Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan going,"I insist you answer my question on the double turn" and then immediately afterwards saying,"Well talk about whatever you want now, I'm done for the night" cracked me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

Bryan sounds exactly like J-Ru this morning :xd:

Came here for exactly this. WWE is actively breaking wrestling fans.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Bryan and Dave at least get paid to watch and recap bad TV, Jerusalem draws about as much money for his efforts as WWE superstars.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

J-Ru start the patreon

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Personally, I consider my posting to be support enough.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I wish Bryan and Dave did shows during the worst of WCW that were easy to access, but this is close enough.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

There are few things more wholesome and endearing than Dave’s love and want for better things for Chad Gable.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Hearing somebody say “shorty gable” makes me laugh but only at how pathetic wwe is

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Imagine being Chad Gable, stuck in a contract that sure maybe pays pretty well but probably not well enough to ruin your future career prospects

At least the people being put on the shelf and never used aren't actively on television being buried with an insulting nickname and made into a complete joke

Nobody benefits from that type of booking and it's just uncomfortable to watch someone ruined in real time

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Seams posted:

Hearing somebody say “shorty gable” makes me laugh but only at how pathetic wwe is

My favourite thing from this is apparently Sportskeeda have put up a listicle of 10 WWE wrestlers shorter than Shorty, which is about the right response.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's really amazing how utterly juvenile the WWE still remains when they take a look at someone talented like Gable who can suplex the gently caress outta people all day, and is a former Olympian, and decide that the best possible use of him is "LOL SHORT JOEK"

forkboy84 posted:

My favourite thing from this is apparently Sportskeeda have put up a listicle of 10 WWE wrestlers shorter than Shorty, which is about the right response.

I read through that and when I got to Drake Maverick I started thinking "which is worse, to be in a comedic angle where your wife is pissed at you for being more fixated on a goofy title belt than your marriage, or to be called short every week?"

It's a real puzzler to be honest.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Got back to listening to latest WOR and Dave deciding the end of Liger Suzuki meant "suddenly they are best buddies" is so dumb. Respect is not friendship.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Filthy 4 Daily was a good listen this week for just how absolutely done with the Smackdown draft show Bryan was during the recap.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Goddamn Bryan went off on WWE on WOL today. (Paraphrasing) "Soon Dave and I will be the only ones watching the full three hours of Raw."

e: Just finished the whole show and it's basically one big Bryan rant with Semp being creepy about Asuka at one point.

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 15, 2019

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

you know it's something when they post video of a good chunk of wol (again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4e_EeDx99U

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bryan ranted for so long the commercial music came up and he apologized to Sempervive because he got so carried away :allears:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bryan called Kairi "the cutest thing" and y'know what, :agreed:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Punch McLightning posted:

I wish Bryan and Dave did shows during the worst of WCW that were easy to access, but this is close enough.

It's more fun to listen to an interview with someone from 2000 WOLs and it somehow leads to a discussion of WCW being bad.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

It's really amazing how utterly juvenile the WWE still remains when they take a look at someone talented like Gable who can suplex the gently caress outta people all day, and is a former Olympian, and decide that the best possible use of him is "LOL SHORT JOEK"

I read through that and when I got to Drake Maverick I started thinking "which is worse, to be in a comedic angle where your wife is pissed at you for being more fixated on a goofy title belt than your marriage, or to be called short every week?"

It's a real puzzler to be honest.

Somehow not the worst wife angle in current wwe, or even in that title scene

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

It's more fun to listen to an interview with someone from 2000 WOLs and it somehow leads to a discussion of WCW being bad.

It's part of why the Rey Mysterio interview from back in 2000 was so cool when I listened to it recently. Paraphrased:

Meltzer: Oh here is breaking news, there is a racism lawsuit against WCW, the company you work for
Rey Mysterio: Oh yeah they're really racist :hai:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

forkboy84 posted:

Got back to listening to latest WOR and Dave deciding the end of Liger Suzuki meant "suddenly they are best buddies" is so dumb. Respect is not friendship.

I mean.

They went from "WE'RE GONNA loving KILL EACH OTHER IT'S NOT GONNA BE A WRESTLING MATCH" to having a wrestling match to thanking each other.

If his point was that the build didn't match the result, he's got a point.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MJeff posted:

Bryan called Kairi "the cutest thing" and y'know what, :agreed:
Her stomp to the corner/eye poke is one of the best things I’ve ever seen

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

MJeff posted:

I mean.

They went from "WE'RE GONNA loving KILL EACH OTHER IT'S NOT GONNA BE A WRESTLING MATCH" to having a wrestling match to thanking each other.

If his point was that the build didn't match the result, he's got a point.

nothing wrong with a respect spot at the end of that match imo

jesus WEP posted:

Her stomp to the corner/eye poke is one of the best things I’ve ever seen

ultimate heel move right there

El Phantasmo had one of the more subtle eye gouges in recent memory in the match against Osperay the other night, it's a drat art form

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Listening to the new Observer Radio and man, Dave is really hung up on the Bucks losing huh.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

njsykora posted:

Listening to the new Observer Radio and man, Dave is really hung up on the Bucks losing huh.

Dave is very proud of his handsome sons

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

njsykora posted:

I get the argument, and I don't entirely disagree, but they're also up against the 'WELL THE BUCKS, CODY AND KENNY ARE JUST GOING TO WIN ALL THE TIME' too. Someone would have complained no matter what they did. Hopefully they just put the belts on the Lucha Bros since they're totally credible and that allows a face team to chase for a while.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Is Dave just mad that his favorite team in wrestling didn't win or is he stubborn about the Bucks needing to use their start power and put over other newer teams first? The Bucks are also already in a feud with ex-LAX

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
his point seems to be that its a new expanded audience who needs to be introduced the bucks and that having them as inaugural title holders gives the belts credibility.

however i think that a. the bucks can be stars in ways other than being tag champs off the bat and b. that tag titles don't necessarily need the level of credibility the bucks would give them

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Dave is wrong

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

his point seems to be that its a new expanded audience who needs to be introduced the bucks and that having them as inaugural title holders gives the belts credibility.

however i think that a. the bucks can be stars in ways other than being tag champs off the bat and b. that tag titles don't necessarily need the level of credibility the bucks would give them

I think dave is expecting too much of a "new audience" its not like WWE where the crowds are quiet for certain dudes unless they're built up, Bucks are already over to the people in the crowd so it should make them realize they're probably a big deal.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I get where Dave is coming from, but it's not like the tourney is the Bucks and a bunch of Dark Order-level tag teams. Crowds react big to all the other teams in the tourney - that's enough for the home audience to come around on the others.

Plus, the Lucha Bros absolutely give the belts credibility and has the bonus of bringing in some of the AAA audience and/or gaining more Hispanic viewers.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Also helps that the Lucha Bros are objectively the better tag team and debatable the best tag team in the world.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Mind you, Dave also said that he thinks that Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy would be just as good winners of the tourney as Lucha Bro’s would. He gets that other people are over.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/ddkuester/status/1184564503477936129
I think it's just a photo but I desperately want Dave to be giving Skype lectures in his glorious hoodie.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
We got video of Dave's aluminum shed of wrestling tapes but I demand somebody document this man's wardrobe

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

I think dave is expecting too much of a "new audience" its not like WWE where the crowds are quiet for certain dudes unless they're built up, Bucks are already over to the people in the crowd so it should make them realize they're probably a big deal.

They had 1.4 million viewers in week 1. While many of these people were aware of the Young Bucks, they probably weren't huge fans. You want to introduce your biggest stars as actual stars or you risk becoming what WWE is where no one is a star and every show is just a slog that fans sit quietly through. They aren't mega stars to everyone yet and you risk not getting them to the next level if you don't portray them as next level.

Just like Chris Jericho is out there winning every week. He's the champion, he's the top star, he's not losing random matches to create new stars even though everyone knows who he is. I loved the finish of Bucks/Private Party but it's not crazy to think that it's too soon for the Bucks to be losing back to back weeks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Absolute highlight of WOR is Dave's brother watching 20 seconds of NXT, asking if it was minor league WWE, being told it is actually good and walking out.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

They had 1.4 million viewers in week 1. While many of these people were aware of the Young Bucks, they probably weren't huge fans. You want to introduce your biggest stars as actual stars or you risk becoming what WWE is where no one is a star and every show is just a slog that fans sit quietly through. They aren't mega stars to everyone yet and you risk not getting them to the next level if you don't portray them as next level.

Just like Chris Jericho is out there winning every week. He's the champion, he's the top star, he's not losing random matches to create new stars even though everyone knows who he is. I loved the finish of Bucks/Private Party but it's not crazy to think that it's too soon for the Bucks to be losing back to back weeks.

I liked the point Bryan made today, which is that the TV audience is going to take their cues from the arena audience, who are not new fans and are going to raucously cheer the Bucks pretty much no matter what. Between the crowd reactions and the way the commentators portrayed them, it should be pretty clear that the Bucks are stars.

MassRafTer posted:

Absolute highlight of WOR is Dave's brother watching 20 seconds of NXT, asking if it was minor league WWE, being told it is actually good and walking out.

This was hilarious, but it really is a jarring difference if you try to switch back and forth between the two shows.

wicka fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 17, 2019

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Every time I hear about Dave’s brother I think about how Dave didn’t get to main event his dad’s funeral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I love how defensive Bryan is of Marko :3: