Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Agreed, that last sequence of the film on the planet is supposed to be a 12 minute rush, the Burke thing would interrupt the pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

Mister Speaker posted:

Since we're chatting about The Thing now, here's a really good fanfic written from the creature's perspective. It's absolutely chilling and you should definitely read it if you haven't already.

Yo this is ages ago and I don't even know if anybody else commented on this, but this isn't just some fanfic writer, the writer of this is Peter Watts, who wrote one of the best hard sci fi novels ever.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

They were correct in cutting the Burke scene, it's awful.

This, it was corny af.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Another reason why Isolation is so effective:

Turning around to see this suddenly is a harmless poo poo-your-pants moment which can cause you to reflexively make a load of noise and turn it into a real poo poo-your-pants moment.

It actively preys on your paranoia with details like this.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I just saw this video and thought of this thread. It's only half about Aliens but the other half is Terminator 2 which is also good so I'm posting it anyway.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Greggster posted:

Not showing Burke buying it completely, just showing the alien and him in close vicinity allows the viewer to play out just exactly he dies which I think is far more satisfying than showing him outright die.

I kind of agree with this. For some people, it's just going to be like "Oh, ok, the Alien killed him" and it ends there, and then for other people, maybe those with slightly more vivid imaginations, the implications of coming face to face with a Xenomorph in a confined space and having no means of defense instigates all kinds of gory and horrific mental images, that couldn't be done justice by an on screen portrayal.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Jay_Zombie posted:

I kind of agree with this. For some people, it's just going to be like "Oh, ok, the Alien killed him" and it ends there, and then for other people, maybe those with slightly more vivid imaginations, the implications of coming face to face with a Xenomorph in a confined space and having no means of defense instigates all kinds of gory and horrific mental images, that couldn't be done justice by an on screen portrayal.

Which is exactly what made Lambert's death so intense in the first film. You never get to find out what happened to her, you just get to hear it and know it was horrible. It was so much more terrifying that way.

Aliens does introduce kind of a different dynamic though, with the aliens presumably trying to capture prey alive at least some of the time. It's almost like they'll kill a person they deem a threat but capture something they know they can subdue. It gets a little inconsistent sometimes, though - one kills Ferro immediately while she's sitting strapped into her cockpit and before she can even reach for her pistol, meanwhile Marines are being picked up and dragged off while blasting flamethrowers around inside the nest. Xenomrph may know, but is there ever any explanation given as to why some folks get killed immediately and others get the egg treatment?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Number of aliens present? One alien -> stay alive, murder all threats, slow cocoon them later, don't risk the only nearby alien resource. Many aliens -> gently caress it we've got spares grab and go so we can do the good cocooning. There was only one alien in the nostromo and on the dropship so it was in murder mode, if the dropship had been swarmed she'd have been takeaway.

One of my pet theories is that hived humans are somewhat reusable, so losing three or four aliens for a live human isn't a big deal because you can get a half dozen new ones out of it before it stops working.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's because they're movies, and the rules change based on what would be more thrilling/frightening at any given moment.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Wild T posted:

Which is exactly what made Lambert's death so intense in the first film. You never get to find out what happened to her, you just get to hear it and know it was horrible. It was so much more terrifying that way.

Aliens does introduce kind of a different dynamic though, with the aliens presumably trying to capture prey alive at least some of the time. It's almost like they'll kill a person they deem a threat but capture something they know they can subdue. It gets a little inconsistent sometimes, though - one kills Ferro immediately while she's sitting strapped into her cockpit and before she can even reach for her pistol, meanwhile Marines are being picked up and dragged off while blasting flamethrowers around inside the nest. Xenomrph may know, but is there ever any explanation given as to why some folks get killed immediately and others get the egg treatment?

Actual tactical/situational reasoning is a fanon supported by the queen waving off the guards when the eggs were threatened, and them cutting the power. The math checks out: Kill one loadmaster and one pilot to destroy the dropship and gain a half dozen more hosts.

"What do you mean they deliberately cut off our line of escape with a suicide attack on the pilot? They're animals!"

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Actual tactical/situational reasoning is a fanon supported by the queen waving off the guards when the eggs were threatened, and them cutting the power. The math checks out: Kill one loadmaster and one pilot to destroy the dropship and gain a half dozen more hosts.

"What do you mean they deliberately cut off our line of escape with a suicide attack on the pilot? They're animals!"

In addition to the tactical reasoning, which in and of itself is a scary prospect, sometimes they might just be hungry too. I mean, Xenos gotta eat. With their rapid growth it would stand to reason that if they aren't in any kind of stasis, that they have one hell of a metabolism. If there's only one Xeno, and it's got to go the solo reproduction route, I imagine it'll need quite a bit of sustenance. Same with the hived Aliens, all the secretions that have to be produced in order to make the hive and cocoon hosts has to require a significant amount of food.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Despite having seen the movie a million times and being a fan forever, I only just now realized that ‘Alien3’ foreshadows how the Alien gets killed.

After the chemical explosion we see the sprinklers turn on and a bucket cracks because of the temperature change. The Alien ends up getting killed by sprinklers because of the temperature change from the hot lead.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer posted:

One of my pet theories is that hived humans are somewhat reusable, so losing three or four aliens for a live human isn't a big deal because you can get a half dozen new ones out of it before it stops working.

They have to be alive to be an acceptable host so once they burst out of the chest and kill them there's nothing usable anymore.

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling
Anyone been to the Sandia Peak Tramway in Albuquerque? We visited there a couple years ago, and while we're on the tram car going up the mountain, the woman operating the car is describing stuff below, says the area is home to cougars, coyotes, snakes, etc.

Then she says, "We're not seeing any right now because they mostly come out at night. Mostly."

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Watching "Chariots of the Gods" 1970. The makers of Prometheus must have watched this a lot. Skip to 58 minutes in to see stone carvings of an Engineer who visited ancient South America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HouRC6PaoR4

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 17, 2019

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
Went to an antique/second hand store this weekend and someone had donated the comics of the unproduced Alien 3 scripts. I grabbed the 5 issues there- is that all of them? I haven't started reading yet, but hoping that I don't get some story that just ends in a cliffhanger.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Jay_Zombie posted:

In addition to the tactical reasoning, which in and of itself is a scary prospect, sometimes they might just be hungry too. I mean, Xenos gotta eat. With their rapid growth it would stand to reason that if they aren't in any kind of stasis, that they have one hell of a metabolism. If there's only one Xeno, and it's got to go the solo reproduction route, I imagine it'll need quite a bit of sustenance. Same with the hived Aliens, all the secretions that have to be produced in order to make the hive and cocoon hosts has to require a significant amount of food.

One of the weird and cool parts I remember being planned for the first film was the Nostromo's supply of food being demolished. Along with pieces of metal and plastic also being gone, and the crew wondering if this weird biomechanical bastard is capable of eating metal and inorganic material, too.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Wild T posted:

One of the weird and cool parts I remember being planned for the first film was the Nostromo's supply of food being demolished. Along with pieces of metal and plastic also being gone, and the crew wondering if this weird biomechanical bastard is capable of eating metal and inorganic material, too.

I believe that you are correct. I remember it being addressed in the novelization. It's been a few months but I seem to remember the crew checking the food pantry and it was trashed and darn near picked clean.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It addresses the Real Science Concern over how the creature gained so much mass so quickly, but I think it was a good cut if for no other reason then the fact it would have brought to mind in the audience the rather comical picture of the eldrich killing machine creature knocking back copious amounts ramen noodles and fruit loops.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

turn on youre movie theater

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Owlbear Camus posted:

It addresses the Real Science Concern over how the creature gained so much mass so quickly, but I think it was a good cut if for no other reason then the fact it would have brought to mind in the audience the rather comical picture of the eldrich killing machine creature knocking back copious amounts ramen noodles and fruit loops.

Now I want Alien: The College Years

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Biplane posted:

turn on youre movie theater

please, my overconsumption of nonperishable carb-dense foodstuffs did quite the opposite from turn me into a finely tuned lethal killer

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

All this talking about a Xeno pigging out on Ramen and Twinkies led me to GIS "Xenomorph Snacks" and holy poo poo. Some of the stuff that comes up is kinda awesome.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

no

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Owlbear Camus posted:

please, my overconsumption of nonperishable carb-dense foodstuffs did quite the opposite from turn me into a finely tuned lethal killer
Counterpoints: you're full of acid and drool and your home is covered in gross excretions

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Thos cookie jars :3:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Jay_Zombie posted:

All this talking about a Xeno pigging out on Ramen and Twinkies led me to GIS "Xenomorph Snacks" and holy poo poo. Some of the stuff that comes up is kinda awesome.

Those are neat.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Splicer posted:

Counterpoints: you're full of acid and drool and your home is covered in gross excretions

Newt's little hidey-warren was modeled on the state of my apartment.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Remember how in 2018's The Predator, the predators wanted to enhance their race with autism?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I unironically really enjoyed that movie.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

the ending was almost even dumber.

https://collider.com/the-predator-alternate-endings-ripley-newt/

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

Don’t doxx me

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Alien snacks? That's not enough. We need alien entrees.

https://m.imgur.com/t/thatsapenis/vyOpA

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That makes me wonder, would Xenomorph meat be edible once the acid blood was drained away?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That makes me wonder, would Xenomorph meat be edible once the acid blood was drained away?

I mean, it’s not gonna taste like Alaskan king crab. :shrug:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I mean, it’s not gonna taste like Alaskan king crab. :shrug:

You don't know that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I always figured given its tolerances and biology its body must be really exotic in composition, like silicon and mineral based.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Owlbear Camus posted:

I always figured given its tolerances and biology its body must be really exotic in composition, like silicon and mineral based.

So you're saying it's fortified with vitamins and minerals? Interesting.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So you're saying it's fortified with vitamins and minerals? Interesting.

I'm saying it would be like eating fiberglass insulation.

Eat hearty of the succulent housemeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’d imagine you’d get sick, mutate, and gestate monsters like the dudes in Prometheus and Covenant if you ate xeno meat.

I doubt you could dilute it to make psychotropic consumables either. Once it’s in your system it’s slime city.

E: I forgot in the comics they harvest “royal jelly” from alien queens so they can make steroids.