Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kaal posted:

LaRouchites don't have a coherent political philosophy, and their ideas vary wildly depending on the current issues du jour and the location of each group, but are nonetheless largely composed of Republicans.

Well, the ones I've dealt with always call themselves "independent," although they acknowledge that they vote straight ticket Republican in every election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Deteriorata posted:

Well, the ones I've dealt with always call themselves "independent," although they acknowledge that they vote straight ticket Republican in every election.

That tracks 1000% with the LaRouchites I've interacted with. They're broadly anti-establishment, but particularly any establishment that isn't sticking it to the Jews / gays / blacks / "counterrevolutionaries". They tend to thrive in liberal areas where openly being a Republican is going to be met with disgust, but there's more tolerance for conservative ideas couched as "alternative thinking" and political independence.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Is this supposed to be an avocado?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

This is mostly true of non-Larouche Republicans, too.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

Is this supposed to be an avocado?

Chop the head off and it's a decent representation.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

LaRouchism is basically American Perónism, but a million times less successful

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Phanatic posted:

This is revisionism in the plainest sense. LaRouche started as a *leftist* movement, and LaRouche himself was a Marxist.

The LaRouchies want to reinstate Glass-Stegall, nationalize the banks, put a moratorium on farm and third-world debt, nationalize the steel industry, and implement FDR-style infrastructure development. They also are global-warming denialists, thought the ozone hole was a hoax, wanted to quarantine AIDS patients, and opposed the Gulf War.

Cults don’t fit nearly on the whole Republican-Democrat axis.

They straight up support trump

https://larouchepac.com/20170725/appeal-americans-defend-trump-presidency

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't think anything sums up Germany's failed energy policies than this picture.

A lone wind turbine in front of the biggest open pit mine in europe, digging up horrible brown lignite to burn for power.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Chop the head off and it's a decent representation.

But the head is the best part.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Baronjutter posted:

Don't think anything sums up Germany's failed energy policies than this picture.

A lone wind turbine in front of the biggest open pit mine in europe, digging up horrible brown lignite to burn for power.
It's pretty impressive how huge a clusterfuck Germany can be while still remaining de facto head of the EU.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It's pretty impressive how huge a clusterfuck Germany can be while still remaining de facto head of the EU.

Did the Greens hold so much power that they forced the really bad decision to turn off the nukes?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

VideoGameVet posted:

Did the Greens hold so much power that they forced the really bad decision to turn off the nukes?

Yes, which then forced them to rely on coal. It was the biggest self own in the energy sector in the last decade.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

Fukushima happened, and every German Green Party's brain melted.

Its even funnier when you remember they are so stuck on this and Natural Gas they couldn't properly call out Russia out of fear of being cut off.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Also whatever the German for NIMBY is. Something profound no doubt

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yes, which then forced them to rely on coal. It was the biggest self own in the energy sector in the last decade.

How much of this is just fuckery on the part of fossil fuel billionaires? 98%?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Marxalot posted:

How much of this is just fuckery on the part of fossil fuel billionaires? 98%?

Not much really on this one as far as I know. The greens are just monstrously stupid and decided that coal was safer than nuclear.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If anti‐nuclear activism isn’t funded by coal money today, it’s because it doesn’t have to be.

They sowed the seeds in the seventies and eighties and they’re reaping the rewards now.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Platystemon posted:

If anti‐nuclear activism isn’t funded by coal money today, it’s because it doesn’t have to be.

They sowed the seeds in the seventies and eighties and they’re reaping the rewards now.

Can't argue with that.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Platystemon posted:

I know nothing about Germany and their Greens, but given that Natural Gas billionaires (The kochs, the wilkes', etc) are some of the most politically activist billionaire shitheads in the US I just kind of assume that a lot of the anti-nuclear stuff comes from either them or people very similar to them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Germany is also the target of pretty singularly aggressive Russian foreign-facing propaganda efforts, and given their energy ties that could be a major goal.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Wasn’t there something in the past where we couldn’t clean up or store nuclear waste properly?

I remember hearing how that was a problem near the Washington State Nuclear Power Plant but I think most of that has been solved.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

It's almost as if the trees between the fields and the hole are trying to spell the word "hilfe"

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Tab8715 posted:

Wasn’t there something in the past where we couldn’t clean up or store nuclear waste properly?

I remember hearing how that was a problem near the Washington State Nuclear Power Plant but I think most of that has been solved.

It's a purely political problem, not one of engineering or physics.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Marxalot posted:

It's a purely political problem, not one of engineering or physics.

It's a NIMBY problem

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

No, we can do both of those things. We choose not to

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's not that difficult, just need a mountainous area with no ground water or drainage systeme to store it at incase of leaks, and we already have a facility for this that isn't in use due to state nimbyism

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

Maybe you are thinking of the Asse II scandal? A nuclear end storage site started leaking and had to be cleaned out. It was one of the largest scandals of the 21th century in Germany.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asse_II_mine

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I mean, all we need is a place where people check the casks for damage and store them carefully, possibly with some guards. Nuclear power doesn't really produce a large volume of waste. It produces even less if you reprocess your fuel.

In fact, this may be a controversial opinion, but I'd honestly rather see a above ground constantly monitored internment facility than locking casks away in clay and concrete in some salt dome and burying it. You can react to any issues that may arise, and avoid a lot of nimbyism by just never calling it the final resting place.

Besides, in a hundred years maybe we'll use that spent fuel in a TWR.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
It’s more the lack of proponents than opponents holding back nuclear. Even small minorities can ban stuff if everybody else remain indifferent and over time that small minority will control the narrative because their voice is the only one heard.

So where are all the pro-nuclear folks at? Where are the activists and organizations fighting FOR nuclear?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
All of them are posting in this thread.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Owling Howl posted:

It’s more the lack of proponents than opponents holding back nuclear. Even small minorities can ban stuff if everybody else remain indifferent and over time that small minority will control the narrative because their voice is the only one heard.

So where are all the pro-nuclear folks at? Where are the activists and organizations fighting FOR nuclear?

At least in Germany, there had been a lot of pro-nuclear advocacy. At one point I remember that our entire school was assembled and had to listen to a long presentation on the safety and bright future of nuclear energy by charismatic engineers, scientists and PR people. Everyone got handed an expensive professionally created information folder to take home(supposedly to reach the parents). This is the only time I remember an assembly like this happening at our school( except for graduations etc.)

Truth is that the pro-nuclear lobby fought a hard war but lost. And it lost so completely and thoroughly that you can't bring up the subject up again for at least a generation. Public opinion against the nuclear phaseout was at 8% after Fukushima. Pro nuclear expansion opinion was probably much lower. You would have better luck advocating for the rights of rapists and pedophiles at this point.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Listen, if you can't see it, it's super scary okay?

That's why coal is fine. You can hold it in your hand.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think all nuclear waste disposal is hampered by everyone knowing that nuclear fuel can be reprocessed and there is a 100% chance we are going to want it all back, since the "no breeder reactor" stuff is all cold war and not something people care about much going forward. No one wants to hide or destroy a bunch of extremely useful fuel that has barely been used.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think all nuclear waste disposal is hampered by everyone knowing that nuclear fuel can be reprocessed and there is a 100% chance we are going to want it all back, since the "no breeder reactor" stuff is all cold war and not something people care about much going forward. No one wants to hide or destroy a bunch of extremely useful fuel that has barely been used.

Does that indicate the world has a limitless supply of uranium for nuclear reactors?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

VideoGameVet posted:

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Can you really blame Greens for that. In 2011 when Merkel's CDU announced the phase-out, the Greens were in opposition and had only 11% of the seats.

The history behind Germany's nuclear phase-out

quote:

When the CDU/CSU won the elections in 2009 and formed a coalition with the Free Democrats (FDP), they extended the operating time by eight years for seven nuclear plants and 14 years for the remaining ten. This became known as the “phase-out of the (nuclear) phase-out” (Ausstieg aus dem Ausstieg). However, in the wake of the nuclear catastrophe in Fukushima, Japan, the Merkel government decided in June 2011 to shut down eight nuclear plants and limit the operation of the remaining nine to 2022. Over 80 pe cent of parliamentarians voted for the bill in the Bundestag (federal parliament). Die Linke (Left Party) only objected because it wanted a faster exit and the measure’s inclusion in the constitution.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 15, 2019

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Land accessed subduction zone disposal.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Does that indicate the world has a limitless supply of uranium for nuclear reactors?
It's functionally limitless even without reprocessing. Uranium makes up something like 2% of the Earth's crust.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Tab8715 posted:

No but we have a shitload. It's hard to get numbers on how much of x or y mineral resource we have left because most numbers on the internet have a jupiter sized asterisk labeled something like "known/developed reserves". There's also the question of how much reprocessing you want to do, reactor design, etc. I've seen numbers ranging from 5 years to over a thousand. There's also the question of the future viability of thorium reactors, and we have an -enormous- amount of that.

e: also nobody ever asks how much easily available lithium is around to make endless amounts of batteries out of, forever, lmao

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 15, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Marxalot posted:

No but we have a shitload. It's hard to get numbers on how much of x or y mineral resource we have left because most numbers on the internet have a jupiter sized asterisk labeled something like "known/developed reserves". There's also the question of how much reprocessing you want to do, reactor design, etc. I've seen numbers ranging from 5 years to over a thousand. There's also the question of the future viability of thorium reactors, and we have an -enormous- amount of that.
Extraction from seawater basically makes the supply of uranium a non-issue.

It's more expensive than mining, but fuel cost is a tiny part of the cost of running a nuclear power station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Extraction from seawater basically makes the supply of uranium a non-issue.

It's more expensive than mining, but fuel cost is a tiny part of the cost of running a nuclear power station.

Catching a few parts per billion worth of uranium would be extremely hard. It's a lot more realistic to say that we'd be pulling in fissile material from space by the time it gets sparse enough in easily accessible parts of the crust to make that viable.

Hell, it's more realistic to say fusion will be everyone's favorite power generation method by then (ITER is supposed to go online soonish, and they have practically no budget)