Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Rolo posted:

Do lightning to LAN adapters actually work for iPads?

Yeah, there are some that have a an extra Lightning port so you can charge at the same time. USB C ones work too for the 2018 iPad Pros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

TheManWithNoName posted:

Yeah, there are some that have a an extra Lightning port so you can charge at the same time. USB C ones work too for the 2018 iPad Pros.

So an option just pops up in networking to use a hard line? I may get one and throw it in my bag for when the hotel has a hard line and piss poor WiFi.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Is there any way to revert to an older iPadOS update if 13 is massively messing up an older iPad? They're trying to go back to 12.3.1 (They're on iPad 5) if possible but even with a backup, it's proving quite troublesome.

Is there anything I can do to attempt to do this or is this impossible to do at this point?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Seiyal posted:

Is there any way to revert to an older iPadOS update if 13 is massively messing up an older iPad? They're trying to go back to 12.3.1 (They're on iPad 5) if possible but even with a backup, it's proving quite troublesome.

Is there anything I can do to attempt to do this or is this impossible to do at this point?

iPadOS only became a thing with iOS 13. Either way 12.4.1 isn’t being signed anymore so I don’t believe you can downgrade to it.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Skeezy posted:

iPadOS only became a thing with iOS 13. Either way 12.4.1 isn’t being signed anymore so I don’t believe you can downgrade to it.

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. Darn it... I'm not sure what to tell them. Alright, thanks for the heads up, it's appreciated.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Seiyal posted:

Yeah, that's what I was worried about. Darn it... I'm not sure what to tell them. Alright, thanks for the heads up, it's appreciated.

The only thing to hope right now is that Apple fixes it up as quickly as possible.

Speaking of issues with iPadOS has anyone been seeing this issue?

https://twitter.com/agiletortoise/status/1183404273528426497?s=21

I’ve been losing my mind over it but haven’t seen anyone comment on it except for this one guy.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Skeezy posted:

The only thing to hope right now is that Apple fixes it up as quickly as possible.

I’ve been losing my mind over it but haven’t seen anyone comment on it except for this one guy.

Yeah I’m having this issue, sometimes restarting the iPad works for a while but then it returns...

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I wondering if it’s something a full restore could fix but I don’t think so. Tbh I don’t want to deal with doing that.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Skeezy posted:

yup, been happening to me regularly. i have no idea how you gently caress up something like this so badly.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

It'd be nice if they could decouple suggested and recent apps for the dock.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

If you long press the non-working icons their name is displayed as “null” on the share option.

Doesn’t really help anything by knowing that but it’s a window into how it’s getting messed up, or something.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Seiyal posted:

They missed the boat by just a couple of days.
They should probably try a complete restore from original firmware and starting from scratch. iPad 5 ought to be OK on 13.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I love the desktop Safari. After all this time... the page navigation buttons on SA.com only require one tap to use! It’s going to take a bit to adjust to decent resolution but I think I can cope!

They somehow managed to make scrolling look and feel better too, and I didn’t think that was possible. That’s been frankly the biggest thing stopping me from even contemplating Android or any other mobile os really. The polish of iOS is just too good, and now it’s somehow even better. I am impressed.

Hands down the worst thing about iOS 13 is the change to cursor movement. It took me like 30 seconds to drop my cursor behind the period at the end of a sentence. That loving blows, because it’s the kind of thing I have to correct most often. Who in their right mind at Apple thought less precision in cursor movement was better? I’ve been playing with this a lot in the last few minutes and it really is terrible.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Skeezy posted:

I thought those icons were just for show. I’ve never had the recent apps dock icons work in iPad OS. To the point I thought it was a feature.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Lordshmee posted:

Hands down the worst thing about iOS 13 is the change to cursor movement. It took me like 30 seconds to drop my cursor behind the period at the end of a sentence. That loving blows, because it’s the kind of thing I have to correct most often. Who in their right mind at Apple thought less precision in cursor movement was better? I’ve been playing with this a lot in the last few minutes and it really is terrible.

This is driving me loving crazy, I type a lot on both my phone and iPad and this is the worst thing.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Lordshmee posted:

I love the desktop Safari. After all this time... the page navigation buttons on SA.com only require one tap to use! It’s going to take a bit to adjust to decent resolution but I think I can cope!

They somehow managed to make scrolling look and feel better too, and I didn’t think that was possible. That’s been frankly the biggest thing stopping me from even contemplating Android or any other mobile os really. The polish of iOS is just too good, and now it’s somehow even better. I am impressed.

Are you talking about the drag and drop cursor movement? I’ve found it pretty easy to just pick it up and let it go anywhere. No problems with precision at all.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Yeah. It used to be perfect and now it almost never lands where it looks like it’s going to on the first try. It used to almost click through each cursor position so you just knew where it would be. Now it’s just a guess. It sucks and I hope they change it back.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Played with a newer pro and now I’m really hoping we get a refresh this month like the rumors say.

Want a magnet charging pencil too.

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

Seiyal posted:

Yeah, my iPad Air 2 is really broken after the update. Can’t connect to Wifi and takes its time failing, or doing anything really. Part of me thinks I should upgrade - it is quite old, after all, and I was considering it anyway. But I’m damned if I’ll be spurred into doing it because Apple broke it!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Skeezy posted:

This has been driving me insane on my Pro but I keep forgetting to complain about it. Thankfully all the apps I want to launch which aren't already in my dock are in my siri suggestions when I flick down so just a little more effort than nothing required.

Outlook is the biggest culprit here. Seems like most apps work fine, but Outlook doesn't launch like 9/10 times I touch the icon in the side area.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Weirdly enough I haven't had that issue at all, even in the betas. My complaint with that part of the dock has always been the fact that iOS updates the icons after I'm already moving to tap one, and it'll often launch a different app that what I wanted (because I can't stop myself quick enough from tapping on the changed icon).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
11 inch pro 64gb is on sale on amazon for 674. If amazon actually had a navigable trade in program I’d seriously consider trading my 10.5 for this.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rolo posted:

11 inch pro 64gb is on sale on amazon for 674. If amazon actually had a navigable trade in program I’d seriously consider trading my 10.5 for this.

iPads tend to sell very well in good shape on the used market. If you wanted I’m sure you could get more from say Facebook marketplace than any trade in. This is obviously dependent on being able sink the cost or take the risk of selling before the sale ends.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I may do that, it’s just such a good price and I never use more than like 30gb on my devices anyways.

Anything for certain on the next pros that would be worth the wait? I don’t care about 3 cameras on the iPad but if there’s an upgrade to battery or screen rumored I’d probably wait.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

For some reason nobobdy bothers to make up juicy rumors about ipads like they do for phones and macbooks and earbuds

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Only rumor I’ve heard is that the pro gets an equivalent camera unit to the iPhone Pro, which I guess depends on how you feel about cameras on iPads and what you would do with them.

I’d imagine that upgrading the Air to a dual-camera system at the same time might help it better slot between the base model and the Pros. Right now the only thing it really has going for it is the display and I’m not sure that that’s enough now that the base iPad’s display is bigger and higher quality.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Anyone figured out how to search in the new desktop Safari for iPadOS? Used to be you’d just type into the address bar and one of the options would be “find on page” but that’s gone now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lordshmee posted:

Anyone figured out how to search in the new desktop Safari for iPadOS? Used to be you’d just type into the address bar and one of the options would be “find on page” but that’s gone now.

Are you sure? Did you swipe up on the drop-down?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
share sheet probably

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

stuffed crust punk posted:

share sheet probably

Yup. You might need to scroll down a bit in the list of stuff on the share sheet, but “Find on Page” should be there.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Lordshmee posted:

When you type something in to the address bar It shows up at the very bottom, under every other search/history drop down option, but if you’ve typed in a string that doesn’t appear in the page, it just silently disappears

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I sure am glad iPadOS went through all this rigorous testing

Thanks, TIM APPLE

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I sure am glad iPadOS went through all this rigorous testing

Thanks, TIM APPLE

At least you get All Inboxes.

Everything I do kicks me to one of my five inboxes after. Never back to all.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Clark Nova posted:

When you type something in to the address bar It shows up at the very bottom, under every other search/history drop down option, but if you’ve typed in a string that doesn’t appear in the page, it just silently disappears

It’s this. I don’t care for this change :colbert:

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

Lordshmee posted:

I'm convinced they did it just to infuriate me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lordshmee posted:

I don’t get this. I’m running whatever the latest iOS is and I can 100% always make the thing appear by swiping up on the drop down list. Most of the time it appears on its own. This is regardless of whether the search term appears in page.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Updated iPad pro to iPadOS and now faceID doesn't unlock the iPad. I mean, the little lock icon flips to open, but it still requires the passcode for every time I want to open the iPad.

Settings also constantly has a little (1) for some "Please enter your apple id password" thing to update... something. Doing that gets me a translucent box over the settings screen that eventually pops up a request for my passcode. Then the weird pop ups vanish and it's back to (1) like I never entered my password. No number of reboots fix this.

Thanks Tim Apple!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's been like three days since I restored my iPad from iCloud, why the hell is it still restoring? It won't let me update iOS nor back up to iCloud, and a restart didn't fix it.

My internet is plenty fast, and the backup wasn't that big to begin with anyway, so what the hell?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My iPad just told me that I can do a three-finger grab/drop gesture for cut/paste now, which owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When I’m editing photos do I want True Tone on or off? I thought on because I thought it adapts to the light showing me what I’m suppose to be seeing but I could be wrong.