Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I dunno, I kinda enjoy the 'I think I know what this'll do, but let's, umm, try it somewhere nice and safe' aspect, it feels fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Bad Munki posted:

Can someone give me a rundown of how setting up the effects on wands, uhhhhhhhh, works?
If the wand has the stat "Shuffle: Yes" then your ordering doesn't matter 'cause it'll get randomly shuffled any time the wand recharges anyway. Shuffle wands generally suck.

Otherwise, the wand "reads" from left to right. Say you have Doubleshot->Spark->Spark->Fireball, the first click will shoot both sparks and the second the fireball. Any spell with trigger or timer will count the spell right after it as a part of itself for the purposes of "parsing", so Doubleshot->SparkTrigger->Fireball->SparkTrigger->Fireball will shoot two sparks on click that each summon a fireball on impact. Projectile modifiers like Damage+ will apply to the spell to their right, but if that spell is a multishot then they will apply to every projectile fired by that multishot.

Of course occasionally Weird poo poo happens that I don't understand either, like I had a wand with "Always casts: Doubleshot" and it behaved really strangely, I didn't understand it at all (which, of course, ultimately killed me)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The modding branch for this is actually awesome. They straight up give you the unpacker for all of the game's assets (mostly sprite png files) and source lua code, and make the game override any internal versions with your edited ones, so all you need is npp and a png editor, you dont even need to repack anything to test changes.

For testing i made a chillout exploration mode where every enemy in the game is friendly to the player (but hostile to every other enemy, including themselves) and got it working in like 5 minutes by editing a single textfile. Also tried loving around with the enemy spawner to make a "10x spawns" mod and ended up with nothing ever spawning (except the very final hardcoded boss). Mood's kinda eerie when it's just empty abandoned wastelands.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Afriscipio posted:

Where can I find this?

Edit:
Found it. It was on a Github page:
https://github.com/nuke-makes-games/noita_mods

People are sharing mods in the official discord, there are quite a lot of them now

https://discord.gg/msMqEk

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
something important to understand about wands with trigger/timer spells is that the mana for the entire chain of casts is consumed up-front, and if there isn’t enough mana for the whole chain it will only cast as many as it can before running out. unless the mana cap/recharge on the wand is insanely high you’ll only get a full chain once or twice, after which you’ll only get double or single casts if you hold down the cast button

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I have a really dumb question regarding wands but does it depend on the spell or the wand if it's a "unlimited use, just wait for mana recharge" or "you get 3 of this" one?

I think it depends on the spell, but what happens if you have unlimited and limited spells on one wand and the charges for the limited one runs out? Do the unlimited ones still fire or is the wand completely useless until a recharge?

I really don't know why but it's like solving the most complicated math problem of my life trying to understand how wands and spells work. I genuinely feel like an idiot :(

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If a spell runs out of ammo, the wand continues to work as though that spell wasn't there.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

abraxas posted:

I have a really dumb question regarding wands but does it depend on the spell or the wand if it's a "unlimited use, just wait for mana recharge" or "you get 3 of this" one?

I think it depends on the spell, but what happens if you have unlimited and limited spells on one wand and the charges for the limited one runs out? Do the unlimited ones still fire or is the wand completely useless until a recharge?

I really don't know why but it's like solving the most complicated math problem of my life trying to understand how wands and spells work. I genuinely feel like an idiot :(

It depends on the spell.

Wands have mana that recharges over time. All spells cost mana to cast, which comes out of the wand's infinitely regenerating mana pool, but spells might also have limited ammo. The little number on the spell icon tells you how many uses are remaining on that spell.

Open up your inventory at the start of the game and you'll see that the bomb spell icon on your bomb wand has a little 3 by it, while the spark bolt icons on your pew pew wand have no numbers by them. This tells you your bomb spell has 3 ammo, while your spark bolts have infinite ammo. Ammo is restored by picking up the big green diamonds in Holy Mountain.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Is there a good way to deal with the electric monsters that show up in the ice area? They always seem to stun and 2-shot me, assuming I have enough hp left to survive the first hit. Not getting hit would obviously be ideal but they're fairly aggressive and the area has a ton to dodge already with all the gunners.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

bloom posted:

Is there a good way to deal with the electric monsters that show up in the ice area? They always seem to stun and 2-shot me, assuming I have enough hp left to survive the first hit. Not getting hit would obviously be ideal but they're fairly aggressive and the area has a ton to dodge already with all the gunners.

Get lucky and see them before they see you. And when you see them, go the other way.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Don't take them on in a fair fight, if you can. Take fights where you have something to pop your head up over when you're shooting. They aren't likely to hit you if you're moving perpendicularly to them.

They don't fly, so fighting them from above works well, which happens to also work well for just about everything in the level. Really, the trick for the 3rd level is that you want to have as little unexplored area surrounding you as possible. The safest way to take it is to work your way along the top right until you're at the passage back to the overworld, and then work your way down along the right edge.

They seem to be fairly easy to take out with the rock drone spell, if you happen to have found one.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Bad Munki posted:

Can someone give me a rundown of how setting up the effects on wands, uhhhhhhhh, works? I thought I was starting to get it, but then I go and configure a wand with a few things and it 100% doesn't do what I expect, and I'm kinda baffled. Like I've got a spell that triggers another spell after a timer, and then another of that, and then a splitter that casts two spells, and a couple more of the timers, and in some configurations it makes sense, but in others, it seems like it just stops after the first spell?

Sincerely,
Confounded Under Mines

I'm quoting Terry van Feleday's post because it's the basis for understanding what a wand will do.

Terry van Feleday posted:

If the wand has the stat "Shuffle: Yes" then your ordering doesn't matter 'cause it'll get randomly shuffled any time the wand recharges anyway. Shuffle wands generally suck.

Otherwise, the wand "reads" from left to right. Say you have Doubleshot->Spark->Spark->Fireball, the first click will shoot both sparks and the second the fireball. Any spell with trigger or timer will count the spell right after it as a part of itself for the purposes of "parsing", so Doubleshot->SparkTrigger->Fireball->SparkTrigger->Fireball will shoot two sparks on click that each summon a fireball on impact. Projectile modifiers like Damage+ will apply to the spell to their right, but if that spell is a multishot then they will apply to every projectile fired by that multishot.

Of course occasionally Weird poo poo happens that I don't understand either, like I had a wand with "Always casts: Doubleshot" and it behaved really strangely, I didn't understand it at all (which, of course, ultimately killed me)

There are two types of components that go into wands: Spells and Projectile Modifiers.

Spells can be infinite use or limited casts. Wands will, by default, cast one spell at a time in order from left to right.
- Whenever you equip a wand, the wand starts from the beginning, so if you have a wand with many spells on it, cast a couple, switch to a different wand, and then switch back, it starts over from the beginning.
- A wand that has Shuffle: Yes on it will randomly reorder all the spells on the wand every time the wand recharges. This means that as long as you don't switch wands, the wand will completely cycle through before it randomizes itself for the next cycle.
- - In other words, if you have five different spells on a wand, it will cast all five spells once before it casts any spell a second time.
- Every spell has a mana cost associated with it; even the limited use spells require mana to cast.
- Limited use spells are recharged at the Holy Mountain.
- Trigger and Timer spells will automatically "cast" the next spell when invoked, and can be paired with projectile modifiers to do interesting and useful things that may not otherwise be possible or safe without them.

Projectile Modifiers are usually infinite use, but there are a few (Matter Eater) that have limited casts. Whenever a wand selects a projectile modifier, it puts it on a stack to apply to the next spell being cast. Once a spell is cast*, the stack of projectile modifiers is "cleared" and the modifiers don't apply to any subsequent spells.
- Because wands "read" left to right, to use a projectile modifier it needs to be placed before the spell it applies to.
- - A wand set up with Fire Trail -> Spark Bolt -> Spark Bolt -> Spark Bolt will fire a single spark bolt with a fire trail, then two regular spark bolts, and then repeat.
- Any modifier that casts multiple spells will queue up multiple individual spells. It will not cast the same spell repeatedly: putting Triplecast and a single spark bolt on a wand together will not make a wand that casts three spark bolts.
- Any modifier that casts multiple spells can be stacked. The total number of spells you receive might be less than you think - doublecast + doublecast gets you three spells, not four. Triplecast + doublecast gets you four spells, not five.
- - For example, Doublecast, Triplecast, and Quad cast say they cast the next two, three, and four spells, however when combining them it is better to think of them as adding +1, +2, and +3 spells, respectively. Since you always cast at least one spell as a base, doublecast gives you 1 (+1) spells, for two. But two doublecasts will give you 1 (+1 +1) spells, for a total of three. The other modifiers that cast multiple spells in a formation work similarly in terms of how many spells they allow you to cast.
- When casting multiple spells at once, you can apply projectile modifiers to the entire cast if they are applied before the modifier that lets you cast multiple spells. Burning Trail -> Dual Cast -> (two projectile spells) will apply Burning Trail to both spells.
- Not all projectile modifiers can be stacked together - some modifiers will not work in combination with other modifiers. I don't have a list or anything, I just know what I've observed experimentally.
- When using Trigger/Timer spells, any modifiers applied to the triggering spell will not also apply to the subsequent triggered spell(s) - it's considered a new "cast", so you can't use stretch a single modifier across a chain of trigger/timer spells the way you can stretch a single modifier across multiple spells using multicast modifiers. You can apply separate projectile modifiers to the subsequent triggered spell normally, however.

Triggers (and Timers)

Some spells have versions which have "with Timer" or "with Trigger". These work kind of like modifiers in that when a particular event happens, a designated spell is cast using the triggered spell's location/orientation as the source instead of the caster. The entire mana cost is paid up front; if your wand can't support the entire sequence of spells, it will cast as many spells as it can afford.
Timers will invoke their designated spell(s) on a timer or when their projectile collides with an obstacle - shorter range spells that disappear without collision will invoke their trigger when they disappear.
Triggers will invoke their designated spell(s) only when their projectile collides with an obstacle. Some shorter range spells can disappear if they don't collide with a wall or an enemy, in which case the triggered spells are not invoked.
- Triggered spells work as a completely separate cast from the originating spellcast that invoked them - if the triggering spell has a modifier, the modifier does not apply to the invoked spell. The invoked spell can have its own modifiers, however, including modifiers like dualcast or formations to invoke multiple spells off of a single triggering spell. You can "fork" wand effects as much as you want, subject to the limitations of the wand's capacity and available mana.

I'm gonna repeat an earlier post because it has good example of "forking" wand effects that I think should help.
--
I'll use the main workhorse from my last run as an example. This is how the spells are laid out on the wand:

Dualcast -> Spark Bolt (/w Trigger) -> Dualcast -> Explosion of Sulfur -> Explosion of Sulfur -> Spark Bolt (/w Trigger) -> Dualcast -> Explosion of Sulfur -> Explosion of Sulfur

And this is how the spells are parsed:

code:
                                                Explosion of Sulfur
           Spark Bolt (/w Trigger) -> Dualcast <
          /                                     Explosion of Sulfur
 - Dualcast 
          \                                     Explosion of Sulfur
           Spark Bolt (/w Trigger) -> Dualcast <
                                                Explosion of Sulfur
A single shot fires out two spark bolts that each individually detonate a pair of Explosions of Sulfur when they impact an obstacle or creature.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

SlightlyMad, could you please edit the above excellent post into the OP? It would really help with general clutter and answer most of the questions asked in this thread.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

BaconCopter posted:

SlightlyMad, could you please edit the above excellent post into the OP? It would really help with general clutter and answer most of the questions asked in this thread.

I keep trying to figure out a simplified way of explaining how wands work, and I'm never super happy with the clarity level of my explanations. Maybe someone else can take a better crack at it, because I feel like I need to use too many words to get the point across.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

It's wordy, sure, but the wand and spellcrafting mechanics are freakin' complicated! I'm not sure anyone could capture the nuances without a decently sized wall of text.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

RoadCrewWorker posted:

For testing i made a chillout exploration mode where every enemy in the game is friendly to the player (but hostile to every other enemy, including themselves) and got it working in like 5 minutes by editing a single textfile. Also tried loving around with the enemy spawner to make a "10x spawns" mod and ended up with nothing ever spawning (except the very final hardcoded boss). Mood's kinda eerie when it's just empty abandoned wastelands.

Out of curiosity, which file were you editing that involves enemy spawns? I have some ideas...

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

BaconCopter posted:

It's wordy, sure, but the wand and spellcrafting mechanics are freakin' complicated! I'm not sure anyone could capture the nuances without a decently sized wall of text.

wand can do make explosion

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

BaconCopter posted:

How about we try communicating it in the gooniest way possible: programming!
code:
Dualcast{
	Spark Bolt w/Trigger{
		Dualcast{
			Explosion of sulfur
			Explosion of sulfur
		}
	}
	Spark Bolt w/Trigger{
		Dualcast{
			Explosion of sulfur
			Explosion of sulfur
		}
	}
}
Could also try to explain it step by step: first we have a Dualcast, which looks at the next two slots:
code:
[Dualcast][ ] [ ]
Then, we also have the Spark Bolt w/Trigger, which looks at the next slot
code:
[Spark Bolt w/T] { }
So when we plug in two of those into the dualcast, it looks like:
code:
[Dualcast] [Spark Bolt w/T] { } [Spark Bolt w/T] { }
So then when we plug in more dualcasts:
code:
[Dualcast] [Spark Bolt w/T] {Dualcast}( ) ( ) [Spark Bolt w/T] {Dualcast} ( ) ( )
And then the final:
code:
[Dualcast] [Spark Bolt w/T] {Dualcast}(Explosion of sulfur) (Explosion of sulfur) [Spark Bolt w/T] {Dualcast}(Explosion of sulfur) (Explosion of sulfur)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Olesh posted:

I keep trying to figure out a simplified way of explaining how wands work, and I'm never super happy with the clarity level of my explanations. Maybe someone else can take a better crack at it, because I feel like I need to use too many words to get the point across.

It might help in your example to number the spells:

quote:

I'll use the main workhorse from my last run as an example. This is how the spells are laid out on the wand:

Dualcast (1) -> Spark Bolt /w Trigger (2) -> Dualcast (3) -> Explosion of Sulfur (4) -> Explosion of Sulfur (5) -> Spark Bolt /w Trigger (6) -> Dualcast (7) -> Explosion of Sulfur (8) -> Explosion of Sulfur (9)

And this is how the spells are parsed:

code:
                                                      Explosion of Sulfur (4)
           Spark Bolt /w Trigger (2) -> Dualcast (3) <
          /                                           Explosion of Sulfur (5)
 - Dualcast (1)
          \                                           Explosion of Sulfur (8)
           Spark Bolt /w Trigger (6) -> Dualcast (7) <
                                                      Explosion of Sulfur (9)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Quick cliff notes version:

Your spells can be divided into cast spells (eg spark bolt, bomb, nuke) that create objects in the world, and modifiers (eg fire trail, dualcast) that affect other spells.

Your wand reads the spells you put in from left to right.
If it reads a modifier, it will apply the modifier to the next spell.
If that spell is a modifier it will apply both the next spell, and so on until it hits a cast spell.
If the modifier is one that multi-casts, it will look ahead to get the next two/three/however many cast spells that the modifier requires.
If the cast spell has a trigger or timer, it will cast the next spell without any of the modifiers that the first spell had.

When you reach the end of the spell list, the wand needs time to recharge (how much time is a wand stat).
If your wand is a Shuffle wand, it jumbles up all your spells each time it recharges. This is not a good thing but is usually balanced by the wand having stronger stats.
Each spell takes mana; a bundle of modifiers and spells add all their mana requirements. If your wand doesn't have enough mana, it will skip to the next spell it can cast.
Your wand's cast delay limits how fast you can cast your spells if they are not restricted by recharges or mana.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Don't remember if this was posted already, but this is neat:

https://twitter.com/NollaGames/status/1106908978636881921

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Okay probably dumb question here, but how do I enable/install mods with a offline GOG version of Noita?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Viscous Soda posted:

Okay probably dumb question here, but how do I enable/install mods with a offline GOG version of Noita?

You can't. Get a refund for the GOG version and switch to Steam, there's no beta branch access on GOG and the updates lag severely behind the steam version. Speaking from personal experience. GOG seems to be completely woeful for early-access games.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ahhhhh, thanks for the wand primer. That helps a ton. I think it’s the dual cast type stuff that wasn’t behaving as expected, maybe coupled with the upfront mana cost.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In addition there's some permanent effects, like torch, shield etc which are always active when you have the wand out. For those it doesnt matter where the spell goes for the active effect but it might have weird interactions with spell chains.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Making an entrance

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tenebrais posted:

Quick cliff notes version:

Your spells can be divided into cast spells (eg spark bolt, bomb, nuke) that create objects in the world, and modifiers (eg fire trail, dualcast) that affect other spells.

Your wand reads the spells you put in from left to right.
If it reads a modifier, it will apply the modifier to the next spell.
If that spell is a modifier it will apply both the next spell, and so on until it hits a cast spell.
If the modifier is one that multi-casts, it will look ahead to get the next two/three/however many cast spells that the modifier requires.
If the cast spell has a trigger or timer, it will cast the next spell without any of the modifiers that the first spell had.

When you reach the end of the spell list, the wand needs time to recharge (how much time is a wand stat).
If your wand is a Shuffle wand, it jumbles up all your spells each time it recharges. This is not a good thing but is usually balanced by the wand having stronger stats.
Each spell takes mana; a bundle of modifiers and spells add all their mana requirements. If your wand doesn't have enough mana, it will skip to the next spell it can cast.
Your wand's cast delay limits how fast you can cast your spells if they are not restricted by recharges or mana.

This is good and clear, if the op can put it in that would be great if I could ask a games mod?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I just had to go for all that gold, forgetting that while immune to electrical shock... my 5-lighting bolt godhammer's direct hits are not shocks...

https://i.imgur.com/YBoG0h0.mp4

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I just had to go for all that gold, forgetting that while immune to electrical shock... my 5-lighting bolt godhammer's direct hits are not shocks...

https://i.imgur.com/YBoG0h0.mp4

lightning immunity has become the perk I try not to pick unless it's literally the only perk I could use.

I have killed myself so much touching half buried barrels or igniting hallways in the base level since the robots/turrents I killed bleed oil.

Plus walking by any powder or potion liquid that can be set on fire.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

EVIL Gibson posted:

lightning immunity has become the perk I try not to pick unless it's literally the only perk I could use.

I have killed myself so much touching half buried barrels or igniting hallways in the base level since the robots/turrents I killed bleed oil.

Plus walking by any powder or potion liquid that can be set on fire.

Electricity and electricity immune are different perks, the former makes you a walking thunderstone and immune, latter just immune

and electricity kills me in the base every time I get it too

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my compulsion to shoot every freezing canister improves my life expectancy with electricity perk by roughly 10x

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I just had lightning immunity and explosion immunity in the base along with the lightning bolt spell and those loving canisters STILL killed me with the freezing gas! If you're right on top of them when they blow up it drains your health FAST compared to when the gas is just disappitated in the air . I had a good digging wand too; really thought that was a sure win

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

IronicDongz posted:

my compulsion to shoot every freezing canister improves my life expectancy with electricity perk by roughly 10x

I often bomb something while in water :saddowns:

or miss canisters buried half in snow

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey, yeah, sure thing, lemme just

crawl on in there

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In the mines, the enemies fighting each other in an alchemists shop created Midas' formula all on their own.

if only I'd lived.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bad Munki posted:

Hey, yeah, sure thing, lemme just

crawl on in there

There's multiple portals on each floor, they're spread across the bottom of the level. Never been unlucky enough to have each one inaccessible but I guess it could happen

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol you definitely cannot dive on in like that through lava like you could with say, poison snot or burning oil

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://i.imgur.com/ppGhdNo.mp4

i found the tech mens stash of explosives.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Finally figured out how to adjust spawn controls. Just need to severely lower infighting, and add more spawn points to the wang files and poo poo's gonna get busy :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

goferchan posted:

There's multiple portals on each floor, they're spread across the bottom of the level. Never been unlucky enough to have each one inaccessible but I guess it could happen

Yeah, I just thought it was goofy. Level started and that dude undoubtedly started hucking lava, intent on making his jacuzzi in time for my arrival.

Clark Nova posted:

lol you definitely cannot dive on in like that through lava like you could with say, poison snot or burning oil

In my defense, I didn't, I actually died on the ledge up. It was just such a lovely vista to die on, I apparently couldn't help myself.