Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

cams posted:

i could be completely wrong on that info for her, it was something i read online while i was still trying to avoid major spoilers for the game cause i'd only completed it twice.

Marianne never shows up post-timeskip so you can take some pretty dark inferences from that, considering she's the daughter of one of the important Alliance leaders and so should probably be featured, if she was still alive...

I think Ferdinand x Bernadetta is just really lovely, he's super attentive to her specific needs. And with their support where he tells her how he was supposed to be married off to her but refused bc she sounded creepy... :3: I've also seen Bernie x Felix which isn't nearly so cute, they have very cute supports but in their ending she just becomes even more of a recluse because he's too busy to care for her.

Ashe x Petra is great, she creates an order of knights in Brigid especially for him! He deserves only the best and Petra is definitely the best.

Obviously Linhardt x Caspar is perfect.

Dorothea x Sylvain is... something. I'm not sure. Prefer him with Felix but that only works on BL. He goes well with Mercedes too. Sure is funny how he can only hook up with the gay girls huh.

El x Hubert is sweet but I think he gets something better with Ferdinand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, that's true about Marianne being the one student who never shows up post-time skip if she's not in your house.

Poor Marianne :smith:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It is a universal constant that Ferdinand is the best boy in Fire Emblem, not just Fodlan. I will always stan him with Marianne because I have issues similar to hers and how he helps her deal with them is just super touching.

Andrast posted:

It's better on the other routes imo

Eh I mean they never get to be together properly, Sylvain just pines for him until he gets his sword. It's mysterious I'll give you that. Now granted I don't know if the support chain itself changes, but the ending slides are better on AM

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's true about Marianne being the one student who never shows up post-time skip if she's not in your house.

Poor Marianne :smith:

Always recruit Marianne!

I forgot about Leonie x Shamir, now that is a good ending. There's no way either of them are straight. I was delighted they ended up together

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

eating only apples posted:

Always recruit Marianne!

I forgot about Leonie x Shamir, now that is a good ending. There's no way either of them are straight. I was delighted they ended up together

it's on the more ambiguous side, but yeah. C'mon. It's not among my favorites but it's nice. And gets Shamir away from Catherine.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Trip report, finally finished my on-and-off maddening run with BE:E. No NG+ or DLC item junk. I feel like the game is a lot more fun on this difficulty. A lot of the finer details of the gameplay (late game abilities and combat arts mostly, utility battalions) get a chance to shine when every character isn't one-rounding every enemy.

That said, who on earth is going around making all these maps with same-turn reinforcements on them? Who thinks this is fun? At best it's a divine pulse tax , at worst it encourages looking up spoilers for trigger areas or having to reset because whoops, canto'd a flier one step too far into a forbidden zone that causes two dozen enemies to spawn (thanks chapter 14).

And monster fights are great, they all feel like that first time a demonic beast shows up in chapter 5 and you have to use every character in the right order to eke out a win. My favorite chapter was actually Marianne's paralogue -- even if the low visibility is kind of cheap it's just a fun time having to scramble to cover contingencies as new beasts keep coming out of the mist. And by that point you have like 8 divine pulse charges anyway.

MVPs:
Byleth: unique ability to tank both a mage hit and a physical hit in the same turn. Was my only L40 character at the outset of the endgame and had ~34 def and res.
Dorothea: thoron is really, really good. Plus rally charm is relevant so Hubert could hit Resonant Lightning or w/e. Plus physic. Plus meteor.
Sylvain: somehow ended up with 38 speed and routinely one-rounded enemy peg knights and cavalry, could slaughter 3 enemy wyverns each enemy phase in Almyra paralogue
Felix/assassins in general: shade is real nice on maddening

Biggest losers:
Bernadetta - 18 str at level 24, benched for Leonie. It's also a lot more annoying to use her personal skill when 90% of things one-round her.
Edelgard - 16 speed and 18 resistance in the endgame. I should've made her a wyvern and not her unique class, Ferdinand had just as much defense as her but at least he had a horse and didn't get doubled by fortress knights. On the other hand, Raging Storm was responsible for 4x 45 damage on dracorhea.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Eimi posted:

it's on the more ambiguous side, but yeah. C'mon. It's not among my favorites but it's nice. And gets Shamir away from Catherine.

Nope. Gay.

People really underestimate Leonie I swear. I know it's offputting when all she wants to talk about is how great your dad is/was but her supports with other people are so good. She puts Bernie at ease! She hates bugs! She drops Felix in a pit trap and calls Sylvain out for not thinking of her as a girl because she's too good/has short hair! I love her, she's one of my top 5.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Shamir/Leonie and Shamir/Hubert are very good

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Also I will say the one ending I outright do not like is El and Hubert. Not because it makes her less but because I think Hubert being in love with El weakens his character. He's much more interesting when he's her friend and devoted to her ideals instead of in love with her. Him being in love with her makes his relationship more cliche and boring.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Eimi posted:

Also I will say the one ending I outright do not like is El and Hubert. Not because it makes her less but because I think Hubert being in love with El weakens his character. He's much more interesting when he's her friend and devoted to her ideals instead of in love with her. Him being in love with her makes his relationship more cliche and boring.

