Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Dreamy mustachioed diabeetes wishful hopeful subpoeenees taxes that ain't gonna happen just yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btqBJJF2yvE

Not sure wherein Bolton fits, but....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If it gets bad enough, I predict that they may make the calculation that getting rid of Trump might be easier for them in the long run than carrying his dead weight into an important election year. Don't know if we're quite at that point yet, but we may well be in a month or two. I don't think this is going to get any better for Trump - or for the GOP.

Any GOP Senator that votes to impeach Trump will never win another primary again, ever.

Trump is the most popular politician ever among Republicans. He's more popular than Reagan was among GOP voters. This would only intensify if Trump were convicted- reactionaries favorite pastime is inventing ways to portray themselves as victims. Having the most popular Republican politician ever (among GOP voters) impeached by GOP Senators is just never going to happen. The Senators aren't driving the GOP train- radicalized primary voters are, and have been since 2010. That isn't going to change in our lifetime. The brakes were cut almost a decade ago.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

while i agree. the senate for the most part has still be quiet and alot of them are pissed as gently caress about the kurds.

The president made an apparent snap decision that has probably already killed thousands, which if he did it for any coherent reason at all was as another favor for Putin.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Midgetskydiver posted:

Any GOP Senator that votes to impeach Trump will never win another primary again, ever.

Trump is the most popular politician ever among Republicans. He's more popular than Reagan was among GOP voters. This would only intensify if Trump were convicted- reactionaries favorite pastime is inventing ways to portray themselves as victims. Having the most popular Republican politician ever (among GOP voters) impeached by GOP Senators is just never going to happen. The Senators aren't driving the GOP train- radicalized primary voters are, and have been since 2010. That isn't going to change in our lifetime. The brakes were cut almost a decade ago.

This is why I having a burning hated of Republican voters.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RandomBlue posted:

I guess the other calculus is that if the Republican loses his seat, he knows he'll be replaced by a mentally ill Nazi.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Midgetskydiver posted:

As long as the Democrats are dumb enough to run another awful candidate like Hilary Clinton, I think it's unlikely there will be another gop president for as long as everyone remembers Donald Trump.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

half cocaine posted:

As long as the Democrats are dumb enough to run another awful candidate like Hilary Clinton, I think it's unlikely there will be another gop president for as long as everyone remembers Donald Trump.

People thought the Republican party was dead after George W. Bush left office, too. Two years later they won back the House.

Voters have short memories, and the GOP is very good at rebranding itself.

Seanzor
Mar 22, 2013

Gatts posted:

Pretty sure Pelosi is paid opposition. She is a Reagan lover so she's probably down for White Supremacy and Conservatism. The whole "Blue Dogs" and "Compromise" and "Reaching across the aisle" stuff is a cover for being complicit and the same thing, this is how they rig the game. Probably why she's always on the emails the Republicans send out for their talking points.

Way late to this, but: this is the dumbest thing I've read on these forums in years.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

DaveWoo posted:

People thought the Republican party was dead after George W. Bush left office, too. Two years later they won back the House.

Their voters only started dying in the last five years

In fifteen, they'll have lost like a third

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

DaveWoo posted:

I don't understand. Obama has two terms. The Democrats lost to Trump because they alienated their own voters. Mitt Romney had more votes than Trump. I don't think anyone forgot the bush years.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theflyingorc posted:

You are saying extremely stupid things FYI

The concentration camp defender doesn't like my posts? Fffffffff

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Yes, i also believe that tags given our in this thread are accurate, good job.

Stop embarrassing yourself lol

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

RandomBlue posted:

sorry it turns out that half-ish the country is actually poo poo bags and humanity is doomed

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

About you're posts... I have some, ah, bad news...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

skeleton warrior posted:

Trump's polling dived into the shitter following the Access Hollywood tape release, but then moved back to its normal 40% after a week and GOPers managed to rationalize themselves into "well, he's a shitbag, but he's our side's shitbag" and most of the Mueller investigation fell into that pattern as well. This feels like it might be building, but it's felt like that before.

I think it's notable, though, that as others have said, the only ones going out to defend Trump are the useful idiots like Gaetz and Jordan. I'd be more worried if Senate leadership was taking a more active role in rebutting the House's efforts at oversight.

Midgetskydiver posted:

This is all true. I just wonder if Trump's chud base will help him too much if it's 25-30% of the electorate. I guess it helps the True Believers stay in line, but he's not winning any new converts and as fat as I know, support for impeachment among independents has been ticking up since the Ukraine scandal began. But since I know we live in hellworld, I'm not taking anything for granted after 2016.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 16, 2019

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

Their voters only started dying in the last five years

In fifteen, they'll have lost like a third

This is the hope of course, but the permanent GOP senate gerrymander is only going to get worse, combined with a GOP SCOTUS that will sign off on increasingly brazen voter suppression means the GOP will be on life support for a long time to come.

Honestly with how this dem primary has gone, I see the Democratic Party splitting far sooner that the GOP.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hopefully the Dems are withdrawing the inquiry so they can just go with full blown impeachment.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Gatts posted:

Pretty sure Pelosi is paid opposition. She is a Reagan lover so she's probably down for White Supremacy and Conservatism. The whole "Blue Dogs" and "Compromise" and "Reaching across the aisle" stuff is a cover for being complicit and the same thing, this is how they rig the game. Probably why she's always on the emails the Republicans send out for their talking points.

You know how the leader of the Republican party is the dumbest motherfucker on the planet, even though no one is paying him to be awful?

That's not untrue for the Democrats.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Midgetskydiver posted:

You don’t have to win a primary if you retire. If these were normal folks I would point out that they get their congressional pension after six years but even still they can just retire to sit on boards, lobby or jerk off all day.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Nonsense posted:

Hopefully the Dems are withdrawing the inquiry....
Is that what's happening?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is that what's happening?

No, it's not

Impeachment is still happening, Dems just aren't letting Republicans make up rules to slow down proceedings

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I mean I was referencing the last 50 years mostly, but back in the 30s they called all that poo poo progressivism and you had other weirdos like kellogg getting in on it and it was a hella weird time. Still, the pure living fascist poo poo is pretty different from the distinctly anti-authority/anti-science anti-vax and antipharmaceutical contemporary movements, the related industries of which barely existed in the early 1900s.

Like vaccines weren't especially controversial in any way in the 1950s when every year parents were watching their kids classmates die or get disabled by the diseases that were starting to get vaccinated.

So Behind the Bastards has been explicitly going over this and turns out, not really.

https://www.behindthebastards.com/podcasts/part-one-rudolf-steiner-the-racist-who-invented-organic-farming-and-waldorf-schools.htm

It's a real wild ride, but basically proto-fascists/nazis are more or less responsible for the organic farming movement, and a surprisingly high amount of the roots of the modern anti-vax scene in particular is a combination of grifters (loving always comes back to grifters) and sanitized versions of early fascist literature (some of it literally being fascist propoganda with all the explicit racist poo poo removed) being picked up by idiots.

There is definitely a strain of leftist derived anti-authority/anti-science, but a large segment of it has been co-opted or taken over by less than savory elements. It's one part grift (okay, two or three probably) and one part specific goal of undermining authority to supplant it. I mean, almost by definition actual anti-authority types aren't going to be building large scale operations, ya? Versus people who don't like the current authority, and but are fine with the concept and want to be the authority instead.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Hopefully the Dems are withdrawing the inquiry so they can just go with full blown impeachment.

Why would you hope that?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I'm seeing papers writing that while they the house has started the impeachment process, a majority vote in the house is needed to create an impeachment committee, before the "impeachment is real".

As far as I have been able to read, the single needed vote is the last majority vote to send the actual impeachment indictment to the Seneate for their vote of conviction.

No extra legal power is gained to the process, nor the committee that is supposedly needed, by a vote, right?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

refleks posted:

I'm seeing papers writing that while they the house has started the impeachment process, a majority vote in the house is needed to create an impeachment committee, before the "impeachment is real".

As far as I have been able to read, the single needed vote is the last majority vote to send the actual impeachment indictment to the Seneate for their vote of conviction.

No extra legal power is gained to the process, nor the committee that is supposedly needed, by a vote, right?

Correct.

Trump might as well be saying the democrats have to compete in a Double Dare tournament to start impeachment. Which that I actually would endorse.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

Correct.

Trump might as well be saying the democrats have to compete in a Double Dare tournament to start impeachment. Which that I actually would endorse.

Then I can also assume that the paper's distinction between "impeachment investigation" and "impeachment process" to be useless?

If i translate the headline directly into english it reads "Democrats hesitant with official impeachment investigation of Trump", and points to the lack of vote, but thats bullshit, no?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

refleks posted:

It depends on what the courts say

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

refleks posted:

Then I can also assume that the paper's distinction between "impeachment investigation" and "impeachment process" to be useless?

If i translate the headline directly into english it reads "Democrats hesitant with official impeachment investigation of Trump", and points to the lack of vote, but thats bullshit, no?

Correct, there's no distinction. It's bullshit. There's nothing saying a vote needs to be taken to begin an impeachment inquiry or investigation or process or whatever anyone want to call it. They just have to vote on impeachment at the end. Pelosi is smart to not do this dumb nothing vote because if she took it the Trump administration would then just make up a new hoop the democrats would have to jump through to make it legal and this would go on forever. That's their play.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1184308485237948416

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1184306888864874496

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1184285437596184577

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

This is the rhythm of the night
The night, oh yeah
The rhythm of the night
This is the rhythm of my life
My life, oh yeah
The rhythm of my life

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1184206348881399808

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1184296270539743232

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Dan Scavino is the director of social media? America has a a director of social media?

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

hellotoothpaste posted:

This is the rhythm of the night
The night, oh yeah
The rhythm of the night
This is the rhythm of my life
My life, oh yeah
The rhythm of my life

drat you

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Erd posted:

Dan Scavino is the director of social media? America has a a director of social media?

Dan Scavino is literally using the President’s account to retweet himself.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Fart Amplifier posted:

Nothing other than the SCOTUS can limit what they rule on
And the House would be totally justified in ignoring them. The Supreme Court is not, and was never intended to be, the final arbiter of every last goings-on in government. They have no authority over House business, and it would be a probably unprecendented Constitutional crisis for them to assert that they did.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Solkanar512 posted:

You don’t have to win a primary if you retire. If these were normal folks I would point out that they get their congressional pension after six years but even still they can just retire to sit on boards, lobby or jerk off all day.

Yeah, but the idea that congressional pensions are anything huge is just part of that "lazy government bloodsuckers" right-wing myth. After that six years you're retiring on a little fraction of your salary, just like most jobs that have pensions at all.

The real answer is that most people who make it into congress either come from wealthy backgrounds, or they have the skills and connections to make plenty of money wherever they go. The worst possible case is that they only skated into office out of family connections, and even that means they're not hurting for money.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005
The model Trump is citing:

https://www.moodysanalytics.com/-/media/article/2019/president-election-model.pdf

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1184215349811666944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

And the House would be totally justified in ignoring them. The Supreme Court is not, and was never intended to be, the final arbiter of every last goings-on in government. They have no authority over House business, and it would be a probably unprecendented Constitutional crisis for them to assert that they did.

so we're probably going to add that to the pile of crises in like six or so months then