Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

If this is true, I take back what I said. If this happened then this is Fort Worth PD following which way the wind is blowing.

https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1183812427651137536?s=20

Ha! They're really throwing the (Police Union Hand)book at him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SocketWrench posted:

You don't need that many digits. Just put a big 0
It has been [bullet hole] days..

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

I'm sort of curious how PZ Myers is doing these days. Back in the late-00s when I was in my full-on "atheism is great and I need to tell people about it all the time" phase, PZ Myers' blog Pharyngula was my main stop for that, and I remember him being significantly more progressive than many others, including being one of the (very) few among the male New Atheists to support Rebecca Watson when she spoke out about her elevator harassment. (I still remember that as the first moment I realized just how misogynist most of the "rational community" was.) I also remember him speaking out against homophobia and racism, too.

I haven't followed any New Atheist things in a lot of years but I hope he's still a decent guy and hasn't fallen into the same reactionary bullshit as his contemporaries.

He's basically given up on being part of movement atheism. These days, his blog is mostly run of the mill good left-liberalism and research updates. He'll talk about atheist issues now and then, but most of the time it's attacking fascist New Atheist leaders. A few years ago most of his energy seemed to be waging war against those guys, but I think he decided it was a lost cause. Pharyngula is kinda boring now, but it's always in the right place.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Disarm all police departments. There's no reason cops need guns, especially when they have proven time and time again that they cannot responsibly wield them even if their intentions are pure (they usually aren't).

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

theflyingorc posted:

it's me, agreeing with Prester Jane

The government needs to regulate all sites using THE ALGORITHM, which is what is really killing us.

I used to debunk bullshit on Facebook all the time that conservative psychos posted, Facebook changed things up and now I never see articles I'm not already predisposed to agree with. If it categorizes you as liberal your days of seeing anything pro-trump at all are over.

Facebook also clearly thinks I'm gay but that's another issue

This kind of touches on something I've been thinking about a great deal lately, something that I really have no answers for: the degree to which our news and our entertainment media (and virtually every bit of information we are exposed to) is hand-tailored to our individual pre-existing worldview- by self-learning algorithms trying to sell us things.

Unless you are the kind of individual who has been very deeply engaged with both the internet and politics for a long time, it's kind of hard to see what is currently happening to so much of our society. None of us are having the same shared experience of reality anymore, even if we're all sitting in the same room sharing and what is supposed to be a social gathering. Anymore when people aren't actively engaged in a conversation or some sort of activity, they are on their phones, on social media, being exposed to information that in subtle (and not-so-subtle) ways reinforces whatever worldview the algorithm has decided they want.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

That's some seriously unsupportable optimism there putting three digits in.

Hell, you can make it "police shootings of black people without guns" and almost never need the second digit:

"Police shooting of unarmed black people" won't need that second digit ~a quarter to half the time:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Timodc/status/1183786811916783617

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1183505886343548929

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1183809898859118593

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

I'm sort of curious how PZ Myers is doing these days. Back in the late-00s when I was in my full-on "atheism is great and I need to tell people about it all the time" phase, PZ Myers' blog Pharyngula was my main stop for that, and I remember him being significantly more progressive than many others, including being one of the (very) few among the male New Atheists to support Rebecca Watson when she spoke out about her elevator harassment. (I still remember that as the first moment I realized just how misogynist most of the "rational community" was.) I also remember him speaking out against homophobia and racism, too.

I haven't followed any New Atheist things in a lot of years but I hope he's still a decent guy and hasn't fallen into the same reactionary bullshit as his contemporaries.

for being an evangelical atheist meyers is pretty ok, he's pro-feminism and pro-social justice but iirc he dropped off from a lot of internet commentary and blogging because of an argument with TERFy old white atheists and more young online folks that he didn't want to moderate anymore. everyone reaches a breaking point eventually where you just want to stop using internet for a while

Flip Yr Wig posted:

He's basically given up on being part of movement atheism. These days, his blog is mostly run of the mill good left-liberalism and research updates. He'll talk about atheist issues now and then, but most of the time it's attacking fascist New Atheist leaders. A few years ago most of his energy seemed to be waging war against those guys, but I think he decided it was a lost cause. Pharyngula is kinda boring now, but it's always in the right place.

yeah, trying to steer movement atheism means getting in constant online arguments with internet atheists and that'll wear you down over a long enough period of time

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 14, 2019

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Prester Jane posted:

The three biggest red flags when someone is just introducing themselves are 1.) "I'm an atheist", 2.) "I'm a vegan", and 3.) "I'm a card-carrying member of Mensa".

you forgot crossfit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flip Yr Wig posted:

luxury handset posted:

for being an evangelical atheist meyers is pretty ok, he's pro-feminism and pro-social justice but iirc he dropped off from a lot of internet commentary and blogging because of an argument with TERFy old white atheists and more young online folks that he didn't want to moderate anymore. everyone reaches a breaking point eventually where you just want to stop using internet for a while

I'm glad to hear he's still how I remember him, then. I recall looking up to him a lot back then, especially after he distanced himself from Dawkins once Dawkins started showing his true misogynist/racist colors.

Kale
May 14, 2010

At the very least all the bullshit in the news lately from Blizzard and Apple's kowtowing to China, to Trump's impeachment inquiry and just openly admitting to crimes seems to be slowly waking some people up a little from their fanboyish stupors to what's going on or at the very least for the first time in years I'm seeing pushback against some of this poo poo. The fact that I find myself almost pleasantly surprised that people are coming out on the just objectively just side of these flashpoint incidents instead of just openly siding with the facist free-speech limiting ones like I figure would have happened even two years say a lot about how bad things have gotten recently, but that somewhere people still have the capacity for common loving sense. To, for the most part, put what's clearly right against their own personal enjoyment and hedonism in the heat of a moment. Gamer's no less,with how loving bad and full of right wing "SJW's are ruining my games" talking point shitheads that label has gotten, are coming out on the side of basic justice in the Blizzard debacle for example and don't appear to be having their poo poo.

Anyway more and more as bad as things are and how people just seem okay with selling out previously held values I think we're finally starting to find a threshold and awareness of how far people are willing to go down the rabbit hole.....maybe, I'll come back to my nagging doubts in a moment. Right now though it's more than I thought people were willing to go down said rabbit holein 2015, but less than I thought in 2017 where I basically had little faith in humanity left if that makes any sense.

Like it's just become so blatant to all but the fully indoctrinated braindead types online that these people that are currently under fire are 100% totally okay with selling us all out one way or another for profit or personal gain and that that cost outweighs anything they may promise or offer as a service, be it an addictive popular video game or political gains like overturning Roe v. Wade or whatever conservatism stands for in 2019. Still a tremendous amount of ground work to be done yet and a lot more loving up openly and blatantly by the powers that be to keep the momentum going in the right direction though and at the end of the day it still depends on humanity as a whole rediscovering it's collective backbone and what it wants to be as a society and species. Do we want some degree of compassion and greater justice for ourselves and others, or do we want memes and symbols and trends to just blindly follow that only benefit the already wealthy, influential and powerful?

However, of course there's a chance that it's not entirely people consciously and with deliberate purpose coming out on the side of clear justice, but that things like the Blizzard thing have gone viral against them at the moment and that we are getting memes featuring characters from Overwatch trending on social media thus generating the usual bandwagon and momentum effect, but lets see what happens there. If a bunch of people just show up to Blizzcon in Mei and Winnie the Pooh cosplay, without a clear concise pro-justice narrative behind it all and just proceed to make loving asses of themselves and take selfies we'll know what's really at play there. Not gonna lie I'm kind of watching that one closely at the moment as an early litmus test about how much people are really waking the gently caress up or not weird as that is. Obviously the 2020 US General Election is "the big one" on the horizon so to speak.

Sorry for all the walls of text, but this is something I've been pondering about for quiet some time and it feels like at last it's become a greater public topic as a whole due to a coalescence of high profile bullshit all happening at the same time. Basically the theory that when you break it all down there is no one magic once in a life time charismatic figure, ideology or belief system at play in all the once unthinkable horrors we've seen this decade, just social media momentum and clever exploitation and manipulation when we're still coming to grips with how integrated it's gotten with our society.

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 14, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ringo Star Get posted:

This is true. Illinois starts legalized marijuana in January and all these towns are having meetings to opt in or opt out. Everyone in my town is all “weed is bad!!!!” and ignore all the benefits (taxes, less illegal drugs, etc) while at the same time being A-OK for alcohol and gambling. People are worried of people driving high even though people are already doing it, with the addition of drunk drivers.

They are also staunchly against putting in bike lanes, MUPs, and do nothing to help bring in better businesses. We have a Walmart but no one wants them, but also making sure other businesses don’t come in.

Get involved. The five of us who do GOONPAC will support you, and maybe more of SA will get involved if there’s a goon running for office/goon-led campaign for something worthwhile somewhere.

Kale posted:

I recall that guy that everyone thought was super charismatic and just the greatest human rights leader of our time ended up running stark naked through a street on drugs rambling about god knows what and nobody has heard anything about him since, but he had people in the palm of his loving hands in 2012.

That dude was mentally ill and he was hardly considered “greatest rights leader of our time.”

But yeah Facebook’s entrenchment and monopoly are a massive problem for workers, not just for what people were saying yesterday regarding hiring/HR at many businesses basically expecting a social media presence, but also for anybody trying to work independently or start a small business. It’s incredibly difficult to start or run an independent gig of any sort without being able to advertise on Facebook.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183818843464065024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mind_Taker posted:

Disarm all police departments. There's no reason cops need guns, especially when they have proven time and time again that they cannot responsibly wield them even if their intentions are pure (they usually aren't).

I don't know why we don't. Maybe keep a response team, but at the very least responding to most calls should have an implied "lock the gun in your car" approach.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

What a sad little bitch.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't know why we don't. Maybe keep a response team, but at the very least responding to most calls should have an implied "lock the gun in your car" approach.

Yeah my stopgap would be 'you no longer carry handguns, if you need a weapon, get the longarms out of the trunk'

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Prester Jane posted:

The three biggest red flags when someone is just introducing themselves are 1.) "I'm an atheist", 2.) "I'm a vegan", and 3.) "I'm a card-carrying member of Mensa".

poo poo, that's what I've been doing wrong all these years. gently caress.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How about when introducing yourself with the words

“As a parent”

“As a home owner”

“As a Christian”

That never ends well

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Here's some good news I did not expect.

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1183782872467030016

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Cops would pitch a loving fit if they were expected to respond alone to calls without a gun, and nobody wants to pay for them to go in pairs.

Arming them to the teeth, tooling then up on fear and trucker speed, and then working them 16 hours at a time is the cheap solution.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 14, 2019

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

And this is some sad poll unskewing bullshit article, if you didn't already know. THEY POLLED MORE DEMOCRATS!!!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah my stopgap would be 'you no longer carry handguns, if you need a weapon, get the longarms out of the trunk'

This is a really good place to start honestly. If we just focused on handguns things would improve dramatically.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How about when introducing yourself with the words

“As a parent”

“As a home owner”

“As a Christian”

That never ends well

As a trombone player... Hey, why is there a comically large smoke cloud shaped like a person where my date used to be?

But if you start anything with "As a X" you already screwed up.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

As a dude with a pocket full of monster condoms for my magnum dong...

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wasn't Hungary going full fascist? This seems like a ray of light

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

As a man who has touched a boob...

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

As a dude with a pocket full of monster condoms for my magnum dong...

As a guy with a pocket full sand

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good. Orban is fascist trash

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

As a guy with a pocket full sand

I cannot be court martialed twice!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kinda buried the lead

quote:

A sex scandal in the western city of Gyor, in which videos surfaced of the married Fidesz mayor, Zsolt Borkai apparently participating in an orgy on a yacht in the Adriatic, appears to have damaged Fidesz in urban centres where independent media are still widely available.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183822494031065088

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I can't wait to see how Graham spins this poo poo

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if he believes Napoleon is still alive.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Trump has never heard of Napoleon Bonaparte.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

I'm thinking this is not an authentic Trump, which means the White House is trying to staple together some kind of coherent policy around this incoherent sentiment.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

AceOfFlames posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he believes Napoleon is still alive.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump has never heard of Napoleon Bonaparte.

I wouldn't be surprised if he mixed him up with Napoleon Dynamite

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
As a carbon-based life form....

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The fact that Trump constantly says "my generals" is seriously disturbing.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Willo567 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he mixed him up with Napoleon Dynamite

Pedro for president (of Turkey)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183823970979713024