Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Are you using the datapath ES capture cards?

Nope, currently using a Framemeister plugged into an Elgato HD60.

It looks like there's an eBay seller in Texas that has Shinybow 4x2 SCART matrix switches for $130, so maybe I'll give that a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can you bind a different game pad to your wii-u like you can bind wiimotes? I saw a stand-alone game pad on Facebook marketplace the other day and I thought hard about picking it up because my kids still play the Wii-u and it would be nice to have a backup game pad if ours gets busted

E: oh you totally can, nice!

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1131/~/how-to-sync-a-wii-u-gamepad-with-a-wii-u-console

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Having never ever considered a WiiU or even looked at it (it's so ugly), can you actually play games without the big stupid touchpad controller?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

falz posted:

Having never ever considered a WiiU or even looked at it (it's so ugly), can you actually play games without the big stupid touchpad controller?

Depends on the game. Some explicitly require it while others you can just leave it plugged in and play with a Wii U Pro Controller instead.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The WiiU Pro is still one of my favorite controllers. It was the right size for my hands and I liked the button action.

Only thing I regret is not getting a Zelda shell for my Game pad and now the pads are entirely too expensive to pick up on a whim.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The Wii U pro controller has a magic battery that lasts months on a single charge.

One unfortunate thing about the Wii U in general: triggers are not analog.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

falz posted:

The console itself won't boot without the big stupid touchpad controller, at least officially (might be able to work around this via softmod, but you might need the big stupid touchpad controller to be able to do that in the first place). You can, however, much of the time just leave it docked and faff around with a Wiimote or Wii U Pro Controller instead. A bunch of games do explicitly require the touchpad, however, and/or actually use it as a distinct 2nd screen, sometimes to neat effect. For example, in Game & Wario (one of the games that requires you use both the big stupid touchpad controller's screen AND your TV), there's a minigame thing where you play as 9-volt from the Warioware series. The premise is you are playing a handheld game system at night when it's bedtime, when your mom specifically wants you in bed. The big stupid touchpad controller is an analog for this handheld game system, you're playing Warioware-like games on it and trying to accrue points, while on the TV you see 9-volt's bedroom and 9-volt's mom lurking around outside, and you have to press the triggers to make 9-volt hide under the covers and appear asleep when she's able to burst into the room and check on you, or it's an instant game over, so you have to pay attention to two screens at once.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Despite all appearances, the touchpad is also amazingly comfortable to hold/use.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GutBomb posted:

The Wii U pro controller has a magic battery that lasts months on a single charge.

The magic is just that the battery is huge, they used the same one as the 3DS so it's got an entire consoles worth of juice powering a device that uses a fraction of the power.

They used the same part yet again on the Switch Pro Controller as well. If you ever need a replacement battery they won't be hard to find.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Also, the gamepad has gyro controls but the Pro controller doesn't. Hence the "tie a Wiimote to a Pro controller" setup for 2-player local Splatoon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ItBreathes posted:

Despite all appearances, the touchpad is also amazingly comfortable to hold/use.

This is true, it's way more comfortable to use for long periods than you'd think to look at it. The only issue is while the pro controller has infinite battery, the gamepad only lasts about 3 hours. That becomes a problem with the games that require the gamepad like Pikmin 3 which uses the pad for map stuff since the whole game is built around juggling all 3 characters and Zombi U which is awesome on the Wii U and less good on other consoles because of how it forces you to divide your attention between the TV and gamepad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

univbee posted:

For example, in Game & Wario (one of the games that requires you use both the big stupid touchpad controller's screen AND your TV), there's a minigame thing where you play as 9-volt from the Warioware series. The premise is you are playing a handheld game system at night when it's bedtime, when your mom specifically wants you in bed. The big stupid touchpad controller is an analog for this handheld game system, you're playing Warioware-like games on it and trying to accrue points, while on the TV you see 9-volt's bedroom and 9-volt's mom lurking around outside, and you have to press the triggers to make 9-volt hide under the covers and appear asleep when she's able to burst into the room and check on you, or it's an instant game over, so you have to pay attention to two screens at once.

They added an expanded version of this game to Warioware 3DS because it's the one part everyone liked about Game & Wario.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TVs Ian posted:

Also, the gamepad has gyro controls but the Pro controller doesn't. Hence the "tie a Wiimote to a Pro controller" setup for 2-player local Splatoon.

A big reason why I never got used to motion controls with Splat1 was the insistence of everyone who was actually good saying to use the bus driver method.

I’m too old for motion controls :(

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Breath of the Wild’s motion controls for bow aiming ruined me for other games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Breath of the Wild’s motion controls for bow aiming ruined me for other games.

I'm not saying Horizon Zero Dawn was a bad game or anything, but there was nothing stopping them from patching in motion aiming.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Finally, I don't have to futz with the Action Replay disc anymore.

HyperBoot

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
gently caress I missed out on a 14" PVM for $100

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Picked up a couple cool things recently - a High Definition Graphics Model 1 Genesis at a thrift store, and a Sony KV-13FS100 from Craiglist. It's a little baby 13" Trinitron, no S-Video but it has a component input

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I got drat near mint copies of Final Fantasy VIII and Metal Gear Solid today, and learned one of the thrift stores around here has a massive pile of PS1 games I need to pillage when I get paid.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Illuminado posted:

Finally, I don't have to futz with the Action Replay disc anymore.

