Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kyle Hyde posted:

Speaking of stats, I wonder how that evolves down the line. It looks like between the Thought Cabinet and various clothing the potential range between good and bad skills can be appreciable. I wonder if, like other games, initial stat choices become less relevant as time goes on because most of your increases come from external means.
It’s seemed to me so far that clothes and drugs are generally your instant number boosts, in addition to proper investigation, interview, tools and active Thoughts tending to bump up certain specific checks. I haven’t seen a lot of Thought rewards giving straight numbers over circumstantial bumps and cap increases, but I also haven’t yet seen a lot of Thought rewards.

One thing that seems interesting about Drugs is that your temporary Attribute increase also gives you a higher cap while active? So if you had some skill points lying around you could take the damage to raise your Skills without investing in a Thought you might not otherwise need. But related to that, you could also decide to drop a Thought once you’ve invested all the points you want, like say one just sets your cap in a Skill to 6; once you have 6 points allocated, you can ditch the Thought and still have all the points in that Skill.

But your Attributes are still pretty important; after all, each point is equivalent to 6 Skill points even before considering they determine the base caps. You’re probably not going to have nearly enough points over a game to raise everything you want without editing your file, so having a good start should still help for the duration of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Perhaps a hamster posted:

I wouldn't advise CE for the first run-through as you'd miss all the cool failure options.

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, stuff like that is what's actually pulling me to a maxed out character- the thought of being such a supercop he Peter Principles himself into absolute failure is hilarious to me!

:colbert:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Question for the people playing this game already, is there an iron man like one save and it always autosaves option to save me from myself? In games like this I tend to try not to save/reload for difficult decisions that might lead to a character dying or whatever but sometimes I break and once that happens I basically can't stop trying to min max a playthrough and it has ruined games for me in the past. I could see this being the sort of game where that could happen as well, even though failing is part of the experience.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

On second thought, maxed out stats would probs also result in you being pulled all sorts of crazy directions based on skills' whims, with them overriding each other at every opportunity. So yes, please CE and report back. I can only imagine the result being something like a very unstable Dr. Manhattan.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
been watching the streams and this game looks like the real deal

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mad Wack posted:

been watching the streams and this game looks like the real deal

I only watched one stream just long enough for them to leave the apartment room to know it was gonna be amazing and to stop watching.

I have no idea what kind of character/stats spread I want to do...

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The real question is, what stat array will let me play the most boring character?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

probably like 2 in everything except motorics

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

We live in an unfair world where streamers already have full playthroughs up on twitch before the game is even released. This sucks. Why can't it be Tuesday already?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So is it too much to hope that this game will be awesome AND relatively bug free on launch?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So is it too much to hope that this game will be awesome AND relatively bug free on launch?

Small studio. 90 hours' content. Lots of complex scripting. True, there's no traditional combat to complicate things but... Well I'd expect some bugs in the tradition of great RPGs like Arcanum and Bloodlines.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It wasn't a final build but I saw an amusing bug on stream where the player clicked a point of interest with no immediate path and the hapless detective decided to try clipping through a building and walking on their own past the painted zone into the abyss.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I used to work in game QA and boy let me tell you -- given the studio size and the complexity of just the dialog branching, if there aren't enough bugs to qualify for euro jank then they pulled off a miracle, or possibly just had sensible QA procedure from the get-go. I mean, that said though from all the streams I've watched so far (which granted I never watched beyond the initial investigation stuff) I've noticed only two bugs. One was Kim standing on a weird piece of geometry and vibrating up and down, and the other was a missing 'a' in the word "Revachol" in a thought description. Given how complex the dialog branching has been just in what I've seen though, I've been impressed with the lack of bugs so far.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im going to play this game by picking the funniest sounding option 100% of the time

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm going to sit in character creation for hours and inevitably make a dozen characters and never get past act 1.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm going to sit in character creation for hours and inevitably make a dozen characters and never get past act 1.

Big same. We're so lucky the character already comes with a name, aren't we? :v:

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Reading through old dev blogs because I'm so goddamn excited:

"the blog posted:

Some background info for those interested – we’re a fresh team of some 11 dudes sitting in some (currently very cold) rooms in Tallinn, Estonia making the game in Unity. As kids a bunch of us were big fans of the old Fallouts and Infinity Engine games, so it’s pretty darn dope to be making one now. The dream is to make a full form RPG after this one, but for now we consider No Truce a first bite. A smaller game to work out our big mechanics and storytelling methods.

So this is the smaller testbed for their big dream game? And it's 60 hours?

These motherfuckers are insane.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I'm wanna play Sherlock - high int and motorics, think that's one of the default builds. Does that block me from developing Shivers in the physical tree? That sounds like the most interesting skill in the game but I'm not interested in the rest of the physical skills.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

lol they got the chapo guys to do bad VA for their game

https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1183424558667354112?s=20

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

adamarama posted:

I'm wanna play Sherlock - high int and motorics, think that's one of the default builds. Does that block me from developing Shivers in the physical tree? That sounds like the most interesting skill in the game but I'm not interested in the rest of the physical skills.
It'll mean you start with a low cap (the default has 2 FYS so your starting max score for Shivers will be 4, or 5 if you make it your Signature Ability). Some drugs will raise your FYS by 1 while active, which should mean you can bump that up another point. I haven't yet seen it present, but I'd be surprised if there isn't at least one Thought Cabinet reward that raises Shivers's cap specifically. But that's a long way to say, "No, there should be some way to focus on Shivers without necessarily investing in the rest of the FYS Abilities."

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

singateco posted:

Reading through old dev blogs because I'm so goddamn excited:

So this is the smaller testbed for their big dream game? And it's 60 hours?

These motherfuckers are insane.
Nah, that was the initial plan. Then they kept developing the idea and it just expanded. So, this is their big dream game now.

Hogama posted:

I haven't yet seen it present, but I'd be surprised if there isn't at least one Thought Cabinet reward that raises Shivers's cap specifically. [/b]"

Correct. It's also one of the very first thoughts you can access, and it raises Shivers cap to... six, I think? It's Hobocop.

ShelticRule
Oct 3, 2019
Has anyone heard how game saving works in this game? It's not a game where I'd want to save scum, but it would be nice if there were saved game slots, so that my wife and I would each have a game going.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ShelticRule posted:

Has anyone heard how game saving works in this game? It's not a game where I'd want to save scum, but it would be nice if there were saved game slots, so that my wife and I would each have a game going.

As a eurojank game you're going to want at least six save slots per person, minimum.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Nah, that was the initial plan. Then they kept developing the idea and it just expanded. So, this is their big dream game now.

Yeah I think there's like 20-something people on staff now so it sounds like they doubled their studio
since then

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ShelticRule posted:

Seems like just a normal save system. You have your auto-saves, quick saves and a bunch of slots for manual saves. Actually, this being a PC game, I don't even think there is a limit to how many manual saves you can make.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Is it known when we might start seeing reviews drop for this? Tomorrow can't come quick enough.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

iGestalt posted:

Is it known when we might start seeing reviews drop for this? Tomorrow can't come quick enough.

There is no embargo, but this is also a niche game where there isn't really an incentive to being the first to publish a review, so journos are taking their time.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
For anyone developing an RPG, giving it to Cohh to stream is probably the best marketing you can do. This was a game that I was aware existed, but didn't really care for until I saw Cohh stream it, and now I can't wait.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
been watching the streams a lot and only seen one bug, a softlock, late in the game

also it seems like the game might be somewhat frontloaded or this streamer is totally clueless on days 4 & 5 - lots of wandering around looking for the next plot beat or new dialogue

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

iGestalt posted:

Like Fair Bear Maiden said, there's no embargo. So since my review will run in Finnish down the road, I'll say this here: I completed the game and it's insanely, extremely good. It's a weird mishmash of art styles and completely out there ideas that works magnificently.

The writing is extremely strong from start to finish, and manages to balance self-aware and referential (I don't mean "you meet a guy named NINJA who STREAMS HOLO GAMES" referential) with dramatic and faithful to the setting and genre super well. It also feels like a proper role-playing game, which is a delight. I figured calling the abilities and stats things like "visual calculus" and "esprit de corps" was just a cute gimmick but nope, it's a game where how empathetic you are (or aren't) is important.

Downsides? Well, the game could've used some really good fast travel options, because you'll be doing a lot of walking around, and it gets kinda old to click along the path to that one guy's container hut and then back again when it turns out he wasn't the guy you needed to talk to after all. There's also some minor scripting weirdness (talking to a guy seems to assume you got in through way X and met character Y, when I hadn't even seen character Y and got in a completely another way etc) and of course the game is available only in English, if that's a deal breaker for anyone.

I gave it a 4,5 / 5 and called it a game that isn't afraid of breaking boundaries and pushing away players, and as a result it absolutely enthralled me and set my imagination afire.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

When in doubt, always remember the important rule that anyone playing a game before release suffers a mysterious penalty to their playing skills.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Der Shovel posted:

Like Fair Bear Maiden said, there's no embargo. So since my review will run in Finnish down the road, I'll say this here: I completed the game and it's insanely, extremely good. It's a weird mishmash of art styles and completely out there ideas that works magnificently.

The writing is extremely strong from start to finish, and manages to balance self-aware and referential (I don't mean "you meet a guy named NINJA who STREAMS HOLO GAMES" referential) with dramatic and faithful to the setting and genre super well. It also feels like a proper role-playing game, which is a delight. I figured calling the abilities and stats things like "visual calculus" and "esprit de corps" was just a cute gimmick but nope, it's a game where how empathetic you are (or aren't) is important.

Downsides? Well, the game could've used some really good fast travel options, because you'll be doing a lot of walking around, and it gets kinda old to click along the path to that one guy's container hut and then back again when it turns out he wasn't the guy you needed to talk to after all. There's also some minor scripting weirdness (talking to a guy seems to assume you got in through way X and met character Y, when I hadn't even seen character Y and got in a completely another way etc) and of course the game is available only in English, if that's a deal breaker for anyone.

I gave it a 4,5 / 5 and called it a game that isn't afraid of breaking boundaries and pushing away players, and as a result it absolutely enthralled me and set my imagination afire.

About how long was your play time and do you think you'll be doing a run with a different character or do you feel like you need to set it aside for a while before revisiting?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Sold. Fantastic, thank you.

As for the first downside - you could argue that it's part of the experience? Going around, chasing leads, etc. But I am very, very excited for the game and will be grabbing it tomorrow.

iGestalt fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 14, 2019

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Fextralife review:

"Our #DiscoElysium review is live and we gotta tell you guys that we were completely blown away. This game is not your traditional RPG and that's a-okay with us."

https://fextralife.com/disco-elysium-review-dark-humor-goes-detective/

"(8.5) Summary: In a day and age where social and political issues are subtly weaved into the very fabric of nearly every form of entertainment, Disco Elysium takes them head on without a hint of shyness. Disco Elysium is certainly not a game for those that are faint of heart, but if you have a sense of humor, and you're looking for a breath of fresh air then Disco Elysium is a must buy game. If it doesn't make you laugh out loud a time or three, I'll ride the Cock Carousel."

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
take my money already

Edit: so do we know if it’s going to be released actually tomorrow, or is it like 12 AM eastern tonight, or what?

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 14, 2019

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I believe the launch is at the usual time Steam ticks over; 25 hours from now.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Captain Magic posted:

take my money already

Edit: so do we know if it’s going to be released actually tomorrow, or is it like 12 AM eastern tonight, or what?

According to Devs, 10 AM PDT.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
BOOOOOO

Okay that’s cool. Thank you. Gives me a little more time to decide between super-tough, perceptive drunkard cop or massively dumb, sexy physical instrument cop.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I just found out that there is an official discord. I just joined it, and it doesn't seem insane so:

https://discordapp.com/invite/BMRfCYC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I demand release time be 12 AM Estonia time. :colbert: