Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hackan Slash posted:

I'm looking for a replacement laptop for a relative who had a stroke. They only use it to watch DVD's/streaming and use an internet browser. The main requirement is a nice screen and speakers. It won't really get moved so I don't think size is a factor and I'm tempted to go large for a bigger screen.

Also kind of related they have shaky hands, is there a good replacement for a mouse?

You might want to look into software solutions for using the mouse with shaky hands, I looked into this a few years ago for my mother and there is software for this kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Okay everyone talk me out of getting the 4k Razer Blade Stealth. Yes yes I know 4k is overkill for 13 inches but I want the glossy display.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Duck and Cover posted:

Okay everyone talk me out of getting the 4k Razer Blade Stealth. Yes yes I know 4k is overkill for 13 inches but I want the glossy display.

It's expensive and their support and long-term reliability are poor. That's...about all I got. Oh, I (personally) don't care for the keyboards, as they tend to have super-low key-travel.

Otherwise they're great laptops, really. The black aluminum frame looks fantastic, too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Are you the guy who literally only played engineer on payload maps in TF2 for six years straight

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What's a good option for someone with a shoulder tendonitis in terms of mouse? I thought the apple trackpad would be a good alternative but it seems like a lot of people complained about similar symptoms when using it.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Duck and Cover posted:

Get it! (And then post about the thermals and noise cause I want one real bad but I'm probably waiting for a hardware refresh)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would hold off on any unrefreshed razers right now until the new keyboard filters down to all models since it seems to be a significant improvement.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Honest Thief posted:

What's a good option for someone with a shoulder tendonitis in terms of mouse? I thought the apple trackpad would be a good alternative but it seems like a lot of people complained about similar symptoms when using it.

Assuming you have a smart phone, maybe one of those apps that turns your phone into a trackpad? That way you can position the trackpad wherever would be most comfortable for your shoulder. If that works for you you could get a deticated wired or wireless trackpad and stop using the phone. There are also vertical mice, but IIRC those are more for carpal tunnel than for tendonitis.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Assuming you have a smart phone, maybe one of those apps that turns your phone into a trackpad? That way you can position the trackpad wherever would be most comfortable for your shoulder. If that works for you you could get a deticated wired or wireless trackpad and stop using the phone. There are also vertical mice, but IIRC those are more for carpal tunnel than for tendonitis.

the thing with trackpad is I can't find any info on it that relates to helping alleviating shoulder tendonitis
in theory it should, since I'd be reducing my shoulder movements(?) but I dunno

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

the thing with trackpad is I can't find any info on it that relates to helping alleviating shoulder tendonitis
in theory it should, since I'd be reducing my shoulder movements(?) but I dunno

Yeah, no idea there, I'm not a doctor so I'm just going by what seems to make sense. If you can you should probably see a doctor and ask them for advice on how to minimize stress on your shoulder. Sorry I can't be of more help. :(

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Honest Thief posted:

Have you tried the Thinkpad nipple? You barely move at all when you're using that, let alone your shoulders.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

roomforthetuna posted:

Have you tried the Thinkpad nipple? You barely move at all when you're using that, let alone your shoulders.

when I had a lenovo it seemed cool, but I need a peripheral instead of a dedicated component of a laptop

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have you tried a trackball mouse?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Honest Thief posted:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mx-ergo-wireless-trackball-mouse

???

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Are you the guy who literally only played engineer on payload maps in TF2 for six years straight

I'm probably who you are thinking of but I did play other classes. I also played plenty of Torbjorn in Overwatch.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Have you tried a trackball mouse?

hmm maybe this could work, thanks

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are also other models, mostly by Kensington, with a centralized ball if that makes any difference.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

roomforthetuna posted:

Have you tried the Thinkpad nipple? You barely move at all when you're using that,

lol maybe thats your technique

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I recently ordered the Dell 7390 2:1 XPS, and when it arrived, there is a slight dent/protrusion on the outside cover on the screen side. It is near the center.

Is this a sign of something installed wrong? Should I return and get a new one?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

It's under warranty, so I'd take a photo and contact Dell about it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I'd like to see the photo please , out of curiosity, if that's cool

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

What is the customer support and build quality like for MSI laptops? I'm considering buying the new MSI Prestige 14 once it's been out long enough to have some proper reviews written about it, but I know the gaming laptops they make are more on the cheap end of the market. Ideally I don't want to buy something that will just drop dead in a couple of years.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I have only anecdotes but I bought a cheap Lenovo gaming laptop in 2013 that's still running fine to this day. Battery life is next to non existant now and I replaced the hdd with an ssd a year after I got it, and the wifi card died on me a few years ago so that's been replaced. Have a few chipped pieces of plastic here and there but it's held up rather well considering and still runs great.

