Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

LividLiquid posted:

The boogeyman you're so resentful of isn't real.

You should read your own posts. I mean not in general because they're terrible, but this one in particular is a tremendous self own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
anyone who uses the term "SJW" unironically isnt worth responding to imo

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What the gently caress are you bozos doing to my beautiful thread

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zzulu posted:

What the gently caress are you bozos doing to my beautiful thread
Some jabronie invented a group of straw people who might hypothetically be offended by the show we all love and decided that these nonexistant people wanted to censor the show and when people disagreed with this dumbass, baseless assertion, well, here we are.

So maybe don't invent groups of people to argue with who don't exist because gaaaaaah SJWs or whatever and we can all back to our rum ham and grilled charlies.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LividLiquid posted:

Some jabronie invented a group of straw people who might hypothetically be offended by the show we all love and decided that these nonexistant people wanted to censor the show and when people disagreed with this dumbass, baseless assertion, well, here we are.

So maybe don't invent groups of people to argue with who don't exist because gaaaaaah SJWs or whatever and we can all back to our rum ham and grilled charlies.

You were actually the first person to bring up SJWs

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

"I feel like every time we make a plan you all find some way to gently caress it up."

12pm

The Gang Discusses SJWs

*roll credits*

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Feels like this should just get posted on the top of every page.

https://i.imgur.com/BSwtIMS.mp4

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Not surprisingly the Gang did get some criticism for this episode.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Proof that if something is funny you can get away with it. That episode was, beyond a few moments, loving awful.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really enjoyed that episode because Scott Bakula

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Baronjutter posted:

I really enjoyed that episode because Scott Bakula

I always feel bad when washed up actors are cast as themselves to just make fun of themselves for not getting work anymore, so I was happy they used Scott Bakula since he's still successful.

Also, that is one of my favorite Sunny episodes. I know a lot of people disliked it, but I thought it was so great. But I also have a very weird specific taste where shows I like do musical episodes for no reason. I think the showing a black kid being shot to death part was the biggest issue a lot of people had with it, but it's so perfect and so purposely shocking. But I can see why it would be too much for some people.

I think my only complaint about the episode is I think if you took the race the stuff out of it it would be the perfect series finale so I kinda wish they would have kept it in their back pocket for the end. Like specifically the last song. They've been such lovely people who have done all the crimes I think the perfect ending to the show would be the cops showing up, shooting Charlie and them all being arrested while being scared shitless and singing that they want to go back home. The End. It just feels like the perfect ending to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Feels like this should just get posted on the top of every page.

drat, solid point there. Art of the deal. Art of the deal. :hmmyes:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The Gang Turns Black was a fun episode and Charlie getting shot for holding a toy train was perfect so I'm gonna assume the people mad were mostly white cop apologists

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think its really important to point out that recanting on your own attitudes and not wanting to say a slur anymore isn't censorship, it's changing your personal attitude toward something.

the implication isn't that the gang is scard of the repercussions of having used the "r" word, the implication is that the gang probably doesnt think it has any humorous value.

Mac & Dee insisting that blackface works IS still funny (because blackface doesn't actually trick people into thinking your black)

Also if you are a white man or woman online and you unironically use the term SJW then you are functioning under an extremely flawed ideology that is propagated almost exclusively by shitheads. It's not about Social Justice, it's about not hurting people's feelings for no reason.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Koalas March posted:

The Gang Turns Black was a fun episode and Charlie getting shot for holding a toy train was perfect so I'm gonna assume the people mad were mostly white cop apologists

It was the opposite. Left leaning opinion columns that had problems with the direction of the episode and some of the stereotyping involved. The message might have been good but the execution was poor. Based on lovely youtube comments, I think there are still plenty of right wing people that watch the show, but they think the characters are cool and right, not insane caricatures of terrible people. They empathize with Frank wanting to say racial slurs and they understand Dennis using con's to try and sexually assault women.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/01/hey-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-maybe-dont-jo.html

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/1/8/14194356/always-sunny-in-philadelphia-gang-turns-black-recap

I thought the episode was just ok to good, but I hate musicals. I did find it interesting that in another article on "Why hasn't Sunny been cancel cultured?" they theorized its because its fans are very, very privileged. The average income of a Sunny fan was like $89,000 and mostly white. So why would they be offended by the show anyways. I don't agree but its interesting to read about.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 15, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koalas March posted:

I always find it a bit odd the things people get upset about, but I think there's a subset of people who will get upset any time a serious topic is addressed in a show that's mainly a comedy. Always Sunny has always tackled very serious issues, so the musical being very on the nose about how extremely dangerous and deadly any interactions with the police can be for black folks is absolutely par for the course. It wasn't played as a joke, it was shown as tragic, it was shown as the Gang's white-brains thinking they can just sweet talk the cops out of anything as a way of showing how naive a lot of white folks are over the dangers the police present to non-white people. Black kids being shot by cops wasn't the joke, the "joke" was how utterly naive the gang was, as white people, to how murderous cops are.

But I still heard some normally reasonable folks say things like "Making a joke out of cops shooting a black kid was in bad taste" or "You shouldn't joke about cops shooting black people, that's a real thing that happens!" No poo poo that's a thing that happens, what's what the show was seriously addressing.

I don't get it, but I've seen that sort of reaction a lot. Personally I've generally found comedy often offers some of the most biting and effective responses to serious issues.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

vincentpricesboner posted:

I thought the episode was just ok to good, but I hate musicals. I did find it interesting that in another article on "Why hasn't Sunny been cancel cultured?" they theorized its because its fans are very, very privileged. The average income of a Sunny fan was like $89,000 and mostly white. So why would they be offended by the show anyways. I don't agree but its interesting to read about.

This is the most insane thing I've ever read, just so you know. Please find a source so I can try to understand where they possibly got that number from.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ariza posted:

This is the most insane thing I've ever read, just so you know. Please find a source so I can try to understand where they possibly got that number from.

Not sure what you think is so insane about certain shows having different demographics watching them?

https://thefederalist.com/2019/09/30/what-shields-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-from-cancel-culture/

https://uproxx.com/tv/always-sunny-in-philadelphia-wealthiest-audience/

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

holy poo poo lmao you really linked the federalist as a source on anything, huh

Don't waste your clicks everyone, both articles source this Vulture.com article from 2016 that just says "we looked at nielsens and these are facts" as if Nielsens were the most accurate source on anything.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I started reading the federalist one to keep an open mind and noped out halfway through lol

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Lol at labeling +$80k household income with as a capital E Elite

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's Always Sunny is the favourite TV show of (((Cultural Elites)))

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

moist turtleneck posted:

Lol at labeling +$80k household income with as a capital E Elite

Yeah its pretty stupid. Especially since like all the friends I know that watch Sunny are streaming it anyways.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDnsIt2VwoI

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope we see the Lawyer again but with an eyepatch.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

To the extent Cancel Culture actually exists, I'm pretty sure Sunny is shielded by the Colbert effect. When the gang is being racist/sexist/whatever, American liberals understand the comedic nature of it, American conservative think the gang is right, and then nobody is really upset.

Also I'm rewatching Season 13, and god drat is it ever good. I remember very little of it from my first watch (probably because I was drunk), but this is some of the best Sunny ever. I'm 5 eps in and all five are amazing; The Gang Escapes in particular loving kills me with the guys all trying to out man each other.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I hope we see the Lawyer again but with an eyepatch.
I hope he gets Cricketed due to regular proximity with the gang. Get him a robot voice machine and a big anime style face scar and some missing fingers.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Whalley posted:

I hope he gets Cricketed due to regular proximity with the gang. Get him a robot voice machine and a big anime style face scar and some missing fingers.

They should do the opposite. Make his life better. Suddenly his wife comes back. He got a new super robot eye. His practice is booming after the bird attack in court.

Charlie just sits there fuming.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PittTheElder posted:

To the extent Cancel Culture actually exists, I'm pretty sure Sunny is shielded by the Colbert effect. When the gang is being racist/sexist/whatever, American liberals understand the comedic nature of it, American conservative think the gang is right, and then nobody is really upset.

Also I'm rewatching Season 13, and god drat is it ever good. I remember very little of it from my first watch (probably because I was drunk), but this is some of the best Sunny ever. I'm 5 eps in and all five are amazing; The Gang Escapes in particular loving kills me with the guys all trying to out man each other.

The Gang Escapes is def a top 10 episode for me. Frank with the "lead cow has to chew" or whatever just kills me everytime.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
And the fact that Dennis knew exactly what Frank was trying to do with his cud

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also Charlie pointing out that Dennis will scratch Mac if he comes back without gum. It's all so perfect

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
his neck's high, I trust him

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Art of the deal! art.of.the.deal.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I'm poo poo-tweeting at work. Can any of you fine and industrious goons find or create a .gif of Jessy Hodges saying "gently caress man, what?" From a few weeks ago? I think it will make a fine reaction .gif.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Honestly as good a line as anything from the other 12 seasons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ve_5WhpzY

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess it's not good that no one is talking about the latest episode. Bang em and bin em.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cojawfee posted:

I guess it's not good that no one is talking about the latest episode. Bang em and bin em.

It was a decent episode, plenty of jokes in there. And the waiter got boned pretty hard because he started to get himself in with Frank's big plans.

I think the lack of discussion is because too many in this thread are probably :filez: the episodes and there is a strange delay on Always Sunny...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It was a decent episode, plenty of jokes in there. And the waiter got boned pretty hard because he started to get himself in with Frank's big plans.

I think the lack of discussion is because too many in this thread are probably :filez: the episodes and there is a strange delay on Always Sunny...

I have it on Amazon, which takes a day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"'After midnight'. What are you, like, in your 40s?"

"Yeah! As are you!"

lmao