discusses a conversation he had with the CEO of Discord about how they need to clean the Nazis off their platform because the Nazis will use it to organize and kill someone. Then Unite the Right in Charlottsville happens and Heather Heyer is murdered. the former Redditer gets to say, "See, I told you." Through the conversation though it's either heavily implied or he outright says that Discord doesn't clean Nazis off because it's too hard but, in fact, that it KNOWS who the Nazis on its platform are and is worried about their FREEZE PEACH. After Charlottesville I think they've been better about it and they cooperated with the FBI and such, but who knows if that was temporary or whatever.

Either way, I know people need some of these resources to get by but out of all these platforms Facebook absolutely has to go.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Also my wife told me the other day Paris Jackson (MJ’s smokin hot hippy daughter) is bangin some dude with like 5 social media posts ever, and they’re for his garage band. So dreams can happen without social media :q:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

PhazonLink posted:

You guys should also switch to credit unions and start switch over from gmail to some other privacy minded email service.

Fun fact, one of the credit unions near where I live is called "America First."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mrspanstreppon/status/1183434016093102080?s=20
https://twitter.com/lilygrutcher/status/1183514409756479488
https://twitter.com/lomikriel/status/1183506567913713664
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183520040647380993?s=20

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Antioch posted:

I disabled my Facebook a week ago after having an argument with a dipshit about climate change. My Instagram is nothing but dogs, so it's a good place.

I am also reading Wheel of Time.

It is nice having fewer chuds yelling at me.

One of the really interesting things about Wheel of Time, to me, is that posts I see about it tend to be not about the work itself, but about the psychological place the reader was in the first time they read it, and how it helped them. If you want to just drop down into a fantasy world and disengage from the real, it's all right there.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

while it's nice that Signal is run by a (large) nonprofit, they too don't really seem like the sort of folks who are going to deplatform Nazis, if for a slightly more noble reason (communication should be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and end-to-end encrypted)

some things you really can't have both ways; if Nazis can't communicate privately, then neither can you, and suggesting this tradeoff is acceptable will be a huge stumbling block or wall to a lot of people who are violently opposed to Nazism. all of which you clearly understand

e: seize and socialize Facebook, jail zuck and the board

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
gently caress your where’s Hunter bullshit you fat gently caress, no one loving cares about Hunter Biden. Where’s the god damned president? Who the gently caress are you? Why are you in the white house.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

thegalagakid posted:

Not sure about the rest, but we do a LOT of training with Latvia and would absolutely* do something about a Russian move against them.

*normal not-fucko-bazoo administration

Poland has a very painful cultural memory of having their country torn apart by their Slavic brothers, right after they conspired with the Nazis to invade and commit some light genocide, even if NATO were to disband I'm sure Poland would scramble to sign a treaty with the US.

The US military is a loving insane, massive beast that is loving ridiculously large, expensive, wasteful, and needs to be massively reduced in size, but it does have the very real benefit of stopping countries being swallowed up by their larger, aggressively imperialistic neighbors, many of whom are big fans of genocide. There's a reason Vietnam is a close ally now, despite a decade of war related atrocities on our part, and Taiwan, SK, and probably Japan would vanish off the map without a strong US military presence in the region.

Ukraine was a bit trickier, both because they're not a NATO member, and because Putin made sure that it was "volunteers" and "irregulars" who "totally wanted Crimea to be annexed by Russia" and then Russia "had no choice" but to "help" their poor ethnically Russian "rebels". It's a stupid political fiction, one that everyone knew was bullshit, but it was enough to keep US and allies out of the conflict. I don't think there's a way to repeat that trick with Latvia or Poland.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tim Raines IRL posted:

some things you really can't have both ways; if Nazis can't communicate privately, then neither can you, and suggesting this tradeoff is acceptable will be a huge stumbling block or wall to a lot of people who are violently opposed to Nazism. all of which you clearly understand

My vote is to melt the servers into slag.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

My vote is to melt the servers into slag.

sure, but I don't care what you think because two pages ago you conflated the EFF and the NRA, so I think you should go jump in a lake

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The ability for people to communicate is, inevitably, going to involve bad people using it to communicate. Unless you completely destroy the idea of privacy (which should be a Very Bad Idea for obvious reasons) then it is going to happen. If overt open Nazism is not being responded to that is an issue but "just destroy communication because it might be used by Nazis" is an absurdly narrowminded viewpoint not in the least because it would do a lot more damage to smaller groups too.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

The ability for people to communicate is, inevitably, going to involve bad people using it to communicate. Unless you completely destroy the idea of privacy (which should be a Very Bad Idea for obvious reasons) then it is going to happen. If overt open Nazism is not being responded to that is an issue but "just destroy communication because it might be used by Nazis" is an absurdly narrowminded viewpoint not in the least because it would do a lot more damage to smaller groups too.

