Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

Mr Hansen said junior police members exposed to the protest movement were now "battle hardened" ahead of major action planned for the the International Mining and Resources Conference in Melbourne towards the end of the month.

that's a cool and normal thing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

*Senior Sgt Brown etches another stick figure person on the side of his helmet*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
*Bald, twitching junior police officer*
"I no longer fear the wretched screams of man."

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
If they were so concerned about police resources they could always just not arrest protesters.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Where are these people getting those numbers for ALL bills per week.

My last power bill alone was $60 a week

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
:ssh: they are made up

Although my power bill for a family is about $37/week and I'm not super happy about that. And according to western Power it's a bit higher than other comparable households.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

We probably use a lot of power because MrsMG is home with the kids a lot (both are too young to start school, no child care) but I also think those "here's your average power usage" comparison graphs are laughably out of date.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Im in a suburb that skews from ghetto to 3mil+ Riverside properties so the suburb average is going to be pretty innacurate but Synergy use a system where you can enter your household appliances etc and they will spit out the household comparison based on that.

I suspect it's mainly sliced on suburb/region and rooms in the house.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Dear Mr Barrie,

Lol. What a loving joke. Where's your citation for any of your productivity claims? Also you apparently aren't aware that Australia is among world leaders in robotics. (Source - https://www.roboticsbusinessreview.com/research/new-index-ranks-countries-that-are-ready-for-robots-ai/ )

quote:

Rounding out the top 10 countries were Japan, Canada, Estonia, France, the U.K., the U.S., and Australia. China, which is often thought of as a leader in the AI and robotics space, ranked No. 12 on the list.
That's largely due to our heavily automated mining sector and some very visionary thinking by the CSIRO before they were productivity dividended back into the Stone Age by neoliberal fuckwits such as yourself. Try getting:
A/ A job
B/ An education
C/ A clue
D/ Slightly smaller clown shoes so you don't trip over them quite so often.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

norp posted:

Im in a suburb that skews from ghetto to 3mil+ Riverside properties so the suburb average is going to be pretty innacurate but Synergy use a system where you can enter your household appliances etc and they will spit out the household comparison based on that.

I suspect it's mainly sliced on suburb/region and rooms in the house.

If you don't have rooftop solar, your numbers are going to be seriously hosed up compared to the median no matter which suburb you live in in Perth, because it's everywhere now.

Synergy is apparently struggling to manage things atm because so many people are posting negative or close to 0 power bills, and even with the incredibly jacked power prices in WA they're having income issues.

WA needs to introduce an interest free loans scheme for solar already, get 100% density, start shutting down Collie and come up with a new tariff scheme to maintain the grid IMO.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ah yeah, I joked to my wife that we managed to buy one of the only houses in the neighbourhood without solar so that would definitely influence it.

I'd love to get solar but I have other debts to clear up first before getting into debt for panels and there do seem to be some shonky operators out there, making it harder to find a good one. They may even still do a good job with the panels themselves, but there's some predatory selling practices going on in my area with unsolicited phone calls, made up government rebates, etc.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

If you don't have rooftop solar, your numbers are going to be seriously hosed up compared to the median no matter which suburb you live in in Perth, because it's everywhere now.

Im renting in bayswater and even I have solar.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

NPR Journalizard posted:

Im renting in bayswater and even I have solar.

Next year I need to get the other residents & the strata on board with installing solar on our apartment block.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

GoldStandardConure posted:

Next year I need to get the other residents & the strata on board with installing solar on our apartment block.

The biggest pain with that is putting the complex behind a single Meter and submetering everyone can share the generation. Unless the complex is already big enough for that.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

drat, all these lone wolves, who can stop them?!?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

So for those who haven't been following US politics, the Republicans have now emailed their talking points to Democrats twice in the last couple of weeks.

Not wanting to be left behind on the stupidity train, the Libs follow suit:

Guardian Liveblog posted:

Before we get there, we have a bunch of things to not talk about.

We know that, because the prime minister’s office accidentally emailed the government’s talking notes for the day (the list that goes out to government MPs so they know what line to stick to when questioned on issues) to the media distribution list. I’ll bring you some from that a little later.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Really, it's just efficient to do this now so we don't have to hear 5 ministers say the same loving thing all damned week.

Edit:

PM Talking notes posted:

In 2018-19 the government spent more than $170bn a year on social security and welfare, representing more than one in three dollars or 35% of all commonwealth spending. That amount equates to about 75% of the total amount paid in personal income tax

Is there somewhere I can make an ABC Fact Checker request. This seems like it would rate as "misleading" at best.

Intoluene fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 14, 2019

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Cartoon posted:

Dear Mr Barrie,

Lol. What a loving joke. Where's your citation for any of your productivity claims? Also you apparently aren't aware that Australia is among world leaders in robotics. (Source - https://www.roboticsbusinessreview.com/research/new-index-ranks-countries-that-are-ready-for-robots-ai/ )
That's largely due to our heavily automated mining sector and some very visionary thinking by the CSIRO before they were productivity dividended back into the Stone Age by neoliberal fuckwits such as yourself. Try getting:
A/ A job
B/ An education
C/ A clue
D/ Slightly smaller clown shoes so you don't trip over them quite so often.

Okay now do this one.

The chief executive of appliance retailer Winning Group has railed against the poor work ethic of Millennials and warned of another "huge correction" in financial markets, as social media-influenced consumers rack up debt and live beyond their means.
"People are expecting more than what they put in. Some of the people coming in for interviews, their expectation of what they should be paid versus how much they're expected to work is just crazy," said John Winning, the fourth generation boss of the appliance company.

At 35, Mr Winning is technically a Millennial himself but that doesn't stop him from haranguing the generation, saying while his company employs some great Millennial workers, they are "few and far between".
"You train them up and by the time they've finished the two-month training, they're either looking for the next thing or asking for a promotion or more money," he said.

"When I think of hustling, I think of rolling your sleeves up and working from early in the morning to late at night. They see hustling as a get-rich-quick scheme or another easy solution."
The 113-year-old whitegoods retailer has two major brands, Appliances Online and Winning Appliances. In the last financial year it turned over $650 million in sales out of its 16 stores across the country.
In comparison, rival The Good Guys reported $2.15 billion in sales last financial year off 105 stores.
Mr Winning claimed sales are increasing by $100 million a year, despite the overall appliances market dropping 7 per cent in sales, which he said was due to increasing price competition from Asian manufacturers.

"Korean and Chinese brands are getting stronger, and as they're fighting for more market share they're doing it through price. Seventeen years ago, it would be $20,000 for a 50-inch plasma TV, and now you can get the same thing for under $1000," he said.
Mr Winning also echoed the downbeat sentiments of the broader retail sector, which has been repeatedly labelled as "recessionary" as consumers fail to respond to stimulatory measures.
"Margins are as low as ever, pricing is as competitive as ever, so it's certainly a tough market," he said.
But while other retailers have attributed the downturn to weak consumer confidence, low wage growth and a struggling housing market, Mr Winning blamed the prevalence of social media and get-rich-quick schemes causing Australians to live beyond their means.
The rise of Instagram has been "damaging to society", he said, as users strived to display the "best 1 per cent" of their lives, leading them to live a lifestyle they couldn't afford.

"I think the world's living in this desperation of wanting more, and that's getting people into a lot of trouble," he said.
"People expect they should be able to spend all this money on eating out because they see all their friends on social media eating out breakfast, lunch and dinner, having these great lives and going to Europe every Australian winter.
"So there's a lot of debt and a lot of people really struggling to maintain the lifestyle they're used to. The world has to go through another huge correction.

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
So are we spending too much or not enough? Or both?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Purk posted:

millennials

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Millennials are killing everything except the planet, which is absolutely not dying at all.

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
Did the article at least point out the fact that Winning appliances is a family owned business and the guy slamming milenials was born into his job and probably used family connections to create his start up?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Purk posted:

Did the article at least point out the fact that Winning appliances is a family owned business and the guy slamming milenials was born into his job and probably used family connections to create his start up?
lifters are the saints of the modern age and their children and grandchildren and grandchildren's children deserve to be venerated as holy

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Purk posted:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Anidav posted:

"The world has to go through another huge correction."
:hmmyes:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ha ha ha holy gently caress

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Of loving course.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

So much winning it hurts.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Every. Single. loving. Time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Gee why the gently caress am I not surprised?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

all this rage must go somewhere, eventually

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

it's going to be interesting to see what happens when the first ex rebellion protester gets murdered by police, that's one possible flashpoint

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
when daddy takes pity on you but you're still too stupid to realise it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

fauna posted:

it's going to be interesting to see what happens when the first ex rebellion protester gets murdered by police, that's one possible flashpoint

Please remind me of the last time a protester was killed in Australia.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I’m the 4th generation CEO whining about millennials not wanting to work to advance their career

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

JBP posted:

Please remind me of the last time a protester was killed in Australia.
never, that's the point. the police are getting bolder and saying things about how they're battle-hardened or whatever and threatening to trample protesters with their horses, so it's only a matter of time before some loose cannon snaps and kills someone, and because that's unprecedented here (for straight white people) it will change the game entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

extinction rebellion has its problems but at its core it's about the most privileged in society actually getting the chance to use that privilege for societal benefit. straight white boys and girls are less likely to be victims of police violence, so they've been able to get arrested en masse, and when one of them does die the uproar will be so much greater than if it were a marginalised victim - just look at the charlottesville murder and how the tone of reporting changed when a nazi killed a young white woman. it's weaponising australia's bigotries against the state, and i admire that