Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Kaal posted:

Is there an updated economic guide out there? I keep playing Stellaris at high difficulties fairly well, but as soon as it gets into midgame my planets don't know what to do with the excess population and everything falls apart. Even when I can keep things working, it seems like it requires so much micro to ensure planets aren't filling up with useless pops or operating at massive inefficiencies, and I just quit and start a new game.

I'm also no good at this, but I find that making an ecumenopolis (you can get this by taking the decision to restore it on a relic world or by taking the arcology project ascension perk) gives you a planet that can support a giant number of pops, which should tide you over for a while.

I also like to play on tiny galaxies with 0.25x the normal number of habitable planets, which helps matters.

You could also just play as robots and turn off robot construction once you consider a planet to be "done".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, sometimes they make a game with pretty good foundational bones like EU4 and CK2 that can easily support years and years of DLC that mostly work (mostly). Stellaris has a garbage foundation so most of the new content has been building on top of a lovely foundation while also trying to desperately underpin the whole thing with each major update. They did a ton of learning on Stellaris, well I hope they did, as it was their first "4X" game. I'd rather get no major new stellaris DLC for a few years and have them work on Stellaris 2 than keep trying to fix and expand the current version.

I don't even think the base game is broken, like you and a few vocal others do. I'm just burnt out on the game that it is.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Libluini posted:

The Switch has a touchscreen, so it could still be touchscreen-friendly.

Yes that's exactly what I mean.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kaal posted:

Is there an updated economic guide out there? I keep playing Stellaris at high difficulties fairly well, but as soon as it gets into midgame my planets don't know what to do with the excess population and everything falls apart. Even when I can keep things working, it seems like it requires so much micro to ensure planets aren't filling up with useless pops or operating at massive inefficiencies, and I just quit and start a new game.

Are all your planets full? If do build habitats. If not resettle them to where you need workers.

In the mid game with most empires you should probably be centralizing alloy and CG production on a handful of Ecumenopoleis. Getting these up and running will nearly always involve a bunch of resettlement, but it's the most effective way to build your economy.

Also, never ever convert a Relic world to an Ecu. A Relic world with all it's research bonuses is worth way more than 20k minerals and 200 influence.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 14, 2019

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

PittTheElder posted:

Also, never ever convert a Relic world to an Ecu. A Relic world with all it's research bonuses is worth way more than 20k minerals and 200 influence.

Convert your relic worlds and replace all the alloy and commercial goods buildings on all your other planets with research labs. Build habs over resource deposits (hopefully not moons or asteroid belt based) and focus them on exotic production. Once your Dyson sphere is up, switch to 'subscribing' to exotics you need with a monthly market purchase order to fill any gaps your habs can't reach. Relic worlds once they're filled with buildings and pops are best converted since you've hit your limit of what you can do with them.

Labs can stay on your ecus too, 10% bonus is ok. My last game I got sling-shotted from middle to lead by getting 3 relic worlds (Fen Habbanis, Rubricator, and an archaeological site) once I was able to support full time researchers in all of the free slots they had, so don't convert them too early. Ecus take some support.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 14, 2019

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I don't convert to ecus until I have habitats rolling, and then I make the switch because they put out a shitload of alloys/cgs and can sustain a lot of pops, making them a prime target for the automatic pop migration mod.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kaal posted:

Turn on utopian abundance, now all of your unemployed pops aren't useless.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Useless pops? More like turn on your monitor.

The correct answer is Shared Burdens though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Useless pops? More like

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1184091635702997000

That's definitely a spin-off game considering the version number.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
CK2 in Space

Stellaris: now with people

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

If they make a CKII in space i'm already excited for the Dune total conversion.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Duodecimal posted:

Convert your relic worlds and replace all the alloy and commercial goods buildings on all your other planets with research labs. Build habs over resource deposits (hopefully not moons or asteroid belt based) and focus them on exotic production. Once your Dyson sphere is up, switch to 'subscribing' to exotics you need with a monthly market purchase order to fill any gaps your habs can't reach. Relic worlds once they're filled with buildings and pops are best converted since you've hit your limit of what you can do with them.

Labs can stay on your ecus too, 10% bonus is ok. My last game I got sling-shotted from middle to lead by getting 3 relic worlds (Fen Habbanis, Rubricator, and an archaeological site) once I was able to support full time researchers in all of the free slots they had, so don't convert them too early. Ecus take some support.

10% is ok, but it's not 30%. It's really cheap to convert a regular planet to an Ecu, and it's a great way to deal with planets with low district counts. I just don't see why you would convert your best planet type to a slightly better one, rather than a really crappy planet into the same. It makes no sense.

E: I just looked it up and you still have to pay the 200 influence and 20k minerals anyway? Then yeah it would be insane to convert a Relic world rather than just building a lot of city districts on an empty planet and converting that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Those city districts take a long time to build though and the relic world only needs to have blockers cleared.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The problem with infinite scientists is how quickly you end up running out of interesting techs and start getting hit with continual repeat tech spam notifications

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jack Trades posted:

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/1184091635702997000

That's definitely a spin-off game considering the version number.

Woah guys it's a picture of spaceships!

Guys they have spaceships!

*Runs down hallway still shouting*

SPACESHIPS GUUUUUUYSSSS!!!

Wow mega-hype poggers. Spaceships here!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

The problem with infinite scientists is how quickly you end up running out of interesting techs and start getting hit with continual repeat tech spam notifications

Repeating techs is where the real power is though.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

https://galaxycommand.stellaris.com/

What do you know, it is Stellaris mobile.

Too bad there is no gameplay video only the tired ad where it shows you how playing this game in public makes you look like a dork.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bholder posted:

:catstare:

They better announce something good for Stellaris PC at PDXCon or else I'm gonna set my Blorg plushie on fire.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Oh wow that video. I cringed the whole way through it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fans: booing
Johan, defensively: oh come on don't any of you own a phone???

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bholder posted:

Stellaris mobile.

:goofy:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Bholder posted:

Too bad there is no gameplay video only the tired ad where it shows you how playing this game in public makes you look like a dork.

Man, I know they're a big market but I just absolutely 100% don't care at all about mobile games.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Those city districts take a long time to build though and the relic world only needs to have blockers cleared.

I guess, the city districts can be planned for though. I usually have a few candidates selected by the time the second weather control tech comes up, you select urban world, spam down a planet's worth of city districts, and it takes care of itself. It is slower than doing it with a relic world, but is that time saving worth sacrificing a world with a +30% research bonus? I doubt it.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 15, 2019

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
First they release a game in early access exclusive to the Epic Store, then they tease a mobile game like anyone sane cares.

The gently caress's going on? Do they not realize that this poo poo basically murders any trust anyone has in them?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*Me on the toilet, looking at my phone*

Man I really gotta optimize my consumer goods production...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

RagnarokZ posted:

First they release a game in early access exclusive to the Epic Store, then they tease a mobile game like anyone sane cares.

The gently caress's going on? Do they not realize that this poo poo basically murders any trust anyone has in them?

It's a bad look for us old fans, yeah. I expect they announced it early now so that it won't be a boo fest at the convention, though to be fair the Epic Store thing is a Haemimont third-party license so it's technically twice removed from Paradox who are just acting as the publisher here, they won't have a lot of money in it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I imagine their "regular" Stellaris (PC) announcement is saved up for the PDXcon, so they got the mobile announcement out of the way before.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I guess Stellaris is just the guinea pig for Paradox. Put that poo poo on console, put that poo poo on mobile, oh god what do you have to do to sell something to anyone other than PC gamers????

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Bholder posted:

Just stopped by to laugh at all the people who thought this wasn't going to be a mobile game.

It is one of their biggest selling franchises and has little political implications for international sales. That and they're still learning to make games that aren't EUROPE or EUROPE + BIG. There was nothing else it could have been.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Didn't the new CEO come from one of those companies that poo poo out mobile games by the dozen?

Hopefully the mobile vicky is good

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hobbesmaster posted:

Repeating techs is where the real power is though.
They're tedious and also boring
*deflating balloon noise*

RagnarokZ posted:

If you're talking the surviving the apocalypse thing that's not paradox

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

Please note that the game is available now only in: Canada, Sweden, New Zealand and Australia. Stay tuned for more available countries!

Is this for real, can someone with an IP in one of those countries check the stores?

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
They should have announced it after pdxcon. Shows the potential new (Chinese) market is more important to PDX as a publisher, than the current market and their current market.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/StellarisMobile/status/1184140437122174977

Rolling with the punches

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I thought "don't hype mobile game announcements because nobody cares" was pretty understood at this point

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Senior Dog posted:

Didn't the new CEO come from one of those companies that poo poo out mobile games by the dozen?

Said CEO is Ebba Ljungerud, her background is online gambling, and she's been a big advocate of expanding to new platforms (mobile, tablets, wearables, etc.), but that's not quite the same thing. I wouldn't assume she's drawing a direct line from "gambling is more profitable on alternative platforms" to "grands strategy games will be more profitable on alternative platforms".

hobbesmaster posted:

Is this for real, can someone with an IP in one of those countries check the stores?

I'm in Canada and it shows up in the Google Play store for me. Not about to install it, but it's there.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 15, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/StellarisMobile/status/1184141244613775361

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Chalks posted:

I thought "don't hype mobile game announcements because nobody cares" was pretty understood at this point

I assume that's why they didn't announce at pdxcon, but I think that's the wrong lesson to take from the DI announcement. They should have announced it at pdxcon as just a small extra IMO. Blizzard's problem with DI wasn;t announcing it at blizzcon but rather announcing it and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Somebody over thinks they're god drat Wendy's.