Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's spelled out in the new version of the wing training instruction that defines the different aircrew qualification levels. I doubt it's been publicized much outside of fleet squadrons, so I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't heard of it.

Sounds like the squadrons are going to be sort of renamed, too. VAW remains, but will mean Airborne Command and Control Squadron. Which is interesting, because that's what the AF uses for JSTARS and Nightwatch (and all the weird retired EC-135 units), not AWACS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Seeing a guy get denied access to the Washington Navy Yard over a misdemeanor was p hilarious. Esp since he apparently has TWO MEETINGS WITH A VICE ADMIRAL TOMMOROW. Couldn't help but overhear that poo poo. Big oof for that guy.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

ARE YOU TELLING ME I CAN'T GET ON BASE BECAUSE I HAD A MISDEMEANOUR IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS? HOW MANY PEOPLE WORKING ON THIS BASE HAVE DUIS MAN?

Staff: I'm sorry you're just gonna have to call that admiral b.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Viva Miriya posted:

Seeing a guy get denied access to the Washington Navy Yard over a misdemeanor was p hilarious. Esp since he apparently has TWO MEETINGS WITH A VICE ADMIRAL TOMMOROW. Couldn't help but overhear that poo poo. Big oof for that guy.

did it involve illegal DRUGS??

I mean not alcohol, that’s not a drug y’know?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

maffew buildings posted:

Back from "deployment". I feel like we owe the American taxpayer a huge explanation and loving apology.

Just got back too, and 100% this. Not complaining about the per diem, but holy crap!!

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 7, 2019

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
BusterScruggs James Franco: First time?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

King of Bees posted:

I’m a little sad my next set of orders won’t be as lucrative as my DC orders😏

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

King of Bees posted:

Yep, first time deploying for me. I enjoyed it but it was slightly disconcerting when people in the squadron were surprised I still had a positive attitude after a couple of months in.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I can't even loving talk about the deployment beyond what I already said. I really wish I had just joined the French Foreign Legion

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Can't talk about it? What? Is the depth of a hole opsec now?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CMD598 posted:

Can't talk about it? What? Is the depth of a hole opsec now?

The seabees are really bad. Basically take all the dumbest poo poo in the navy and concentrate it with double the amount of wannabe marine bullshit.

Seabees are almost entirely ran by their chiefs mess without any input from officers because their officers are civil engineers and such that are primarily for design and number crunching not running a division. The treefort is all powerful and gets next to no pushback. I know some ships have this problem, but I've never personally seen it as bad as the seabees.

Now, that may in and of itself, not seem too awful. But remember, anyone in the seabees with an ASVAB above 40 gets out after their first term typically as an E4 (even though they have 6 year active contracts). This is because all of the EP evals in an already tight rate go to the sub 30 idiots who are near HYT. By virtue of attrition, these are the guys that become the chiefs that then run everything.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The OPSEC part is how many different depths there are

Yeah Mr. Nice! got it basically right. It's five year contracts, not six, and ASVABs are a little higher, but that's about right. I'd type more but I'm pretty jetlagged.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 8, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Seabees need SWO leadership.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Seabees need SWO leadership.

We do not need construction equipment running into each other

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

This is when I make my usual jab at seeing local nationals do all the Seabee-esque work while poo poo was in disrepair and they were all playing pool and drinking beer 24/7

Then in the hospital I asked the Seabee officer or w/e attached to us why they never fixed poo poo in disrepair around the hospital and he said they only know how to do temporary poo poo and wouldn’t trust them for any real job like that. loving lmao, just disband them already. All the war hero OEF Seabees walking around with their puffed out chests holding on to nostalgia should be near retirement by now

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Shouldnt they be an all reserve force with ..... laxer rules on hooyah stuff like they were in WW2?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LingcodKilla posted:

Shouldnt they be an all reserve force with ..... laxer rules on hooyah stuff like they were in WW2?

They should be, but :lol: if that'll ever happen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nick Soapdish posted:

We do not need construction equipment running into each other

I'm pretty sure EOs crash into each other all the time, but no one dies so we don't hear about it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

This is when I make my usual jab at seeing local nationals do all the Seabee-esque work while poo poo was in disrepair and they were all playing pool and drinking beer 24/7

Then in the hospital I asked the Seabee officer or w/e attached to us why they never fixed poo poo in disrepair around the hospital and he said they only know how to do temporary poo poo and wouldn’t trust them for any real job like that. loving lmao, just disband them already. All the war hero OEF Seabees walking around with their puffed out chests holding on to nostalgia should be near retirement by now

The Seabees around here do actually build real things and seem to be pretty good at it. Everyone is nervous because they're RIPping out and being replaced by an Army company whose commander has a history BA. At least the Seabee officers are all PEs.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Isn’t the Army taking over x for x branch just par for the course? The Navy hasn’t done medevac poo poo for a while now, Army took all that over. Well, they have some thinly veiled hoo-yah units but in the end it’s really the Army doing all the legwork. Then the Navy has shore rescue swimmers that don’t do poo poo cause it’s just the CG that is better equipped for that.

But really does the USMC, Army, and Navy all need their own flavor of combat engineers because tradition and WW2/Korea

LingcodKilla posted:

I mean same with the Marines let’s be real here. Don’t need to have active units to constantly send to Australia/Japan or on MEUs. I mean in Djibouti the security there is just NG units and poo poo that take turns being activated.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Seabees around here do actually build real things and seem to be pretty good at it. Everyone is nervous because they're RIPping out and being replaced by an Army company whose commander has a history BA. At least the Seabee officers are all PEs.

They do no engineering when they're in a battalion. Everything prints wise comes from NAVFAC, then the Chiefs oversee things with officers doing the paperwork

I don't know where you are but that sounds wildly different than my experience. A lot of the hands on ability is concentrated in the reserves for the Bees, also. Like, A LOT

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

They do no engineering when they're in a battalion. Everything prints wise comes from NAVFAC, then the Chiefs oversee things with officers doing the paperwork

I don't know where you are but that sounds wildly different than my experience. A lot of the hands on ability is concentrated in the reserves for the Bees, also. Like, A LOT

I'm in Djibouti so yeah, they're all reservists and the officers are all licensed engineers in real life.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

did it involve illegal DRUGS??

I mean not alcohol, that’s not a drug y’know?

Idk but apparently a video was involved. I imagine it was some world star class poo poo.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

I feel like I got a fair hearing today. In 60 days, I will either have a positive outcome, or not from the NDRB.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Check your PMs dork

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
How to retire at 36 on a military pension: https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/90A5C100-E9E7-11E9-89A8-85FFFC5C0D88

Marry a woman who pulls down a six figure income and pretend your $20-26k/year isn't going to lead to a *ton* of fights about 'pulling one's weight.'

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

How to retire at 36 on a military pension: https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/90A5C100-E9E7-11E9-89A8-85FFFC5C0D88

Marry a woman who pulls down a six figure income and pretend your $20-26k/year isn't going to lead to a *ton* of fights about 'pulling one's weight.'

I think to think that stories like those or the Real Estate portion of NYTs is actually praxis in turning people away from the myth of meritocracy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

I think to think that stories like those or the Real Estate portion of NYTs is actually praxis in turning people away from the myth of meritocracy.

Yeah, and what all of them have in common is the complete lack of any kind of safety net if something catastrophic happens or if someone gets cancer.

$200k can disappear in little more than an instant and I wish they'd stop printing these articles in a society where most of the households in this country can't afford even a $500-1000 "oopsie" event without going into debt.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He uh, he med retired as an E-5 or E-6 and is below 60% VA disability rating with those numbers.

That’s the opposite of “FIRE”. I’m in a similar boat but I’m in school, I’m 100% w/ the VA, and I also got a wife earning the big bucks. Also: We’re DINK living, and I still don’t consider myself to be financially independent and retired early. I just have $45k a year tax free for not dying yet. And cheap TRICARE insurance. That covers the bills, and naturally the mortgage. My GI bill money is just paying for dumb poo poo like vacations or random house upgrades. I never see the money because the wife put dibs on it. My wife’s income is totally hers, like I have no access to it, but she spoils me. I don’t want for much.

There’s no secret to retiring young. There will be fights between you and miss six figures a year, though. I don’t care how evolved or woke your relationship is. I’ve been with my wife since we were 15 and we actually split up right when I retired, and almost didn’t make it. We have a strong relationship but before I went back to school the resentment radiated at me was loving thick.

Plus if you truly retire young, you can pretty much expect to die the same way: Young.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Put simply, collecting disability while your spouse earns six figures isn't "retired."

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stultus Maximus posted:

Put simply, collecting disability while your spouse earns six figures isn't "retired."

Exactly.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

He uh, he med retired as an E-5 or E-6 and is below 60% VA disability rating with those numbers.

That’s the opposite of “FIRE”. I’m in a similar boat but I’m in school, I’m 100% w/ the VA, and I also got a wife earning the big bucks. Also: We’re DINK living, and I still don’t consider myself to be financially independent and retired early. I just have $45k a year tax free for not dying yet. And cheap TRICARE insurance. That covers the bills, and naturally the mortgage. My GI bill money is just paying for dumb poo poo like vacations or random house upgrades. I never see the money because the wife put dibs on it. My wife’s income is totally hers, like I have no access to it, but she spoils me. I don’t want for much.

There’s no secret to retiring young. There will be fights between you and miss six figures a year, though. I don’t care how evolved or woke your relationship is. I’ve been with my wife since we were 15 and we actually split up right when I retired, and almost didn’t make it. We have a strong relationship but before I went back to school the resentment radiated at me was loving thick.

Plus if you truly retire young, you can pretty much expect to die the same way: Young.

Everybody gets hung up on the R-word, but it's really the independence part that matters. You have a basic income, cheap, fairly comprehensive health insurance, and a (I'm assuming) debt free college experience. That's a huge dollop of freedom/independence from wage labor that most people will never see.

(It's deserved, and you definitely earned it. All I'm trying to say that in one of the most prosperous nations in history, you shouldn't have to break yourself in the military to deserve a living income and health care. )

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Assuming you weren't married, could you or could you not live on 45k a year?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

Assuming you weren't married, could you or could you not live on 45k a year?

Probably nowhere you'd really *want* to live voluntarily, but yes.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
The mayport pier is too long when you're going to a ship in the middle. That is all.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/cgberube/status/1182459358237601792

This would be a great idea. I missed when our PHIBRON staffed the command element for Continuing Promise 2009 on the Mercy but I was onboard the IWO when we did CP10. That year was probably the most fulfilling part of my career as we just did humanitarian assistance and disaster relief (Haiti earthquake)

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/cgberube/status/1182459358237601792

This would be a great idea. I missed when our PHIBRON staffed the command element for Continuing Promise 2009 on the Mercy but I was onboard the IWO when we did CP10. That year was probably the most fulfilling part of my career as we just did humanitarian assistance and disaster relief (Haiti earthquake)

Would that give corpsmen more opportunities for advancement if there were more hospital ship billets?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Let's not subject those patients to that kind of negligence

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Just find a battleship picture and tweet 'Happy Birthday' to the Navy. I've got an early tee time."

https://twitter.com/dave_brown24/status/1183445427041067008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
That sure is a thing.

So I've been in mayport for a week waiting for a ship to go underway and I'm still waiting. Sometimes my job is a pain in the rear end.