Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

The Butcher posted:

No line at all advance voting in Vancouver East yesterday afternoon. In and out in 2 mins.

I'm betting we see crazy low turnout for this one, maybe even record.

Everything about this election is just so meh and uninspiring.

I think it's going to be pretty hard for a lot of people to give a gently caress.

Actually...

https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/1183590093275172865?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Jagmentum update: going strong

:getin:

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Turnout at early Campus polls was apparently really high

https://election.ctvnews.ca/turnout-at-early-on-campus-polls-significantly-up-from-2015-1.4634584

quote:

OTTAWA – The turnout at advance on-campus polling places across Canada was considerably up from 2015.

As part of the Vote on Campus initiative from Elections Canada that ran from Oct. 5 to Oct. 9, 111,300 electors took part.

On the final day of the program nearly as many people voted as did in the entirety of the initiative in 2015.

According to Elections Canada the total turnout as of Oct. 8 was 45,000 and then by Oct. 9 another 66,300 electors had voted.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Huh, JT is out there saying today that he's working to elect "a progressive government".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The only interesting thing about the current Canadian FPTP system is that sometimes small swings in popular vote can cause disproportionate swings in the final seat count. A good turnout pushes things in favour of the NDP. A good turnout on the younger end of the electorate pushes things in favour of the NDP. Jagmeet is doing well on pretty much every front. The Liberals are running scared. The conservatives are retreating to their base of pipelines and xenophobia.

I say that we all get our hopes up over the next week. We'll be disappointed whether or not we get our hopes up, but won't it be nice for once in this lifetime to get our hopes up and have it pay out?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Frank Graves, the president of EKOS research, tweeted this little tease:

https://twitter.com/VoiceOfFranky/status/1183531082999894016

quote:

Although this seems odd , it seems that the NDP rise in Ontario has come at the expense of the CPC . The LPC are well ahead and the CPC are now barely ahead of the NDP

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Huh, JT is out there saying today that he's working to elect "a progressive government".

Wow, that’s nice of him. Are there any running though?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

Apparently Trudeau had to wear a bulletproof vest at an event last night because of death threats.

I've always felt like, if you have enough people calling for your death, you're probably doing something wrong

Wendell
May 11, 2003

xtal posted:

I've always felt like, if you have enough people calling for your death, you're probably doing something wrong

Absolutely not.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Wendell posted:

Absolutely not.

Especially in the recent context of Soufi's, the "probably" in my post is doing some heavy lifting

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya there's a laundry list of people who were on a lot of people's hit lists who were on the right side of history.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah I somehow doubt the people threatening to shoot Trudeau are the ones upset because his policies aren't progressive enough...

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's in Piketty's new book. Undereducated working-class voters migrated towards populist conservatives because of brahmin liberals. It's only natural for them to switch back to an NDP that is gravitating further left with policies that would help the working class.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

xtal posted:

I think the opposite is true. If you don't piss someone off, then what the gently caress are you doing with your life?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

incontinence 100 posted:

It's in Piketty's new book. Undereducated working-class voters migrated towards populist conservatives because of brahmin liberals. It's only natural for them to switch back to an NDP that is gravitating further left with policies that would help the working class.

Holy poo poo you mean the working class not matching in lockstep with the liberal elite might be because the liberal elite have all but abandoned the working class and not because the working class are all troglodyte untermensch?

No loving poo poo.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilJoven posted:

Holy poo poo you mean the working class not matching in lockstep with the liberal elite might be because the liberal elite have all but abandoned the working class and not because the working class are all troglodyte untermensch?

No loving poo poo.

I'm agreeing with you dumb rear end.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Third-way liberals, whatever party they were in at the time, redefined "worker" to mean only professional white-collar workers and then were absolutely shocked when that meant blue-collar workers stopped voting for them.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

incontinence 100 posted:

I'm agreeing with you dumb rear end.

I know, I'm just circling in red and highlighting how stupid it was of some leftist circles including this thread to insist that it was the latter for so many years.

I'm really glad to see that part of leftist discourse start to go by the wayside, it might actually make it possible for the left to gain some sort of momentum in the 21st century.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Noted Guy Doing Something Wrong, Martin Luther King Jr.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Headed to the polls to vote liberal in a few minutes. Wish me luck!

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

EngineerJoe posted:

I hope you get lost and never make it

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

I’m gonna head out and vote NDP in a couple of hours. Good luck to us both!!!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Pinterest Mom posted:

The challenge with a minority government is that it’s more like a turducken than a turkey. You think you’re getting a Liberal government, but you end up with Andrew Scheer and the Bloc Québecois.

If you want a progressive government that will invest in the middle class, fight the climate crisis, and stand up to Conservative politicians like Doug Ford, vote Liberal.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Postess with the Mostest posted:

If you want a progressive government that will invest in the middle class.

Hard pass, people who think they're in a class above working class need to have their wealth redistributed.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

Third-way liberals, whatever party they were in at the time, redefined "worker" to mean only professional white-collar workers and then were absolutely shocked when that meant blue-collar workers stopped voting for them.

"What are they gonna do? Vote conservative?" [Proceeds to stare dumb-founded as workers either stop voting or vote conservative.]

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Servetus posted:

Frank Graves, the president of EKOS research, tweeted this little tease:

https://twitter.com/VoiceOfFranky/status/1183531082999894016

This is literally the best

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Tax the rich to help the poor." - the surprisingly effective platform that shocked the world of left wing politics in 2019!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
https://twitter.com/theJagmeetSingh/status/1183756574210158592

......Stop trying to steal my heart Jagmeet!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

"Tax the rich to help the poor." - the surprisingly effective platform that shocked the world of left wing politics in 2019!

There are literally 2 generations (boomers and x'ers) that have been taught throughout their whole lives that taxing the rich is bad and poor people are better off without help because they will bootstrap themselves into the middle class.

I would be a liar if I didnt say it has caught me off guard that it has made not only a come back but has started getting quite a lot of support out of those 2 generations despite their programming. :v:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EvilJoven posted:

That sounds like wealth redistribution. What, are you some kinda loving commie?

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

If you want a progressive government that will invest in the middle class, fight the climate crisis, and stand up to Conservative politicians like Doug Ford, vote Liberal.

lmao

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

DynamicSloth posted:

Hard pass, people who think they're in a class above working class need to have their wealth redistributed.

We’re here for you, and everyone at the dinner table! Aunt Audrey who’s turning 75 this year? We’re going to boost her OAS payments and make prescription drugs more affordable. Your cousin Joey who just started college? We’re going to increase the student grants he relies on, and he won’t need to start paying back his student loan until he makes at least $35,000 a year.

While the Conservatives keep talking about tax breaks for the wealthiest, we’re going to save families $1,000 a year with lower cell phone bills, create 250,000 new before and after-school child care spaces, and boost the Canada Child Benefit to cover the high costs of the first year of a baby’s life. For kids, for students, for families, for seniors…. We’re putting something on the table for everyone important in your life.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

vyelkin posted:

Jagmentum update: going strong

:getin:

Jagmeetmentum*

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

We’re here for you, and everyone at the dinner table! Aunt Audrey who’s turning 75 this year? We’re going to boost her OAS payments and make prescription drugs more affordable. Your cousin Joey who just started college? We’re going to increase the student grants he relies on, and he won’t need to start paying back his student loan until he makes at least $35,000 a year.

While the Conservatives keep talking about tax breaks for the wealthiest, we’re going to save families $1,000 a year with lower cell phone bills, create 250,000 new before and after-school child care spaces, and boost the Canada Child Benefit to cover the high costs of the first year of a baby’s life. For kids, for students, for families, for seniors…. We’re putting something on the table for everyone important in your life.

I just puked in my mouth a little what do you got for me?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Otoh Jagmeet gonna make grammys pills free and little Joeys parents are Brahmin Left who want just enough taxes to pay for operas and universities and can sell their cottage to let their lovely kid fart about at Queens for half a decade before getting a job at daddys firm so gently caress the libs vote NDP.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I’ve voted. First time voting in a Federal election.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I just puked in my mouth a little what do you got for me?

We stood up to Donald Trump on trade when the Conservatives wanted Canada to back down, and we got a good deal for Canadian workers and our middle class. The Conservatives told us we should take any deal we could get, but giving up is not a negotiating strategy.

As for Mr. Scheer, we hear he might be celebrating Thanksgiving in November this year? *shrug *American

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

We stood up to Donald Trump on trade when the Conservatives wanted Canada to back down, and we got a good deal for Canadian workers and our middle class. The Conservatives told us we should take any deal we could get, but giving up is not a negotiating strategy.

As for Mr. Scheer, we hear he might be celebrating Thanksgiving in November this year? *shrug *American

So I just spit it into a hankee then?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

littleorv posted:

I’ve voted. First time voting in a Federal election.

Hell yes! Feels good, doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I certainly can't imagine waiting in line to vote, but sure, if it takes two minutes in the door to out again, it feels alright.