Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edward Mass posted:

I think last series would've sat better with me if the finale wasn't so blah. Maybe it's what I've been conditioned by RTD & Moffat, but BoRAK was a big ol' pile of un-fun dumb.

Resolution is a way better... well, resolution... to the series, and comes close enough to the season proper that I just think of it as the real finale.

I feel the same way about Last Christmas too, which is a fantastic capstone to Season 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Resolution isn’t on the box set, so I don’t count it as part of season 37. :colbert:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

LividLiquid posted:

I miss those big moments. Thirteen seems really down-to-earth and human by comparrison and all her stories are self-contained.

I kinda like the contast. After 12, a more human approach feels the right way to go - she's still somewhat oblivious and alien, but it fits.

Same for the general lack of an story arc, it's what I personally enjoy, just hopping in and out of a story. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea for 13's first series - the second maybe - because they attempt to loosely thread some of the stories together with the tooth guy and weapon planet, and it just falls flat on its face come the finale because it's literally a "Who are you? Oh wait yeah...really, you again" moment."

The structure and plotting are the big story killers of the last series IMO - it comes so close to having a pretty okay story, and then veers off at the last minute, or you're left hanging for a resolution that never comes, but feels like it should - i.e the stuff with Ryan's dad, antagonists that don't go anywhere. Then there's the fact that Yaz has bugger all to do and gets barely any development.

And the new tone does make some of the bad jokes stick out more - that random bit in Resolution where the internet goes down and the family goes "Oh no. Guess we'll have to socalise." v:geno:v

Still digging the general direction, though :shobon:

[e]:
Also finally listened to Ravenous 4 - thank god that's over - the series started out pretty neat but dragged its way to the finale.

First story is the boxset standard stand-alone with nothing to do with the others (fine, if a bit bog standard), while the other three interlink.

Planet of Dust has the Beevers Master trying to find a tomb of artron energy to survive, because at this point he's hosed and actually dying, with even his eternal pain numbing.

Day of the Master is the final two part, and another long-awaited crossover of the various Master incarnations, though they only really come together at the end - on form as always. And everything is tied together, even that goddamed magic man I hated in the Ravenous 3 - still dislike that, even knowing now where they were going with it and there is a nice little coda of the Masters together ensuring Beever's new regeneration cycle, and a little nod to the McQueen Master - who sadly doesn't appear. It's Missy going, "Hello, you." as Beevers regenerates :allears:.

Short version; it's one of the better Ravenous boxsets. I hope they change up the companions soon - Liv and Helen are okay, but honestly it needs a new dynamic at this point.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 15, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Resolution isn’t on the box set, so I don’t count it as part of season 37. :colbert:

They frequently gently caress up how they add the specials, putting them into the clearly wrong boxsets, and it makes me mad :mad:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Clearly, the answer is to wait until they put the Jodie Whittaker Years Blu-Ray box set when her era is over. They put out ones for Tennant, Smith, and Capaldi, and you don't have to worry about dumb-rear end singles taking up space.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

They frequently gently caress up how they add the specials, putting them into the clearly wrong boxsets, and it makes me mad :mad:
My first to round I missed all of Smith's Christmas specials and was so confused.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

i didn't mind when you'd wind up with them at the front of the next series' boxset, so like The Christmas Invasion in series 2 and so on. better than now where they just don't bother putting them in at all

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

My first to round I missed all of Smith's Christmas specials and was so confused.

On the plus side you missed The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe. But you also missed out on A Christmas Carol which is superb.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly despise A Christmas Carol.

I think twisting some one's personal history to suit your selfish needs and force them to change is a lovely thing to do, especially when it's against their own wishes or wants. The whole reason a Christmas Carol works is because Scrooge is having to confront his own past himself. He isn't being made to change, he's being made to realize that there is more to the world than his own narrow view. There's goodness in him from the start, it just had to be kindled and nurtured.

What the Doctor does is reprehensible and a low point for the character in my eyes.

I hate the entire contrived episode, the way it uses time travel, the way the Doctor acts and the unearned ending.

I will never understand why so many people are fine with that episode, but I won't rain on their parade either. I just cannot stand it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Burkion posted:

What the Doctor does is reprehensible and a low point for the character in my eyes.

I hate the entire contrived episode, the way it uses time travel, the way the Doctor acts and the unearned ending.

I will never understand why so many people are fine with that episode, but I won't rain on their parade either. I just cannot stand it.

Same-ish. I'm not super keen on The Girl Who Waited for similarish reasons

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pesky Splinter posted:

Planet of Dust has the Beevers Master trying to find a tomb of artron energy to survive, because at this point he's hosed and actually dying, with even his eternal pain numbing.

Is this in any way connected to the early main range audio Dust Breeding? Because I liked that one.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

On the plus side you missed The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe. But you also missed out on A Christmas Carol which is superb.
Years later, long after running out of new Who sometime during Capaldi's run, I discovered Carol's existence and was overjoyed. Watched it for the first time on Christmas.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fil5000 posted:

Is this in any way connected to the early main range audio Dust Breeding? Because I liked that one.

Aside from Dust in the titles and bookending the begining and end of the Beever's Master - none.

It's okay, but it's primary function is to set up the events of Day of the Master. Which I enjoyed.

Also, yeah, really don't like the Christmas specials for the most part - always been a bit of a humbug, and always found the Moffat ones mawkish and kind of unwatchable.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Re Christmas Carol: it's worth bearing mind that Kazran basically owns the planet he lives on, and once they realised the only way to save the day was to release Abigail the really moral course of action would have been for the Doctor to kill Kazran, then release Abigail, then release everyone else in the ice, then falsify Kazran's will so all his money was redistributed to the people. So if I was Kazran I'd be thanking my lucky stars that I only got my timeline messed with a bit

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

Re Christmas Carol: it's worth bearing mind that Kazran basically owns the planet he lives on, and once they realised the only way to save the day was to release Abigail the really moral course of action would have been for the Doctor to kill Kazran, then release Abigail, then release everyone else in the ice, then falsify Kazran's will so all his money was redistributed to the people. So if I was Kazran I'd be thanking my lucky stars that I only got my timeline messed with a bit

Yeah that justifies the violation of self and identity and the complete ruination of ones own personal history

Also in all that time the Doctor spent dicking around with Monroe, he could have made a teeny tiny stop over at *ANY* hospital in the entire universe at any point in time to get Abigail to NOT die to NOT teach an old man about not being an rear end in a top hat.

Shame there wasn't any time for that I guess, nope let's just let her die to prove a point about something something hey I'm going to just completely up-end your entire sense of continuity and reality, have fun with that.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I saw this so now you all have to too.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I didn't hate the Doctor Mysterio Christmas Special there I said it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

docbeard posted:

You might be the only one.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I think Doctor Mysterio's just kind of one of those "eh okay, it was a Doctor Who story" kind of deals. There's that appalling moment at the start where the Doctor doesn't save a dude which I think makes it feel a lot worse than it would otherwise as a story, but I can't say I hate it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

There's that appalling moment at the start where the Doctor doesn't save a dude which I think makes it feel a lot worse than it would otherwise as a story, but I can't say I hate it.

Yeah, that bit completely ruins the whole thing for me. That’s not in the Doctor’s character at all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I have yet to enjoy a single DW Xmas special :shrug:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I have yet to enjoy a single DW Xmas special :shrug:

the next doctor is the only half decent one
emphasis on the “half”. the giant cyberman nonsense really drags the episode down.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Christmas specials are an odd one, since it's basically the only time the rest of my family watch Doctor Who. I tend to judge them based on how embarrassed I am to have to watch it with non-fans. By that metric, Christmas Carol probably gets the best pass. I also enjoyed Doctor Mysterio purely because my nephew was old enough to watch it properly and loves superheroes, so he was really into it.

Last Christmas was pretty good as a concept, but I'd have preferred it as just a regular episode instead of being gummed up with the Christmas theming. I also remember it being way too complicated for how overfed and half-cut I was by that point on Christmas day.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I think Doctor Mysterio's just kind of one of those "eh okay, it was a Doctor Who story" kind of deals. There's that appalling moment at the start where the Doctor doesn't save a dude which I think makes it feel a lot worse than it would otherwise as a story, but I can't say I hate it.

But he also has that bit where he just explains how he's gonna clown the baddies, so meh.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like Husbands of River Song, although some of the early scenes are particularly grating.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

docbeard posted:

I went from 'it was okay' to 'actually that was pretty good' when I found out that they spent the entire special using cinematography and effects techniques from Christopher Reeve's Superman and Adam West's Batman.

Because they didn't know how to do superhero stuff on their budget or timeframe (I guess they couldn't just learn from Supergirl), but they were using that stuff as inspiration anyway, so why not do it how they did? It worked back then!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Even the shittiest nuWho stories have moments of brilliance. I didn't like Doctor Myserio so much, but that's probably because it was a special I waited a year for and wouldn't get more after for a long time, but 12 pulled a glass of water out of his pocket and was super fun to watch just-a-bein' The Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love Last Christmas, and the final shot of the excited Doctor and Clara rushing down to the TARDIS to go on more adventures was a perfect ending for a Christmas special :3:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

docbeard posted:

Twelve offered to do it to Bill too until she was all "yeah, gently caress that," but that (particularly in conjunction with the way Twelve and Clara's story ended) felt like something a lot more specific and deliberate than "Moffat loves erasing peoples' memories".

Doctor Dances had its happy ending be based around the little boy "remembering" who his mummy was.

The entire concept of the cracks involved people forgetting about their loved ones after they were erased, with the ending to the season based on Amy's memories.

Beast Below as mentioned.

The Silence were all about forgetting things.

TinTower posted:

I saw this so now you all have to too.

I can totally see Eleven excitedly telling that last one to Amy as she shakes her head at him.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
"A man is the sum of their memories"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I love Last Christmas, and the final shot of the excited Doctor and Clara rushing down to the TARDIS to go on more adventures was a perfect ending for a Christmas special :3:
It super was. So much that it made me hate that song a lot less.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

I can totally see Eleven excitedly telling that last one to Amy as she shakes her head at him.

Couldn't resist:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

do you want me to get the memory worm

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
No, not the memory worm. :geno:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

https://youtu.be/UeA8L1y6fQM

:perfect:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is that India Fisher doing the narration? :swoon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Is that India Fisher doing the narration? :swoon:

It is!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Any US residents get their Pertwee S10 Blu Ray set? I got mine, but it didn't have the cardboard slip sleeve that the previous 3 had, and am wondering if they're all like that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

They can't even put Doctor Who up on Amazon without it being weird and obtuse as hell. 15 different TV promos counting as their own season and episode, christmas specials being divided into their own confusing pages forcing you to jump back and forth between season pages and specials for one year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Khanstant posted:

They can't even put Doctor Who up on Amazon without it being weird and obtuse as hell. 15 different TV promos counting as their own season and episode, christmas specials being divided into their own confusing pages forcing you to jump back and forth between season pages and specials for one year.

To be fair, Amazon's entire user interface loving sucks.