Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How's the community for the game these days?

I played the absolute crap outta DS3 on PS4 from launch up through all of the DLC, but I haven't played in about a year or so, and I've barely played at all on PC.

I'm trying to get back into games that don't require a subscription to play, so Dark Souls is high on my list. I've got probably 1000+ hours in the series across platforms, so I'm sure it'll come back like riding a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I just played through it on NG and had no trouble finding summons for the entire base game and DLCS

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How do I beat the three sentinels in Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin? I beat the first one no problem. The second one is initially no problem either, but eventually the third one jumps on to the small area I start out in as well. I jump down to the floor but I can never get a hit in as they are both either always attacking or walking toward me to strike.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 12, 2019

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

How do I beat the three sentinels in Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin? I beat the first one no problem. The second one is initially no problem either, but eventually the third one jumps on to the small area I start out in as well. I jump down to the floor but I can never get a hit in as they are both either always attacking or walking toward me to strike.

Blunt damage like the mace lets you damage race them better, and otherwise it's either waiting until they both leave you an opening, or bringing a summon (player or NPC) to even the odds - if in no other sense, then at least to keep the enemies distracted and not constantly focused on you.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

How do I beat the three sentinels in Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin? I beat the first one no problem. The second one is no problem either, but eventually the third one jumps on to the small area I start out in. I jump down to the floor but I can never get a hit in as they are both either always attacking or walking toward me to strike.

They move pretty slowly, most of the time. As long as they're not joined hip to hip, you should be able to bait an attack from one of them, dodge and counterattack before the other one gets in range. Their leap and spin attacks are their only moves that cover ground quickly (other than the shield throw, which each sentinel can use only once per fight), so learn the tells for those and make sure you keep both of them in view whenever you move in to attack. If they do stick close together, you can engineer an opening by positioning yourself so both of them will reach you simultaneously and then dodging both their attacks (probably backwards, since they most likely won't be in perfect sync and you can't rely on i-frames to avoid both attacks). You want them to be side by side rather than having one stand before the other, is what I'm trying to say here. Whenever one of them uses the big overhead slam, that one will be immobilised for approximately 50 years, giving you plenty of time to either dodge and counterattack or to go hit the other sentinel. Retreating out of range is a better avoidance strategy than locking on and circlestrafing, so don't let them herd you into a corner.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, you just gotta be careful and find openings to attack. You will always end up fighting 2 at once.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

DS2 thread

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

A sturdy shield with high stability (like the drangleic shield) is a huge help in that fight, if you're not using one already. Obviously you can't turtle forever, but most of their attacks don't take off too much stamina and the shield gives you a lot more leeway in positioning yourself and seizing openings.

The ruin sentinels were a really tough fight for a lot of people when the game came out. I must have tried almost 30 times (DS 1 and 2 were the first 3d action games I ever played). The last time I played DS 2 I could kill them more or less without getting hit. They actually have very slow and predictable attacks with clear openings that are easy to dodge just with good positioning, but it takes a lot of practice to get used to them.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Blunt damage like the mace or club, the pilgrim bellclaire as a distraction. Apply a weapon buff before you head in, dps down the first sentinel on the ledge. Draw the second one still on the ledge, get some damage. When three gets close, jump down — the silvercat ring helps for this — and you can kite the two remaining sentinels apart. Get down to 1 and you’ll be home clear.
Also, agility to 99 always.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I made the mistake of looking at some Dark Souls meme threads. What's everyone's issue with Dex builds?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Literally nothing. It's a spin on ages-old machismo jokes about how if you're not swinging massive weapons around you aren't manly (and that's bad)

I've also seen some people under the strange impression that dex builds are easy mode and true gamers play str

Oh, and a third possibility is that everyone is just parroting this video which seems to be the source of about 90% of the "jokes" online about dark souls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA8odjCzZ4

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Just play a xharacter that you love, Dex is just as valid a playstyle as everyone else.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Literally nothing. It's a spin on ages-old machismo jokes about how if you're not swinging massive weapons around you aren't manly (and that's bad)

I've also seen some people under the strange impression that dex builds are easy mode and true gamers play str

Oh, and a third possibility is that everyone is just parroting this video which seems to be the source of about 90% of the "jokes" online about dark souls

Urghl. It was even lamer than I had feared :negative:

I play a Dex buildt as my second playthrough, and it's not that different from a Str build. I just use different weapons and wield them two handed instead of using a shield. Irithyll rapier is a fun weapon!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Amppelix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA8odjCzZ4

I don't know if this is still the case for DS3, but in DS1 Dex was in most cases straight up better than Str because weapon buffs (like Darkmoon Blade and Sunlight Blade) and weapon properties (like bleed/poison) did flat amounts of damage/applied flat amounts to the debuff bar, so a weapon that hit more often was better than a weapon whose base damage was higher.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Realistically in ds1 str is a lot better for pve because you stagger enemies way easier with big weapons, which lets you attack a lot more safely, while dex is better for pvp because fast weapons are essential vs people who know what they're doing at all

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So I just reinstalled Dark Souls 3 on PC, having done by far most of my playing on PS4.

However, I'm having an issue whereby whenever I try to load the game, it tells me it can't connect to the network.

I'm connected to my router via ethernet, and Windows didn't prompt me to allow/deny anything in the firewall. Not to mention that I'm able to browse the internet just fine.

I'm assuming I didn't somehow get banned, I never did any modding of DS3 and I don't have any VAC bans, so I'm at a loss for what to try next. The game doesn't really give you any network options.

E: I restarted steam and its working now, so who knows :shrug:

Annath fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 16, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Steam goes down on Tuesday I think.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
There's no way to transfer a PS4 save file for use on the PC is there?

I mean I assume not, but I figured I'd ask in case its somehow possible. I started a new character but maaaaan not having all my cool weapons and armors is a pain.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Free yourself from the burden of repeated NG+ playthroughs, my friend, and embrace dozens of new characters, and the problem solves itself.

But no there isn't.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Tbh I just want to play through the game with a fancy dress pyromancer wielding the Demon Scar or whatever that Sword/Flame is called, without risking getting banned using CE to spawn it in.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Annath posted:

Tbh I just want to play through the game with a fancy dress pyromancer wielding the Demon Scar or whatever that Sword/Flame is called, without risking getting banned using CE to spawn it in.

I'm still kinda pissed over how bad every weapon catalyst was aside from Demon's Scar and the Heysel Pick. I still can't figure out what they were going for with the Golden Ritual Spear.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You will not get banned for giving yourself a weapon. Drop an item and use CE to turn it into demon's scar, it's fine.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Am I the only one who actually enjoys the Cursed-Rotted Greatwood fight?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's just a little frustrating sometimes if I have a lovely weapon for it. Like, if I have trouble swinging and hitting the pustules.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Treeballs feels like gimmicky fight. It’s a fight where the main enemy is the camera, and I’m not a fan. But with a fire weapon and a few points into Stamina, it’s alright.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
"A few weakpoints to destroy" is a good way to have the player fight a giant enemy, but it works better if the destroyable parts can be locked onto and aren't too annoying to hit.

Rotten greatwood is fine, but it would be better if more weapons could reasonably reach the higher balls and you could lock onto them.
On the other hand, Wolnir does let you lock onto the weak points individually, but he's really just a casualty of being too drat fast to kill. He's ds3's pinwheel, except sometimes people who don't know to hit the rings actually die to him.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It's just that the fight is always almost the worst fights in the series. I'm always baffled by that.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

I love it. My first time playing through the game was amazing, I probably offered my summon 10 times after I beat it to get some XP and help others out. It's just a big dumb fairly easy fight where you cut the balls off a giant tree. Two phases, big obvious telegraphs, a good mix of grabs and AoE attacks to worry about, multiple ways to win. Great early boss design :haw:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

punk rebel ecks posted:

In retrospect it wasn't that bad of a fight. The whole battle evolves fluidly as it keeps going and boss itself changes over time. Admittedly it took me too long to figure out what I was doing in the first place, but I felt like I was making significant progress every time I came back to the fight. Which is contrast to some more "hit this brick wall until you win" type bosses.

Even though I didn't love the fight, I'd still put it above several other fights.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's very good

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tree balls is visually glitchy af and needed a lot more time to make sure the fight looked and felt good. The feel is ok but it looks stupid as hell, particularly the phase change. Apart from that, it feels like a Demon’s Souls boss that slept through its alarm by ten years. It’s fine for what it is, but what it is is an easy gimmick fight.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

IronicDongz posted:

"A few weakpoints to destroy" is a good way to have the player fight a giant enemy, but it works better if the destroyable parts can be locked onto and aren't too annoying to hit.

Rotten greatwood is fine, but it would be better if more weapons could reasonably reach the higher balls and you could lock onto them.
On the other hand, Wolnir does let you lock onto the weak points individually, but he's really just a casualty of being too drat fast to kill. He's ds3's pinwheel, except sometimes people who don't know to hit the rings actually die to him.

i'm hard pressed to come up with any encounter in the whole souls series where the boss is a mostly immobile giant thing and it's actually a fun fight

dragon king in 2-3, bed of chaos and ceaseless discharge in ds1, duke's dear freyja and ancient dragon in ds2, greatwood and wolnir and wyvern in ds3 - they are all like 1 note gimmick fights that suck

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Freya is fine, wolnir is fine. Ancient dragon isn't immobile at all but he sucks anyway.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ancient dragon shouldn’t be fought. :colbert: he is a friend.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Bogart posted:

Ancient dragon shouldn’t be fought. :colbert: he is a friend.

Counterpoint: he has a boss health bar

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you attack him first.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Same with Vendrick and you can't even get the good end without killing him

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Bogart posted:

If you attack him first.
they're talking about the Ancient Wyvern, the boss you have to kill with a jumping attack in order to progress.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
No, we’re talking about 2. The ancient dragon who gives you the ashen mist heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Bogart posted:

No, we’re talking about 2. The ancient dragon who gives you the ashen mist heart.
ah
I was confused, since people had mentioned Curse Tree & Wolnir - thought people were talking about the Wyvern, because it's another one of DS3's gimmick fights