Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Majorian posted:

There's a historical school of thought that there was sort of a mini-Industrial Revolution in the High Middle Ages, and that a lot of the roots of Capitalism can be found there. I still think it's a massive stretch to say that "Capitalism developed there," but meh.

wasnt that mostly backed by the guilds or highly centralized (for a pre-modern definition of centralized) monarchies and not the bougioise as the later industrial revolution was. cuz the aristocracy and guilds either lost a lot of power or died completely when capitalism began

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Halloween Jack posted:

I got like 20 minutes into Sleazoids' Ronin episode before I realized I was confusing Ronin with Heat.

shameful

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

wasnt that mostly backed by the guilds or highly centralized (for a pre-modern definition of centralized) monarchies and not the bougioise as the later industrial revolution was. cuz the aristocracy and guilds either lost a lot of power or died completely when capitalism began

yeah, also the patron system in italy

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Larry Parrish posted:

didnt most of the prominent English guilds morph into the modern day companies that run The City of London?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Goast posted:

didnt most of the prominent English guilds morph into the modern day companies that run The City of London?

sure but by the time that transformation completed they were completely unrecognizable

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
explaining the development of capitalism through technology is easy because it allows pop-academics to sell the narrative that 'a new tool was invented, people decided to use it, and well look what happened!' as if the development of bourgeois-dominated societies was a morally neutral inevitability. they rarely go through the obvious next step, though, which is to interrogate why the new technology was developed, and who it was developed for.

the reason why europe became the center of world power throughout the early modern and modern era was because it was the only continent with access to the resources of the americas, which they brought back through brutal exploitation and slavery. the invention of the steam engine was literally funded by the superprofits of caribbean sugar plantations. this also refracts onto social developments -- the propaganda and myths used to justify the european witch hunts (meeting in a ritual circles at night, communing with devils, consuming the flesh of children, etc.) were modeled after the tales used to justify the slaughter of native populations in america. the reason why medieval european institutions begin convulse and explode around the 1550's is due to the radical new wealth found through american exploitation, and what that wealth affected class dynamics in those societies.

super concentration of capital through colonialism is the only materialist explanation for the development of capitalism. there were other regions of the world that had greater population and technological sophistication, but none had access to the wealth of the americas. liberal hagiographers explain europe's success through idealistic explanations like the 'protestant work ethic' or 'oriental hoarding vs. western investment,' or 'competition of small states', but the truth is that the footfall of every inspiring entrepreneur is supported by the bone of a native skull.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well it helps that europe has (had) a ton of easily accessible steel and coal so they could conquer the americas in the first place. even with smallpox i dont really think the euros would have had an easy of a time conquering over here if all they had was a bunch of pikemen and crossbows. the post-black death population boom also had a lot to do with it since now there was a huge surplus of labor and not just a normal amount

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Also it specifically started in England, as France didnt get it until later and Spain didnt industrialize until the very late 19th century. Clearly its not just colonialism in the Americas that did it.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

the deeper i get into epstein brain the less i would be surprised if it turns out the loom was a CIA op

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

gh0stpinballa posted:

heidecker fails to raise a chuckle from this listener

would you say it was laugh-free?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Scrree posted:

explaining the development of capitalism through technology is easy because it allows pop-academics to sell the narrative that 'a new tool was invented, people decided to use it, and well look what happened!' as if the development of bourgeois-dominated societies was a morally neutral inevitability. they rarely go through the obvious next step, though, which is to interrogate why the new technology was developed, and who it was developed for.

the reason why europe became the center of world power throughout the early modern and modern era was because it was the only continent with access to the resources of the americas, which they brought back through brutal exploitation and slavery. the invention of the steam engine was literally funded by the superprofits of caribbean sugar plantations. this also refracts onto social developments -- the propaganda and myths used to justify the european witch hunts (meeting in a ritual circles at night, communing with devils, consuming the flesh of children, etc.) were modeled after the tales used to justify the slaughter of native populations in america. the reason why medieval european institutions begin convulse and explode around the 1550's is due to the radical new wealth found through american exploitation, and what that wealth affected class dynamics in those societies.

super concentration of capital through colonialism is the only materialist explanation for the development of capitalism. there were other regions of the world that had greater population and technological sophistication, but none had access to the wealth of the americas. liberal hagiographers explain europe's success through idealistic explanations like the 'protestant work ethic' or 'oriental hoarding vs. western investment,' or 'competition of small states', but the truth is that the footfall of every inspiring entrepreneur is supported by the bone of a native skull.

liberal hagiography doesn't even acknowledge the immense social struggle and revolutionary action that elevated the bourgeois into being the ruling class in the first place

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

Also it specifically started in England, as France didnt get it until later and Spain didnt industrialize until the very late 19th century. Clearly its not just colonialism in the Americas that did it.

The industrial revolution happened in England because the UK has an ideal geography for the kind of public works that were necessary to even realize the sort of commerce that could facilitate an industrial revolution through its canal network. That also doesn't mean that the industrial revolution precedes capitalism, it only accelerated it. Spain couldn't industrialize at the time of its colonial golden age not just because of its geography, but because the dominant economic ideology made it impossible for them to capitalize on all the gold they were stealing from Mexico & the Andes. Compared to Spain, the UK had a much more massive captive market it could trade with because by the 19th century they had already conquered half of India and turned the rest into dependencies.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

gh0stpinballa posted:

the deeper i get into epstein brain the less i would be surprised if it turns out the loom was a CIA op

Luddites were a psyop to discredit any criticism of technological advancements

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Scrree posted:

Do you have a podcast and if not can you make a podcast because this poo poo is fascinating

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

gh0stpinballa posted:

what's a good film pod, apart from filmsuck whoch i enjoy, seems like most google throws up are by shitlibs trying to view everything thru the lens of trump's america

filmdrunk frotcast. hosts are funny, its somewhat about movies.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

ptkfvk posted:

filmdrunk frotcast. hosts are funny, its somewhat about movies.

is the rest about rubbing dicks against things

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Loved Sympathy for the Joker episode. Them tearing apart the liberal scolds was great. Hope Australia never recovers. Also Love Guru is an amazing film.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Ironic racist comedian Nick Mullen is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Nick Mullen.”

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got around to the newest trillbillies and Tom mentions that 'the left sounds fuckin' crazy, cuz if we did what we felt we'd *bleep* ICE agent' and from context later he 100% said murder lmfao. Trillbillies is the wokest

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

trueanon reupping the same episode with the same guest talking up medicare 4 all, that literally every leftist podcast has done this year, as an UNLOCKED EP in lieu of new content, would indicate they're getting ready to shelve the pod, tbh

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

some people brace knew may have been killed in the past week

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
They also aren't scheduled to release an episode until tomorrow or the day after, so it could also just be that.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah this cannot be an easy time for him

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Doc Hawkins posted:

holy gently caress i completely forgot about his relationship with the ypg, i feel like a dick. poo poo. yeah this must be awful for him.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Speaking of murdered leftists: https://www.reddit.com/r/ChapoTrapHouse/comments/dh90y5/this_comrades_name_was_sean_sean_was_a_hardcore/

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1183424558667354112?s=19

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Say his name

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Its time for us in this thread to climb up and make the non succc true believer podcast

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Larry Parrish posted:

Say his name

Was the only source I had on it until now. https://www.opb.org/news/article/antifa-killed-homicide-cider-riot-sean-kealiher/ Sean Kealiher.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

feeling good about my policy to always, always mute voice acting when i play adventure games

feeling bad about murdered comrades

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

no, I mean, idk if other cities do it but when protest police deaths out here in sac a common call/repeat thing is for the march leader to shout SAY HIS (or her) NAAAME and everyone yells it back. sorry, I should have put some context maybe. This sucks real bad

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Scrree posted:

The development of capitalism through technology, or the 'mode of production', is the historical materialist explanation; "the hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist." Europe reached the Americas through advances in shipbuilding and navigation and they were able to exterminate and enslave the peoples they encountered in large part thanks to gunpowder and steel weapons.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
the chapos are in real trouble now they have to choose between the akp grey wolves and the lion Assad. drat dude. sucks when your faves argue

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Helsing posted:

The development of capitalism through technology, or the 'mode of production', is the historical materialist explanation; "the hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist." Europe reached the Americas through advances in shipbuilding and navigation and they were able to exterminate and enslave the peoples they encountered in large part thanks to gunpowder and steel weapons.

explaining capitalist development solely through technology, in the sense that all social/political development is a product of technological development, is a questionable interpretation of historical materialism. some people have taken that view so i'm not gonna say it's simply dumb and wrong but i don't think it's right, either as an interpretation of marx or as an overarching explanation of what has actually happened

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

:rip: sounds like he was a good as hell comrade

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Finicums Wake posted:

explaining capitalist development solely through technology, in the sense that all social/political development is a product of technological development, is a questionable interpretation of historical materialism. some people have taken that view so i'm not gonna say it's simply dumb and wrong but i don't think it's right, either as an interpretation of marx or as an overarching explanation of what has actually happened

Technological innovations don't overcome the impositions of social structures in themselves. Like, you can't have capitalism just because some guy has a steam powered factory - if the factory has lien on it from an aristocracy.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Technological innovations don't overcome the impositions of social structures in themselves. Like, you can't have capitalism just because some guy has a steam powered factory - if the factory has lien on it from an aristocracy.

yeah, agreed. technological determinist takes on historical materialism seem wrong to me for many reasons, most importantly the fact that they can't account for why the class struggle matters

edit: it's also worth noting that technological innovation is heavily influenced by social structures, so there's a back and forth causal relationship between them

Finicums Wake has issued a correction as of 14:33 on Oct 14, 2019

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Bernstrike posted:

the chapos are in real trouble now they have to choose between the akp grey wolves and the lion Assad. drat dude. sucks when your faves argue

well they want to keep their jobs so let’s not say someone must go

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Bernstrike posted:

Just a reminder that opposing one of them will guarantee your doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
what if the wolves and the lion just gently caress each other?