Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Wow, I didn't know Paul Grist did anything for Marvel/DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

prefect posted:

The Black Racer

I don't think the all-black one in the Marvel comics is always ski-based. I remember him representing thoughts of suicide in an issue of Quasar, and he manifested all kinds of stuff from his body.

Not, of course, to be confused with DC’s Scarlet Skier, herald to Mister Nebula (the Cosmic Redecorator) as seen in the Giffen/DeMatteis JL.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Agnar has the face of a man who is simultaneously seein' this poo poo and not seein' this poo poo.

Balder the Brave (1985) #2

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lurdiak posted:

Let me tell you, I was shocked as hell to find out the GBA Flash game had a Black Flash mechanic.

Can you go into this more? I didn't even know there was a Flash game on the GBA.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vandar posted:

Can you go into this more? I didn't even know there was a Flash game on the GBA.

When you run out of health, flash sort of has a little stagger animation before he dies and you very briefly see a black blur before he collapses. If you activate speed force mode(basically bullet time) when he's staggering, you see the black flash coming up, and if you can beat it away you recover some health and can keep playing. You can't just keep doing this over and over because the speed force meter runs out pretty quick.

That is a really deep cut to implement in the mechanics of what's basically just a beat-em-up with a speed gimmick.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lobok posted:

Agnar has the face of a man who is simultaneously seein' this poo poo and not seein' this poo poo.

Balder the Brave (1985) #2
I'm assuming Balder's arm is in a sling because he pulled a tendon lifting his helmet up onto his head?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Knormal posted:

I'm assuming Balder's arm is in a sling because he pulled a tendon lifting his helmet up onto his head?

Isn’t that because his hand was chomped off by Fenrir? (I have no idea if that’s a thing in Marvel, but it is in the mythology)

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Proteus Jones posted:

Isn’t that because his hand was chomped off by Fenrir? (I have no idea if that’s a thing in Marvel, but it is in the mythology)

:pseudo: Tyr was the one that got his hand bit off by Fenrir! Balder is the guy that was invulnerable until mistletoe and also Loki happened.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Knormal posted:

Balder's daily safety tip: Always keep the pads on your horns so you don't poke an eye out putting your helmet on.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
For being so fast, he can be remarkably slow sometimes.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

But Jameson really does love his coffee now..

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

But Jameson really does love his coffee now..

I think about that last panel roughly once a month

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Those are the only edits that should ever be allowed to be posted imo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not so much a funny panel as a funny way to read the panel thanks to Jeff Goldblum.

Thor 368

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9WOWHerNcA

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians
From the sad, late period of the Mark Gruenwald captain America run...

Her three biggest heroes are Cap, Mother Theresa, and ... ummmm.... Michael Stipe. 1994 everybody!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GPTribefan posted:

From the sad, late period of the Mark Gruenwald captain America run...

Her three biggest heroes are Cap, Mother Theresa, and ... ummmm.... Michael Stipe. 1994 everybody!!!

I mean it's more reasonable to have Michael Stipe as your hero than Mother Theresa unless you don't actually know anything about Mother Theresa.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it's more reasonable to have Michael Stipe as your hero than Mother Theresa unless you don't actually know anything about Mother Theresa.

You probably wouldn't know that in 1994.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
guess so, the Hitchens doco was November '94

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 2, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

graham cracker posted:

Those are the only edits that should ever be allowed to be posted imo.

That's an edit?! :monocle:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Next Time on Newspaper Spider-Man '78

Updates every day at about this hour, don't go anywhere!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Little does Doctor Doom suspect that boasting about his plan from a flatscreen on the belly of a giant pidgeon hovering over his enemy, is not a an effective way to maintain secrecy.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It's Newspaper Spider-Man.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
New Doctor Doom is indeed, great.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Quippy Doom just seems...undignified, I guess?