It's not really avoidable though right? Doesn't he confess to her way earlier on in their supports, like at B even? It's not just an ending, it's part of who he is.

I must admit his A with Byleth really got to me. "If I had two lives, I might devote one to you." :qq:

Junpei Hyde posted:

Shamir/Leonie and Shamir/Hubert are very good

Lol she can get with Hubert? Amazing. I love Hubie but that is particularly weird

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I S-ranked Hubert this run mostly for novelty but the Byleth/Hubert A-support is actually pretty sweet. Goofy end dialog but I liked the title card. Hubert and Byleth form an 'unbreakable bond' in the shadow war vs the slitherers after the game ends

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

It's not really avoidable though right? Doesn't he confess to her way earlier on in their supports, like at B even? It's not just an ending, it's part of who he is.

I must admit his A with Byleth really got to me. "If I had two lives, I might devote one to you." :qq:

Lol she can get with Hubert? Amazing. I love Hubie but that is particularly weird

It's in his A with her. Dorothea accuses him of it in her C with him, and he denies it but you know. :v:

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Any pairing other than Raphael x Caspar is incorrect.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

They're both emotionally detached professional killers with strong feelings of personal obligation. Relationships have been built on much less.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

theyre both edgy goths together its perfect imo

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

You can't marry Edelgard's gay vampire best friend as a man and that's a crime.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
the best hubert ship is with bernadetta because no one will ever make her sad again

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Tipps posted:

Any pairing other than Raphael x Caspar is incorrect.

How can you possibly take him away from his husband Linhardt

In my first run Raph ended up with Hilda which made me so, so happy

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Blaziken386 posted:

the best hubert ship is with bernadetta because no one will ever make her sad again

They are impossibly cute together

https://twitter.com/DarkGreyClouds/status/1172682123628744706

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

Yes exactly. And he cares deeply for her from his C support onward. He's super kind with Bernie. And he wears her flower even if it ruins his goth aesthetic. :3:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I thought it was official that Linhardt was sharing Caspar with Ashe (presumably so he'd still have time for naps).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Hubert and Bernie are my favorite pairing for both of them, but it's very close because Hubert and Ferdinand are so good together

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Edelgard/Lysithea btw

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The real question is who has the higher number of really good pairings. I think maybe Ferdinand wins that one?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I like Ashe/Ingrid on CF mostly because its built on them nerding out together and has a happy ending that uh doesn't happen on the other routes.

quote:

The real question is who has the higher number of really good pairings. I think maybe Ferdinand wins that one?

Ferdie is definitely a strong contender. I'd also put up Dorothea and Manuela into the ring.

Also Hanneman gets the award for best platonic pairings since he has so many good ones.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 15, 2019

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Eimi posted:

As far as I'm concerned, El/Hubert A should have been:

Hubert: Lady Edelgard, I have... feelings for you.

Edelgard: I have feelings for you, too.

Narrator: The feeling was "friendship," but neither had ever experienced it.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Eimi posted:

It doesn't really work for them. Hubert is her Oberstein, romance being in the equation just makes their relationship less interesting.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

golden bubble posted:

As far as I'm concerned, El/Hubert A should have been:

Hubert: Lady Edelgard, I have... feelings for you.

Edelgard: I have feelings for you, too.

Narrator: The feeling was "friendship," but neither had ever experienced it.

How it should've been, and as far as I'm concerned how it is.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Rand Brittain posted:

Marianne wins this

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
The lack of Marianne-Mercedes supports is a crime.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Zore posted:

I like Ashe/Ingrid on CF mostly because its built on them nerding out together and has a happy ending that uh doesn't happen on the other routes.

Those two are just so intensely boring together, what happens with them on CF that doesn't in any other route? They're very sweet and I care deeply for both of them, don't get me wrong but kids there's only so much nerding out about knight stories I can take

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Those two are just so intensely boring together, what happens with them on CF that doesn't in any other route? They're very sweet and I care deeply for both of them, don't get me wrong but kids there's only so much nerding out about knight stories I can take

I was wrong its just the AM ending I hate because it plays into the dumbest parts of Ingrid's story and totally undermines their entire support

Ashe and Ingrid (Azure Moon)

When the new king was crowned in Faerghus, both Ashe and Ingrid left their homes to travel to Fhirdiad and pledge themselves to the royal family as knights. They each swore to defend the king, come what may, no matter the cost, and to that end they fought side by side in many battles together. They were both praised for their endless devotion and boundless courage, and their names went down in history as peerless knights. Many tales were told of their valor, and how they became indispensable to each other over the years. A handful of those stories went so far as to suggest they fell in love and became husband and wife, but this may have been an embellishment.