When technological advancement is used to empower the wealthy and fascists, it is regressive not progressive, and must therefore be destroyed, full stop. No room for compromise, all or nothing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Oh yeah, I come down on the "signal should exist" side of the argument.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

drat, bold move giving his crimes buddy the designated mistress ticket.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Dammerung posted:

Fun fact, one of the credit unions near where I live is called "America First."

i mean do they at least have good rates on their fin products?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183524771734183936

eat poo poo fucker. you let this happen. now loving lay it.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He doesn’t know how to do anything besides peddle fear and hate, and self-aggrandize. Imagine you’re responsible for thousands and thousands of deaths in the past week, and that’s what’s consuming your psyche.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

tokyo reject posted:

He doesn’t know how to do anything besides peddle fear and hate, and self-aggrandize. Imagine you’re responsible for thousands and thousands of deaths in the past week, and that’s what’s consuming your psyche.

he is too stupid and narcissistic to think anything else.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It’s been his M.O. since the beginning. Create a crisis and either (a) change/reverse course and pat himself on the back for saving the day; or (b) blame it on someone else usually by saying “why isn’t XYZ doing more to solve this problem (that I created)?”

Seriously, gently caress Donald Trump.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Mind_Taker posted:

Is there anything more than speculation on why Trump abandoned the Kurds? I know everyone suspects it’s because of Trump Tower Istanbul or whatever but if there’s even a shred of proof it seems like it would be a huge deal. Letting American soldiers get killed and allowing ISIS prisoners to escape in order to benefit his business seems like something voters might care about.

He can only think in the immediate. So the first instinctive thought that popped into his head when Erdogan said he was going to war was his reason. He might have just been getting bored with the phonecall and thought it might be a way to get it to end quicker.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Turkey and the Kurds must not let them escape from the US, who has them?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also friendly reminder that the President of the United States believes some groups of people are just destined to be enemies, and it's okay if they kill each other.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rabble posted:

It’s been his M.O. since the beginning. Create a crisis and either (a) change/reverse course and pat himself on the back for saving the day; or (b) blame it on someone else usually by saying “why isn’t XYZ doing more to solve this problem (that I created)?”

Seriously, gently caress Donald Trump.

yeah except this is so much worse. like if the GOP had any spine or moral soul. this would end it for him. hell, i think it might anyway.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183535447919812608

while northern syria burns. trump plays the twitter.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One of the really interesting things about Wheel of Time, to me, is that posts I see about it tend to be not about the work itself, but about the psychological place the reader was in the first time they read it, and how it helped them. If you want to just drop down into a fantasy world and disengage from the real, it's all right there.

This is the fourth time I've read the series. I started in the mid 90s when Crown of Swords came out. Every time I've read it it's been different because of the mind space I'm in.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah except this is so much worse. like if the GOP had any spine or moral soul. this would end it for him. hell, i think it might anyway.

My dad, who never talks politics, was very vocal in his dislike for Trump after this Turk/Kurd thing started. It does feel like a turning point, I just wish people didn’t have to be slaughtered to make it happen.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Antioch posted:

This is the fourth time I've read the series. I started in the mid 90s when Crown of Swords came out. Every time I've read it it's been different because of the mind space I'm in.

Yeah. The two biggest things are Nynaeve going from super annoying to intensely relatable, and when you read the Dragon's words out of the context of his thoughts and realize how loving insane he is.

EDIT: Actually on topic, I just saw the image of the little girl with her leg blown off right next to the body of her brother. That, right there, that alone, is reason enough for Trump to burn in hell for all eternity. That little girl would have a leg and a brother if it weren't for Trump's cowardice and stupidity, and he will never realize the untold suffering he has caused just in that's family's life. He will never care, because he is not human and does not have any indication of a soul.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 14, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
World Bank Cuts Russian Growth Forecast
themoscowtimes.com/Oct. 9, 2019
"Economy expected to expand by just 1% in 2019 amid weak investment, low consumer confidence and international sanctions."

Might be time to poke the oil-price bear.

Democrats to offer resolution demanding Trump reverse Syria decision
thehill.com/10/13/19
'"We will be putting on the floor of the Senate and the House ... a joint resolution that urges the president to undo his decision to do everything he can to protect the Kurds, to do everything that we must do to prevent ISIS terrorists from escaping, and make sure that Turkey respects existing agreements related to Syria and with the United States," Schumer said.'

The orange fecal smear let the rabid cat out of the bag, and now it's eating the face off of the baby, but maybe it's time to let him wander off to the sanction store to shop for a cat collar.

'Turkey out of Syria!' - Protests in London
news.sky.com/13 October

Climate rebels open new fronts across capital as protests escalate
theguardian.com/12 Oct 2019
'Climate protesters on Saturday intensified efforts to disrupt life in London, and targeted sites including Billingsgate fish market and Shell’s headquarters. They said police took at least 28 of their supporters into custody. That number means that more than 1,200 Extinction Rebellion activists have been arrested in London since their protests, over the government’s “failure” to act over climate change, were launched last Monday.'

Serious question: Where do "rebels" fit into the Protesters / Terrorists spectrum in Guardian-speak?

Extinction Rebellion: Meet the climate protesters blocking traffic in cities around the world
washingtonpost.com/October 7
'Demonstrators blocked roads and bridges leading to the Palace of Westminster in central London. They staged a “die-in” in Wellington, New Zealand. They obstructed a major roundabout in Berlin, parked a pink sailboat outside the prime minister’s office in Dublin and splattered fake blood on Wall Street’s “Charging Bull” sculpture.

The group’s message is that climate change is an emergency that requires drastic and immediate action.

And it has already seen some success.'

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also friendly reminder that the President of the United States believes some groups of people are just destined to be enemies, and it's okay if they kill each other.

That's one of the core beliefs of ethno-supremacists the world over.

e: Oops, quoted wrong post.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Future Presidents should probably have a group of people around them who are experts in various areas of policy so that they don't make these kinds of mistakes. We could call this their Cupboard.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Not a Spice Rack? For some zesty choices to make?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

eggyolk posted:

Future Presidents should probably have a group of people around them who are experts in various areas of policy so that they don't make these kinds of mistakes. We could call this their Cupboard.

I'm kinda found of "bassinet".

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Before it deletes the twit:

"Somebody please explain to Chris Wallace of Fox, who will never be his father (and my friend), Mike Wallace, that the Phone Conversation I had with the President of Ukraine was a congenial & good one. It was only Schiff’s made up version of that conversation that was bad!"

"...Chris Wallace of Fox, who will never be his father (and my friend), Mike Wallace,...."

Somebody please explain.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

RandomBlue posted:

I'm kinda found of "bassinet".

Somebody gave him a nickel to bust up a chiffarobe.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tim Raines IRL posted:

If I remember correctly Zuck bailed on a committee (consisting of representatives from Canada, France, Australia, the UK, and a few other countries) hearing in Ottawa last spring that put him in contempt. Thats as close as he is to being arrested, and even then Im not sure Trump would ever allow him to be arrested or extradited even if someone had the stones to pursue it. Same goes for twitter.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Mr Interweb posted:

i know there's probably more serious issues going on, but i feel it would be irresponsible not to point out that articles like this keep appearing:

https://twitter.com/LasagnaGarden/status/1183224717790068736

Wow, that was a goldmine of related links.

My Fave:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/24/i-retired-at-34-with-3-million-here-are-the-downsides-of-early-retirement-that-no-one-tells-you.html

I retired at 34 with $3 million—here are 5 downsides of early retirement that no one tells you posted:

I worked hard to earn good grades and pay for college. I was the first one in the office and the last to leave. Sure, I got lucky by landing a high-paying investment banking job and in some of my investments

quote:

One a scale of one to 10, my happiness level skyrocketed to a 10 after I was able to negotiate a pretty solid severance. It was enough to pay for five years worth of living expenses.

But not too long after that check hit my bank account, I reverted back to my normal post-retirement baseline of happiness.

Aww....diddums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

This is darkly humorous in that it's been open knowledge as far as diplomats go that you can call Trump's bluffs 100% of the time and he will always back down for whatever reason.

In human terms it's loving horrible, jfc