Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

At least some of the Reader Rabbit games had trains, and they fit the timeframe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Maigius posted:

This is probably the longest shot in the dark, but I have only the vaguest memory of this game. It would have been a Windows game from at 94-96. What I know for sure was that was an educational game that involved riding a subway / train around to different stops that were the letters of the alphabet. There was also an express train that only stopped at vowels. The train had a sign that said "No Spitting!" in it.

Edit: This may not have been the only part to the game, but it's the only thing I remember.

there were a lot of "alphabet" edutainment games around that time and a lot of them were quite weird. possibly a "gigglebone gang" game?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
This one is a long shot. Windows game, it may have come pre-installed with the computer my family bought or maybe it was on one of those junky game compilation CDs. I think it purported to be educational in a Zoombinis-type way. 2d, and the crux of the game was that you'd create a monster by choosing parts and then take it around in a gothic Frankenstein castle type environment doing various things. I was mostly interested in the actual monster making part, which I distinctly recall involved the monster floating in a big glass tube. I think if you weren't happy with what you created you could also blend it up or something? Like I said, long shot.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Awesome Animated Monster Maker?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Lotion Tester posted:

Awesome Animated Monster Maker?

Ah cock, spent too long looking for it.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Oh my god, I love you.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Dang, I loved that game too and have spent awhile looking for it. Thank you!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I knew there was a good reason I spent so much time in the 90s playing educational games intended for much younger players.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Maigius posted:

This is probably the longest shot in the dark, but I have only the vaguest memory of this game. It would have been a Windows game from at 94-96. What I know for sure was that was an educational game that involved riding a subway / train around to different stops that were the letters of the alphabet. There was also an express train that only stopped at vowels. The train had a sign that said "No Spitting!" in it.

Edit: This may not have been the only part to the game, but it's the only thing I remember.

I found my own game Subway Sleuth: https://archive.org/details/msdos_Subway_Slueth_1991!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
This is more of a creativity application than a game, but it's worth a shot:

Old DOS application, I'm thinking either EGA or VGA graphics, that allowed you to create animated scenes by placing sprites in a background, sort of like Mario Paint but almost definitely earlier.

I distinctly remember a sprite animation of an anthropomorphic hamburger kind of puking up a tomato, but I can't say for certain it was built-in to the app, as my dad used to do some weird poo poo and I was pretty young.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

ALFbrot posted:

Old DOS application, I'm thinking either EGA or VGA graphics, that allowed you to create animated scenes by placing sprites in a background, sort of like Mario Paint but almost definitely earlier.

I distinctly remember a sprite animation of an anthropomorphic hamburger kind of puking up a tomato, but I can't say for certain it was built-in to the app, as my dad used to do some weird poo poo and I was pretty young.

It probably isn't Spinnaker's KidWriter (the one I remember is too early), but it might be so I'll mention it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Just had the sudden realization that this thread has kept its spooky name from last year on so long that it's relevant again.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
It adds a nice emphasis.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ALFbrot posted:

Probably not what you're looking for, but your post reminded me of Fantavision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjj7Yf3JRvE

Best viewed at 0.5 or 0.25 speed. I loved watching this demo when I was 5. :allears:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ALFbrot posted:

That would be the ultimate dad troll: program a bunch of weird poo poo into your kid's games so that when they grow up and try to track down their childhood favorites, they are left completely clueless and confused.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
This is one that's been on my mind a lot and it looks a little bit like the game displayed in Zwabu's custom title. (i know that's a warcraft game but it's not that)

You controlled (directly) heroes and went around a largish fantasy europe style map killing enemies for bounties. I feel like most of the heroes were european knights.
It had fantasy monsters like griffons and etc, the colour palette was a bit darker than the one in the picture above, but still kinda similar.

I played a demo of it years and years ago and I would love to actually play the game itself but I can't find it at all.

I want to compare it to Majesty but with direct control instead of more abstract and I genuinely don't remember if there was city building. I'd put it at maybe 10-15 years ago.

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 16, 2019

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Do you remember if you directly attacked people with your hero or if it was more of a strategy game? I guess you'd have remembered if it was Heroes of Might and Magic. Rage of Mages, maybe?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

HoMM was my first thought too.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Taear posted:

This is one that's been on my mind a lot and it looks a little bit like the game displayed in Zwabu's custom title. (i know that's a warcraft game but it's not that)

You controlled (directly) heroes and went around a largish fantasy europe style map killing enemies for bounties. I feel like most of the heroes were european knights.
It had fantasy monsters like griffons and etc, the colour palette was a bit darker than the one in the picture above, but still kinda similar.

I played a demo of it years and years ago and I would love to actually play the game itself but I can't find it at all.

I want to compare it to Majesty but with direct control instead of more abstract and I genuinely don't remember if there was city building. I'd put it at maybe 10-15 years ago.

If not a HoMM then maybe the inspiration for it, King's Bounty?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's neither HoMM or King's bounty - you directly controlled these guys and they didn't have armies. The combat took place on the map like an RTS, it wasn't in a separate screen. No bounties or anything really in HoMM or KB really either.
As I said - it's a bit like if you controlled the characters directly in Majesty.

I don't think you had a character that was "you" either, just ones you hired.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Do you remember if you directly attacked people with your hero or if it was more of a strategy game? I guess you'd have remembered if it was Heroes of Might and Magic. Rage of Mages, maybe?

Rage of Mages looks...similar but I think it's a tiny bit newer than that. It was definitely Knights rather than mages for the most part.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

ALFbrot posted:

Could it be Commodore 64? I had a game like this back in the day, Movie Maker.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ManxomeBromide posted:

It probably isn't Spinnaker's KidWriter (the one I remember is too early), but it might be so I'll mention it.
Indeed it is not, but this looks cool, too
quote="Shine" post="499179021"]
Probably not what you're looking for, but your post reminded me of Fantavision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjj7Yf3JRvE

Best viewed at 0.5 or 0.25 speed. I loved watching this demo when I was 5. :allears:
[/quote]
Definitely not this, but this is sick as hell

Golbez posted:

Could it be Commodore 64? I had a game like this back in the day, Movie Maker.
I've unfortunately never had a Commodore 64, so it's not this, either.

I'm starting to think this is just lost to time forever.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Taear posted:

It's neither HoMM or King's bounty - you directly controlled these guys and they didn't have armies. The combat took place on the map like an RTS, it wasn't in a separate screen. No bounties or anything really in HoMM or KB really either.
As I said - it's a bit like if you controlled the characters directly in Majesty.

This is making me think of Warlords, but Warlords had a (very basic) combat screen.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ManxomeBromide posted:

This is making me think of Warlords, but Warlords had a (very basic) combat screen.

It's not that (although I really liked warlords 3)

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Taear posted:

Could you be thinking of Hinterland?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'm speculating now because I haven't actually played any of these, but maybe Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns or its sequel?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I'm looking for a game for Windows that I would have played around 2000 or so. It used a top-down perspective, but played mostly like an adventure game with lots of dialogue, inventory object puzzles, etc. I remember the graphics being somewhat crude with a small number of colors. I think it was freeware but it could have been warez, I got it on a CD-R with a bunch of other junk for $1 at a dodgy convenience store.

One of the conversations near the start of the game goes something like:
"Hmm..."
"Hmm?"
"Hmm."
"Hmmburger?"
"With cheese."

I think that the title is something similar to "Crime Wave" but all that finds is stuff about the older DOS game with that title.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Im looking for a game i played as a kid, so late 80s early 90s, and it was one either the sega master system or the genesis. It was a sort of first person arena fight, and i believe you were in a mech. One of the first fights waa against a giant scorpion thing that had i believe mounted launchers. If it helps the arena had brick walls the enemy could use for cover.

I played it again thru emulation a decade ago but that entire pc died in a fire. Any help would be awesome.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Death Duel?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
This might be very tough because I have no knowledge of what the game looks like, but here goes -

Many years back, when I still read game review sites (namely Gamespot), I remember reading a scathing review of some horror game. All I remember is that it mentioned that the intro of the game has the protagonist's love interest get kidnapped by a floating hand (or multiple?), and that the scene's execution was way more comical than spooky.

I didn't read the review that deeply since horror games aren't my thing, but some days later I decided to see if I can find a clip of the scene for shits and giggles, but couldn't find the review again, and forgot the name of the game by then.

I don't suppose the floating hand kidnapping scene was memorable enough for anyone here to know what I'm talking about?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

If that isn't it I will poo poo

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Many years back, when I still read game review sites (namely Gamespot), I remember reading a scathing review of some horror game. All I remember is that it mentioned that the intro of the game has the protagonist's love interest get kidnapped by a floating hand (or multiple?), and that the scene's execution was way more comical than spooky.

Gamespot has all of it's reviews archived, all the way back to '97 or so.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Gynovore posted:

Gamespot has all of it's reviews archived, all the way back to '97 or so.

Yes, but my bad search skills failed to find it days after it was posted, this is years, maybe a decade later.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've asked this before, but very late 90s/very early 00s I remember seeing a review of a game where there was a space station or space ship and there were purple xenomorph/genestealer alien things, and there was a specific screengrab of an alien grabbing and shaking a camera you were watching it through. They had triangulary? hands.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

I love you! Thats it!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Splicer posted:

I've asked this before, but very late 90s/very early 00s I remember seeing a review of a game where there was a space station or space ship and there were purple xenomorph/genestealer alien things, and there was a specific screengrab of an alien grabbing and shaking a camera you were watching it through. They had triangulary? hands.

Is this a Spacehulk game maybe?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

This is a long shot, but maybe Incubation?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This might be very tough because I have no knowledge of what the game looks like, but here goes -

I didn't read the review that deeply since horror games aren't my thing, but some days later I decided to see if I can find a clip of the scene for shits and giggles, but couldn't find the review again, and forgot the name of the game by then.

I don't suppose the floating hand kidnapping scene was memorable enough for anyone here to know what I'm talking about?

What year/platform?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lotion Tester posted:

I'm looking for a game for Windows that I would have played around 2000 or so. It used a top-down perspective, but played mostly like an adventure game with lots of dialogue, inventory object puzzles, etc. I remember the graphics being somewhat crude with a small number of colors. I think it was freeware but it could have been warez, I got it on a CD-R with a bunch of other junk for $1 at a dodgy convenience store.

One of the conversations near the start of the game goes something like:
"Hmm..."
"Hmm?"
"Hmm."
"Hmmburger?"
"With cheese."

I think that the title is something similar to "Crime Wave" but all that finds is stuff about the older DOS game with that title.

Did some googling and found this weird game called Cult II: Federal Crime, seems to tick most of the boxes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJORav4MQQE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Here's one I'm struggling to figure out.

All I remember is you fall into an old mine/cave. Very Spyro looking crystals everywhere, being mined out. I remember it as being either part of Jak 1, or around that era, so 2001ish.

After you fall into the mine, it's got a little hub area? maybe? and then you take a minecart around and you have a minecart sequence. You maybe collect stuff above the minecart by jumping.

I could have sworn it was Jak 1, but no dice. It's not Jak 2/3 because it wasn't an "edgy" game, it was a light hearted game in those veins.

I was thinking maybe Ratchet and Clank, but no dice there either. You do "fall into" this mine from above, and it was a fairly linear game.

Am I crazy? Is this Jak 1. What's happening.