Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

can you even buy this game on steam yet? it's still shows "COMING SOON" on my wish list. do i literally have to wait until 10a PST tomorrow to buy the drat game? i'd rather pre-load it so i can play it when i get home from work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Freaking Crumbum posted:

can you even buy this game on steam yet? it's still shows "COMING SOON" on my wish list. do i literally have to wait until 10a PST tomorrow to buy the drat game? i'd rather pre-load it so i can play it when i get home from work

Correct, devs have said no preload.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

babypolis posted:

i feel like im going to speed an entire evening just figuring my character build tomorrow. i cant loving wait

the one thing I feel might be a misstep is making your two health bars specific-skill-dependent

going 1 on psyche and/or phys is a dangerous decision

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the one thing I feel might be a misstep is making your two health bars specific-skill-dependent

going 1 on psyche and/or phys is a dangerous decision

There are some spoilers above which detail the ways in which devs chose to mitigate this concern. Also people are saying healing items are used to automatically when your last hp/morale is about to drain.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

god drat it

ZA/UM, put some art on posters, I am totally buying your poo poo

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

babypolis posted:

i feel like im going to speed an entire evening just figuring my character build tomorrow. i cant loving wait

Im going to use a random number generator.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Alternatively I will model my character after Detective Frank Drebin from Police Squad

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

how much does this dang game cost,

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Sphyre posted:

how much does this dang game cost,
40 bucks my dude,

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oh my god, I didn't realize this was loving coming out so soon and tomorrow even.

I remember reading about this years ago, I'm so pumped holy christ this is practically my dream game.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
video game being compared favorably to planescape torment in which chapo trap house hosts did voice acting bits

it honestly seems like something designed to be set out for me as a lure and when I try to go grab it, a wicker cage falls down on me from the ceiling

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

terrorist ambulance posted:

video game being compared favorably to planescape torment in which chapo trap house hosts did voice acting bits

it honestly seems like something designed to be set out for me as a lure and when I try to go grab it, a wicker cage falls down on me from the ceiling

I really am eager to hear the story of how that particular collab came together.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

for anyone that's familiar, how are the non-dialogue sections of the game? i ask because i see so many people comparing this favorably to PS:T and I honestly just didn't enjoy that game. i know it's heresy to play pc rpgs and not like PS:T but it was too many walls of uninterrupted text and the tiny amount of D&D combat that did exist wasn't tactically interesting.

does this game (outside the wacky dialogue) play well? i'm suddenly worried that it's going to be another PS:T-style glorified visual novel with only the most minor contrivances to make it technically count as a game

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

for anyone that's familiar, how are the non-dialogue sections of the game? i ask because i see so many people comparing this favorably to PS:T and I honestly just didn't enjoy that game. i know it's heresy to play pc rpgs and not like PS:T but it was too many walls of uninterrupted text and the tiny amount of D&D combat that did exist wasn't tactically interesting.

does this game (outside the wacky dialogue) play well? i'm suddenly worried that it's going to be another PS:T-style glorified visual novel with only the most minor contrivances to make it technically count as a game

There isn't really anything outside of dialogue. It's walking around and dialogue.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i'm suddenly worried that it's going to be another PS:T-style glorified visual novel with only the most minor contrivances to make it technically count as a game
It's a glorified CYOA visual novel/adventure RPG, except without a separate combat system this time (combat's just another kind of "conversation"). If you don't want to putter around gathering junk and talking to a lot of NPCs, this isn't likely to be your jam.
(A lot of people WANTED Torment to ditch the perfunctory fights in the first place, though.)

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Try watching people play on Twitch, if you don't like it there, maybe you will not like playing it. Text-heavy games are not for everyone, no matter how good in their own way they may be. If you don't enjoy good writing, then the main point of this game is kinda lost.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Hogama posted:

It's a glorified CYOA visual novel/adventure RPG, except without a separate combat system this time (combat's just another kind of "conversation"). If you don't want to putter around gathering junk and talking to a lot of NPCs, this isn't likely to be your jam.
(A lot of people WANTED Torment to ditch the perfunctory fights in the first place, though.)

for real, there's not even the minimal "battle starts here's hexes on a map manage your AP on your turn" type of combat? i figured they'd at least have something akin to the latest harebrained shadowrun games or something (not super in-depth but enough options to make it feel valid).

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

nope, everythings resolved in the dialog system.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Freaking Crumbum posted:

for real, there's not even the minimal "battle starts here's hexes on a map manage your AP on your turn" type of combat? i figured they'd at least have something akin to the latest harebrained shadowrun games or something (not super in-depth but enough options to make it feel valid).

Nope.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/05/04/combat-failure-and-raising-the-stakes-in-disco-elysium/

quote:

Building on that thematic foundation, Disco Elysium treats its handful of combat encounters as a high-stakes extension of its dialogue systems, backed up with unique animations for each possible outcome during each turn taken. Each round of action (called a ‘whirl’ by the developers, presumably to separate it from any hard-defined period of time) begins with time pausing and ends with everyone taking action. You’re allowed multiple analytical, introspective or even dialogue options per whirl, letting you figure out your next move after consulting with your own party and personal collection of inner voices on what skill check would be your best bet.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

well poo poo

it's funny, i hated the D:OS2 combat because, while there were conceivably a poo poo-ton of different ways to play the game, there were only a few ways to play optimally (or else a few that just completely derailed all pretense of challenge) and i didn't enjoy it enough that i stopped playing shortly after escaping the jail island. so it's not like having an elaborate combat system is a guarantee that i will like the game anyway.

at the same time, when pillars of eternity 2 was released, i actually liked the non-combat ship-to-ship encounter system, which was essentially just a big CYOA thing. i've even said i would play an entire game that was just the PoE2 scripted challenge encounters, so maybe this will scratch that same itch.

i guess thanks for the heads-up. having that expectation set up from might help me get in the right headspace to enjoy the game.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

There are a lot of tactical combat RPGs already. It will be nice to see something that chooses to focus on something else entirely.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Disco Elysium is doing what I wished a lot more RPGs would do and ditch the D&D combat.

You can totally have an RPG without a combat system, having to always have one has been holding the genre back for decades. Hopefully Disco Elysium can change things.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Agreed. I will say they usually don't detract too much from the game. Numenera's was fundamentally fine but needed a bit more work on presentation, for example (underrated game that got brigaded with negative reviews due to Kickstarter drama - ugh), but I don't think I'll miss combat at all so long as there's a way to still have violence as an option - which there is here.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Oh yeah, Torment 2 had a lot of good ideas and was pretty underrated. Disco Elysium looks it will take what Torment 2 started (Lack of combat focus, failure can still be interesting, etc) even farther.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Accordion Man posted:

Disco Elysium is doing what I wished a lot more RPGs would do and ditch the D&D combat.

:same: Don't get me wrong, I like me some RPG combat, but DE and games like it don't really need anything like that.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

So i just stumbled upon this thanks to a rec, game systems look cool!

But what’s the game actually about, is there a plot/story? And is it not just grimdark/mysery?

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Avalerion posted:

So i just stumbled upon this thanks to a rec, game systems look cool!

But what’s the game actually about, is there a plot/story? And is it not just grimdark/mysery?

You are a detective in the city of Revachol (in a strange parallel world of sorts), and there is a homicide investigation. You wake up in a hangover and have to piece things together from there, including piecing together your own mind. The world is deep and full of lore, which you can explore through the game. The game is funny and really well written.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Oh look, another review came out.

quote:

So, you might be asking yourself, is there anything even remotely wrong with this game? And to be honest, I can’t really come up with a single negative thing, unless I have to wade down the good old tech issues part. Is that your thing? If it is, then know that I experienced a few soft locks that were solved after saving and then loading that same save file (seemed to be caused by the game getting confused after my detective woke up from a good night’s sleep), and that I also lost the HUD a few times (the solution here implied a full game restart, but no progress loss of any sort, so not a big deal either way). Do keep in mind that these issues might not even be present in the version of the game you get to play, as I was playing an earlier build for review purposes.

Aside from these two very minor tech issues, my time with the game has been pretty much perfect. Disco Elysium is an unforgettable journey that shouldn’t just be experienced by all RPG fans, but by anyone who has ever played a videogame.

Verdict: 10/10 (Excellent)

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Excited to finally play this game.

Think I'm going to do a Colombo type detective, high intellect and high psyche. I'll probably dump physique and hope my winning personality can stop people from beating me up.

Then next playthrough just be a drug-addled nut blundering around listening to supernatural intuitions and getting into street fights.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/di2yxq/disco_elysium_review_thread/

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

quote:

Been playing this one for a while now. It's the best game of the year. Took me around 45 hours to beat and I went with the 'Dumb but strong' build as I knew the game would be dialogue heavy and I wanted to see how much of a struggle it was. I 'died' by having a conversation with a fat intellectual 'mob boss' who persuaded me to give up my job as a detective and there was nothing I could do to stop it! 10/10.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its absurd to me that a small indie team can release a nearly bugless 60 hour rpg while every major game studio releases buggy messes

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
So is it out yet? I'll be finishing work in ~4 hours and want to inject this poo poo directly into my eyeballs asap.

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003

grate deceiver posted:

So is it out yet? I'll be finishing work in ~4 hours and want to inject this poo poo directly into my eyeballs asap.

Noon CST roughly

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

grate deceiver posted:

7 hours from now

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Davincie posted:

its absurd to me that a small indie team can release a nearly bugless 60 hour rpg while every major game studio releases buggy messes

There have been a few minor bugs reported, but they are fixing those. Save frequently though, to be sure.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

"Minor" is a pretty key word here though I feel, especially in comparison to most other RPG releases that tout heavy branching and C&C as major selling points.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Davincie posted:

I'm guessing the gameplay scope helps with that, though even without needing to really worry about AI or whatnot, it's pretty amazing that a game with so many subtle flags that can shape dialogue trees has been so coherent for reviewers.
(It might break more regularly once it's out in the wild; that's when you get the largest stress test with the widest pool of hardware, after all.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's almost certainly going to be some progression-destroying glitch hiding in plain sight, there always is with these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Holy poo poo reviews. Are you telling me something might contend with 3 Houses for my GotY?