Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

SKULL.GIF posted:

A bunch of people who disagree with Nazi bullshit delete Facebook --> Facebook's customer base becomes even more skewed towards people who like Nazi bullshit --> Facebook decides they have to stop propping up Nazi bullshit?

Like I'm not a Zuck fan and I don't use Facebook, but I don't think this strategy will really have the impact on Facebook some people are hoping for.
Kinda makes me wonder if the reason Facebook is tacking hard fash is because they realize that's the only audience they have left. Everyone else is deleting their account.

(This isn't to suggest it's somehow the fault of the people leaving Facebook, of course. Zuck is just a shithead.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

A bunch of people who disagree with Nazi bullshit delete Facebook --> Facebook's customer base becomes even more skewed towards people who like Nazi bullshit --> Facebook decides they have to stop propping up Nazi bullshit?

Like I'm not a Zuck fan and I don't use Facebook, but I don't think this strategy will really have the impact on Facebook some people are hoping for.

At this point it’s less about harming Facebook and more about reducing harm to yourself.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

The Super-Id posted:

Honestly it was really more of a quo pro quid and like there aren’t even any laws about that you know? So like no biggie
Look it's only the bad kind of QPQ if trump himself got an actual, physical object. Now I'd be the FIRST person to want to impeach trump if, say, they had physically handed him an actual case of real, American, money. Or, like a diamond. But "dirt on your political enemies"? I mean what even is "dirt on your political enemies"? Can you hold dirt on your political enemies? Can you hear the lonely call of dirt on your political enemies? Can you dance with dirt on your political enemies? Can you make love to dirt on your political enemies? So who's to say dirt on your political enemies even exists?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is such a stupid take that keeps getting repeated, but sure I'll bite.

A bunch of people disagree with Nazi bullshit and delete Facebook -> Facebook's customer base SHRINKS -> Facebook reports a drop in active users -> Investors FREAK the gently caress out and demand Zuckerburg Keep The Money Coming -> Zuckerburg hurriedly tries to plug the leaks, backpedals on the damage done -> Meanwhile everyone left using Facebook realizes, hey where did cousin Joe go? I loved sharing those racist memes with him... hrm well maybe I'll come back to Facebook later, it's pretty boring right now -> Another quarter reports a drop in active users, investors are loving PISSED at Zuckerburg -> The Facebook board votes to strip Zuck of his 51% of voting rights, Zuck steps down to take a 'reduced role' at Facebook and start writing his memoir, a movie with Brad Pitt starring Zuck is in the works -> Facebook has massive layoffs as they realize they can't sustain growth anymore -> Facebook loving DIES

Like seriously, do you believe SO MUCH that Nazis MUST EXIST that you have to vehemently defend them here and poo poo on _any idea_ of stopping them? Look at yourself... more importantly think of everyone looking at you right now. You look like an idiot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Kinda makes me wonder if the reason Facebook is tacking hard fash is because they realize that's the only audience they have left. Everyone else is deleting their account.

(This isn't to suggest it's somehow the fault of the people leaving Facebook, of course. Zuck is just a shithead.)

Also the left is tacking towards trust-busting their monopoly

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

"Non-corrupt quid pro quo" is just the kind of catchy phrase that's sure to energize the Republican voters

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)
The really answer is gently caress with Facebook's data.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

InsertPotPun posted:

Look it's only the bad kind of QPQ if trump himself got an actual, physical object. Now I'd be the FIRST person to want to impeach trump if, say, they had physically handed him an actual case of real, American, money. Or, like a diamond. But "dirt on your political enemies"? I mean what even is "dirt on your political enemies"? Can you hold dirt on your political enemies? Can you hear the lonely call of dirt on your political enemies? Can you dance with dirt on your political enemies? Can you make love to dirt on your political enemies? So who's to say dirt on your political enemies even exists?

this is literally the justification the DOJ is using

"there's no way to evaluate the value of political information" ergo "it has no value" ergo "there is nothing to investigate"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:tif:

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1183780957066842119

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

To be fair you have to say that, it's his day.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

It doesn't surprise me. There were tensions around that base going back to the coup attempt.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Local politics is a social club for old people too insufferable to be invited to anything else. Nothing ever gets done, because it's just 100% catty septuagenarian townies replaying high school popularity games over and over until they die, or accidentally get replaced by a bowtie-wearing Young Republican because everyone forgot to vote.

This is true. Illinois starts legalized marijuana in January and all these towns are having meetings to opt in or opt out. Everyone in my town is all “weed is bad!!!!” and ignore all the benefits (taxes, less illegal drugs, etc) while at the same time being A-OK for alcohol and gambling. People are worried of people driving high even though people are already doing it, with the addition of drunk drivers.

