Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

CelestialScribe is some upper middle class rightwing-but-claims-to-be-leftwing Aussie dude whose posting career ITT can be summed up with the words "bad" and "faith",

Oh I’m definitely upper middle class.

Right wing is a new one, though.

I guess I’m right wing compared to those who view Bernie Sanders as a compromise?

I agree with every part of his platform. I just think he would be a bad president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I hope we see more people drop out now, especially the ones who didn't qualify for this debate.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

Oh I’m definitely upper middle class.

Right wing is a new one, though.

I guess I’m right wing compared to those who view Bernie Sanders as a compromise?

I agree with every part of his platform. I just think he would be a bad president.

Dude when I accuse you of posting in bad faith you're not supposed to immediately prove me right lmao.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

Dude when I accuse you of posting in bad faith you're not supposed to immediately prove me right lmao.

I mean if you would like to articulate one of my supposed right wing positions I’m all ears.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CelestialScribe posted:

If Warren is really as bad as folks in this thread say she is, why would you ever want to endorse her after losing?

Because he is nice. I am not. I wouldn't. He is. What is your point?

CelestialScribe posted:

So....politics is completely justified when it's to benefit a Republican getting elected...

But it's not justified in order to pass a more palatable version of a bill, like Medicare for All?

If Warren is really as evil as the people in this thread say, then they should be outraged at the notion Sanders will endorse her. Plain and simple.

Yeah, I think it sucks that he will endorse her if she wins, because she isn't for Medicare for All and it isn't more palatable. Again, what is your point?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

I mean if you would like to articulate one of my supposed right wing positions I’m all ears.

Continually concern trolling left-wing issues like M4A, for starters.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Majorian posted:

Continually concern trolling left-wing issues like M4A, for starters.

I think Medicare for All is good policy. My issue with this thread is that it seems to view anything less than that as completely evil, as opposed to a misguided attempt that still does some good.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

I think Medicare for All is good policy. My issue with this thread is that it seems to view anything less than that as completely evil, as opposed to a misguided attempt that still does some good.

No, you’re concern trolling. We know this, because you’ve been doing it literally for years now.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Majorian posted:

No, you’re concern trolling. We know this, because you’ve been doing it literally for years now.

Oh okay.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CelestialScribe posted:

It won't actually do any good because private insurance will undermine it and kill it.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

CelestialScribe posted:

Hi, you are a right wing weirdo.

CelestialScribe posted:

MadJackal posted:

If the next Democratic president went full blown Cold War Aggression on these places, I'd openly support it.

Russia exports misery and anti-democracy to the world in a time where it's already on the decline. gently caress them and gently caress their cyber stormtroopers.

Seconded. gently caress Russia. If they didn't have nukes I'd openly support invasion.

CelestialScribe posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke post or if you're serious, but no, it isn't all you need. If all you do is reimburse students for tuition you've done nothing to put pressure on prices. For the same reason universal health care systems provide reimbursement and also implement strict cost controls.

(This is about public tuition, which is already price controlled, so dropping these concerns is right wing FUD garbage. Relatedly...)

CelestialScribe posted:

It is a very real concern that increasing the minimum wage too quickly in a low-wage environment will cause unemployment to rise. This is not a partisan attack, it's an economic reality.

CelestialScribe posted:

A marriage that ends is by definition a failure, given the intention of marriage is a lifetime relationship.

I mean, people might be better off getting divorced on a personal level, but the whole point of marriage is to be married until either of you die. If you don't meet that goal, it's by definition a failure.

Or just search your posts for "tax returns" to turn up a million hang wringing about Bernard Sanders for some reason. Can't imagine what about Bernie would make you be really concerned about his perfidious wealth? :thunk:

bonus lol:

CelestialScribe posted:

Someone smart tell me whether I should be worried about North Korea readying nukes.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Breakfast All Day posted:

Hi, you are a right wing weirdo.

(This is about public tuition, which is already price controlled, so dropping these concerns is right wing FUD garbage. Relatedly...)

Or just search your posts for "tax returns" to turn up a million hang wringing about Bernard Sanders for some reason. Can't imagine what about Bernie would make you be really concerned about his perfidious wealth? :thunk:

bonus lol:

:yikes:

But also lmao forever.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
#1. Haha yeah gently caress Russia.

#2. I wasn't aware there were price controls on tuition? If so then...you completely agree with the point I'm making there?

#3. Yeah? If you raise the minimum wage quickly in a low-wage environment, there is evidence to suggest it causes unemployment. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, it just means you need to policy to manage it.

#4. Not sure what that view has anything to do with anything we're discussing here, but sure!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's been pretty clear for years that acquiring nuclear weapons is the sanest thing for North Korea and Iran to be doing.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Libya was a huge wakup call for them. If Gaddafi had kept his nukes he might still have been alive and in power.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
“I support the invasion of Russia” is not just hind-brained stupidity, it’s a hind-brained stupidity with bona fides. Kind of impressive, really.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Gresh posted:

this is kamala to me, with amy i feel like she could snap and start throwing binders at any moment

This is Warren everytime she talks. I'm serious when I say an important hurdle for every dem candidate is going to be having the right posture to deal with Trump's jock bully persona. Bernie has it, Yang has it, Warren and most of the others do not.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
"I'm not a rightwinger. Now let me explain to you why I support marching east to destroy the Slavic menace that is conspiring to destroy western civilization."

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

I still think we should just give every president 2 Justices per term and switch the supreme Court to having justices on a case randomly picked like we do for federal appeals courts

The second half of your sentence is Bernie's plan for the courts.

Edit) I cant find the white paper for this. Can somebody help out with a link? IIRC it can be done through Federal statutes.

Yadoppsi fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 16, 2019

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Eschenique posted:

Libya was a huge wakup call for them. If Gaddafi had kept his nukes he might still have been alive and in power.

He never had nukes, or anything close to it. When he finally turned over all his "weapons" to the brits, he had some barrels of mustard gas that probably were inert.

Reagan and co spent so much time hyping him up in the 80s that people believed he was actually a threat, instead of just some random dude who, at the height of his power, lost a war against Chad.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

CelestialScribe posted:

"I think it's a good thing and also dont actually support it"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

just some random dude who, at the height of his power, lost a war against Chad.

No shame in that, so did Florida

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CelestialScribe posted:

Anything less is completely evil.
With a few exceptions for "unacceptable".

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Unoriginal Name posted:

"I think it's a good thing and also dont actually support it"

"I refuse to acknowledge any policy proposal other than M4A could be a net positive over status quo because it's not acceptable to position M4A as the best of many options, but rather the only option"

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

KingNastidon posted:

"I refuse to acknowledge any policy proposal other than M4A could be a net positive over status quo because it's not acceptable to position M4A as the best of many options, but rather the only option"

Because any alternative would be just as hard to pass as M4A so why bother spending the effort to pass a a lovely compromise when M4A exists and is incredibly popular?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

kidkissinger posted:

Because any alternative would be just as hard to pass as M4A so why bother spending the effort to pass a a lovely compromise when M4A exists and is incredibly popular?

If m4a is so popular than why am I saying it isn't

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A public option and price controls could work just as well as M4A (the German system, for example). A public option could also be worthless and effectively banned by law from being any better than private insurance is today (the public option in the House version of Obamacare).

Problem is, none of the candidates talking about a public option have given us any details about where it would fall in that spectrum, and it is not a good sign that they either don't understand the details or don't know what they want to accomplish or do know but don't want us to find out before they get elected.

(Very odd that the posters who demand endless detail about minutiae like reimbursement rate formulas are seemingly uninterested in whether a "public option" would even be worthy of the name, I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation (lol))

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

kidkissinger posted:

Because it's not a good faith argument to claim any possible alternative would not simply be inferior to M4A, but actually a net negative relative to status quo?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Gloating Bernie stans seem to assume that an endorsement is necessarily exclusive? Some great tears to be had when AOC endorses Warren and Harris the next day

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

(Very odd that the posters who demand endless detail about minutiae like reimbursement rate formulas are seemingly uninterested in whether a "public option" would even be worthy of the name, I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation (lol))

Because the existence of a public option wouldn't affect people that do not use that public option -- or at least some amount less than having their current insurance replaced completely. Hope that helps!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KingNastidon posted:

Because the existence of a public option wouldn't affect people that do not use that public option -- or at least some amount less than having their current insurance replaced completely. Hope that helps!

This is, shockingly honest of you.

Do you think this makes your position look good lmao

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1184437891197472769

Here's a video they produced for Ilhan Omar's endorsement. I'm so, so happy to see this.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

KingNastidon posted:

Because it's not a good faith argument to claim any possible alternative would not simply be inferior to M4A, but actually a net negative relative to status quo?

Spending what little political capital we have to establish a system inferior to M4A would be an overall negative yeah.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

Spending what little political capital we have to establish a system inferior to M4A would be an overall negative yeah.

It's also not very ⭐🌟pragmatic💫💖, politically speaking.

One of the things we learned from ACA is if you pass a healthcare reform bill, you own all the problems with the healthcare system. Everything bad that stuck around after we passed Obamacare became Obamacare's fault. And nobody gives a poo poo about ":actually: that problem bankrupting you already existed and we made it 1.92% better, you're welcome. Vote for us again because we know how to fix that problem too we just decided not to last time for political reasons"

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

This is, shockingly honest of you.

Do you think this makes your position look good lmao

What position? I personally think M4A is the best policy. I don't think there's anyone here that thinks otherwise. With that being established, there are endless ways for M4A to be implemented and run.

These details are helpful to discuss because anyone that's skeptical is likely so because they don't understand how it'd work in practice. In a simplistic example, someone's personal experience would be vastly different if the per capita spend was $1k or $10k or $20k. If you don't believe this is true then why are there gripes about changes to NHS if a single payer system still exists? Funding matters.

Now apply that same thinking to a public option. People that do not believe they'll need to use that public option don't need to care about the details because the perception is that it won't affect their private insurance. Ideally this isn't true, because any effective public option would in fact affect them because it'd put cost pressure on providers (eg drug prices) and have carry-over effects on those still on private insurance. But explaining this to voters is a lot more complicated than saying "If you like your insurance you can keep it!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the people mad on twitter own.

https://twitter.com/HoarseWisperer/status/1184311433925971970

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Calibanibal posted:

Gloating Bernie stans seem to assume that an endorsement is necessarily exclusive? Some great tears to be had when AOC endorses Warren and Harris the next day

Yeah that's not very likely.

They will endorse Warren if Sanders drops out but Harris is practically done at this point, she's #4 and dropping.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lmao, what an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

"I never wanted to hang with the cool kids anyway"
:qqsay: