Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I thought most everyone called their metropolitan railways their "metro system" and "subway" was more the american term that came out of the mostly underground NYC system? There's tons of metro systems that are mostly above ground or elevated, but no one calls them subways.

Isn't a lot of the NYC system above ground too? At least that's what I remember from Spider-man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Hopefully paradox never makes a mobile game again.

although a CYOA style game based on ck2 could be fun

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

NextSundayA.D. posted:

Are you talking about Paradox or the puppet master racist?

the guy claiming he isnt racist while being pretty transparently racist

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
All right chill with the poster's libel. That's a bit too far.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Rynoto posted:

Paradox survived far longer than I thought it would from its humble beginnings before finally succumbing to unchecked capitalism.

finally? what do you think the current dlc model has been if not turning all the mainline games into subscription services?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

He’s just doing it for attention, ignore him.

So did Paradox expect this to be received well? Or just not as poorly as this?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I thought most everyone called their metropolitan railways their "metro system" and "subway" was more the american term that came out of the mostly underground NYC system? There's tons of metro systems that are mostly above ground or elevated, but no one calls them subways.
That's... more than I knew. But it's no wonder I was wrong since learning from a game might not be the best idea. In SimCity subway were the tubes you built beneath among the pipes.

Now that I think about I thought metro was also mostly just underground. :cripes:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
i assume that the corporate people assumed it would play well because why else would they make the product? it might just be geared at a different market.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Mobile games are so insanely cheap to put out. You liscense a title to a Chinese dev, they do it for pennies, and you put your title on it. The margins are huge and it's honestly gonna become a plague for niche gaming like paradox because stockholders are gonna want what brings in the dough.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Average Bear posted:

But I am also legitimately a war criminal. I honestly fear someone exposing me in a dedicated QCS thread, causing admins to take action and finally put me before an international tribunal in the Hague. That person would likely finally get the respect they deserve both online and off. I've covered my tracks well, but this is my one weakness.

My assets will be subsequently frozen and I will never get to experience in app purchases on Stellaris: Mobile before I am justly hanged.

Smarter More criminal than your average bear...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Beamed posted:

He’s just doing it for attention, ignore him.

Everything about this screams "they just didn't give a gently caress".

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Beamed posted:

This was not a 'big thing', otherwise its announcement would have been part of PDXCon.

In the last Quarterly Financial Report by the CEO and head of Finance they said the mobile market was being probed, but unsure about their long term impact.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

make stellaris mobile so on its face bad that it gets bad press and from then on use that bad press as a reason to stay away from more mobile gaming

that's probably not what happened but it'd be hilarious if it was

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
As funny as it is to clown on Pdox for getting a BIG MOBILE GAME REVEAL!! This game just isn't for the core base. It brings in cash from casual mobile gamers and whales. As a business decision it's sound. Low risk, almost no maintenance and huge reward. Barely even takes company time since it's all outsourced. Still, I hate it and it gives me HIV (the virus that causes AIDS).

I think the real reveal will be CK3. If I'm wrong quote this post and post a picture of something small while going "that's your dick".

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

tbh pdox prolly would have made a mobile game regardless if they went public or not, its absurdly profitable for the amount of effort it takes and I hope the funds from the 2000 or so whales that drop 5 figures a year on it go towards Victoria 3

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Rynoto posted:

Paradox survived far longer than I thought it would from its humble beginnings before finally succumbing to unchecked capitalism.

lmao this is some other company making a licenced paradox game off the stellaris IP and just reusing their own game stuff (and stealing art, ofc)

this isn't paradox dev schemeing this is once again the publisher faceplanting on the QA side of things

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Agean90 posted:

tbh pdox prolly would have made a mobile game regardless if they went public or not, its absurdly profitable for the amount of effort it takes and I hope the funds from the 2000 or so whales that drop 5 figures a year on it go towards Victoria 3

I wonder if they could have made something that's actually fun to play instead of farming it out. Something like a very stripped-down CK2 that focuses entirely on the character mechanics in one country could be interesting. There are lots of mechanics in Paradox games that could be broken out of their respective games and expanded upon to make cool mini-games.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Do CK2 but during the Cold War

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Make your idiot syphilitic son president only to have him die from a random assassin.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
They could do an assassination blurb referencing the famous CK2 "second bowman on the grassy knoll" bit.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dramicus posted:

I wonder if they could have made something that's actually fun to play instead of farming it out. Something like a very stripped-down CK2 that focuses entirely on the character mechanics in one country could be interesting. There are lots of mechanics in Paradox games that could be broken out of their respective games and expanded upon to make cool mini-games.

problem with mobile gaming I think is either you do it yourself, which is completely seperate from even handheld gaming, or try to get another company to do it and the actual competent ones already have their own successful games, so.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Dramicus posted:

Paradox Studio development is completely focussed on the Clausewitz engine. For the other games they own studios with their own culture and ongoing projects. Those other ideas don't come from Paradox, but from their acquired studio's. So entering the mobile market implies cooperation with a mobile development studio.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Morrow posted:

Make your idiot syphilitic son president only to have him die from a random assassin.

You joke, but managing a neutral monarchy/autocracy during the cold war sounds cool. A kind of like the cold war section in Tropico, but massively expanded upon.

Edit: ^^ I see, so on the one hand they can enter the market at very low cost/risk and potentially make big bucks, or they could invest an inordinate amount of time and money setting up a mobile studio with huge risk. Makes sense they would farm it out then, it's just highly unfortunate what happened with the company they chose though.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 15, 2019

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ItohRespectArmy posted:

I could see a 'free' paradox mobile game being something like a MUCH slicker and focused version of 'Age of Civilizations II', which is like Risk and EUIV had a weird clunky baby. Sell extra nations and scenarios for a couple bucks a piece.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Dear Vladivostok Gorispolkom Chairman Ivanov.
It has come to my attention that the Vladivostok Kom.Party Second Chairman Smirnov is planning to denounce you.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 15, 2019

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

OddObserver posted:

It has come to my attention that the Vladivostok Kom.Party Second Chairman Smirnov is planning to denounce you.

Due to politburo intrigue well beyond your understanding, your regent Lavrentiy has been replaced

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

OddObserver posted:

Second Chairman Smirnov bursts into your chambers, flanked by several NKVD dragging Third Chairman Leonid the Wise with them in chains. "My First Chairman, we caught this would-be-imperialist in the act of reading Capitalism and Freedom, and giving praise to Milton Friedman! What shall be done with him?"

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Whatever happened to the paradox cold war game?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

lmao this is some other company making a licenced paradox game off the stellaris IP and just reusing their own game stuff (and stealing art, ofc)

this isn't paradox dev schemeing this is once again the publisher faceplanting on the QA side of things

Yeah this.

Paradox Publishing's business strategy is basically to buy large numbers of haystacks in the hope that eventually a needle will appear.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Since Paradox is having their PDXCon sale, I was thinking about getting into Stellaris (the real one, not the trash mobile knockoff).

Is there a list of 'necessary' DLCs/x-packs for Stellaris?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I don't mind Paradox Interactive releasing bullshit, that's nothing new. But it's pretty lame that they're trashing a Paradox Development Studio title in the process. Stellaris doesn't need more bad press

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Technowolf posted:

Since Paradox is having their PDXCon sale, I was thinking about getting into Stellaris (the real one, not the trash mobile knockoff).

Is there a list of 'necessary' DLCs/x-packs for Stellaris?

Utopia is the only 100% must get of them. The others mostly add more stuff, be it things to do or things to do them to.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The Stellaris game has been taken down for using stolen assets lol

https://twitter.com/TheWesterFront/status/1184199515190059008

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Average Bear posted:

Whatever happened to the paradox cold war game?

East vs West? It was being developed by a mod team and Paradox cancelled it because it was bad.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Utopia is the only 100% must get of them. The others mostly add more stuff, be it things to do or things to do them to.

imo utopia is less 100% necessary since they moved traditions to part of the base game

it's still the first i'd suggest getting though, unless you really want to play with robot empires in which case synthetic dawn can go first

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

East vs west thought it would be a great idea to focus on all the war aspects of the cold war.

You know, all those gigantic conflicts like ww3 and ww4.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

historical-themed version of king of dragon pass with the CK name slapped on for market appeal

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

really queer Christmas posted:

East vs west thought it would be a great idea to focus on all the war aspects of the cold war.

You know, all those gigantic conflicts like ww3 and ww4.

Tbf a Cold War game where you invest a ton of time and resources in a military you can never use would be accurate.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Funny you should say that because they've released this game 3 years ago. It was called Crusader Kings Chronicles

But then GDPR came and they didn't care enough to update the game for it and it was taken down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

Tbf a Cold War game where you invest a ton of time and resources in a military you can never use would be accurate.

It would be even more Cold War as hell if you built up a super cool military only to get trashed by some guys on Toyotas in the desert.