Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Break the ore with a gregtech hammer. Crush the ore with said hammer in a crafting table. Toss the impure dust in a filled cauldron to clean it.

Is there a reason to use a hammer instead of a pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

is pumping fluid from railcraft coke ovens entirely manual until i get to LV or am i missing something here

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

is pumping fluid from railcraft coke ovens entirely manual until i get to LV or am i missing something here

Yeah, you need an lv pump on the oven to get the creosote out. And a conveyor module to get the coke out.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

McFrugal posted:

Is there a reason to use a hammer instead of a pick?

I thought Gregtech hammers got you the dusts directly instead of dealing with crushing the ores.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

if you use the hammer to actually break the blocks, it gives crushed ore. you can also put the hammer with crushed ore in the crafting grid to turn it into impure dust

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh, yeah, that's true. Doesn't it give you less compared to grinding it though?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

McFrugal posted:

Oh, yeah, that's true. Doesn't it give you less compared to grinding it though?

Yes it's a purely low tech solution for pre-machine age. The only time you kinda have to do it is to get your first pile of redstone dust, because the steam macerator needs a piston needs red alloy. (GTNH)

You also might do it that way as a time saving measure. Steam macerator is 40 seconds per operation so when you need to macerate 4 stacks of gypsum/calcite for a BBF you might prefer to mine extra while it processes and then instant craft the rest at the cost of a couple hammers.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ohh ok, so hammer blocks.

I however think ive found a way around that. I saved last night on a plain that had about 7 (maybe more) miniture castle tops sticking out of the ground. The first one i looked in had a dispenser full of fireworks, so im guessing if i excavate this im going to be swiming in redstone. let you know once the game actually loads

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ah, mod interactions are always fun. Turns out that if you use Better Diving, InstantUnify, and other mods that put copper in the world, then mining normal copper only drops the Better Diving copper ore, which can't be smelted into ingots. And god loving forbid InstantUnify have documentation or an easy-to-understand config file.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
Is there a vanilla minecraft thread here somewhere, if so I couldn't find it - sorry. I'm looking for help with a simple redstone circuit ;-[ If there is a thread for this, please post a link to it. Thanks in advance : )

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Lollerich posted:

Is there a vanilla minecraft thread here somewhere, if so I couldn't find it - sorry. I'm looking for help with a simple redstone circuit ;-[ If there is a thread for this, please post a link to it. Thanks in advance : )

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430275 is the thread for vanilla Minecraft.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

McFrugal posted:

The version of Thaumcraft in Blightfall has a creative-only item that taints the entire world. AFAIK the biomes aren't custom though?

I don't remember a lot of the specifics at this point but Talonos had most of the map precreated when he joined Technic- he had a mishmash of tools, some of which were for bukkit servers, some of which were super obscure forge mods he found on curse, some of which were custom made duct taped together by him. There was a thing that he could MSPaint an overhead map and the colors would be mapped to biomes, and then the world would be generated. I think there was some nonsense hardcoded to generate ocean chunks outside the map boundaries. He built custom biomes, so that the basic junk (topsoil blocks, "trees", etc.) provided a lot of the topology and megastructures in the game. Then he and his friends from school added the POI's to the map manually. They'd fly around and find spots where POI's would fit and just build it out. The shipped version of the map was corrupted with the manual item which I think he coded up? I know he had an uncorrupted version of the map so they could make improvements to, and then recorrupt it for testing. I also want to say that they made biome changes pretty late in the process but I have no idea how that would have worked so I might be misremembering. I do remember that the floating city was entirely biome, he had this mod he was using that did procedural floating cities, so the city was built with that and then they filled it with POI's and stuff.

After we shipped there were a few POI's he wanted to add so I ended up coding a mod that let him output POI schematics in like some buildcraft format or something, and when the chunk loaded it'd composite the POI into the game, so that the map changes could be applied to the existing map. I think we applied 4 or 5 POI's like that and probably could have done more. It's funny because a lot of random stuff we coded for blightfall got raided for parts by other modpack authors in the ensuing months (especially the coremod that would patch HQM so it wouldn't corrupt groups in multiplayer) but nobody ever touched Purple Panic, it probably wasn't 100% clear to anyone what it was.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

30.5 Days posted:

I don't remember a lot of the specifics at this point but Talonos had most of the map precreated when he joined Technic- he had a mishmash of tools, some of which were for bukkit servers, some of which were super obscure forge mods he found on curse, some of which were custom made duct taped together by him. There was a thing that he could MSPaint an overhead map and the colors would be mapped to biomes, and then the world would be generated. I think there was some nonsense hardcoded to generate ocean chunks outside the map boundaries. He built custom biomes, so that the basic junk (topsoil blocks, "trees", etc.) provided a lot of the topology and megastructures in the game. Then he and his friends from school added the POI's to the map manually. They'd fly around and find spots where POI's would fit and just build it out. The shipped version of the map was corrupted with the manual item which I think he coded up? I know he had an uncorrupted version of the map so they could make improvements to, and then recorrupt it for testing. I also want to say that they made biome changes pretty late in the process but I have no idea how that would have worked so I might be misremembering. I do remember that the floating city was entirely biome, he had this mod he was using that did procedural floating cities, so the city was built with that and then they filled it with POI's and stuff.

After we shipped there were a few POI's he wanted to add so I ended up coding a mod that let him output POI schematics in like some buildcraft format or something, and when the chunk loaded it'd composite the POI into the game, so that the map changes could be applied to the existing map. I think we applied 4 or 5 POI's like that and probably could have done more. It's funny because a lot of random stuff we coded for blightfall got raided for parts by other modpack authors in the ensuing months (especially the coremod that would patch HQM so it wouldn't corrupt groups in multiplayer) but nobody ever touched Purple Panic, it probably wasn't 100% clear to anyone what it was.

This is really interesting stuff. Blightfall was such a crazy good modpack.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Welp the group I was playing Sevtech: Ages with are all gone and it isn't as enjoyable solo. Only made it partway into Age 3.

Any other modpack recommendations?

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 14, 2019

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Is there just a general Minecraft thread? I just came back to the game after a few years away to see what this village stuff is about. I need to find out who to stop these pillagers spawning. I've totally dismantled their hideout, but google is telling me to destroy banners. But killing dudes with banners triggers raids and now I have no villagers.

\/\/Thanks, don't know why forum search wasn't showing it

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 13, 2019

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I know this is probably one of those Annoying Questions That Gets Asked All The Time BUT:

Trying to put together a server for some pals and maybe a discord or two (and I guess maybe others!!) but haven't REALLY played Minecraft in many many years, and was looking for like that sweet spot of 'some mods, not TOO many mods'. A long time ago, we had a Tekkit server that had like, Industrial Craft 2, Equivalent Exchange, and some thing with Micro Blocks (which were AMAZING, loved those things). That seemed like a good balance - some industrial stuff, some magic stuff, some neat building stuff, and lots of little things to do without too much bloat. Just Vanilla++ basically.

So I guess I am kinda looking for suggestions on doing something similar in 2019?
So I guess something Industrial with like... pipes or automation, some tech junk or more resources to chase after.
Some sorta Magicky mod like Equivalent Exchange, idk?
Something like Micro Blocks

Then I dunno, are there any current Must Haves or just general QoL?

I am trying to do research but seems like everything died/stopped updating in 2015

Also, similarly/unrelated, is there a mod that just... makes Lighting more effective/travel further? I like to build a lot of elaborate structures but it's really frustrating to have to try and make sure you have light sources every five feet and around corners or else your Home Becomes A Dungeon.

e: I realize this is like a meandering post, but I am just Really Bad at this stuff and the person who ran our server last time is not involved, so I am both Doing This For The First Time, and also trying to emulate the Thing We Did A Long Time Ago. The OP to this thread is kinda ancient and I'm reading back through the pages to try and get a feel for what people are suggesting though

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 14, 2019

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If you're looking for a ready-built pack, I've been having a blast with Test Pack Please Ignore. I'm running on a server with a friend who has never touched modded minecraft and the only real stumbling block is how scattered 1.6.4 documentation is.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah at this point, I guess there is also a concern about 'which minecraft version would we be using, and what was minecraft like in that version' since I think many of us would not have played Minecraft itself in some time!

I will check this one out

e: I don't see anything specifically like Microblocks in there, do you know if it contains that?

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 14, 2019

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

There are various mods that add stuff that keep mobs from spawning at least. Torch Master's mega torch, Powered Lanterns from Immersive Engineering, and the Sacred Light block from Mob Totems.

If you play an older modpack see if it has Extra Utilities. Not Extra Utilities 2, the original one. If it does, Magnum Torches and Chandeliers.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Ambivalent posted:

Trying to put together a server for some pals and maybe a discord or two (and I guess maybe others!!) but haven't REALLY played Minecraft in many many years, and was looking for like that sweet spot of 'some mods, not TOO many mods'. A long time ago, we had a Tekkit server that had like, Industrial Craft 2, Equivalent Exchange, and some thing with Micro Blocks (which were AMAZING, loved those things). That seemed like a good balance - some industrial stuff, some magic stuff, some neat building stuff, and lots of little things to do without too much bloat. Just Vanilla++ basically.

So I guess I am kinda looking for suggestions on doing something similar in 2019?
So I guess something Industrial with like... pipes or automation, some tech junk or more resources to chase after.
Some sorta Magicky mod like Equivalent Exchange, idk?
Something like Micro Blocks

Then I dunno, are there any current Must Haves or just general QoL?

Industrial: Thermal Foundation and its companion mods, EnderIO, also Immersive Engineering has a lot of multiblocks if you like those. IC2 is still around, and TechReborn is very similar.
Magic: Equivalent Exchange has a modern version called ProjectE. If you're looking for a proper magic mod, Thaumcraft, Botania, and Astral Sorcery are the big names.
Chisels and Bits is basically an improved version of Microblocks.

Must-haves/QoL: Just Enough Items/JEI, Quark, WAILA/HWYLA (What Am I Looking At/Here's What You're Looking At), there are probably more, but those are a good starting point.

E: These are all for 1.12

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Thank you, friends I am gonna do some single player poking around...

e: What does it mean when the Version the mod says it is for is not 1.12 or 1.16 or w/e, but instead says 'Forge'?

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 14, 2019

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Rustic Waters continues to have very bad documentation. Like I managed to get the metal press working by making a thermo-electric generator. That's completely off book and feels like something he just forgot to lock out for whatever reason.

I have an ember activator and stuff but that doesn't actually seem to power anything so far. I assume I'm going to get further into that mod on future quests. Unfortunately I'm currently trying to charge up a battery for my submarine so I can finish that key quest and I have absolutely no way of producing RF. All of the Thermal Expansion generators are locked out and I can't seem to find any tree that even looks like it's leaning into RF generation.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ambivalent posted:

Thank you, friends I am gonna do some single player poking around...

e: What does it mean when the Version the mod says it is for is not 1.12 or 1.16 or w/e, but instead says 'Forge'?

Where are you seeing this? Usually mods are listed by minecraft version but I think forge versions only work for a specific minecraft version anyway.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

On the Curseforge page for Industrial Craft, sorry

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh I see, yeah it's a dumb UI decision on CurseForges part. If you scroll down a bit there's a bar on left that says Recent Files, there it splits them up by minecraft version. I'd recommend 1.12 since I feel like most big mods are still stuck there, including ProjectE the equivalent exchange port.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Okay, thanks a bunch, I am testing some stuff out and you've all been a tremendous help!!

Another question (sorry), we also used a mod called ComputerCraft I believe that had monitors and terminals and stuff, it was really fun to mess with, but I'm seeing it hasn't been updated in awhile - is there any way to know the state of it's compatibility or does anyone know of like, a successor-or-similar mod?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
OpenComputers is your answer, not sure what changed from computercraft.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Ambivalent posted:

Okay, thanks a bunch, I am testing some stuff out and you've all been a tremendous help!!

Another question (sorry), we also used a mod called ComputerCraft I believe that had monitors and terminals and stuff, it was really fun to mess with, but I'm seeing it hasn't been updated in awhile - is there any way to know the state of it's compatibility or does anyone know of like, a successor-or-similar mod?

I know this isn't what you originally asked for, but if you actually want some guidance on all the cool new 1.12 stuff, you should maybe consider just jumping into a modpack with guided progression and a well-written quest book. My personal recommendation for one of those is Enigmatica 2 expert mode, but being an expert-style pack means recipes are altered pretty significantly to gate mods behind others. I'm sure others would be able to recommend non-expert packs if you decide that's something you'd be into, minus the "expert mode" baggage. I'm just not familiar with them personally.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hooplah posted:

I know this isn't what you originally asked for, but if you actually want some guidance on all the cool new 1.12 stuff, you should maybe consider just jumping into a modpack with guided progression and a well-written quest book. My personal recommendation for one of those is Enigmatica 2 expert mode, but being an expert-style pack means recipes are altered pretty significantly to gate mods behind others. I'm sure others would be able to recommend non-expert packs if you decide that's something you'd be into, minus the "expert mode" baggage. I'm just not familiar with them personally.
Enigmatica 2 non-expert mode also has a quest book that guides you through things. It's a decent enough kitchen sink-ish pack, and most of the packs that have come out since it change recipes for things significantly.

I'm done with this Rustic Waters pack, I think. It's just not fun to me. It feels like it should be fun, and there's a bunch of things that are very fun-adjacent (and I can see how they'd be fun to other people) but everything just feels two steps too far towards "tedium = gameplay." Like, requiring automation through Rats is cool and good, but Rats is a mod that is built for the kind of automation you'd want in a 1.14 pack using that Create mod posted earlier in the thread, not a pack with significant tech that has you building a whole seamoth before you've got power generation.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Eox posted:

OpenComputers is your answer, not sure what changed from computercraft.

FWIW OpenComputers and ComputerCraft are not related or successors; back in 1.7.10 you could have either/both. They both do basically the same thing (add computers) but ComputerCraft is supposed to be much simpler to build and do and 'just works' while OpenComputers is supposed to be more powerful and complex, but also has a lot of options and feature creep. Also, just a lot more grinding to build parts for it, especially since the computers have tiers of function.

Note, I haven't actually used either; this comes from me looking into both mods while going 'gee, it sure would be cool if I had a computer-controlled factory and I could play with some coding while I'm figuring out how to do that!' and then... never doing that because that was time I could spend decorating my house.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Whalley posted:

Enigmatica 2 non-expert mode also has a quest book that guides you through things. It's a decent enough kitchen sink-ish pack, and most of the packs that have come out since it change recipes for things significantly.

Yeah. General impression itt was that it just boiled down to telling you to build each machine in the mod with little guidance as to why. I never played it but it didn't sound great

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Whalley posted:

I'm done with this Rustic Waters pack, I think. It's just not fun to me. It feels like it should be fun, and there's a bunch of things that are very fun-adjacent (and I can see how they'd be fun to other people) but everything just feels two steps too far towards "tedium = gameplay." Like, requiring automation through Rats is cool and good, but Rats is a mod that is built for the kind of automation you'd want in a 1.14 pack using that Create mod posted earlier in the thread, not a pack with significant tech that has you building a whole seamoth before you've got power generation.

I'm with you on this, most of the things I've done in the pack I said "oh that's kinda cool" the first time I did or used a thing but then trying to set up automation or any repeated use just got old fast.
Rats is super simple automation that I've been able to mostly sidestep with other items in the pack so I just have a bunch of rats sitting around in cages doing nothing.

I don't like gating so many little qol things behind the merchants like item filters and storage drawer upgrades especially voids. I can't even build a trash can, the one I'm using I looted from the village.
No idea why he disabled the higher level strainers. I haven't tried the rat crafting table so maybe they can make the string filters but I've been doing it all manually so far and it sucks.

The artisan tables are horrible. Even after we switched our server to "easy mode" to avoid the tool and liquid juggling I'd still just rather use a normal crafting station because I have to bounce back and forth between a normal table and the artisan basic one.

On the plus side I changed out the floor of my hub with glass and made a large shark tank and I throw fish and cows in for them to eat so that's pretty fun.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Black Pants posted:

I wonder how Blightfall's world was created, anyway. It has a bunch of weird-rear end custom biomes everywhere and seems to been generated with the taint already in place considering how much sand and gravel it's holding up that falls when you start clearing it.

For my pack I am just generating worlds until I find one I like, then use chunk pregen to generate a large area for me to populate with stuff, which I'm then including as a Lockdown template.

Not sure if you already knew that gravel can generate unsupported or what (your post is slightly unclear on the subject) but I found this area of worldgen gravel roof in my GTNH world that's existing just because no block updates have occurred to make it fall. Whatever way they used to taint the world may have triggered block updates but if it was en masse, the gravel couldn't have fallen anyway.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ambivalent posted:

You could try a "light" pack. I don't know what kind of computers you and your friends have, but light packs load way faster and require significantly less RAM.

Otherwise, any kitchen sink pack should be fine. I'd go for 1.12.2 when it comes to kitchen sink and only consider 1.7.10 if you want a specific, flavorful pack.

I wouldn't be too worried about "too many mods" other than load time.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Whalley posted:

Could you expand more on the rats thing? I haven't played 1.14 modded or unmodded, how is is automation different? I think Rats is a really cute idea but it seems like it'd cause a lot of lag

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna be honest, I was dubious about Rats before trying it, and just hate it after trying it. It was like trying to use Thaumcraft golems, except that the golems have oceleot AI and are constantly running around until you tell each of them to stand still. And just sometimes get stuck while you're trying to corral them until I exited and reentered my save.

An early quest suggested sitting a rat on a hopper to collect what it had chopped up or something, and the process of trying to get it to get onto a hopper and sit still made me ragequit the pack and I haven't loaded it back up again since.

And I think Whalley meant 'in the absence of big tech mods on 1.14 it would be nice, but if it's in a pack with pipes, why the gently caress even bother.'

...Now I'm kinda worried that people will be all enraged about having to build IE multiblocks early on in the pack I'm making. :ohdear:

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 15, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Black Pants posted:

...Now I'm kinda worried that people will be all enraged about having to build IE multiblocks early on in the pack I'm making. :ohdear:

My main problem with IE multiblocks (and IE in general) is that it’s a lot of microcrafting. You have to collect often non-trivial materials to make blast brick, coke oven blocks, treated wood (via creosote which builds up VERY slowly), etc. Plus, there’s a lot of items made with those materials that aren’t used for anything except for crafting up other items. I get that it’s supposed to be ~immersive~, but man is it boring.

Give me a bunch of the materials and crafting components up front, or make them easier/less tedious to get, and it’ll be more tolerable.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Black Pants posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I was dubious about Rats before trying it, and just hate it after trying it. It was like trying to use Thaumcraft golems, except that the golems have oceleot AI and are constantly running around until you tell each of them to stand still. And just sometimes get stuck while you're trying to corral them until I exited and reentered my save.

An early quest suggested sitting a rat on a hopper to collect what it had chopped up or something, and the process of trying to get it to get onto a hopper and sit still made me ragequit the pack and I haven't loaded it back up again since.

And I think Whalley meant 'in the absence of big tech mods on 1.14 it would be nice, but if it's in a pack with pipes, why the gently caress even bother.'

While I haven't gone beyond the chef rat for the handful of things that I need it for, the way I got him on the hopper was to tell him to stay, then put him on my shoulder, climb up on the hopper, then sneak-punch the air to put him down again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
In Rustic Waters I made a fairly compact sieve setup with the rats. The funnel that fills up buckets with water below and the sieve up top with 2 automated users.
One rat puts a filled bucket into the user, one grabs an empty bucket and puts it into the chest below.
the third takes items from a chest that i've filled from the strainers, sand/dirt/gravel.
more than enough ores than what i need atm and not laggy at all.

Its actually so compact that the 2 bucket mice dont even move because they can reach the user and the chest below from the same spot, Just the other mouse runs up and down the slabs.

e; I just have to occasionally check it because randomly the empty bucket gets caught in the input section of the automated user somehow.
But its not often enough to be a problem

OgNar fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 15, 2019