Maybe I just don’t want my characters to grow and change, but Doom is at his best* when he’s either smug in his invincible ethical and personal superiority and letting you know how far below his attention you are, or befuddled by peasant heroes who are for some reason opposing his perfectly logical schemes that they are far too plebeian to understand.

(*All lies; Doom is at his best pulling $200 out of a credenza to pay Luke Cage.)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Even Doom isn't above making fun of how terrible of an idea Brexit is.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Admiralty Flag posted:

Quippy Doom just seems...undignified, I guess?

Maybe I just don’t want my characters to grow and change, but Doom is at his best* when he’s either smug in his invincible ethical and personal superiority and letting you know how far below his attention you are, or befuddled by peasant heroes who are for some reason opposing his perfectly logical schemes that they are far too plebeian to understand.

(*All lies; Doom is at his best pulling $200 out of a credenza to pay Luke Cage.)

ngl that particular panel really took me out too, it was funny but at the same time did not feel like doom to me, but the rest of the book was on point imo

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Batman Universe #2

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #5 (1940)

Plastic Man #8 (1947)

From Beyond the Unknown #5 (1970)

Mark Hazzard, Merc #2 (1986)

Weird Fantasy #1 (1992)

Marville #2 (2002)

Tales of the Unexpected #6 (2007)

Street Fighter II Turbo #12 (2010)

Mortal Kombat X #10 (2015)

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

The flow of panels in that post makes it seem like fahzhits VAMPYAH gorilla COUND Julius led to Zangieff bear wrestling again. Looking over what I just typed, it looks like I'm having a stroke

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Darthemed posted:

From Beyond the Unknown #5 (1970)

The sound is a fart right? How could it not be?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Treasure Chest was a Catholic comic book that did a propaganda series about communism in the 60s, titled "This Godless Communism".

Wow.

Treasure Chest, v.17 #12

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

William Bear posted:

Treasure Chest was a Catholic comic book that did a propaganda series about communism in the 60s, titled "This Godless Communism".

Wow.

Treasure Chest, v.17 #12

David Ives posted:

. . . You know, Ramon was in here yesterday, telling me about his mountain-climbing trip. And now that I think about it, he was carrying a mountain-climber’s axe. I can’t remember if he had it when he left the room . . .

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

ScottyJSno posted:

The sound is a fart right? How could it not be?

I needed to know as well. Are you sure you want the answer? The story in question was originally from the 50s, so there's definitely no need for spoilers, but why not add a little suspense?

Okay...

The anti-invasion machine is a weapon that destroys objects via soundwaves, which the creator claims is also activated by a sound. It does work, but the one time it's shown working the creator literally tells people to look at something else when he activates it, and they never find a sound that turns it on. So it's plausible even within the story that he was lying.

The man who created it is a rogue plutonian scientist who disagrees with the invasion; the plutonian spaceships cannot be harmed by nuclear weapons so he provides them the sonic weapon as a defence to destroy the spaceships when they're 1000 miles up.

He diesmysteriously. Supposedly he is accidentally killed while working on the machine.

Faced with no other option, humans try good old nuclear bombs and... the fleet retreats, because it was a hoax.

Well, kind of. The scientist really was an alien, the invasion fleet existed, the sonic weapon works, but there's no air in space so it would have been useless even if they could activate it. His plan was to make humanity think they were defenseless so they would surrender. As usual, doesn't really make sense if you think about it.

I noticed the no-air-in-space twist but I was surprised that it was actually a plot point and not just bad science.

Edit: man, these stories are real dumb. Gotta be some good panels in here.

uvar fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 15, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How would looking away from the machine keep people from figuring out what SOUND was needed to activate it?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Darthemed posted:

Marville #2 (2002)

Hang on, you can see clouds above the building in the first panel, but there's a tower there in the second panel. I call shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The angle changes. The building is to the right.

I love that your issue is with the skyline, and not questioning why Spiderman is letting it all hang loose in both panels :v: