Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

luxury handset posted:

this is the part which is highly variable

some schools outsource food provision to third party contractors. some schools cook on site in kitchens. some schools have a hybrid system, where private companies might set up shop in the school cafeteria

assuming the school provides food through directly employed cafeteria staff, the cafeteria manager will have a set yearly budget to work with and plan out meals at a very low cost per student. they will try to recoup as much of that money as possible through lunch fees, which are typically pretty cheap per-meal (though easily out of reach of very poor students). i'm talking like $2 per lunch, but assume a family that has three kids in the system, that $6/day (more with breakfast!) will add up fast

this is why subleasing a part of the cafeteria to some local fast food franchise is attractive, you then collect your taco bell rent and leave it up to them to make their profit off your student base

this is also why school food is often garbage, whoever is running the breakfast/lunch program is getting industrial scale foodstock from sysco or us foods and trying to feed students at about a dollar per head. so, dehydrated eggs, large portions of cheap meals like vegetable soup and giant pans of cheese pizza, etc.

There's actually a decent amount of crossover with school food and prison food. A lot of the same problems are there: Food needs to be mass produced in large quantities for cheap. The nutritional requirements are slightly (slightly) different, like how kids aren't being fed nutriloaf, but at some of the better prisons and worse schools, you'd have a hard time picking out at a glance which is the prison food and which is the school food. What you get is a lot of high fat, high sugar, D grade meat. And in some cases the same suppliers for the prisons are the same suppliers for the schools.

This isn't always the case though. In some prisons you're just getting a bologna sandwich and water. Or if you've pissed someone off, nurtiloaf, which really should be classified as some sort of human rights violation. Literally so.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Yeah this caused problems at my school. When our old administration retired this stereotype of a young 80s businessman took over in my sophmore year. He immediately instituted policies where you failed every class with a 0 if you were absent more than 5 days. There were no exceptions to this unless you had documentation from a doctor or hospital verifying that you had a condition that he thought was an acceptable reason to miss school. So he would even refuse some doctor's notes even if families went to the expense of a doctor visit.

He also doubled the price of school lunches.

Oh and to discourage early graduation he banned any student who did it from senior prom, the yearbooks and graduation and made them pay some kind of administrative fee. Mine was $240 so I sold my class ring for scrap gold.

Real question. How did this guy not get his car egged and his tires slashed every day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shifty Pony posted:

Don't you have to be like an official part of the executive branch for executive privilege to have any possibility of applying?

I was just listening to Jim Newell on a podcast this morning pointing out that, in fact, anything Donne told Hizzoner has had privilege stripped because he told him.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Related

https://mobile.twitter.com/bombshellmovie/status/1184148214137552899

Also look how much they nailed the casting of Kimberly Guyfoyle

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

republicans.txt

quote:

McConnell went on to mimic complaints from House Republicans that they are not given subpoena powers and that Trump’s attorneys are not invited to participate in the hearings.

In 2015, the Republicans changed the rules to take away subpoena rights from the minority party.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/15/donald-trump-impeachment-ukraine-investigation-046915

Also I was kind of hoping and figured this might happen. That really doesn't look good for Trump that people in or formerly in his administration will just ignore his standing order not to testify for the obviously self-serving bullshit it is and comply with the duly elected Democratic houses inquiry. You can finally at long last see Trumps borderline inexplicable reign of fear and intimidation slowly crumbling in real time. They're not going to get all of the ones they want to testify or at least not this quickly, but I could easily envision an alternate scenario where none of them have and so far what's been shared with Congress is damning as hell and lines up pretty succinctly with the purported whisteblower complaints.

This is a lot better than I could have hope for so far considering I just expected them to go full in on ignoring subpoena's but there's nothing compelling them too aside from Trump's will and maybe just maybe that's no longer the be all end all anymore in America.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

Headlined by the new show "Young Sheldon explains why a flat tax is good"

The Price is Right, but where boomers dramatically underestimate the price of a college education

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Bubbacub posted:

republicans.txt

a beautiful self-own

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dammerung posted:

What other choice does he have at this point? I think at this point that President Trump coming out on top and the Republican Alternative Reality field succeeding are one and the same. At this point, unless something changes, the Republican Party and the Trump administration are too closely intertwined to separate from one another.

he's a senator from south carolina. if he makes it through his primary, he almost certainly wins re-election, and then has a six year term where, at the end of the term, he probably wins the primary again for being a loyal footsoldier no matter what happened in the interim

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Bubbacub posted:

republicans.txt

:yeshaha:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

ew

https://twitter.com/TwitterSafety/status/1184205349869387776

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

evilweasel posted:

willingness to listen to science and expert opinion, as opposed to tradition and doing things "the way they've always been done", is a very big left/right divide. rejecting that is sort of the essence of conservatism

nah the weird child health stuff was originally very much a left wing thing that only existed on the right like way at the loving edge of the spectrum. Now it is much more bipartisan. It does pretty heavily correlate to distrust of the government and other traditional authorities and that's basically entirely bipartisan at this point.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"You cant do anything about the horrible tweet but stare at it as it is preserved forever"

Kale
May 14, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Like 90% of NHL players are hardcore Republican/Conservative chuds so expect them to all smile and clap along anyway.

This statistic and claim is based on and from?

I'm getting a bit of a different vibe from those videos in any case. Like a not that that they're smiling or laughing along with Trump or agreeing with him but a wry "Oh here we go, I knew he'd bring this up" reaction. The body language and chuckling makes it feel like they're laughing at the idea of being on the podium there while he goes on about more "but my enemies" stuff that has nothing to do with them being there. At the same time they didn't have to be there either and what did they loving expect.

The quotes that are being posted on the NHL N/V thread are standard Trump "people are saying" quotes about things NHL players are "telling him". The exact format that he always uses when he's just making poo poo up out of thin air on the spot so I wouldn't be inclined to believe them on that basis.

Again they don't have to be there, it sucks, but I'm not getting a "hail victory" party rally vibe off of this so much as they're there on the basis of a tradition when they probably shouldn't be cause the guy is nuts and why would you want to be associated with that in any situation. They deserve some flack and dragging on that point alone.

edit: It occurs to me people are probably just wondering if they are real Trump quotes in which case god I honestly don't know? Maybe ? Anything is possible with him.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 15, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wow! Thank you @Jack! :downsbravo:

Free Speech is surely served by this!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Toobly posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1184188825783996416

Is it just me or does he look scared as Hell?

You do wonder when he's going to figure out that Trump has no plans of ever appointing himt o any of the positions he wants, nor are any of his efforts doing jack poo poo, nor would he even want to deal with the exposure of being a cabinet member in the corrupt as all gently caress clusterfuck of a trump admin

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I wasn’t aware that the Blues visited the White House today. That’s a shame.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Good overview of why Hill's testimony is so explosive

https://www.vox.com/2019/10/15/20915579/trump-impeachment-ukraine-fiona-hill-whistleblower

quote:

Hill, the first former White House official to testify in the impeachment inquiry, noted two episodes that will certainly intrigue House Democrats.

First, Hill recounted a July 10 meeting with senior Ukrainian officials that she, Bolton, and US ambassador to the EU Gordon Sondland attended. Per her testimony, Sondland brought up the investigation, leaving those in the room with no doubt that he wanted the Ukrainians to look into the Bidens. Bolton afterward told Hill to speak with top NSC lawyer John Eisenberg about his discomfort with what Sondland said and the Ukraine plan he, Giuliani, and acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney were executing.

“I am not part of whatever drug deal Sondland and Mulvaney are cooking up,” Bolton told Hill, according to the New York Times on Monday night. Apparently, Bolton was already upset at Giuliani for his Ukraine work. “Giuliani’s a hand grenade who’s going to blow everybody up,” Hill recalled Bolton saying in a previous conversation.

This is a big deal. Not only did Hill outline a meeting in which investigating the Bidens came up, but also it so worried Bolton — the White House’s top national security aide — that he dispatched her to tell a lawyer. That’s not a normal thing that happens in the White House. Usually such sensitive meetings are carried out with strict, by-the-book talking points that in theory shouldn’t be overly controversial. The July 10 chat was clearly the opposite of that.

Second, Hill noted an undated conversation she had with Sondland in which the ambassador said he was leading Ukraine policy. When she asked under whose authority, he said the president’s.

Again, that’s striking. As the lead for European policy in the NSC, spearheading Trump’s Ukraine stance is actually Hill’s job (along with top diplomats at the State Department and the Pentagon who have that portfolio). Sondland is responsible for the European Union, which notably doesn’t feature Ukraine as a member. For Trump to personally give Sondland the authority to deal with Ukraine implies either the president’s great trust in the ambassador and/or a desire to keep a secretive plan out of expected channels.

It’s worth remembering that Sondland has long been a suspicious character in the Trump-Ukraine drama. As the House inquiry uncovered earlier this month, when the lead US diplomat for Ukraine Bill Taylor texted Sondland in September and asked if the military aid was “conditioned on investigations” and a presidential meeting, his simple response read “Call me.”

Put together, Hill’s testimony doesn’t just add to the file of Sondland’s sketchy actions, it also helps corroborate what the whistleblower alleged about the Trump administration.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Move over Bailey family. There is a new imaginary friend in town.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also, and most people have realized this: Sondland is incredibly uninterested in taking a bullet for Trump here, and the worse it looks for him the more likely it is he flips

(he's been planning on defying the white house and testifying, but blaming guliani, but that story just got a hole blown in it)

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 15, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

theblackw0lf posted:

“Giuliani’s a hand grenade who’s going to blow everybody up,”

Thread title until it happens

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm not surprised by Bolton's actions per Hill. Thread title reflects reality again.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Angry_Ed posted:

First question, is that constant dollars?
Second question, who gives a gently caress about the median?

it just means the people on the top are making more money

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ManBoyChef posted:

that's not how medians work

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Angry_Ed posted:

It's inflation adjusted but I dunno that the relative price of a banana fluctuating has had nearly the same impact on earners as massive student loan debt

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You, your dog and Bill Gates have a median income of whatever your paycheck is.
You have an average income of billions.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1184218668768661505

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1184219684650016770

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I still think this is a bad idea.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You do wonder when he's going to figure out that Trump has no plans of ever appointing himt o any of the positions he wants, nor are any of his efforts doing jack poo poo, nor would he even want to deal with the exposure of being a cabinet member in the corrupt as all gently caress clusterfuck of a trump admin

while i think part of it is him gunning for more power even if its on a burning crashing admin. graham takes the "shape" whatever the "dominant" consvervative figure in his life is. for a long time it was McCain, now its trump. next it will probably either some "moderate" and or some dumber monster. he is just a bootlicker.

Taerkar posted:

I'm not surprised by Bolton's actions per Hill. Thread title reflects reality again.

i am not either. Bolton is chickenhawk war criminal nutter but i don't think he is openly corrupt traitor who grossly makes love to the boots of dictators in the way trump does. bolton wants to imprium of america crushing poo poo, not getting crushed.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Rumor Has It, a good song from 90s one hit wonder the Honeydogs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I still think this is a bad idea.

i mean all it does is "make it offcial"(even though it doesnt matter) what bad could happen?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean all it does is "make it offcial"(even though it doesnt matter) what bad could happen?

That the Republicans want it to happen should be enough to dissuade Dems. It’s a trap to make the inquiry appear a Partisan attack on the President

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's about showing lack of bipartisanship, like that meant anything even before Trump.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Jumping when the GOP demands it is a bad thing.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

They should be announcing the perp-walk of everyone snubbing the subpoenas, not going along with Trump's Calvinball decrees. Jesus Christ.

I really hope that report is wrong.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
If it "begins" with a vote now then they can start claiming it was over before it began (which would be now).

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

ManBoyChef posted:

Medians are a much more accurate measure than mean, because they are less warped by outliers.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That the Republicans want it to happen should be enough to dissuade Dems. It’s a trap to make the inquiry appear a Partisan attack on the President

Also the republicans will say everything up to this point doesn't count because it was before the official declaration.

If that's the case, it could mean something big is about to drop. Or something has just come out in committee that makes voting against impeachment unattractive.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Surely once it's been voted on and made official the GOP won't find some other bad faith reason to call it illegitimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh well that subpoena wasn't part of the inquiry, guess you'll have to issue another one!
Oh well THAT subpoena was only because I didn't follow the first one, which you already agreed was wrong so it was wrong too.
Oh well THAT OTHER subpoena was because I wasn't following subpoenas, that's a completely different issue than the inquiry so really I shouldn't follow it.
*later*
The election is over, why are you still doing impeachment? Trump won! The American people spoke!