Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

"I was a complete failure right up until the point I inherited all my success and it could happen for you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

fauna posted:

never, that's the point. the police are getting bolder and saying things about how they're battle-hardened or whatever and threatening to trample protesters with their horses, so it's only a matter of time before some loose cannon snaps and kills someone, and because that's unprecedented here (for straight white people) it will change the game entirely

They did this and more regarding the WTO protests which were a million times more violent end to end.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

fauna posted:

never, that's the point. the police are getting bolder and saying things about how they're battle-hardened or whatever and threatening to trample protesters with their horses, so it's only a matter of time before some loose cannon snaps and kills someone, and because that's unprecedented here (for straight white people) it will change the game entirely

One of the XR people who was arrested on Friday was denied her medication (for anxiety & bi-polar) when she was thrown into the lock up for about 10 hours.

So doesn't even need to be a mental cop killing someone, but just the usual "neglect" that can happen to some people in lock ups that wind up with people dead.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
One nation members want Hanson out of her president for life job, but it costs a hundred and fifty to go to the convention to vote her out of it, so they're crowd funding the money to go

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Not sure I would trust the Australian general public to riot over police brutality towards people they hate for blocking the roads and media personalities say should be run over without getting any backlash for it.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
hey fauna i was at a presentation by scott ludlam on the weekend that you would have been interested in: he touched on the language used by XR and how we have to be very careful with some of it, especially talk of a climate 'emergency' as there is nothing that authoritarians love more than an emergency to implement draconian laws and repeal human rights.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Not sure I would trust the Australian general public to riot over police brutality towards people they hate for blocking the roads and media personalities say should be run over without getting any backlash for it.

Those people will end up against the wall when it actually happens. People don't take that threat seriously until it happens to a white person.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

GoldStandardConure posted:

hey fauna i was at a presentation by scott ludlam on the weekend that you would have been interested in: he touched on the language used by XR and how we have to be very careful with some of it, especially talk of a climate 'emergency' as there is nothing that authoritarians love more than an emergency to implement draconian laws and repeal human rights.
i wish i'd been there! did he suggest an alternative?

you would be surprised. one great thing about ex is how multi-demographic it is - the eventual death is just as likely to be that of a child or an elderly person or someone that even conservatives find they have sympathy for. martyrdom isn't just for jihadists. that's the important thing about the peacefulness of the protests, the protesters aren't seeking to be killed, we're all hoping it doesn't happen, but it's a sad reality of a police state that it's pretty much guaranteed to happen sooner or later

Intoluene posted:

Those people will end up against the wall when it actually happens. People don't take that threat seriously until it happens to a white person.
and then hopefully this will happen too. if we can break the undeserved credibility of australia's hopelessly biased media, that impairs the government's most important tool

fauna fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 14, 2019

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Intoluene posted:

This is analogous to border force treating white people like poo poo though. It does make people angry but at best they only get angry about that specific case, and the systemic realisation that border force are an inherently bad organisation never happens as much as leftists hope this will be the time the rest of Australia comes to the same conclusion as them.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

A protestor getting killed will lead to nothing

The same spin that says an unarmed black teen getting murdered in his own home was "no angel" is easy when the media and slackarses already hate you

"He smoked a weed once and he stopped traffic! He deserved to die!"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

There are literally people threatening to run down protestors on social media and the like. You think they're going to riot if a cop (who they love) caps a kid (who they hate)?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

KAK calling for protesters to be run over, goddamn.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

fauna posted:

i wish i'd been there! did he suggest an alternative?

I can't remember, it was a long weekend and he talked about a lot of things (including the need for Fully Automated Luxury Communism, using those exact words), he just touched on it briefly.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Yeah but Australians unironically think that they should be able to run over whoever they want.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

MysticalMachineGun posted:

There are literally people threatening to run down protestors on social media and the like. You think they're going to riot if a cop (who they love) caps a kid (who they hate)?
nobody is going to riot after one death, this is always going to be a gradual thing. but yes, if a white kid dies, there will be a subtle but definite shift in public perceptions of the police, of the protests, and of the urgency of the climate situation. some idiots will double down and go "xr murdered that poor child!" but if it's a definite case of police brutality (or bystander brutality, like what happened in charlottesville) that message will have no staying power. and yes, like, if someone drives a car into a crowd of protesters and kak is on camera telling people to drive a car into a crowd of protesters, there will be scrutiny of that as well

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
the cops stole scott ludlams bootlaces when he was arrested, so now he has red bootlaces

problematic

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Synthbuttrange posted:

KAK calling for protesters to be run over, goddamn.

yeah, it's not just "people on social media" like dumb halal boycotts or whatever, it's old media 'institutions' like Kerry-Anne thirsting for the blood of protesters so people are well primed to not give a poo poo when some dole bludger whitey gets run over by nanna Ruth on her way to the hospital or whatever

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

the cops stole scott ludlams bootlaces when he was arrested, so now he has red bootlaces

problematic

Another victim of carceral radicalisation

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
fauna if you get an account upgrade to get PMs or have an email or something I can tell you about some XR stuff that I think you'd be interested in

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Box of Bunnies posted:

yeah, it's not just "people on social media" like dumb halal boycotts or whatever, it's old media 'institutions' like Kerry-Anne thirsting for the blood of protesters so people are well primed to not give a poo poo when some dole bludger whitey gets run over by nanna Ruth on her way to the hospital or whatever

It is extremely cool and good that media figures are calling for the death of protesters. When you consider the precedent set by the 6 (at least) organisers from the Ferguson riot being murdered by white supremacists, one of whom was literally lynched, while nobody in law enforcement was even slightly concerned about it and ruled them all as accidental/suicide.

How long before some jackbooted thug cop or Blair Cottrell type decides to take business into their own hands and go after XR organisers? Some of them are already getting death threats via Twitter/Facebook DMs from wingnuts.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

fauna if you get an account upgrade to get PMs or have an email or something I can tell you about some XR stuff that I think you'd be interested in
i communicate by goat

fauna fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 1, 2019

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

realistically they're gonna do it anyway. theyve never needed a problem to actually exist before forcing its solution on people, eg the constant increase in power security agencies have been getting under dutton, laws against "vegan terrorists" and boobytrapped protesters. its a shame you cant remember if ludlum had any suggested alternatives, holding your tongue in fear the liberals will use it as an excuse to do evil seems like it ends up with business as usual until they do what you were trying to avoid giving them cover to do anyway:
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw...012-p5302f.html

quote:

Environmental and planning rules could be circumvented to fast-track dams, bores and water pipelines under emergency drought-busting laws being considered by the Berejiklian government, as it joins with federal counterparts to inject $1 billion into getting the critical projects built.

Under the proposal, Water Minister Melinda Pavey would be able to direct Planning Department bureaucrats to speed up the construction of water infrastructure by up to two years by slashing requirements to conduct biodiversity surveys and leaving planning decisions to WaterNSW.
But Nature Conservation Council spokesman James Tremain said the Coalition "was warned years ago of the looming water crisis in the bush but failed to act".
“Well, now the chickens have come home to roost and Nationals ministers are running around shouting about new dams and throwing out proper planning processes," Mr Tremain said.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/oct/13/nsw-to-get-a-new-dam-as-part-of-1bn-drought-emergency-boost

quote:

The federal and New South Wales governments are investing $1bn in water infrastructure for rural and regional communities impacted by the devastating drought in NSW.
“Our response to the ongoing drought impacting rural and regional communities is comprehensive and committed,” the prime minister, Scott Morrison, said in a statement on Sunday.
“It deals with immediate needs for financial assistance in and longer-term investments to build drought resilience for the future,” Morrison said.
However, the Nature Conservation Council warned the NSW government to retain thorough assessment of water infrastructure projects to avoid further ecological catastrophes, like the mass fish kills earlier this year.
“We need thorough assessment of water infrastructure projects now more than ever to ensure we don’t make matters worse,” the chief executive, Chris Gambian, said in a statement.
“The problems we are facing today are a direct result of this government refusing to listen to its own planning experts, who warned of this looming water crisis six years ago."
The council said it feared the measures would open the door to the state’s water minister sidelining the planning department and leaving decisions to WaterNSW.

“Bypassing proper environmental checks will compound the ecological and social disasters the NSW government’s has already helped to create,” Gambian said.
“This is going to be a devastating summer across NSW and no amount of political chest beating is going to make it any more manageable.
“We need to reduce our water use, and the best way to do that is by slashing the amount of water allocated to big irrigators and to stop undermining the Murray Daring Basin Plan.”
“Governments stopped building dams 30 years ago for a very good reason. Dams fail to provide water security for local communities, they degrade river systems and cause a host of environmental problems.
“And in the era of climate change and higher evaporation, new dams are unlikely to fill.”

its probably a winning play for the lnp. ignore the warnings for years, insult the people trying to help you as greenies who hate "real australians", until it becomes so in your face even nationals voters cant ignore it. then you make a big song and dance about all youre doing to help in this "emergency", put on a cowboy hat and hand out some giant cheques for poorly thought out solutions that end up making everything worse. blame the eventual problems that come to light on the same greenies that warned you about the issue in the first place and repeat forever. the base will love it.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

quote:

the base will love it.
this is the beginning and end of lnp policy

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

fauna posted:

do you have a twitter? twitter dms are my most reliable contact point at the moment, this is me

I did have a twitter but it got hijacked by a bot and I am too lazy to get it back.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/mcberkman/status/1183557935395299328

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

realistically they're gonna do it anyway. theyve never needed a problem to actually exist before forcing its solution on people, eg the constant increase in power security agencies have been getting under dutton, laws against "vegan terrorists" and boobytrapped protesters. its a shame you cant remember if ludlum had any suggested alternatives, holding your tongue in fear the liberals will use it as an excuse to do evil seems like it ends up with business as usual until they do what you were trying to avoid giving them cover to do anyway

It was a Greens event so he was mostly there to talk about Greens stuff rather than hang poo poo on XR (given that he has been doing a bunch of XR stuff recently), mostly talking about new messaging and ideas for the greens eg: fully automated luxury gay space communism

His message definately wasn't to hold your tongue. I also think he didn't want go into too much detail as he is writing a book at the moment which might covet a whole bunch of these ideas, and he didn't have a lot of time to talk & take questions.

He is still pro protest & civil disobedience for sure.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/CaseyBriggs/status/1183539500795883520?s=20

lmao that it's taken this loving long

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

wtf boomers on twitter have been calling things woke since forever. this is who i picture every time somebody calls something woke

https://twitter.com/GrumpyOLSoldier/status/1163296401117179907

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Sigh of relief that it's not Grumpy QLD Soldier

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Carlton fans must be stopped

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

wtf boomers on twitter have been calling things woke since forever. this is who i picture every time somebody calls something woke

https://twitter.com/GrumpyOLSoldier/status/1163296401117179907

who cares what this nerd says

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Guardian Liveblog posted:

Rob Mitchell gets booted for asking Dan Tehan to table the document he was talking from, as there is no mention of education in the talking points.

Worth it.

:laffo:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Liberal Education Policy is as follows:

- Freee speecccchhhh!
- Make Chinese pay for it
- Arts degrees bad; Engineering good
- Social research bad; need more COAL RESEARCH!
- Figure out how to do university without academics??? Make em casuals?!
- Better outcomes for our friends

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If I can pull myself up from my bootstraps after a ferocious dog attack by asking Dad for a cradle to grave job, so can you!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

loving lol at this dickhead having the nerve to lecture anyone about hard work.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Anidav did u tell someone at work about ‘wokeness’ bc I picked up the paper and saw it about 10 times before I even hit the letters page

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Nah, they must've heard an open door fart that sounded like the word Woke.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Nah, they must've heard an open door fart that sounded like the word Woke.

I thought that was just Andrew Bolt.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
love to build dams to be filled with rain that is never arriving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Ok which one of you is the weird unit on my train loudly theorycrafting American political conspiracy bullshit over the phone.