They are also staunchly against putting in bike lanes, MUPs, and do nothing to help bring in better businesses. We have a Walmart but no one wants them, but also making sure other businesses don’t come in.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1183791637408944128

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1183605033553842177

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/1183448563784847366

https://twitter.com/ChrisCaesar/status/1183554852774961152

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mod sassinator posted:

Like seriously, do you believe SO MUCH that Nazis MUST EXIST that you have to vehemently defend them here and poo poo on _any idea_ of stopping them? Look at yourself... more importantly think of everyone looking at you right now. You look like an idiot.

... what?

Kale
May 14, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

These loving tech bros are going to destroy the nation. They're giving racists and Nazis a platform and even worse legitimizing their voices. We're going to be having 'fair & balanced' right wing Nazi talking points shoved in our face every time we go to facebook.com and apps.

Privileged people reading this thread right now: Delete your loving Facebook (and all other social media).

People willing signing themselves over to certain things just cause they gain enough momentum on social media isn't really helping things either. That's by far what scares me the most about all this is the whole "viral media" thing and how quickly people just bandwagon onto whatever the gently caress more and more cause it. People seem willing to just do or sign on to anything or any movement that's trendy on social media even when it's obviously bad for them or doesn't entirely serve a coherent purpose. Things like the Tide Pod challenge or Hot Coil challenge come to mind. I think when you reach that point of "well I'm going to brand myself like a loving cattle cause twitter says I should" there's also a conscious choice at play.

As far back as Kony 2012 I don't think a lot of people really gave a gently caress about the human rights aspect of things, they were just following the trend as it went viral. I only even remember that was supposed to be a thing cause John Oliver brought it up in his usual scathing way during a segment where he was mentioning something awful that happened in 2012 before mentioning that it went under the radar cause everyone was obsessed with Joseph Kony at the time and mockingly said "I wonder if they ever got that Kony guy, I guess they did because you don't really hear it anymore, but it seemed so important at the time didn't it? :D"

As I recall that guy that everyone thought was super charismatic and just the greatest human rights leader of our time ended up running stark naked through a street on drugs rambling about god knows what and nobody has heard anything about him since, but he had people in the palm of his loving hands in 2012.

This shits even coming up in Persona 5 as I'm just now getting to it's final arc. A video game from Japan with anime characters and tropes like a talking cat legitimately has more incisiveness commentary and dialogue on the shortcomings of social media and the "viral" phenomenon on politics and public opinion than our own mainstream media is willing to give us.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 14, 2019

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

You're literally arguing that we shouldn't remove ourselves from the platform that harbors and foments Nazis because it will just concentrate the Nazis into some pure strain of evil. It's silly nonsense and you're actively muddying the waters and confusing people. The Nazis already have plenty of places to concentrate themselves, they're trying to take over and use the popular platforms now too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dammerung posted:

Rep. Crenshaw's given up on being the face of cool conservativism? He will be missed, I am sure.

He was the one I had an eye out for. Good thing he's given up on that role.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Tatsuta Age posted:

nobody itt is pining for the fairness doctrine you putz

Somebody made noise about it in the last 4-5 days.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean? This is drivel. Is this because Chris Hitchens said dumb poo poo about Islam, and clearly Chris Hitchens was the drat pope of atheists dontchaknow? You’re an idiot.

I’m sure as poo poo not arguing in favor of neoliberalism, nor the idea (to quote John Roderick) that our interventionism in the Middle East was going to “turn Afghanistan into a Massachusetts”.

I’m thinking right here at home (and apparently in this thread). Atheists in 2019 still can’t say “I’m an atheist” in many liberal spaces without immediately hitching themselves to the baggage of intolerance, or making everybody uncomfortable, and that has hurt the progressive cause in very huge, very clear ways— like every “religious freedom” bill that comes up and does nothing but massively harm kids, queers, and women. I want less “religious freedom” in my country and a lot more “freedom from religion.”

If that somehow makes me like Kamala (:psyduck:) then lemme get my JD and start locking people up.

Edit: oh wait, I just realized you were comparing me to “race realist” Sam Harris. gently caress you.

I think the point that was being made here is that the mainstream of mid-00s movement atheism had an extremely limited worldview that assumed that you could develop a coherent political/moral framework based on empirical evidence. They tended to believe that once you stripped away superstition from public life, reactionary politics would evaporate with it. Those thinkers didn't base their worldview on egalitarian principles, and seemed suspicious of those who did.

Now that fascism is ascendant again, many young internet fascists use the same basic language as mid-00s atheists about facts trumping feelings, pretending to be enlightenment liberals, etc etc. At the same time, almost every leader of New Atheism today spends almost all their attention panicking about scolding moral relativists to their left. Plenty of them openly side with white nationalists and believe that Christianity is less of a threat than Muslim immigrants.

The entire movement showed its rear end because its moral framework was always bunk and they always lacked the capacity for self reflection.

Edit: In short, people on the left were always better off without those crypto fascists on their side and would probably find better allies among progressive religious movements than New Atheists.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 14, 2019

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Its because Trump is pumping $1.6mil a week into ads, or whatever the number is. Their other customers are bootleg copyright infringement t-shirt companies from China and bands on tour.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lemming posted:

People who have been in charge for 50 years don't like anyone showing up to criticize them in any way

I'm sure Alabama has its own hosed up reasons for fighting it. But the diversity rules are actually kinda super lovely and in many cases largely geared towards propping up the establishment in local parties by giving them a bulwark of unelected hand picked entirely unrepresentative minorities to stave off the reform minded.

I don't know if the national rules require it or if that's just how the states in my area like to implement it but it still sucks and the pretty explicit goal is undermining any sort of genuine party democracy.

God I hate my state party.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I think the point that was being made here is that the mainstream of mid-00s movement atheism had an extremely limited worldview that assumed that you could develop a coherent political/moral framework based on empirical evidence. They tended to believe that once you stripped away superstition from public life, reactionary politics would evaporate with it. Those thinkers didn't base their worldview on egalitarian principles, and seemed suspicious of those who did.

Now that fascism is ascendant again, many young internet fascists use the same basic language as mid-00s atheists about facts trumping feelings, pretending to be enlightenment liberals, etc etc. At the same time, almost every leader of New Atheism today spends almost all their attention panicking about scolding moral relativists to their left. Plenty of them openly side with white nationalists and believe that Christianity is less of a threat than Muslim immigrants.

The entire movement showed its rear end because its moral framework was always bunk and they always lacked the capacity for self reflection.

Edit: In short, people on the left were always better off without those crypto fascists on their side and would probably find better allies among progressive religious movements than New Atheists.

It's certainly possible for atheists to be moral, but I have yet to meet anyone whose core identity was "atheist" to not be kind of a shithead.

And those are the people most likely to show up at the meetings.

rko
Jul 12, 2017
https://twitter.com/outmagazine/status/1183780755094175744?s=21

Please go away Hillary, jesus loving christ.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
evergreen tweets

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1183803033601355782

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1183790686178627587?s=20

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

It's certainly possible for atheists to be moral, but I have yet to meet anyone whose core identity was "atheist" to not be kind of a shithead.

This is ironic because you sound like a bit of a oval office.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

HootTheOwl posted:

He was the one I had an eye out for. Good thing he's given up on that role.

I'm sorry, I can completely understand not liking him due to his policies, his reticence to act, his refusal to acknowledge his history as the moderator of an alt-right/Nazi group (admittedly I can't remember exactly which one it was). I really don't think we should be mocking him based on his injury. That really just isn't something that I'm comfortable with, because having only one working eye doesn't mean that you're fascist adjacent or anything like that. I apologize, because I don't mean to be singling you out like this, it's just something I've noticed was strangely prevalent whenever he came up.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Dammerung posted:

I'm sorry, I can completely understand not liking him due to his policies, his reticence to act, his refusal to acknowledge his history as the moderator of an alt-right/Nazi group (admittedly I can't remember exactly which one it was). I really don't think we should be mocking him based on his injury. That really just isn't something that I'm comfortable with, because having only one working eye doesn't mean that you're fascist adjacent or anything like that. I apologize, because I don't mean to be singling you out like this, it's just something I've noticed was strangely prevalent whenever he came up.

It no different than people attacking Lindsay Graham for being supposedly gay. it's gross and the people doing it are telling on themselves.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mod sassinator posted:

You're literally arguing that we shouldn't remove ourselves from the platform that harbors and foments Nazis because it will just concentrate the Nazis into some pure strain of evil. It's silly nonsense and you're actively muddying the waters and confusing people. The Nazis already have plenty of places to concentrate themselves, they're trying to take over and use the popular platforms now too.

There are multiple problems with your grand strategy, not least that it relies on multiple things going perfectly in the way you expect over the course of months. You're also neglecting the mushy middle of people who aren't woke enough to abandon Facebook but aren't Nazi yet. They would be even more inundated by Nazi memes without any pushback and a good chunk of them would be converted over time.

Kale
May 14, 2010

A couple of other thoughts I've sort of been mulling this week with regard to social media and Trump is that the way current trends are with twitter and how stories that paint him in a bad light or meme around impeaching him are what we're seeing trending more nowadays....if it holds up until election day which with impeachment inquiry and shitshows like the Syria situation it just might....I think that's why he's absolutely rear end hosed and it's gonna be a blowout for the Democratic candidate. The DNC just has to nominate a person that they can meme a little, isn't a raging rear end in a top hat, and whom can harness social media trends to any degree and he's just turbofucked beyond measure IMO. You can see him scrambling around right now trying to find a way to recapture the sort of twitter momentum that led to his original nomination and election, but I'm just not seeing it happening the same way and he's just all over the place with only his base responding anymore.

The way I see it Trump's campaign in 2016 fully demonstrated the sheer terrifying power of trending and building momentum on social media. You can completely overpower all other forms of traditional campaigning and common sense this way to at the very least take the electoral college. The sheer number of celebrities (and not low profile ones either) coming out against him and in favor of Clinton, her SuperPAC vastly out fundraising his, the intellectual weigh ins by career social studies profs and politicians as to why his presidency would be a total poo poo show, her winning all the debates, his constant shitlord behavior.....all the traditional things that used to be harbingers for a successful influence campaign.....it just didn't loving measure up one iota to his sheer viral momentum on social media in the voting public's eyes.

There was even an episode of Black Mirror which illustrated how people almost voted a literal meme cartoon character into office just because it went viral after a practical joke and all in spite of the eventual renunciation of it's own creator. What the literal originator of the viral meme had to say no longer mattered, it'd already gone beyond him and taken on a life of it's own with the people that signed onto it and wanted to believe. Trump's no different IMO. there's no special power or charisma at play with him, just impeccable timing and a willingness and enough money and connections to exploit his viral moment from 2015 when people treated him as a joke and meme and all the media was all loving over him coverage wise.

Of course even if Trump's momentum is now toast and he loses in 2020 this doesn't mean it all isn't up for the taking again for some dictatorial wannabe if we don't find a way as a society to get a loving grip on our social media addiction and rediscover independent thought and critical thinking and that trending on social media isn't the be all end all, because the next time a populist shows up and manages to go viral and harness the momentum up until election day, they're getting in under those conditions sorry.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 14, 2019

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I think a core of our problem as a nation is that people aren't able to come together on important issues they agree on due to religion.

My belief is that most Republicans don't really give a gently caress about gay marriage, abortion, gun control, etc, but use those issues as a wedge to divide the citizenry, and to keep their base from noticing that they are being robbed blind and marginalized in every way.

I have lost count of the number of trashy relatives I have who vote for politicians that consider them subhuman and want to take away their welfare and Medicaid because "Jesus".

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

SKULL.GIF posted:

There are multiple problems with your grand strategy, not least that it relies on multiple things going perfectly in the way you expect over the course of months. You're also neglecting the mushy middle of people who aren't woke enough to abandon Facebook but aren't Nazi yet. They would be even more inundated by Nazi memes without any pushback and a good chunk of them would be converted over time.

Facebook is a platform that is more than happy to host a ton of right-wing propaganda as it is. People leaving it isn't suddenly going to make it more effective at radicalizing people.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it is foolish to think that deleting your facebook account will move the needle in any appreciable way towards facebook's necessary demise

instead it is imperative to delete your facebook because it is a dogshit platform full of woe, used only to spy on you

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The core of our problem as a nation is that the FBI made kidnapping rich people and mailing their fingers home unprofitable.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Fort Worth having a presser right now and I'm surprised at how far they're throwing the officer under the bus who shot the lady in her home. Even the police chief named him and said he faced criminal charges.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

lmao bill barr is going to use the doj to keep facebook from policing trump's propaganda on their platform, this owns.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

luxury handset posted:

it is foolish to think that deleting your facebook account will move the needle in any appreciable way towards facebook's necessary demise

instead it is imperative to delete your facebook because it is a dogshit platform full of woe, used only to spy on you

Yeah, I say delete it for your own mental health. Especially if it's something that upsets you more than entertains you.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Fort Worth having a presser right now and I'm surprised at how far they're throwing the officer under the bus who shot the lady in her home. Even the police chief named him and said he faced criminal charges.
Even for cops that's a tough one to defend immediately after a cop in the next town over went to prison for doing exactly the same poo poo.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

i am harry posted:

This is ironic because you sound like a bit of a oval office.
I know a lot of decent atheists, but I don't find out about it the first time I meet them, is my point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

I know a lot of decent atheists, but I don't find out about it the first time I meet them, is my point.
Excuse me but I'm a vegan.