Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

blarzgh posted:

You use to be able to upload discoveries from your discovery tab in the menu for tons of nanites, but I haven't checked to see if that mechanic was replaced by the Nexus dude who gives you nanites.
You can still do that it's just a ton of busy work because the button to upload everything new at once doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Don't know what that two gig patches all about, but my game is running incredibly smooth. My huge farm previously was having trouble loading in everything, and now there's no lag, or faze out of anything

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 5, 2019

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Lots of optimizations according to the patch notes. Is that only for pc, runs it better on ps4 as well?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Nanite Farming:

1. Platinum refines into nanite clusters (35 to 1) so buy a billion platinum and churn nanites.

Platinum can itself be created by refining:
Silver x1 + Gold x1 → Platinum x1

Less efficient are:
Geodesite → Platinum
Iridesite → Platinum
Ferrite Dust x1 + Oxygen x1 + Chromatic Metal x250 → Platinum x10

2. Pugeneum can be refined into nanites. So go kill gobs and gobs of sentinels and then dump all the pugeneum into the refiner.

I tried this and the goop conversion a couple times, but then I realized I could get ten times as many nanites by just traveling around and scanning stuff occasionally.

Ghostlight posted:

You can still do that it's just a ton of busy work because the button to upload everything new at once doesn't work.

Yeah, it's a bit annoying without the upload all button, but at least it beats waiting around for your refiners to finish turning poo poo into nanites.

Edit:

I looked up how hard the rebalancing hit my industries, and the answer is, I'm still lucky, this time: The rebalancing just now prevents me from obsessively building more storage, as most of my exctractor-output is now a lot closer to what I've already built. Which is still less then a day until everything is full again. The way things are, it'll take 2-3 more rebalancings until I have to actually do something about this. :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 5, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

don't say goodbye, euclid, say good journey.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Havent been able to play the NMS since the update. I just upgraded my PC and should have no issues running it finally. Should I start a new save or roll with my main one that has about 300 hours on it?

Thanks in advance!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ZombieCrew posted:

Havent been able to play the NMS since the update. I just upgraded my PC and should have no issues running it finally. Should I start a new save or roll with my main one that has about 300 hours on it?

Thanks in advance!

You can do either but I’d always recommend a new save. You might experience bugs and at the very least having a new save will help you rule out the save file as the issue.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

chaosapiant posted:

You might experience bugs

Oh, for real? :razz:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I like this game but it's been hard to figure out. Inventory management has been difficult, especially because there's so much stuff to collect and no way to tell what is useful, or what might only be useful much farther into the game. I tried refining things to make them more compact but found I frequently needed the raw material so it was a waste of time to reverse the process. I'm getting the feeling that I should be spending WAY more time collecting raw materials, even though I have been using most of my game time for that.

I met an alien who wanted to gift me a multi-tool but it was pretty crappy compared to mine so I turned it down and lost standing that I didn't even know I had. :(

I also had a couple of adventures with unexpected enemies, like the egg I shot that prompted a swarm of horrors to burst out of the ground, and an endless stream of robots that got pissed off when I was wandering around an abandoned building. gently caress those things.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Inventory: Everything has some use, and you can always get more of anything.

Dick Trauma posted:

I also had a couple of adventures with unexpected enemies, like the egg I shot that prompted a swarm of horrors to burst out of the ground, and an endless stream of robots that got pissed off when I was wandering around an abandoned building. gently caress those things.

lol

Edit: Also, don't worry about standing with the races. Later in the game, you can choose whether to start working on it for achievements, but its impact on your experience is either negligible, or non-existent; I'm not sure I ever noticed.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 14, 2019

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I just got the game a few weeks ago. I don't think there's anything you need to keep that you can't find again later.

In survival where you're limited to 250 per slot, I just sell everything except one or two stacks of the basics like carbon, sodium, oxygen, cobalt, ferrite. You can use that money to buy extra inventory slots at space stations. The guy that sells exosuit upgrades has a machine behind him to purchase a slot. I never knew it was there until I watched someone else play. You can use it once per station. You can also find drop pods on planets that will give you another slot when you repair it (at the cost of the materials which is not high).

The whispering egg got me the first time also. Didn't expect that.

Sentinels are annoying, yeah. Pay attention to the sentinel rating on each planet. On some they will attack you on sight, but most will only attack if they see you mining or attacking creatures. Or sometimes they guard certain buildings, where you need to break the door to get in (use your ship guns instead).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Godammit I am not throwing away these Fireberries!

EDIT: VVVV :lol:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 14, 2019

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: VVVV :lol:

Learn how to make a Nutrient Processor, it's got a shared 25-slot inventory for food only.

Fireberries are very slightly worth holding onto since you need them or pulpy roots to make a base for hot sauce. Pretty much everything else you can grow.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I would say the only things you need to worry about stockpiling for future use is white and blue devices (Salvaged Data, Factory Override, Drop Pod, Navigation Data, Wiring Loom).

Everything else, keep if you have an idea of what you're doing with it otherwise just sell it at a good price. If you need a resource down the line they're all broken up fairly strictly by planet type and the planet types are broken up by star type, so you can narrow your search down from the galaxy screen while you're travelling to wherever because literally the entire game is travelling from system to system anyway.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

What's the deal with those distress beacons that don't seem to do anything? They say something about entity deleted, and the only option is to "Broadcast", then it says something about an anomaly. It doesn't seem to give any nanites, items or blueprints.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I *think* they function as save points? At first I assumed they had something to do with the Atlas quest line, or that they made Sentinels a little less aggressive locally or something, but I've never found any evidence to support either hypothesis.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It's ~*~Lore~*~

But seriously, they don't do anything. Some of them have a crashed ship you can snag nearby, but most of them don't.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I cleared out the "excess" items at a trade terminal and decided to complete the warp drive construction mission. I'm low on pulse fuel and I hoped that in orbit I could just shoot rocks to get more but all they produced was silver. I did laugh though to see that I was boring literal holes right through them. I was expecting something like EvE mining.

So I followed the trail to the next planet, a stinky but harmless looking world. Hopped out of my ship to walk to the quest target and I saw a weird icon float across my screen that looked like a paw print. I thought "Is Snoopy here?" and then some small lizard-things were trying to eat me and thank goodness the mining laser was enough to kill them because I was fumbling pretty badly. I saw more of those monster eggs and gave them a wide birth.

I like to explore so hopping planets so quickly makes me feel like I'm missing out on roaming and mining and collecting and all that good stuff. I can't figure out the importance of the initial quest line, how it fits into the grand scheme of things. Is it something I should chase down as quickly as possible to get set up better for the things I want to do, or is it just meaningless flavor text?

EDIT: I think the process of learning new words from aliens and trying out your pronunciation is pretty funny. I like seeing their language slowly becoming understandable.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Do whatever you want, at your own pace. Sometimes quest lines just hop to another mildly interesting game mechanic, sometimes they do nothing, and sometimes they open a door to an entirely new aspect of gameplay.

You'll get through all of it eventually. 16 16 16

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

What are some good ways to earn units quickly? I’ve started setting up resource extractors for metals, etc. and have been either selling them or making other stuff (e.g. gold + silver to platinum) and then selling that. Also trying to make stuff like Hot Ice when possible.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

mentalcontempt posted:

What are some good ways to earn units quickly? I’ve started setting up resource extractors for metals, etc. and have been either selling them or making other stuff (e.g. gold + silver to platinum) and then selling that. Also trying to make stuff like Hot Ice when possible.

If you are pre-industry, find a planet with ancient bones, and run around digging up Dino’s. Some of them can get to .5M or 2.5M.

If you really need some quick low cash, you can mine underwater plants and salt for cutout phosphate. You won’t get rich, but you can get enough to buy up chromatic metal or it’s components.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

mentalcontempt posted:

I'm 12 hours into a new save and just got a mining tool with way more slots than the starting tool (21 slot). I installed 3 S class scanner modules and now get about 60k for scanning plants and between 100 and 400k for animals. I like exploring and hopping from planet to planet so this works good for me. Its decent early money, but eventually I'll build a farm. I guess the new money making farm is activated indium farms? I havent looked into it yet.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Is there a way to move constructed items in your base without having to delete and rebuild the item? I know you get all the mats back, but I think it would be easier to move stuff into place once built sometimes.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ZombieCrew posted:

Is there a way to move constructed items in your base without having to delete and rebuild the item? I know you get all the mats back, but I think it would be easier to move stuff into place once built sometimes.

No.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mentalcontempt posted:

Find an Indium/Cadmium/Emeril deposit - 45,000 sells for 20,000,000.

Spend a little extra time building a farm, and if you've got all 31 blueprints and collect all the plants, you'll just need some nitrogen, sulfurine, and radon And a few thousand condensed carbon And you can craft Stacy's devices and fusion reactors which sell for $15 million each.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

This farm took me a few hours to engineer, and a few hours to build. Add another couple hours to find three gas clouds on three different planets to harvest nitrogen radon and sulphurine.

Now, one harvest takes 10 minutes and it produces five stasis devices and five fusion reactors. All together they sell for 150 million dollars. You can harvest once a day.

Edit: well that's pretty cool, now the coordinates show up in a screenshot, so if anybody wants to drop by and plop down a teleporter they're more than welcome. (Xbox - Euclid. Not sure if it will show up in PS4 or PC games.)

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 16, 2019

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The main quest seems to be leading me all over so I'm going to prioritize it to get it out of the way. I keep getting distracted and wanting to explore but should probably leave that until I have a better understanding of the game.

The quest made me go to a nasty world that wasn't just radioactive, but it was an extreme hazard I wasn't equipped for and there was a sandstorm, and I think my ship even flew through hail to get to the objective. This game is good for making me nervous about getting out of my ship.

On my way back up into space I noticed that the huge planet next door had bones listed as a resource and I'm so tempted to go poking about but dammit I have to finish that quest!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

The main quest seems to be leading me all over so I'm going to prioritize it to get it out of the way. I keep getting distracted and wanting to explore but should probably leave that until I have a better understanding of the game.

The quest made me go to a nasty world that wasn't just radioactive, but it was an extreme hazard I wasn't equipped for and there was a sandstorm, and I think my ship even flew through hail to get to the objective. This game is good for making me nervous about getting out of my ship.

On my way back up into space I noticed that the huge planet next door had bones listed as a resource and I'm so tempted to go poking about but dammit I have to finish that quest!

do things you want to do while doing the main quest, there's nothing special about it. it just provides something to tick off as you're futzing around so you feel like you're doing something. go dig up some bones.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The quest just kinda meanders about forever, don't worry about trying to finish it vs just loving about.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh my whatever patches came down in the 2 or weeks since I played are amazing. I now get zero stutters on reentry at .5x in my Pimax. That is stunning.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Don't worry too much about the story quests - it'll keep the space station for the objective in the teleport menu, and if you get too far away it'll put a red warp symbol next to the quest that indicates you can just hold down the right-stick to reassign it to system near you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dick Trauma posted:

As long as you keep going until you can call the Space Anomaly, you've got 80% of what the main quest will do to facilitate you bootin' around the galaxy. Another 15% will come when you hire on the Overseer.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
So I declined my first frigate as per advice. That means I get to save one in battle and get it for free sometime down the road, correct? The first one is always a C class beater right?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's whatever the the system's procgen serves up, which is more likely than not a C-class beater.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

What I’ve read says that the second freighter battle is guaranteed to be a “capital” freighter (the Star Destroyer or Dreadnought looking ones). It can still range in quality depending on the economy of the system. It can also take a long time before you get that encounter, even the methods to force it sound like a pain. I shrugged and went with my first freebie since it was class A and just a slot or two from the best non-capital you can get. I plan on having the game’s economy broken over my knee by the time I find a better one.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

runchild posted:

What I’ve read says that the second freighter battle is guaranteed to be a “capital” freighter (the Star Destroyer or Dreadnought looking ones).

I don't think that's correct. Each solar system has its own designated freighter that gets procedurally generated along with everything else when you discover it. The design is always the same, (i.e. type, size, color).

However, the Class and slots are randomized with every reload, so if you warp in, and it's a design you want, but it's only a C class or whatever, you can reload to before you warped in, warp back in, and check again until you get an S Class.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Shorter version of the freighter hunting tutorial:
1.get in your spaceship - Warp, land on a planet, manual save, warp, planet, save, warp, save until your next warp results in a freighter under attack. (Every 5-6 warps triggers a freighter attack on the next warp).

2. Don't Save. Reload, and warp to different systems, reloading without saving, until you see the freighter you want (each system has a pre-set freighter, design/size/color).

3. When you see the freighter you want, STOP. WRITE DOWN THE SYSTEM YOURE IN. Don't Save, don't reload.

4. Kill the pirates, board the freighter, talk to the captain. The ship's class (A-S) and # of slots spawns randomly when you warp in. If you like it, buy it.
5. If you want to re-roll until you get an S Class, reload your Manual Save (because you have an autosave from getting out of your ship in the hangar), look at the name of the system you WROTE DOWN, and warp back in, wash, rinse, repeat!

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

blarzgh posted:

I don't think that's correct. Each solar system has its own designated freighter that gets procedurally generated along with everything else when you discover it. The design is always the same, (i.e. type, size, color).

However, the Class and slots are randomized with every reload, so if you warp in, and it's a design you want, but it's only a C class or whatever, you can reload to before you warped in, warp back in, and check again until you get an S Class.

My understanding is that the “capital” freighters are different from the “normal” freighters, you ONLY encounter them when a certain kind of space battle spawns. Like you said, the design is still fixed based on the star system while the class and slots are randomized, but it’s separate from the “normal” freighter you would encounter in that system.

According to the NMS wiki, as well as other sources, if you refuse the first free freighter offered to you then the next time you encounter a space battle it’s guaranteed to be the big battle with the big freighter. Maybe that’s out of date info, maybe it’s just wrong, idunno. Like I said, I didn’t bother trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Had to fight a pirate and I definitely did not enjoy how this game handles space combat. I'm hoping I can avoid that in the future.