Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

nightwisher posted:

Finally figured out how to adjust spawn controls. Just need to severely lower infighting, and add more spawn points to the wang files and poo poo's gonna get busy :getin:

God that's like 1k gold on that screen with the perfect water flask throw

edit: oh man or just letting them set that wood on fire on the left side and breaking the dam..... noita FTW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
got melee immunity and a chainsaw and let me say... there's more blood in those little guys than you'd think.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Running into some interesting bugs while tweaking spawnrates, somehow despite not even being defined in the biome script for the mines there are robots and shadow worms spawning infrequently. Maybe I'll just consider it a feature :unsmigghh:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, I just thought it was goofy. Level started and that dude undoubtedly started hucking lava, intent on making his jacuzzi in time for my arrival.

I found a portal completely submerged in blood myself.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Hello. I made a mod called wand2wang.

It turns every instance of "wand" to "wang".

Enjoy via this sketchy link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AVA6i2lDS_zzrLhM2VrC3OhOZiuYPRxN

Calipark fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 15, 2019

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

JonTerp posted:

Hello. I made a mod called wand2wang.

It turns every instance of "wand" to "wang".

Enjoy via this sketchy link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AVA6i2lDS_zzrLhM2VrC3OhOZiuYPRxN

thank you for your service

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Tenebrais posted:

Quick cliff notes version:

Your spells can be divided into cast spells (eg spark bolt, bomb, nuke) that create objects in the world, and modifiers (eg fire trail, dualcast) that affect other spells.

Your wand reads the spells you put in from left to right.
If it reads a modifier, it will apply the modifier to the next spell.
If that spell is a modifier it will apply both the next spell, and so on until it hits a cast spell.
If the modifier is one that multi-casts, it will look ahead to get the next two/three/however many cast spells that the modifier requires.
If the cast spell has a trigger or timer, it will cast the next spell without any of the modifiers that the first spell had.

When you reach the end of the spell list, the wand needs time to recharge (how much time is a wand stat).
If your wand is a Shuffle wand, it jumbles up all your spells each time it recharges. This is not a good thing but is usually balanced by the wand having stronger stats.
Each spell takes mana; a bundle of modifiers and spells add all their mana requirements. If your wand doesn't have enough mana, it will skip to the next spell it can cast.
Your wand's cast delay limits how fast you can cast your spells if they are not restricted by recharges or mana.

2nding that this would be a great addition to the OP, OP.

Uh, or just add this, as it is more important.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I just had a run where I got invisibility and a nice assortment of potions, and settled on the strategy of balancing invis perk against invis potion to sneak around. But I think the perk doesn't kick in til I'm totally dry from the potion from how that coal pit shotgunner wrecked me when I tried to double back on him.

I'd say give every finicky perk an edges-filed-off-for-safety version that can also pop up, with a costly method to make things safe, and a nominal cost to have fun. Then the danger that makes this amazing still has center stage but those of us with poor dexterity and controllers can see all these amazing depths I keep hearing about.

How is the performance on the gif saving currently?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

nightwisher posted:

Out of curiosity, which file were you editing
I've only dabbled around for a bit but lots of neat stuff is super intuitive to access:
magic_numbers.xml is basically your config.ini file, with lots of global flags or parameters. Including the virtual resolution, which is neat - I like going for quad res ( VIRTUAL_RESOLUTION_X="854" VIRTUAL_RESOLUTION_Y="484) , but there's a few static offsets that need adjustment (like spawn location or area title trigger volumes) and having 4x screenspace also includes much more taxing physics and worldgen. So there's significant slowdown when shits going on.

materials.xml is a 11000 line file with all of the material and chemical reactions (burning, evaporating, melting), down to interaction like grass growing or ice slowly melting against air. This is where you want to go if you want to make stone self-combustable for example:

genome_relations.csv is just a matrix of hostility towards other "herds" - every npc in the game is member of a herd. 100 means they're your ally, 0 means attack on sight. A simple "100 for player, 0 for everything else" edit is what i use as a casual exploration sandbox mode (this is also what the more love/hate perks affect with +-25). Or maybe you just want to set the angry god as your ally so worms glitching through the crystal barrier don't end runs anymore.

data\enemies_gfx has sprite pngs and associated xml files describing animation sets. This is where you want to go for your nudemods, i guess?
They're referenced in the corresponding data\entities\animals xml files, which have enemy health (in units of x25hp), behavior, movement attributes and items (like the vault/assassin.xml s giving them a "data/entities/misc/animal_energy_shield_sector.xml" item). So that's where quick enemy balancing (or giving them all nukewands or something?) is trivial.

Similarly data\entities\player.xml has all that stuff for yourself - including starting inventory, what you can get damaged by, etc. Also minor stuff like what png/scale your aiming cursor is. But you can also edit that (among other things) under the ui_gfx assets.
data\shaders has lots of minor stuff, but most notably post_final.frag which is the hlsl code that manages final composition, including basic stuff like blur and bloom or contrast/gamma, but also drug effects, fog of war and the "low health" color vignette.
scripts\biomes area files includes spawning tables (which are often referenced by director_helpers.lua's random_from_table()) which is what i use to spawn enemies in the coalmines for testing, data\scripts\perks\perk_list.lua is pretty self explanatory, and so on and so forth.

I was a bit worried i wouldn't be able to toy around with the impressive tech if they were pushing hard into a roguelike genre, but the moddable branch alone has more fancy levers to gently caress around with just using npp or gimp than i had ever hoped for. :toot:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 15, 2019

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah I'm pretty much a complete novice when it comes to lua or scripting in general but even with my rudimentary understanding of it I'm able to actually accomplish quite a lot. If I were actually capable of more than basic value changes and really simple logic, I could think of all kinds of neat things to implement. For now I've settled on cranking up the spawn rates of enemies is all areas, removing in-fighting completely and raising enemy hp, while also making better wands and spells spawn much earlier. Makes for some absolute chaos.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Here's one weird thing I've noticed about wands - even on non-shuffle wands, putting a projectile modifier or formation on the very right seems to do the same thing as putting it on the very left. Like, (bolt)(bolt)(bolt)(formation - pentagon) will shoot all three bolts off at various angles with one click. I'm not sure what makes wands read right to left in this one instance.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
As far as I know if a modifier runs out of spells to the right of it to cast, it loops back around to the first spell on the left. I think they can't pass themselves that way though, which is why that wand still only casts three bolts instead of looping twice and casting all 6(or more realistically, looping infinitely until it drained all mana from the wand).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BLOOD OCEAN

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

IronicDongz posted:

As far as I know if a modifier runs out of spells to the right of it to cast, it loops back around to the first spell on the left. I think they can't pass themselves that way though, which is why that wand still only casts three bolts instead of looping twice and casting all 6(or more realistically, looping infinitely until it drained all mana from the wand).

This is pretty much it. Once you cycle through all spells on a wand, it starts over from the beginning but any "unspent" modifiers are retained so long as you don't switch between wands.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Some of the areas in this game are incredibly dark, what's the best way of dealing with that?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fire.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
That actually didn't do much in the last dark area I found.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh for that kind of darkness, there's some psychedelic blood that will help.

Absum
May 28, 2013

There's also Torch spells, but they're pretty rare ime.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
After 3 days of playing I finally made it past the ice caves and into hiisi base. It was going well and the jump in difficulty didn't seem as extreme as going from lvl 2 to 3 did.

Then I tried to get through a steel wall to an hp upgrade and found out what the "...and you" in Touch of Water's description means. :doh:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I should really stop trying to go for the Magic Temple whenever I get to the Snowy Depths.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

drat people are coming up with some pretty cool spells in mods already like this projectile modifierthat makes spells follow your mouse cursor

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

New and exciting ways to accidentally kill yourselves.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

goferchan posted:

drat people are coming up with some pretty cool spells in mods already like this projectile modifierthat makes spells follow your mouse cursor

oh my god that would be an amazing perk

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

oh my god that would be an amazing perk

Perks are moddable too, I saw a cool "earth magic" pack on that site that has a perk that causes vines to sprout from your body and attack enemies that get too close (but they can also catch on fire and burn you)

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Had a a run where I got a massive 9-slot wand with multicast and lightning fast recharge in the mines.

It had 8 stacks of...

...alcohol cloud rain or whatever.

I thought it was pretty useless until my massive alcoholic weather front lightly brushed a flame somewhere off-screen.

Then the run got really interesting :stare:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

skaianDestiny posted:

I found a portal completely submerged in blood myself.

I found this once when on 1 hp and fleeing for an exit.

I had freeze field

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I really wish enemies took more damage from status effects. Poisoning or setting enemies on fire seems basically pointless unless you have the Always Crit vs. Burning mod on your main damage.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

I really wish enemies took more damage from status effects. Poisoning or setting enemies on fire seems basically pointless unless you have the Always Crit vs. Burning mod on your main damage.

:yeah: Mist of Spirits with Fiery Trail on a trigger looks like it should be so much more effective than it is.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Judging by how the levels sometimes look when you arrive, if the enemies took more status effect damage there wouldn't be any enemies left for you.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Baller Time posted:

Judging by how the levels sometimes look when you arrive, if the enemies took more status effect damage there wouldn't be any enemies left for you.

yeah, it's kind of annoying that setting critters on fire or whatever doesn't really do much, but they have basically no self preservation instincts, so they'd all just kill themselves if you made it more dangerous.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Actually, if you put one of the toxic blob dudes on fire they will seek out water to douse it! :eng101:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fire totally kills things, you just have to be patient.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

fire and poison scale on the final boss but I don't think they do on anything else . That difference makes me think that mechanic isn't quite hashed out yet

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I think there's probably a variety of ways to fix the problem, yeah. A simple one would be to simply have the status effects produced by wands (fire trail, toxic mist, etc) be a different sort than the kind inflicted by environmental terrain. Then you could tweak player-inflicted status numbers without it affecting the coal mine suicide rate.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

one day I will get the electricity generator perk, breathless, and a water trail modifier on the same run...one day....

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

GulagDolls posted:

one day I will get the electricity generator perk, breathless, and a water trail modifier on the same run...one day....

Here is such a run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_04dJuM0As

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Noita: THUNDER GOD RUN (ends tragically)

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Could just go with Noita: Ends tragically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Mindblast posted:

So I just realised that the standard bomb wand is a good early game last resort option if the rng screwed you a bit. Yeah the mana recharges slowly and only has a single slot but if you put a basic spark bolt or bounce ball in there it turns into a pretty drat amazing machine gun that makes the coal mines easier to manage. Impressive early game dps.

I’ve been following this tip from a few pages ago. It’s been actually quite helpful to change the bomb wand into a rapid-fire wand in the early game. Sure the bomb wand isn’t great in most regards, but it’s actually got a better recharge time and cast time than most wands you find. It makes a better machine gun than the starting wand.