Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

JBP posted:

I'm willing to try this. Having a 5+ for your back objective holders is still a very fine thing. Having your back objective held by this guy and an Executioner with some los would be a cool party. Lock down a quarter of the board and it will probably screw a smash captain out of doing his thing and totalling your Executioner.

I'd rather have an alive executioner on turn three than one that did something turn one and died is what I'm thinking. I run stealthy so it's a 2+/5++ against shooting turn one which is really nice for a 200pt insurance policy that also shits out S8 W2 for primaris marine removal.

That's fair. I've been toying with getting an Eddy for my slowly being built Iron Hands force so that I can have two 5++ bubbles, one marching forward with the Iron Father, the second a rear line one to cover some objective holders in the back. Really lean into the the whole "Iron Hands are hard to kill" thing, ya know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

adamantium|wang posted:

Forgeworld showed us an atomantic pavise for the Dodo about 4 or 5 years ago then never put it up for sale

No one is mad about this. Least of all me.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Can primaris and tacticals interbreed

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

jng2058 posted:

That's fair. I've been toying with getting an Eddy for my slowly being built Iron Hands force so that I can have two 5++ bubbles, one marching forward with the Iron Father, the second a rear line one to cover some objective holders in the back. Really lean into the the whole "Iron Hands are hard to kill" thing, ya know?

That sounds really annoying.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

No real surprises here. Like with the Dunerider I'm gonna hold off until some of this stuff shows in a boxed set, because £45 for a ~80pt transport is nuts.

any news on US pricing?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

TheBigAristotle posted:

any news on US pricing?

$75 for the impulsor, $60 for the inceptors, $40 for the characters.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Contingency posted:

$75 for the impulsor, $60 for the inceptors, $40 for the characters.

I suppose I'm in for the inceptors infiltrators.

(That naming scheme is loving ridiculous.)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm no airbrush expert but getting a tank from primed to battle ready in its primary colours with a two hour investment is so great. I always hated painting tanks and now I love it because it's straight to the fun part rather than stressing over brushing huge panels and loving up.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Are they gonna do the "pick two custom traits" thing for Chaos or did they get boned by the misfortune of having their last big rules release right before that started becoming a thing?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

Are they gonna do the "pick two custom traits" thing for Chaos or did they get boned by the misfortune of having their last big rules release right before that started becoming a thing?

:iiam:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finally got around to playing with all the technical paints. I figured it's October, so I should go spookier with this trench.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Eifert Posting posted:

I finally finished something!

Brings my Intercessors to 9. Next is the last sarge and a couple infiltrators.

sharp

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

JBP posted:

That sounds really annoying.

Its a tournament list. Annoying is the point of the exercise. Actually, infuriating is, but I'll settle for annoying. :tipshat:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

goose willis posted:

The CSM symbol was in that big list of "Armies that will get extra stuff at some point during Psychic Awakening," so there's probably gonna be a psychic awakening book that covers them. Maybe they'll get, I dunno, multipart Obliterators that can also be built as Mutilators. And presumably such a book would also give them the pick custom traits thing.

But the CSM codex was recent so if I had to guess even further than I already am here, I'd guess it's going to come late in the Psychic Awakening cycle.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

So after years of looking at the lore of this game, I finally decided to take the plunge, and went with Dark Imperium to start. Took me an ungodly amount of time to do even one and I have no idea if it's any good, but here's my first plastic spaceman (minus the basing, which I'm still figuring out):

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Extremely good, especially for a first go around. I recommend checking out Warhammer TV, the official GW youtube channel for tutorials about how to paint. There's a lot of good stuff for the Dark Imperium models you have.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RagnarokAngel posted:

Extremely good, especially for a first go around. I recommend checking out Warhammer TV, the official GW youtube channel for tutorials about how to paint. There's a lot of good stuff for the Dark Imperium models you have.

Darren Latham's channel is advanced, but watching a pro do advanced things like highlighting or faces set me up to basically copy it in a simpler way. Watching him lay down what looks like it will be a patchy first coat and then turn it into the final product really shows you the virtue of many coats. Also helps seeing his paint consistency because that's always been hard for me to get right.

I'm looking forward to more Dana Howl tutorials. Never glazed or done her underpainting technique but it seems rad. Also her video presentation and tone is very entertaining.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 15, 2019

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

PierreTheMime posted:

Hey, yeah that was me! :) I meant to ask you if you actually run them as Salamanders or did you go Iron Hands to make the world hate you?

All Salamanders all the time. Are you there a lot? I’m there probably twice a week, and play a lot in the 40k campaign they have there. They also have a regular small point thing every Friday night at 8.

jng2058 posted:

How'd "All Dreads All the Time" work out for you?

It was a charity tournament, with instructions that it wasn’t meant to be a ‘bring your serious business list’ kind of thing. There was a thing in the middle of the first and third game to buy d3 CPs or a free reroll if you donated $5 to the charity, which would have been OMG P2W if it was a serious thing. I brought a dumb bullshit list because I am a dumb bullshit person.

My list was 2x Vanguards. Bray’arth and a chaplain dread with twin las for HQ, then two Redemptors (one big chaingun, one macro-plasma), a vendread with twin las and a fist, two ironclads with chainfist and hurricane bolter, a mortis dread with quad autocannons, then a relic contemptor with quad las and a relic leviathan with twin storm cannons. I should note that any list with Bray’arth on it is not an optimal list, but that I was also using only the models I actually had (the above being every dread I own) and wasn’t really trying to fine tune this thing.

Lost the first game 16 to 10, against a guy with a bunch of demons (mostly Tzeentch), a lord of change, Ahriman, a c-beamer contemptor, and three disco lords. I went first (hey, only ten drops, I don’t get to go first much as Salamanders), spiked two of the three disco lords on turn 1, took the last down to three wounds. If three had gotten in first turn, against my list, I’d have had a big problem. One still did and ripped up a redemptor. After that it boiled down to the ‘how long can his board control last’ game... and the answer was, long enough when you bring 30 plaguebearers - even when I have four melee dreads going wild on them.

Second game was a death guard and demons list - couple demon princes, more plaguebearers, drones, blight hauler, those three-wheeled things. This dude and I both used the same kind of lucky none d6, both had B names, and both were wheat beer drinkers. I voted him for best player and he ultimately won the prize for it. Same overall pattern; I can kill real good but can’t hold objectives for poo poo, and he beat me on that 26 to 24. Close game, and a good one. This tournament was using Adepticon secondaries so I need to play the mission to win, which... yeah, not with my list.

Third game I felt actually kind of bad about. This TO typically makes the last game kill points, and the guy I was up against was playing a bunch of guard - two tank commanders with punishers, two guard gunships also with punishers, and I guess all of his anti-tank (aside from single lascannons in his leman russes) was this obscure thing from FW called a Typhon, which is I guess a super heavy version of a Vindicator. I go first and spike it from 28 wounds to 3, and it shits the bed next turn, only wounds my leviathan once and it bounces off the invuln. The whole rest of the game went like that and he only killed one ironclad, and I won 43 to 1. Just absolutely the wrong matchup and made me wonder if my dumb gimmick list was perhaps not seen as that by the other players.

Going first was a huge deal in the first and third games.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Getting Uzgrak Deffcalla basecoated. I've got the skulls box and some fun ideas for his basing...

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
I've been 'selected' to do weekly updates on goonhammer for this forum. This is last week's content.

Spoiler it was pretty cool and good:

An Alliance Cracks, a Demon Thirsts – Psychic Awakening Phoenix Rising Review Part 1: The Lore

Raf takes a deep dive into the 1st PA book's lore.

Start Competing: Genestealer Cults Tactics

Wing's details the ins and outs of GSC, who are kind of a thing metawise at the moment. Well worth a ganda.

Untitled Titan Post: Introduction to Adeptus Titanicus

The goonhammer discord may (or may not be) 90% honk reactions due another untitled release this month. In this article Garrett talks up AT. A great primer for what the game is about and how to get started. Also some really, really nice titans featured.

Narrative Forge: Better Friendships Though Table Construction

This is my fave article this week as it answers a few of my own burning questions. Chur details out not only how to build a sweet gaming table at home but how awesome it can be in the short and long term.

Dana Howl Paints Creamsicle Goblins and Vaporwave Ghosts – Artist Interview

Raf interviews Dana Howl, a rather excellent painter.

No Pain, No Gain: Dark Eldar/Drukhari Kill Team Tactics

]

Want to do hideous things with your spiky space elves? Read Condit's cool and good article and get slicin and dice'in.

Army Showcase: Corrode’s Drukhari

Goonhammer's Discord admin Corrode (who is my eternal nemesis and target of my regime change attempts. May mild discomfort find him) shows off his really cool and good Dark Eldar collection.

Video Game Retrospective: Space Marine

JB investigates the best 40k game, space marine. Also the crew has been ripping into this the last week or so in multiplayer. Always a good time imho.

(Iron) Halo: (A Naramyth %5BCombat%5D Report) Evolved

Naramyth talks about his experiences at the Iron Halo GT. He ends up doing rather well and shares a lot of tactical insight on the mission structure and the like.

Tournament Preview – Three Cool Lists from Crucible 8 GT

Masterslowpoke talks up 3 cool and good lists. Also features fantastic pictures of his rainbow warriors.

Tournament Preview – Three Cool Lists from Seeds of Destruction

Wings does the same but on the other side of the Atlantic.

The common theme of the above is "OH MY GOD SAVE US FROM IRON HANDS". Makes for good reading in my amature opinion...

Content We Liked, 10/13/2019

Finally Chur rounds up the stuff we thought was cool and/or good this week.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Coldbird posted:

All Salamanders all the time. Are you there a lot? I’m there probably twice a week, and play a lot in the 40k campaign they have there. They also have a regular small point thing every Friday night at 8.

It was a charity tournament, with instructions that it wasn’t meant to be a ‘bring your serious business list’ kind of thing. There was a thing in the middle of the first and third game to buy d3 CPs or a free reroll if you donated $5 to the charity, which would have been OMG P2W if it was a serious thing. I brought a dumb bullshit list because I am a dumb bullshit person.

My list was 2x Vanguards. Bray’arth and a chaplain dread with twin las for HQ, then two Redemptors (one big chaingun, one macro-plasma), a vendread with twin las and a fist, two ironclads with chainfist and hurricane bolter, a mortis dread with quad autocannons, then a relic contemptor with quad las and a relic leviathan with twin storm cannons. I should note that any list with Bray’arth on it is not an optimal list, but that I was also using only the models I actually had (the above being every dread I own) and wasn’t really trying to fine tune this thing.

Lost the first game 16 to 10, against a guy with a bunch of demons (mostly Tzeentch), a lord of change, Ahriman, a c-beamer contemptor, and three disco lords. I went first (hey, only ten drops, I don’t get to go first much as Salamanders), spiked two of the three disco lords on turn 1, took the last down to three wounds. If three had gotten in first turn, against my list, I’d have had a big problem. One still did and ripped up a redemptor. After that it boiled down to the ‘how long can his board control last’ game... and the answer was, long enough when you bring 30 plaguebearers - even when I have four melee dreads going wild on them.

Second game was a death guard and demons list - couple demon princes, more plaguebearers, drones, blight hauler, those three-wheeled things. This dude and I both used the same kind of lucky none d6, both had B names, and both were wheat beer drinkers. I voted him for best player and he ultimately won the prize for it. Same overall pattern; I can kill real good but can’t hold objectives for poo poo, and he beat me on that 26 to 24. Close game, and a good one. This tournament was using Adepticon secondaries so I need to play the mission to win, which... yeah, not with my list.

Third game I felt actually kind of bad about. This TO typically makes the last game kill points, and the guy I was up against was playing a bunch of guard - two tank commanders with punishers, two guard gunships also with punishers, and I guess all of his anti-tank (aside from single lascannons in his leman russes) was this obscure thing from FW called a Typhon, which is I guess a super heavy version of a Vindicator. I go first and spike it from 28 wounds to 3, and it shits the bed next turn, only wounds my leviathan once and it bounces off the invuln. The whole rest of the game went like that and he only killed one ironclad, and I won 43 to 1. Just absolutely the wrong matchup and made me wonder if my dumb gimmick list was perhaps not seen as that by the other players.

Going first was a huge deal in the first and third games.

So I have both been you and the other guy. I’ve brought stupid FW Armored Company lists to casual tournies back in like 3rd or 4th, and played rando IG the same. The question is: did you both have fun? Like maybe at that last
one I wouldnt have tried to turbodelete the Typhon. On the flipside I would have laughed my rear end off and sent every single character into melee to try and get a ridiculous “powerfisted/stabbed-to-death” a dreadnought story out of it. It’s less a game thing and more a meta relation to your opponent. Like gently caress it, what is the most ridiculously fun thing I can do right now in a totally lopsided game?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

That thing looks terrible. Build your own.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Chiwie posted:

Start Competing: Genestealer Cults Tactics

Wing's details the ins and outs of GSC, who are kind of a thing metawise at the moment. Well worth a ganda.

Great write-up on GSC. I personally really rate the pauper princes, and think it's secretly one of the better cult creeds. The reroll all is very significant for hammerberrants (+1/-1 with primus) and picks/hypermorphs , since they dont have a cult banner, but also just in general. It often means that all claws and knives hit for acolytes. It's a pretty big boost to damage (something like 15% for a bog-standard group of 5 acolytes over just reroll 1s), and saves a minor amount of points in cult banners. It's especially good for when acolytes are not near your primus. I also love the Reliquary of Saint Tenndarc, I take it on my primus along with the alien majesty trait. Having an extra source of immune to morale is great, especially since I run two bigger groups of acolytes (one with 8 dudes + 6 rocksaws one with 9 dudes w/ handflamers + 5 democharges). I send in my primus with those two, as the patriarch will often be occupied elsewhere, giving them both extra attacks when they die and making sure I don't lose any to morale when the opponent fights back - which can sometime be a problem, even with non-fighty factions, since GSC has such low toughness and armor. The PP warlord trait is also really good.

I think PP is superior to twisted helix for a two main reasons: 1) the +1 str is very useful, but also situational, which is taken care of by the relic banner and might from beyond when necessary. +1 str is mainly good for acolytes against t4 (which, granted is very popular), since hammers are already 10 and picks are 5, and it doesnt matter against t3, unless you stack it and it'll probably already be overkill. If you look at the breath of factions you'll face, I feel pretty confident in saying that reroll all on charge, is a higher damage output than +1 str, especially since you have two other sources of +1 str. Maybe not in the case of double str buffed hammers/picks against t7 vehicles, but that can still be accomplished with might from beyond and icon together, if completely necessary. 2) the helix 'fight again' stratagem is at the end of the phase, which imo makes it a lot less useful than other fight twice abilities. For example, a knight will annihilate a group of aberrants before they get to fight again (making fight when dead the more useful option, in range of PP relic, and/or devoted till death strat), even with the fnp enhanced by iconward. I haven't fought a lot of stuff, outside knights, which survives the initial hammering anyway, maybe baneblades and such, I guess.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Coldbird posted:

I’m there not as often as I’d like to be. With work and kids I typically manage to only make it out there infrequently on weekends for tournaments and such, though I’ll probably try to start coming out here more frequently on weekends with a kid or two in tow. Since the event was a pilot for an every-8-weeks persistent score tournament thing hopefully I’ll be able to make it out there for each of those at a minimum.

On the subject of GSC, my list ran Twisted Helix and the +1S did come in handy a good number of times, allowing my acolytes to shred through T8 stuff like Leman Russes even without saws (which were also ridiculously effective at S10). With the psychic stimulus power, the +2 to advance is a significant bump, I made a good number of 12-14” moves + charges against unsuspecting units. It probably could have done it anyway, but it felt really nice to wound on 2s and one-shot an Armiger with an Abominant.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 15, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Raven Guard aggressors with a shadow master are loving bananas.

E: more so when the character they go with is a recitation of focus chaplain. I'm sure catechism of fire would also own but I only missed like 5 shots with focus up. 20 genestealers said goodbye.

JBP fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 15, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chiwie posted:

Video Game Retrospective: Space Marine

JB investigates the best 40k game, space marine. Also the crew has been ripping into this the last week or so in multiplayer. Always a good time imho.

That was a fun look back. Now make a miniature of Lieutenant Mira, GW you cowards.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I'm a huge dumb rear end but where could I find a link to the goonhammer discord?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

RagnarokAngel posted:

Thanks! I looked at their basic painting tutorials, which helped a lot, but I didn't realize they had Dark Imperium specific stuff as well. I'll check it out.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

ineptmule posted:

That thing looks terrible. Build your own.

Apparently FW agrees with you since they never released it. Build your own is the only option. :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think I might get a Deredeo next time one is selling cheap on eBay etc and give it a massive iron halo.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Played a 1K game against Chaos Marines last night. Wraithblades are hilarious when you make the charge and get 5 attacks each at S6 AP-3 rerolling all failed hits because one of the units is Slaanesh marked.

Also hellaciously durable at T6, drat.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

JBP posted:

I think I might get a Deredeo next time one is selling cheap on eBay etc and give it a massive iron halo.

Be careful. It's one of the more popular things that people recast, and there are tons of people reselling them on Ebay. If it seems too good...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Be careful. It's one of the more popular things that people recast, and there are tons of people reselling them on Ebay. If it seems too good...

As a general rule, if it's coming from Russia, the Ukraine, or China it's probably a recast. If it's coming from Etsy it's definitely a recast since that's what that site is for. If it's coming from Forge World it costs too drat much ($92 before shipping? Yikes!)

So yeah, it's a bit of a jungle out there. Watch your step. Unless you don't care about it being a recast and are willing to take your chances, in which case may the Emperor protect you.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Is the general consensus now that Ynnari = Bad?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I have half a mind to buy a load of recast out of print forgeworld models for display pieces

but then i look at my backlog

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

goose willis posted:

Is the general consensus now that Ynnari = Bad?

I think that needs to wait till the Phoenix book comes out.

Unless you mean competitive, in which that's probablly a yea.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Their old ability at the end of 7th was pretty overpowered, sure, but I just think it's the weirdest, most arbitrary balance correction to make them a melee-oriented army. My Dark Eldar friend really wanted to play them when he heard there was an update coming out, but he was really disappointed because he's mostly a shooting guy and liked the idea of being able to use psyker powers with his guys for once.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Have any existing blood angels or wolves gone primaris mode? I hope they do something interesting with their flaw interacting with the new goo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Fighting first is an extremely weak chapter tactic considering what you give up.