HyperBoot

Is that something that gets stuck in the GCN memory card slot? Or a chip that goes inside the console itself?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Annath posted:

Is that something that gets stuck in the GCN memory card slot? Or a chip that goes inside the console itself?

It certainly looks like it could fit in the memory card slot but the connector there seems narrow than a standard memory card. There's like no info on that thing yet.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's badassconsoles so I wouldn't give him your money and expect anything back.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Re: the Wii U Gamepad clip it to your belt when you play BOTW for an irl Sheikah Slate.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Wii-u will forever have a place in my heart as the first system I played BOTW on. Got the game on release day for Wii-u and fell down a Zelda hole for 3 months. When I beat it, I bought a switch, a copy of BOTW and started over.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Finally get to see what this thing is tomorrow, assuming it's the Gameboy they could go in so many different directions. Portable only or also an HDMI out? If you can connect it to your TV does it have a controller input or would you just use the device? GB/GBC only or does it also do GBA?

I love the Super NT and Mega SG, they are the perfect scenario for how I currently like to retro game. Not having to buy heavy CRT's I don't have room for, not having to worry about modding consoles, not having to worry about all the various/different inputs.

This Game-Tech website doesn't mention anything about refunds so I'm assuming that probably isn't an option at this point for the GBA Consolizer if what Analogue happens to be doing is the same thing but also portable. Initially I thought maybe I could just flip it, but I'm not sure how much demand there would be for something with less functionality and requires you to harvest a GBA... again if they are similar products.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I need something that can take the VGA output from my Dreamcast and convert it to Component.

I have a cable that plugs into the Dreamcast, and provides a Male VGA and a Male 3.5mm jack (for audio), so I need something that takes both of those.

I actually have such a box from Monoprice, but said box is misaligned such that the VGA slot doesn't allow the screws used to stabilize the plug to catch and screw in. The result being that the VGA plug wiggles and wobbles in a very suspicious manner, and also comes unplugged at the drop of a hat.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Annath posted:

I need something that can take the VGA output from my Dreamcast and convert it to Component.

I have a cable that plugs into the Dreamcast, and provides a Male VGA and a Male 3.5mm jack (for audio), so I need something that takes both of those.

I actually have such a box from Monoprice, but said box is misaligned such that the VGA slot doesn't allow the screws used to stabilize the plug to catch and screw in. The result being that the VGA plug wiggles and wobbles in a very suspicious manner, and also comes unplugged at the drop of a hat.

HD retrovision has dreamcast component cables coming soon.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

HD retrovision has dreamcast component cables coming soon.

Their blog hasn't updated since June or so, is there anything with more recent info?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Annath posted:

Their blog hasn't updated since June or so, is there anything with more recent info?

https://twitter.com/HDRetrovision/status/1183898186659708930

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Thumbing around their Twitter account is warning me not to give them any of my money.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I really didn't want to spend more money after PAX-AUS last weekend, but I was stupid enough to go for a wander through Cash Converters on my way home from work.

I came out with a copy of Gregory Horror Show with no manual for $60AUD :shepspends:.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mercury Crusader posted:

Thumbing around their Twitter account is warning me not to give them any of my money.

Why? It’s just a lot of talk about component cables and running.

They seem to be pretty good dudes to me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really didn't want to spend more money after PAX-AUS last weekend, but I was stupid enough to go for a wander through Cash Converters on my way home from work.

I came out with a copy of Gregory Horror Show with no manual for $60AUD :shepspends:.

No poo poo, that had a PAL release? Wild.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Annath posted:

Anyone have experience using RetroArch?

I got the program itself working, but it only sees my 8BitDo M30 as an Xbox Controller.

This makes setting input bindings a pain.

I keep reading online that if you load a game and then select "controls" from the quick menu, it's only supposed to ask you to assign buttons for the device you're currently emulating, but that hasn't been the case for me.

I fire up a Master System game and it still asks me for ABXY, LR, Triggers, etc.

Any advice?

By default all the 8bitdo controllers will start up in Xinput mode. So, your computer reads it as an Xbox pad. But after you bind it for a system I think Retroarch should remember that for next time? You could try and mess with DirectInput mode I guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

No poo poo, that had a PAL release? Wild.

Yup, PAL and JPN. Goes for about a minimum of $100AUD on eBay as near as I can tell.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.wallpaper.com/lifestyle..._dlvrit_twitter

GB/GBC/GBA, adapters for GG, NGPC and Lynx

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AND Nintendo Switch-like TV docking ability with bluetooth controllers!!

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

lol, the official announcement isn't for another hour and a half

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Why is it using HD screens? How is that a benefit?

njsykora posted:

This is true, it's way more comfortable to use for long periods than you'd think to look at it. The only issue is while the pro controller has infinite battery, the gamepad only lasts about 3 hours. That becomes a problem with the games that require the gamepad like Pikmin 3 which uses the pad for map stuff since the whole game is built around juggling all 3 characters and Zombi U which is awesome on the Wii U and less good on other consoles because of how it forces you to divide your attention between the TV and gamepad.

If you open up the battery compartment on the WiiU game pad you'll see a ton of empty space. Nintendo made an official battery for it that filled all that empty space and it added a ridiculous amount of battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

No link cable though?