Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s pretty close to Remand and might be better, I think a lot of decks would play that

it's memory lapse but with the pay 3 clause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tubgoat posted:

Please remind me who Leaping Lizard is, the name sounds so familiar. Were they MTGO 1.0?

yeah!

if the emojis still work you can hit CTRL-Q, L you get a little lizard

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s pretty close to Remand and might be better, I think a lot of decks would play that

Lone Goat posted:

It should've been obvious since it's the sort of card that would randomly show up in lists here and there even if it wasn't optimal, but I didn't fully realize until I looked up its Oracle text for my joke that Memory Lapse isn't actually in modern. It's one of those random-rear end cards that was in core sets for a bit but you're not sure if it was in 8th/9th somewhere, or not.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I know, and Memory Lapse isn’t better than counterspell even though the cost is more flexible, so that card isn’t necessarily better than Mana Leak or Remand

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Lapse of Certainty is a Modern legal Memory Lapse though

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

When/how did you guys break to people you’re dating that you play Magic?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Used a timeout to force close our Unity

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

I just told her.

She doesn't really have a big interest in learning to play Magic but she likes the art and some of the characters. She thinks it's nice I have a hobby I'm passionate about. :shrug:

(She knew that I played Magic before we got together, so.)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

fadam posted:

When she showed me her Phelddagrif.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

TheKingofSprings posted:

Remand is a tempo play that doesn't cost you a card. It doesn't really do the same jobs as a hard counter in a deck that's trying to trade resources, and this card would already be a worse Mana Leak.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fadam posted:

When you're sure she isn't going to write an article for a blog making GBS threads on you for it

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

When you're sure she isn't going to write an article for a blog making GBS threads on you for it

At first I thought you were making some sort of reference to all the sex pest outings in the pro community in the last few years. It didn't fit well, but it was the only thing I could think of. Then I was like, oh yeah, that whole thing with Finkel.

Those were more innocent (if not actually better) times.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

fadam posted:

One very sporty and active woman I was dating spotted some of my flatmate’s cards lying around the lounge and asked who played. We told her we all did and she later said to me “you’re so handsome, and you’re amazing in bed, but you play MAGIC?!” (Her exact words, no poo poo.) I laughed it off but she never slept with me again after that... which was okay as it turned out she was a bit of a racist so good riddance

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

fadam posted:

Met my fiancée playing magic.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My wife and I have been dating/married for 15 years and I still haven't told her. I'd hate for her to think I'm some kind of nerd.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

fadam posted:

When the topic of hobbies comes up. I can’t say for certain if it has ever screwed me out of a second date, but it’s never screwed me out of a third. I typically chase pretty dorky women to begin with, though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I have literally never had a partner care about playing magic, like maybe that was a thing in the 90's but no one cares anymore grandpa

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

fadam posted:

A gal I dated a a long while and broke up with I actually got into Magic. After we broke up, she contacted me a few mos later for the commander decklists we used to play to play with her new dude.

I turned Magic into an STD.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^ ^ ^ HA! :hellyeah:

fadam posted:

A lady who first saw me when I was playing Magic drove out to my place for a hookup less than 8 hours later, does that count?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Being a "nerd" is a valid and popular social identity these days, I cannot imagine someone with a basic level of maturity strongly caring about your card game hobby in tyool 2019.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

fadam posted:

She found my DCI card and was like “what the gently caress is this”.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yoked posted:

She found my DCI card and was like “what the gently caress is this”.

My fiance was mildly amused at my geek levels for bragging about having a DCI number that is only 5 digits

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mat Cauthon posted:

Being a "nerd" is a valid and popular social identity these days, I cannot imagine someone with a basic level of maturity strongly caring about your card game hobby in tyool 2019.

Only because it's marketable.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
If you are an otherwise well-adjusted person and don't act like your popular hobby is some weird thing to be ashamed of and hidden, no one will care except weird and otherwise lovely people. Go be a nerd, just also have something else to offer people/society.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

just also have something else to offer people/society.

No.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Wafflecopper posted:

“you’re so handsome, and you’re amazing in bed, but you play MAGIC?!”

New thread title plz

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Looking at the MagicFest 2020 schedule, I'm considering going to the one in Seattle. As an extremely casual player / spectator, how much is there to do at one of these if I'm not interested in participating in the Grand Prix?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gilg posted:

Looking at the MagicFest 2020 schedule, I'm considering going to the one in Seattle. As an extremely casual player / spectator, how much is there to do at one of these if I'm not interested in participating in the Grand Prix?

Tons. There are package deals and events of all kinds firing constantly.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Wafflecopper posted:

One very sporty and active woman I was dating spotted some of my flatmate’s cards lying around the lounge and asked who played. We told her we all did and she later said to me “you’re so handsome, and you’re amazing in bed, but you play MAGIC?!” (Her exact words, no poo poo.) I laughed it off but she never slept with me again after that... which was okay as it turned out she was a bit of a racist so good riddance

LMFAO THIS OWNS

I was too nerdy and hot for her and she sucked and i got a 10 inch dick but she couldn't get over me playing magic

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If you are an otherwise well-adjusted person and don't act like your popular hobby is some weird thing to be ashamed of and hidden, no one will care except weird and otherwise lovely people. Go be a nerd, just also have something else to offer people/society and don't base your identity as a person around your hobby or media consumption habits

Made a minor addition but yes.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

fadam posted:

When she walked into my bedroom after our 2nd date and saw the white boxes lined up against a wall I just told her. It's only weird if you make it weird.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Made a minor addition but yes.

Yeah that edit is a better way of saying what I meant by my last comment.

an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation
I made a dumb jund rats and sac dragon thing. Any suggestions?

4 Blood Crypt
2 Castle Locthwain
4 Fabled Passage
3 Overgrown Tomb
3 Stomping Ground
2 Swamp
1 Mountain
2 Forest
2 Temple of Malady

3 Gilded Goose
3 Gutterbones
1 Claim the Firstborn
2 Angrath's Rampage
1 Assassin's Trophy
2 Once Upon a Time
3 Paradise Druid
3 Piper of the Swarm
2 Priest of Forgotten Gods
1 Ayara, First of Locthwain
2 Bedevil
4 Mayhem Devil
2 Mad Ratter
2 Rankle, Master of Pranks
2 Vraska, Golgari Queen
1 Syr Konrad, the Grim
3 Korvold, Fae-Cursed King

2 Veil of Summer
2 Find // Finality
2 Legion's End
1 Drill Bit
3 Noxious Grasp
1 Bedevil
2 Ashiok, Dream Render
2 Assassin's Trophy

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Mrs. Krabappel and Principal Skinner were in the closet making babies and I saw one of the babies and then the baby looked at me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

And that woman's name? Albert Einstein.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 16, 2019

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I don't know what the wife does on a Friday night and she doesn't know what I do.

How does Throne of Eldraine feel in paper/MTGO? The bots have made it pretty mill-centric and I'm wondering if it's the same with humans.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > You're ugly, terrible in bed, and play Magic

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tibalt posted:

I don't know what the wife does on a Friday night and she doesn't know what I do.

How does Throne of Eldraine feel in paper/MTGO? The bots have made it pretty mill-centric and I'm wondering if it's the same with humans.

It’s still has a real chance of decking being a wincon since the ground tends to get gummed up by fat butts and removal is real strong so it’s hard to establish a real threat long enough to win a game. It doesn’t help that everyone’s starting to figure out that drafting good Aggro is rare and difficult in Eldraine so a lot of people are making decks intended to go over the top of each other instead of playing a balanced game of Magic.

That said, it’s better off then Arena because the removal is actually making it into the hands of the player. If you can make something like a Garenburg Paladin (probably the single most underrated common in the format currently- it’s probably the best green common after Witchstalker- Outmuscle has a terrible record in my experience about getting blown out by removal or adventure-based tricks in this formal) stick on the board and use your removal to clear the way, you can still close out a game pretty quick. Likewise, removal and equipment making it to human hands means you can actually MAKE an Aggro deck that works if it’s open, instead of Aggro just instantly falling apart to a turn 1 Secretkeeper that’s never gonna die.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Aranan posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > You're ugly, terrible in bed, and play Magic

Turn on your monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I kind of regretted asking the S.O question because being sincere sucks but lmao I keep thinking about Wafflecopter’s post and loling irl.