Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

SoftNum posted:

Technically yes but the Supreme Court usually doesn't pick things up that haven't gone to the state supreme court. Also they're not going to pick this up, because it's a case with an obvious answer and no real precedent setting decisions to make/validate. THere's some rumblings of wanting to strike down Sullivan v. the NYT decision because Trumpers hate the "public figure" rules... this is a poor case because that's not the only or primary reason Vic lost.

Right, this case is such a mess technically (as in many other ways) that nobody is going to push it all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm kind of hopping Vic and the brain trust are dumb and incompetent enough to appeal this all the way to the Supreme Court. It'll take longer but the reward of seeing them fines and sanctions will be sweeter.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Can appeals be funded by a go fund me like the original case was?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Pretty sure the judge can degree to pay out of pocket if they believe they'll just raise more funds. Also lawyers going on at this point has to be some form of malpractice right?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gyges posted:

I'm kind of hopping Vic and the brain trust are dumb and incompetent enough to appeal this all the way to the Supreme Court. It'll take longer but the reward of seeing them fines and sanctions will be sweeter.

please please don't wish for that to happen, the world is dumb enough that it could, and there's at least two rapists on the Supreme Court who would side with Vic

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Gyges posted:

The Supreme Court isn’t going to accept cert on this case because it’s open and shut. I don’t know how TX appellate procedure work, but I would guess that this one appeal is all they’ll get. If it’s anything like florida, appeal number one is guaranteed as a right, but everything else is discretionary.

If this were in Florida, the first appellate court would per curiam affirm the lower decision and end the in-state appeals.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Not surprised considering how stupid they are, speaking of stupid take a gander:

https://twitter.com/ZackDavisson/status/1183816228000784387

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

And of course being classy people, the vicstans descended on it calling these people out for being poors.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gripweed posted:

please please don't wish for that to happen, the world is dumb enough that it could, and there's at least two rapists on the Supreme Court who would side with Vic

It'll just be months of appealing to a higher court, who tells them to gently caress off, followed by appealing to the next highest court until they hit the final wall.

There aren't 4 votes on the Supreme Court to grant cert, so it's just increasing the penalties and cost for Vic and the crew.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One has to wonder just how much Vic knows about his own case.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dawgstar posted:

One has to wonder just how much Vic knows about his own case.

Vic has lived an entire lifetime sheltered from the consequences of his acts of child molestation by his wealthy mother and used the pretext of his religious beliefs as both shield and sword in his ongoing fight to continue loving literal children.

Suffice to say, Vic is not exactly self-aware at any level.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Help the rich or die tryin

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In a 5-4 decision, the supreme court finds that Texas laws that hurt white men are Unconstitutional.

I mean, not really but why not dream the wildest poo poo whynot

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

A student asked me about this the other night and insisted Mignogna was a "victim" of #metoo because he "got too popular". Also something about a jellybean. Wtf is the jellybean? When I Google it I find three lovely chud articles that I don't want to read.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

failing forward posted:

A student asked me about this the other night and insisted Mignogna was a "victim" of #metoo because he "got too popular". Also something about a jellybean. Wtf is the jellybean? When I Google it I find three lovely chud articles that I don't want to read.

The Vicstans say that the whole thing started when Vic made an off color joke about Jelly Beans. I have no idea how they got a hold of that idea, but they'll be like, "A man's life ruined by jelly beans!" in order to make the whole thing seem trivial and silly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

The Vicstans say that the whole thing started when Vic made an off color joke about Jelly Beans. I have no idea how they got a hold of that idea, but they'll be like, "A man's life ruined by jelly beans!" in order to make the whole thing seem trivial and silly.

VicStans act like that's the only thing Monica could ever point to. It came from, I think, a list of things Ty was using as proof to try and assert Vic was not a creeper.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 17, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

failing forward posted:

He wrote Monica's name on a jellybean, ate it, and said he ate her. For some reason, they seem to believe this is what started literally anyone talking about Vic, as opposed to the literal years of complaints.

Hazukari must be ecstatic that Vic took the spotlight off of him.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't some of the complaints go back to when he was in a christian college teacher or something of that ilk? Like fucker is pushing sixty.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Wark Say posted:

Don't some of the complaints go back to when he was in a christian college teacher or something of that ilk? Like fucker is pushing sixty.

From what I understand, but you know, conservative Christian School with sex pest is gonna defend sex pest forever to save face.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Takoluka posted:

as opposed to the literal years of complaints.

I and everyone else in the room saw him do something...questionable all the way back in 2007 at Animethon in Edmonton; it was a fan-girl's birthday (total adolescent, like she didn't even look 15) so he sang her the song and immediately kissed her on the forehead after; all of us total strangers, mouths agape, exchanged looks. And for EVERYONE who's been in the con-running scene for a decent length of time, it's either the same, or you know someone who's witnessed him do something diva-ish and/or lovely to the staff, like friends of mine who went to SakuraCon '08 in Seattle and were in the crowd when he went off on the con staff due to audio issues at his concert, like that's not totally unheard of or anything. A few months later he was at Comic Expo in Calgary and I came around the corner to find him going off on one of my friends over...I dunno, some demand/condition and he wasn't hiding his aggression. BUT OF COURSE as soon as he's done berating con staff he'll literally turn around and be a total angel to any fan who comes up to him!

...sorry, can't help but rant sometimes, ya know?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The one thing vicstans are right about is that tons of other people aided Vic in his bullshit for years, including people that are trying to act like they're on the right side of this now.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Takoluka posted:

From what I understand, but you know, conservative Christian School with sex pest is gonna defend sex pest forever to save face.

They did fire him right after the complaint was registered. It's not official or w/e but that happened a lot in the 90s. I don't think in this case they can be said to be defending him, they probably just don't want to incur legal issues for speaking out (I wonder why they would think that might happen).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Btw, Vic's doing a Star Trek thing in Kingsland, GA this weekend.
https://www.firstcoastnews.com/arti...f7-0e809df20c00

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SoftNum posted:

They did fire him right after the complaint was registered. It's not official or w/e but that happened a lot in the 90s. I don't think in this case they can be said to be defending him, they probably just don't want to incur legal issues for speaking out (I wonder why they would think that might happen).

Oh, was he fired? I heard he just kinda removed himself from the situation, and everyone was hush hush about it. That's good to hear!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Endorph posted:

The one thing vicstans are right about is that tons of other people aided Vic in his bullshit for years, including people that are trying to act like they're on the right side of this now.

I mean they'll say that but it's probably not in good faith because want people to continue giving him a pass.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Takoluka posted:

Oh, was he fired? I heard he just kinda removed himself from the situation, and everyone was hush hush about it. That's good to hear!

Sometimes the line can be blurred between fired and quit.

When 15% of my office got laid off during a downsizing, they offered us contracts where we would officially be considered "mutually separated" instead of fired, waive the right to sue, get a 10% of our annual salary as a severance, get two months of pay and benefits after the signing on top of the severance (officially, we were still considered employed during this period), help in getting a new job (which was a load of poo poo), and their legally binding agreement not to contest unemployment after the two month window passed. Outside of the job assistance, they even kept their word. Which was great because I kind of needed the unemployment since I did get a job in the two month window but it didn't start for another two months afterwards.

Considering the nature of such an event, I wouldn't be surprised if they took Vic aside, had him agree to quit so that this wouldn't make a stir and tried their best to distance themselves if this all blew up. Which is kind of lovely in its own way.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well sure, they were protecting him until it no longer became financially viable.

But Vic was so in love with himself that this was a complete betrayal, it required retribution, delivered via the only way possible, a lawsuit from Youtube Lionel Hutz.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Some impressive mental gymnastics here.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ibblebibble posted:

"When the facts aren't on your side, make new facts."

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I have just the shirt for them.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ibblebibble posted:

You should have just linked the whole Yeti-Cup Tournament of these posts.

4 separate categories to vote in https://twitter.com/wqsaves/status/1185616721316646916?s=19

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hub Cat posted:

I have just the shirt for them.

That'd imply some self-awareness, though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VicGChad07 stands out to me because he's so bizarrely childish in his violent fantasies. Like he fantasized about throwing a literal temper tantrum in court to scare the judge into changing his mind.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Regy Rusty posted:

VicGChad07 stands out to me because he's so bizarrely childish in his violent fantasies. Like he fantasized about throwing a literal temper tantrum in court to scare the judge into changing his mind.

Did he account for the armed individual popularly known as a "bailiff" in his little fever dream?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

And that's why the bailiff is there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Covok posted:

And that's why the bailiff is there.

Really hoping it’s P. Barnes on duty that day.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
More like PT Barnum am I right

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Midjack posted:

Really hoping it’s P. Barnes on duty that day.

I gather that bailiffs have a lot of leeway to take someone down the moment they cross the threshold of acceptable behavior. In LegalEagle one of his most often mentioned comments is the whole "walk into the open space and pace around while questioning/ make arguments" because if you just get up and walk towards the judge unannounced the bailiff will be on you instantly.

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017

Regy Rusty posted:

Chaddy's a big one alright

Would you believe he's a grown-rear end 28 year old man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

More like PT Barnum am I right

PT Barfem