Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I removed a laugh track from dialog specifically timed to have one and now it sounds weird, wrap it up bazingailures :hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I think it’s real laughter on both shows. People who come to sitcom tapings are usually big fans who are excited to be there. Some of them need to use canned laughter, but Friends and Seinfeld had tons of fans who thought every joke was hilarious.

I still find it awkward though. I wish Seinfeld hadn’t been filmed in front of an audience. It really dates the show, which is too bad, because the writing was excellent.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Now edit in long pauses into comedies that don't have laugh tracks.

Content:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I hope someday this is joined by a plaque that says "Ok he's dead now"

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
If you want Seinfeld without laugh tracks just watch Curb Your Enthusiasm gd people.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Yoshi Wins posted:

I still find it awkward though. I wish Seinfeld hadn’t been filmed in front of an audience. It really dates the show, which is too bad, because the writing was excellent.

Remember When 39-Year-Old Jerry Seinfeld Dated a 17-Year-Old?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Lol, PEOPLE's doing a little creative calculation (also other noteworthy creep David Copperfield on the cover lol)

Also, she's already 44! drat I'm old as hell then.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Oh right. It’s also dated by Jerry being a creepy fucko who also cries about kids these days.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yoshi Wins posted:

Oh right. It’s also dated by Jerry being a creepy fucko who also cries about kids these days.
It's definitely because he doesn't get laid at colleges anymore

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Sienfeld is alright, it's just dated. Jerry Sienfeld is a whiny Boomer who's pissed that it's no long 1994.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RytMJ2-X-rw

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
And has to be close to a billionaire by now. A whiny billionaire.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

LifeSunDeath posted:

Going back and watching Seinfeld after years off, it was jarring to hear the laugh track. I still love the show, and at least it's not Big Bang Theory, goddamn that show is soulless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23M3eKn1FN0

Is that clip from a comedy show?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

quote:

“I am not an idiot,” says the comic. “Shoshanna is a person, not an age. She is extremely bright. She’s funny, sharp, very alert. We just get along. You can hear the click.”

Calling someone 'bright' is so goddamn patronizing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Imagined posted:

And has to be close to a billionaire by now. A whiny billionaire.

Is there another kind?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pookah posted:

Calling someone 'bright' is so goddamn patronizing.

Seinfeld: "She's funny, sharp, very alert."
Cosby: "Eh, two out of three ain't bad."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

By popular demand posted:

Is there another kind?

A dead one.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Yoshi Wins posted:

I think it’s real laughter on both shows. People who come to sitcom tapings are usually big fans who are excited to be there. Some of them need to use canned laughter, but Friends and Seinfeld had tons of fans who thought every joke was hilarious.

All of the modern Friends fans I know basically use it as a white noise machine. Similar to How I Met Your Mother.

The total lack of real conflict and the characters that stay predictably written is very comforting and drama free to people that have anxiety.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Also its a part of trending nostalgia so there is a bit of a gloss added to it as vapid as it may be.

Just like Fuller House or The Connors only they didn’t reboot Friends thank loving god.

All network comedies are bad btw.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

what was this at, it's brutal

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

All network comedies are bad btw.

Parks and Rec, Brooklyn 99, and The Good Place are the exceptions that prove the rule.

space uncle posted:

All of the modern Friends fans I know basically use it as a white noise machine. Similar to How I Met Your Mother.

The total lack of real conflict and the characters that stay predictably written is very comforting and drama free to people that have anxiety.

I don't get this, and I am a very anxious person. What's the point of a story if nothing changes or gets resolved? Why even bother if there are no stakes?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Moon Slayer posted:

I don't get this, and I am a very anxious person. What's the point of a story if nothing changes or gets resolved? Why even bother if there are no stakes?
It's a replacement for having friends and spending time with them

Wait until you find out that since Millennials don't have cable, they've replaced "Reruns of Seinfeld" with "A teenager playing a video game while saying silly things" in their "I need the comfort of having a social life with people who don't know I exist"

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Moon Slayer posted:

Parks and Rec, Brooklyn 99, and The Good Place are the exceptions that prove the rule.

I guess I shouldn’t say nothing changes. Characters hook up and get new jobs and make life decisions, but like you said - the stakes are low. Everyone will always be pretty happy and well off at the end of the show. And if they hit a financial rough spot, well that’s where the rest of the Friends chip in.

Like the other guy said, it’s a similar sense of accomplishment and progress to see Joey get a new recliner as it is to see a 19 year old streamer beat Super Mario 64 Dry Dry Docks in a new and interesting way. Both are about as low stakes as it gets but strangely comforting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It can't be both, military-industrial complex

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Pick 2"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I'll take lethal and survivable

"I'm so sorry sir, but you couldn't afford it, and we've just run out of bread"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
That's just a bad crop. It actually says "unlethal."

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I'd like someone to take a serious drama like Law and Order and edit in some early 90's Arsenio and Married with Children audience reactions.

Please. Anyone.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Clam Chowdown posted:

Non-Lethal

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Clam Chowdown posted:

That, also, was a bad crop. It says "Fun. Lethal. Survivable. Affordable."

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

MrUnderbridge posted:

I'd like someone to take a serious drama like Law and Order and edit in some early 90's Arsenio and Married with Children audience reactions.

Please. Anyone.

{Dets. Briscoe and Green find a body on the floor of an apartment with the victim’s head bashed in}

Det. Green: Looks like he (victim) was in the middle of shaving.

Det. Briscoe: Looks like he missed a spot.

audience: *woof woof woof woof*

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:shepspends:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lovin that username/post combo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lol, PEOPLE's doing a little creative calculation (also other noteworthy creep David Copperfield on the cover lol)

Wait, what did Copperfield do?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Phlegmish posted:

Wait, what did Copperfield do?

He made a lady disappear in 1983.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

MrUnderbridge posted:

Please. Anyone.

There's The Wire with a laugh track if that'll do?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDIi0dzmvpE

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Or how about some Big Bang Theory with even more laughter? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N4AoEywpko

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Claeaus posted:

Or how about some Big Bang Theory with even more laughter? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N4AoEywpko

They should have put this laugh in there
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln9yywA5Cjs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I’m glad there was at least some attempt at publicly shaming him at the time, sheesh.