Lenovo y410p

Obviously I don't game on it anymore, the last game I really put a lot of time in was Skyrim Special Edition when it relaunched a couple of years back. It mostly serves as a spare PC for another desk in my home right now.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 16, 2019

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I’m using an older surface and I like it, but it feels a little sluggish. Will I be happy with a new model? Is there a different brand I should check out? I use it for one note with a pen. A decent camera would be helpful too.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm on the hunt for 15inch gaming machine under 2000 CAD with RTX that I'll be traveling considerably with.

I've been eyeing the Nightsky RX15 with the following setup:

15.6-in 144Hz; FHD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
2.6GHz Intel Core i7-9750H

I skipped the hard drive and added Wi-Fi 6, which currently puts it at 1818 USD/2181 CAD, but with a 25% discount brings it to 1363.5 USD/1635.75 CAD. Barring any configuration challenges, I'm willing to buy and install my own SSD separately, and I have a Windows 10 key.

As much as I'd like to go for the MAG-15/MECH G2, shipping/duties/currency exchange puts this over 2K CAD. Y740 was something I wanted to consider, particularly since they have their 25% Legion sales, but I don't see the left sided macro keys and the power brick size as something I want to put up with.

Any alternatives worth considering vs Clevo PB51RF in Canada?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

M. Propagandalf posted:

I'm on the hunt for 15inch gaming machine under 2000 CAD with RTX that I'll be traveling considerably with.

I've been eyeing the Nightsky RX15 with the following setup:

15.6-in 144Hz; FHD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
2.6GHz Intel Core i7-9750H

I skipped the hard drive and added Wi-Fi 6, which currently puts it at 1818 USD/2181 CAD, but with a 25% discount brings it to 1363.5 USD/1635.75 CAD. Barring any configuration challenges, I'm willing to buy and install my own SSD separately, and I have a Windows 10 key.

As much as I'd like to go for the MAG-15/MECH G2, shipping/duties/currency exchange puts this over 2K CAD. Y740 was something I wanted to consider, particularly since they have their 25% Legion sales, but I don't see the left sided macro keys and the power brick size as something I want to put up with.

Any alternatives worth considering vs Clevo PB51RF in Canada?

One issue I'm seeing is that it comes with RAM configured in single channel unless you get 32GB, so you'll need to buy another 16gb for dual channel separately, you really don't want to be running in single channel.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

One issue I'm seeing is that it comes with RAM configured in single channel unless you get 32GB, so you'll need to buy another 16gb for dual channel separately, you really don't want to be running in single channel.

If anything, that's a good thing. RAM is finally pretty cheap again, and you should be able to drop an 8GB stick into slot 2 if you don't want to spring for a 16GB.

Do note, however, that at 5.5lbs (and with presumably poor battery life), it's gonna be obnoxious to lug around to work as a daily driver. If you are just moving it between hotel rooms or whatever, it should be ok.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isn't the mobile 2070 the one that's a terrible value? Especially for a $300 premium over the 1660Ti.

Edit: I was thinking of the mobile 2060.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 17, 2019

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
It gives you access to RTX functions, and is considerably faster than a 1660Ti. Whether 30-40% faster is worth $300 is a personal choice.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Looking at a workstation laptop for an upgrade at work, rather than building a new desktop. Currently eyeing the Thinkpad P1 Gen 2 with the Xeon E-2276M / 32GB RAM / 1TB SSD / Quadro T2000. A comparable Dell Precision is like $1K more from a quick look, pushing it over my max of $3k. Any other options I should consider?

My primary uses are going to be SolidWorks, Fusion 360, and Adobe CS. This will replace my current full time desktop. I suppose the 4K screen isn't a necessity, but it is definitely something I'd like to have. Also would prefer better portability even though it will spend most of its time sitting on my desk.

This is new territory for me, so please don't hesitate to steer me in a different direction if there's a better option.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Honest Thief posted:

when I had a lenovo it seemed cool, but I need a peripheral instead of a dedicated component of a laptop

There are thinkpad keyboards that are thrown into a case and sold as peripherals: amazon link.

I've got one in storage that I used for a few weeks before migrating to wireless logitech stuff. I could sell it as used hardware if you'd like.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

schmen posted:

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone here had some recommendations for a new laptop that might fit my needs.

For a while I've been using my surface pro 3, mostly for art and a little bit of work, but it's finally starting to die now, and I'm looking for something that gives me a good drawing experience as well as light gaming or work (aftereffects and blender, but nothing high end) I would totally get a new surface 7, but the lack of a clamshell really bugs me now, and I'm gravitating towards the sb2 since it has a bit of everything (including a dgpu and the ability to detach it), but that price is just ouch. Plus it's also 2 years old hardware and it's a bit of a turn off, sadly no new surface book from that Microsoft event so I'm guessing next year if they do.

Is there anything similar like it? Budget wise I really don't mind but wanted to see if there's anything similar to the surface book 2 in terms of usage with a detachable screen, light gaming gpu and a good pen that doesn't cost a ton.

Wants:
Good drawing experience
Light aftereffects / blender modeling
Light gaming (WoW and things like Stellaris/stardew)
Clamshell / detachable or 360 hinge
Budget: money not really an issue but like to know options

Thanks for any advice

I just did a lot of research and grabbed two 15" convertible laptops with active pen support: the Yoga 720 and 15.6" and the Inspiron 7590 15.6"

Basically I had the same requirements as you but I wanted to do some medium load dev work, medium gaming, I worried the Surface lines didn't have the power for less than $2k, and XPS 15 was getting mixed reviews.

The Yoga is great in all ways except battery life and heat management, even undervolting.

I've only had the Inspiron a couple days, but I'm impressed. 16GB DDR4, 512 SSD, 4.6 GHz i7, and a good enough dedicated GFX for $1250.

The stylus storage alone has made me fall in love already. Battery life is great under light load and way better than the Yoga under heavy load. Fan kicks on only when I boot up a game and heat management is tolerable though I always use a makeshift plywood lap desk so I don't roast the boys.

Keyboard is phenomenal too, both feel and almost full size numpad.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

I just did a lot of research and grabbed two 15" convertible laptops with active pen support: the Yoga 720 and 15.6" and the Inspiron 7590 15.6"

Basically I had the same requirements as you but I wanted to do some medium load dev work, medium gaming, I worried the Surface lines didn't have the power for less than $2k, and XPS 15 was getting mixed reviews.

The Yoga is great in all ways except battery life and heat management, even undervolting.

I've only had the Inspiron a couple days, but I'm impressed. 16GB DDR4, 512 SSD, 4.6 GHz i7, and a good enough dedicated GFX for $1250.

The stylus storage alone has made me fall in love already. Battery life is great under light load and way better than the Yoga under heavy load. Fan kicks on only when I boot up a game and heat management is tolerable though I always use a makeshift plywood lap desk so I don't roast the boys.

Keyboard is phenomenal too, both feel and almost full size numpad.

Looks like good hexacore notebooks are coming out these few weeks. I didn't know about the Inspiron one yet, but by your recommendation it'll probably be floating around work here soon.

The Yoga 720 is probably best (with no gaming) in the 13" range. Too bad the bios doesn't allow you to set _anything_.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m dropping another TB NBME drive into my laptop this week. Any other upgrades really worth making?
It’s got an i7 9750H, 16GB of RAM, a 256 GB NBME drive, a 1TB solid state drive, and a 1660GTX. I don’t even know if there’s anything else I can do to it short of doubling up the RAM to 32GB which seems kinda pointless.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m dropping another TB NBME drive into my laptop this week. Any other upgrades really worth making?
It’s got an i7 9750H, 16GB of RAM, a 256 GB NBME drive, a 1TB solid state drive, and a 1660GTX. I don’t even know if there’s anything else I can do to it short of doubling up the RAM to 32GB which seems kinda pointless.

I think that's about it. I really like the HP ex920. I got a 1TB with my new desktop build and liked it so much I got another one for my laptop.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Repaste. Use a paste with low pump-out effect, because laptop heatsinks have inherently low clamping pressure. I personally use Hydronaut.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

N*V*ME. Just because you did it twice. ;)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

N*V*ME. Just because you did it twice. ;)

gently caress, my old job of selling medical exam reviews comes back to haunt my brain again!

I’ll look into the new thermal paste, my laptop does run pretty drat hot. I’d love it if there were laptop cooling mats that did a bit more on the active cooling side than “a gentle fan”.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Are there any 2 pound laptops that are a little more powerful than my 12" Retina MacBook from 2017? It's the perfect size for throwing in my bag and working on Google Sheets/Airtable databases on the train or in a car to the airport, but it's just a bit too slow for the really big databases and the keyboard is, after all these years, still awful as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I personally use Hydronaut.

FWIW I've had good success with the IC graphite pad cut to die-size (1 year old 2015 15" MBP). Temps dropped a good bit from the dried out thermal paste and this should perform consistently until the end of time. Maybe not ideal if you're overclocking but it's as good or better than the factory fresh regular pastes. Just something to consider for devices where repasting requires you to take apart the whole computer.

space marine todd posted:

Are there any 2 pound laptops that are a little more powerful than my 12" Retina MacBook from 2017? It's the perfect size for throwing in my bag and working on Google Sheets/Airtable databases on the train or in a car to the airport, but it's just a bit too slow for the really big databases and the keyboard is, after all these years, still awful as ever.

Sadly these products kind of got displaced by chromebooks and tablets (Surface, iPad, etc.) with keyboards.

eames fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 20, 2019