Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's a little funny that, after ten years of only making one game, they've now got three of them in the works and an anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i like to imagine this has been ten years of the art team tugging on tencent's sleeve going "hey, hey, hey, can we show dreamworks the gently caress up yet c'mon give us money"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vermain posted:

It's a little funny that, after ten years of only making one game, they've now got three of them in the works and an anime.

4 of them. Legends of Runeterra, the FPS, the fighting game and the Diablo-like. Also I'm pretty sure launching pre-reg for TFT Mobile, Wild Rift and Legends of Runeterra have turned the Riot servers into a shaking pile of ash.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

s tier: project l(2.5d fighting game with solid sense of camera manipulation, clean silhouettes, and great art style)

a tier: legends of runeterra(wildcard. this game might suck absolute rear end, do not quote me on this a tier. i am just being tentative here as it looks most polished.)

b tier: anime(riot has been asking for this for approximately 2 centuries), lol esports manager(why did they not make this sooner)

c tier: the mobile game adaptions(why would i play loving league on my phone. you absolute monsters)

d tier: fps(unfinished) and adventure game(looks like a button mashing borefest)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I wouldn't play League on my phone but I will play the gently caress out of League on my Switch.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I'm not much of a TCG guy, but this looks like a decent evolution of the Hearthstone format. I'm definitely looking forwards to Project L the most, but god knows when that poo poo'll be out.

Gamerofthegame posted:

i like to imagine this has been ten years of the art team tugging on tencent's sleeve going "hey, hey, hey, can we show dreamworks the gently caress up yet c'mon give us money"

If League died tomorrow, they could probably go on as a pure art studio and do just fine for themselves. They genuinely have some of the best artists out there working under their banner.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
What should I be building towards in TFT now, I took a break and now Brawlers are kinda bad.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Wait do we have footage of the fighting game?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Vermain posted:

they've been working on games for most of those ten years and former employees attest to it just being a graveyard of abandoned ideas. they have a gigantic loving number of employees and it's shocking it's taken this long for one of their projects to see the light of day. four at once is pretty insane on top of that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Here's the full preseason changelist. The elemental rift changes look sick, and are a genuinely huge change to mid/lategame. I like the little alcoves they've added, and the bits about top/jungle changes are also good additions. Also looking forwards to the support item changes; the fact that there's now two AD item options and a free 1500g for supports to throw around opens up a lot of space for weird poo poo that wasn't there previously.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm very down for the idea of Herald getting to respawn before Baron if you take her quickly.
RIP Shojin.
Edge of Night becoming a straight up AD Banshee's Veil is solid.
Very in favour of support items upgrading automatically and not having to spend money on them before I can get items.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Cloudbringer’s Grace:

Gain cooldown reduction for your Ultimate ability.

Cloud Dragon Soul:

Hitting enemies with abilities or attacks lowers the cooldowns of your base abilities.

Cloud > Infernal

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Better start practicing tanks again. We get defensive stats on mountain dragons, no true damage on conqueror and spear of shojin is getting removed.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Action George posted:

Better start practicing tanks again. We get defensive stats on mountain dragons, no true damage on conqueror and spear of shojin is getting removed.

I'm hoping they're going to spend more of 2020 focusing on figuring out what to do with tanks. They've been in an unfavorable state for a while, but they also haven't exactly been welcome parts of the game when they have been in a favorable state. The tank mainstays tend to be universally reviled for turning top/mid into a snoozefest, and tend to be either unduly powerful or completely useless in the jungle. There's probably a solution to the dilemma, but it'd require more focused work than it's gotten.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Been waiting for the conq nerf for awhile true damage + 8% unmitigated lifesteal/spellvamp was dumb. Kinda hope they give grasp some loving too.

The CCG looks like something between hearthstone and mtg, board animations seem pretty sharp from the stream.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Boxman posted:

Wait do we have footage of the fighting game?
like two seconds worth

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
That FPS looks almost identical to Paladins, which is hilarious, since Hi-Rez's Smite is basically 3rd person League.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I was thinking it looked like CS:GO with Overwatch characters, what with the prevalence of one-hit kills but also whacky abilities that do stupid poo poo

The card game will probably be good and I might play it just for the novelty of a card game that doesn't have randomised boosters, aka loot boxes.

The fighting game looks incredible but I don't particularly like 2.5d SF-style fighters so I'm mostly here for the animation.

Speaking of which, the Overwatch-esque character animations they did for Wild Rift are very cool. The actual game is :effort:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ungulateman posted:

I was thinking it looked like CS:GO with Overwatch characters, what with the prevalence of one-hit kills but also whacky abilities that do stupid poo poo

Yeah, that's what they're aiming for. It's very much not an arcade shooter like Overwatch is, which is an important distinction, since it lets them both evade potential market oversaturation and potentially capture an already large market (tactical shooter players) who also happen to have a strong presence in esports.

I'm definitely looking forwards to trying out the fighting game. I've tried games like Xrd before, and while I like the concept, I'm too loving old and cranky to try and learn the necessary inputs to do anything reasonable. If it's anything like Rising Thunder, it should be right up my alley.

edit: Y'know, I'm enough of a dumbass that I didn't even notice that the League anime is a Vi/Jinx/Warwick origin story. Now I really wanna watch it.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 16, 2019

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Why is the fps not using league characters?

Weirdly I'm most looking forward to the fighting game even though I've never really liked them in the past. The card game looks fun as well though, especially with Arena making GBS threads the bed constantly

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CODChimera posted:

It's meant to be a more tactical, CS:GO-style shooter, something that only a very small number of current League champs would even vaguely fit in. Probably best not to tie your cart to a single horse in the long run, too.

Senna's splash art. I'm hella hype to give her a spin after watching the animated trailer. She's looking like what I've wanted out of supports for a long time: an active, high skill cap champ.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

CODChimera posted:

Weirdly I'm most looking forward to the fighting game even though I've never really liked them in the past. The card game looks fun as well though, especially with Arena making GBS threads the bed constantly

if it was set in league-o-verse everything would be hextech and look the same

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I feel like I’m the least excited about the dragon changes. Otherwise, looks decent I guess

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Boxman posted:

They're showing a lot of Legends of Runeterra - saying beta drops in "early 2020." Pre-register at the website, playruneterra.com

I realize I'm jumping from one Tencent company to another, but getting a card game right after I uninstalled Hearthstone feels like a nice surprise.

Also, I missed it, when do the daily drops start?

:siren: One Last Thing :siren:

Animated series, "Arcane" dropping next year. Jinx is the only champ they showed in it other than an untattooed pink hair girl.

I feel like I’m being wooshed but pink hair girl is definitely Vi.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

I feel like I’m being wooshed but pink hair girl is definitely Vi.

It's Vi, Jinx, and their orphan gang (which probably means Ekko's hanging around somewhere). I think I spotted Warwick, Viktor, and maybe even motherfucking Dr. Mundo, too.

Further 10th anniversary news: one of the daily login rewards is going to be a free Annie skin, titled "Annie-versary":

Jesus Christ, Tibbers.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 16, 2019

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Did they remove teleport?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Reality Sinner posted:

Did they remove teleport?

Nothing on the features page about it, nor about jungle turrets/sidelane fountains. It could've been something they scrapped; they probably go through dozens of iterations and ideas before finally landing on something.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

This was an insanely dope motherfucking stream. I don't even know or care about half of the stuff but holy crap they're expanding and it's good to see. I don't know anything about mobile or shooter or card game but everything 5v5 was great, Senna looks cool, elemental rift poo poo looks awesome, the free poo poo for logging in is nice, all in all very well done

Choice moment: Twitch chat spamming "BLACKED TriHard" when Lucian hugged Senna but I mean what else can you expect

I expect tencent's stock price to pop off tomorrow

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Spent some time playing Legends of Runeterra and it appears to have the solid foundation of MtG/Eternal/TESL but with everything turned up to 11 and seemingly way overpowered and wacky. Attack on the opponent's turn? Sure. A 9/4 hero who dies and instantly becomes 9/9 with additional abilities? Why not! Ball lightning that is resummoned every time an allied unit attacks? Why the gently caress not?