Ashe and Ingrid (Other routes)

When Galatea territory was seized, Ingrid argued strongly for the preservation of its borders. Her request was granted and she was appointed to rule, but because she had previously abandoned her noble house, she was not well accepted by the people at first. It was thanks to the help of Ashe, who arrived to serve House Galatea, that she was able to soften the view the people had toward her by restoring the territory and improving its agriculture. As Galatea's prosperity grew, so too did the love between Ingrid and Ashe. Their wedding ceremony was intended to be a simple one, but lavish blessings from the citizenry made it a lively event.

this is like a perfect encapsulation of why we need to smash the system and why AM is the certified bad ending of the game

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 15, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

They actually get to marry instead of it being suggested. And I mean there is something to them talking about being knights while fighting their homeland which makes it a bit more interesting.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Well I don't want them to get married ever in any route so it's fine. I don't know who I'm setting either of them up with on this BL run but certainly not each other. Might go Mariashe this time, they're lovely together.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Weird fact I just learned by reading over Ingrid's endings is that she and Seteth only have an ending on Azure Moon. Every other route they can support but don't get an ending.

huh, I didn't realize that was a thing

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ingrid is def a character where the supports I think that work for her ( Felix, Sylvain) are just so much better together that I don't know what to do for her. I guess her and Raph works out okay.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

I... don't think any of the romance options would count as grooming? :confused:
Byleth's not even their professor for a full year before getting flung off a cliff for the better part of 5 years, and during that time your students all grow up via wartime character development.

Couple that with not aging or even being conscious during that time, even the biggest age difference (lysithea) is rendered moot.

(and additionally, given Byleth's emotional maturity is effectively "n/a" for most of their life, most of the students are the ones with more experience re: relationships)

Some of the students are even straight up older than her.

Zore posted:

You do have

Rhea, who's entire support chain is her alternating between acting motherly and horny. She's also Byleth's boss and has a huge power differential over them.

Also the Sothis romance probably counts since in a lot of ways she raised Byleth. Though she also had amnesia so maybe it doesn't count?

Then all the other teacher/student relationships the game has

Sothis didn't even exist in the form we know her until the game actually starts.

I know all the sothis fanart with smol byleth is really cute but it isn't what happens.

Harrow posted:

What endings have Marianne dying young and/or dying by suicide? She's much less suicidal post-time skip and all the pairings I've seen for her are pretty happy endings. Do her solo endings imply eventual suicide or something?

Her part 1 ending if she dies is "She takes a horse and rides off never to be seen again"? :v:

The Little Kielbasa posted:

The lack of Marianne-Mercedes supports is a crime.

Marianne/hilda's all you need anyways.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 15, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

psy_wombats posted:

Trip report, finally finished my on-and-off maddening run with BE:E. No NG+ or DLC item junk. I feel like the game is a lot more fun on this difficulty. A lot of the finer details of the gameplay (late game abilities and combat arts mostly, utility battalions) get a chance to shine when every character isn't one-rounding every enemy.

That said, who on earth is going around making all these maps with same-turn reinforcements on them? Who thinks this is fun? At best it's a divine pulse tax , at worst it encourages looking up spoilers for trigger areas or having to reset because whoops, canto'd a flier one step too far into a forbidden zone that causes two dozen enemies to spawn (thanks chapter 14).

And monster fights are great, they all feel like that first time a demonic beast shows up in chapter 5 and you have to use every character in the right order to eke out a win. My favorite chapter was actually Marianne's paralogue -- even if the low visibility is kind of cheap it's just a fun time having to scramble to cover contingencies as new beasts keep coming out of the mist. And by that point you have like 8 divine pulse charges anyway.

MVPs:
Byleth: unique ability to tank both a mage hit and a physical hit in the same turn. Was my only L40 character at the outset of the endgame and had ~34 def and res.
Dorothea: thoron is really, really good. Plus rally charm is relevant so Hubert could hit Resonant Lightning or w/e. Plus physic. Plus meteor.
Sylvain: somehow ended up with 38 speed and routinely one-rounded enemy peg knights and cavalry, could slaughter 3 enemy wyverns each enemy phase in Almyra paralogue
Felix/assassins in general: shade is real nice on maddening

Biggest losers:
Bernadetta - 18 str at level 24, benched for Leonie. It's also a lot more annoying to use her personal skill when 90% of things one-round her.
Edelgard - 16 speed and 18 resistance in the endgame. I should've made her a wyvern and not her unique class, Ferdinand had just as much defense as her but at least he had a horse and didn't get doubled by fortress knights. On the other hand, Raging Storm was responsible for 4x 45 damage on dracorhea.

I'm on the final map and now feeling like a cheater for using the dlc maps. Oh well!

No love for Lysithea? She's probably MVP right now and hit S+ reason on ng maddening.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hubert is definitely in love with El, but it’s more a courtly love a la Dante in the Divine Comedy. Hubert doesn’t want to be in a relationship with her as much as he wants to be around her and bear witness to her - he sees himself as her lesser and doesn’t want to “intrude” on her life

Interesting and kinda hosed. Classic Hubert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Okay so what is the death knight doing with all of his dark seals. Is he trying to be a dark mage but failing