The games are short and generally pretty crazy and everything feels like it belongs in a combo deck. Looking forward to playing a lot more of this.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Yeah, only played through the tutorial tonight before I got sucked into Disco Elysium but Legends of Runeterra looks like it has real promise

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The shooter reminds me a lot of R6:Siege, though very rough obviously

And I am super down to play LoL mobile on Switch, the game honestly looks great and is aiming for shorter, faster games than normal SR which sounds good to me

The timing of everything couldn't be better too, with Blizzard flailing

Firebert fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 16, 2019

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lid posted:

Cloudbringer’s Grace:

Gain cooldown reduction for your Ultimate ability.

Cloud Dragon Soul:

Hitting enemies with abilities or attacks lowers the cooldowns of your base abilities.

Cloud > Infernal

cloud dragon is already arguably better than infernal in essentially any game that lasts for less than 30 minutes im pretty sure

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

rabidsquid posted:

cloud dragon is already arguably better than infernal in essentially any game that lasts for less than 30 minutes im pretty sure

:chloe:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
part of the problem is that when the assassin who shouldn't quite one-shot you does one-shot you because their team has two infernal drakes you can point to that very directly, while the team with two cloud drakes being able to rotate their leona bot faster than your nautilus and pick you off is reliant on a much fuzzier combination of factors to demonstrate the power of the cloud drake.

remember how treant protector was the best character in non-pro dota and it wasn't close, because he had a global aura that gave your whole team 4 dota-armor (about 30 league armor) and 4 hp regen per second? that's cloud drake.

e: On an unrelated note, I thought dropping the ~sick burn~ of "it turns out you guys actually do have phones" is needlessly disrespectful of that poor blizzard employee who got thrown to the wolves by his own company's terrible decision making

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 16, 2019

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

It's meant to be a more tactical, CS:GO-style shooter, something that only a very small number of current League champs would even vaguely fit in. Probably best not to tie your cart to a single horse in the long run, too.

Senna's splash art. I'm hella hype to give her a spin after watching the animated trailer. She's looking like what I've wanted out of supports for a long time: an active, high skill cap champ.

True, good point. They probably figured CSGO type fps is better for esports than what say OW does.

I pretty much just main support these days, and sometimes play ADC so Senna should be great fun

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

"... a small gift, every day you log in. And no, it's not just summoner icons..." (10 days of gifting)

Also,

Can Dogcrank be a skin instead of just a card?

Toxic Mental posted:

Choice moment: Twitch chat spamming "BLACKED TriHard" when Lucian hugged Senna but I mean what else can you expect

ResidentSleeper during TFT
LUL during the "...turns out, you DO have phones" line for TFT mobile
WutFace during the LoL: Wild Rift reveal right afterwards

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 16, 2019

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Anora posted:

What should I be building towards in TFT now, I took a break and now Brawlers are kinda bad.

Shapeshifter/Wild continues to be really good because Gnar exists. Barring that, I rarely go wrong with Demons, especially if I can cram Shapeshifters in there too.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Legends of Runeterra has a lot of great animations... so they either have a toggle to disable them or you are constantly clicking to skip ahead. So much resources wasted on art that will hardly be appreciated.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

ungulateman posted:

e: On an unrelated note, I thought dropping the ~sick burn~ of "it turns out you guys actually do have phones" is needlessly disrespectful of that poor blizzard employee who got thrown to the wolves by his own company's terrible decision making

The "Don't you have phones guy" was an exec if memory serves though, and it was a stupid line he didn't have to throw out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
ADC supp sounds heaps cool. When pyke was released I thought it was a big step in the right direction of making supports have a bit more agency. Then they released yuumi, the 7th inventory slot. So hopefully this one turns out alright