Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Davincie posted:

i don't watch police anime cause i oppose the police state

brave...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Ascendance of a Bookworm is good so far, one of the rare examples I've seen of an isekai that's focused on down-to-earth human stuff and the strangeness and melancholy of being in such a situation, without any of the usual videogame mechanics or battle powers. The main character being voiced by Yuka Iguchi and having consistently hilarious inner thoughts also helps.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i want to like bookworm but there's been 0 secondary points of interest so far beyond the MC. the art direction and supporting cast are super bland. without knowing the source material it feels like a really perfunctory take on its concept

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

i want to like bookworm but there's been 0 secondary points of interest so far beyond the MC. the art direction and supporting cast are super bland. without knowing the source material it feels like a really perfunctory take on its concept

Here's some spoilers from the novel for some of the things that prompt the story to really take off. This will be covered in the anime, based on promotional material.
Main will succeed in making wood pulp paper, with the help of Lutz. Paper production is a lucrative business. Study the episode 1 opening scene carefully.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 15, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But does it really beat the power of Tarou getting smacked upside the head with a rolled-up paper? :crossarms:

(I'm sorry; it's still one of my favorite small bits of physical comedy in anime :allears:)

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

nielsm posted:

Here's some spoilers from the novel for some of the things that prompt the story to really take off. This will be covered in the anime, based on promotional material.
Main will succeed in making wood pulp paper, with the help of Lutz. Paper production is a lucrative business. Study the episode 1 opening scene carefully.

I had completely forgotten that opening scene existed. Just went and rewatched it now, and... well, that was weird.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I stopped reading Bookworm because "normal person who uses their layman's knowledge of history to invent literally everything in a pre-modern era" is actually one of the worst isekai tropes. And it was veering in that direction.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it definitely already did its job at making me realize that dr. stone is an isekai

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Clarste posted:

I stopped reading Bookworm because "normal person who uses their layman's knowledge of history to invent literally everything in a pre-modern era" is actually one of the worst isekai tropes. And it was veering in that direction.

colonialism for the freakin' win

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

we need faster transportation? well i was a vlogger in my past life, but i know OF cars... hand me a paper and quill. i may look 12 but i have the soul of a 16 year old, so i've been around the block

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

An Isekai where the protag only kinda remembers the science behind stuff and just has to BS trial and error their way into inventing the light bulb or something.

"I'm trapped in another world but I only got a B in Science". @ me publishers.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Ideal Sponger Life had the protag know he's going to go to another world, so he loaded up on books and DVDs that had information he could refer to later, plus a turbine that could be hooked up to a water wheel to power computer, lights, & AC in his room. Makes a lot more sense than randomly having all necessary knowledge, and even with his reference material he still runs into issues with gaps in his knowledge like how to make firebricks.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nephthys posted:

An Isekai where the protag only kinda remembers the science behind stuff and just has to BS trial and error their way into inventing the light bulb or something.

Isn't that basically what actually happens in Bookworm? In the early chapters, Myne experiments with various paper-making processes that fail horribly because of something she didn't account for.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, Myne is constantly having to experiment cause the fantasy world isn't a 1-to-1 analogue with the real world, so for example one of the best types of paper she discovers is made from this dangerous spontaneously spawning plant that just eats up the land, and she herself only has her knowledge from whatever she picked up from reading, but sometimes she only knows a method was only historically done rather than that how-tos for it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funniest subversion of that idea is rinnosuke in touhou's power being that he can understand what something does, but not how it does it

so he just assumes that tvs work because there are tiny men inside of them and that a camera is reaching into an alternate dimension and permanently sealing the people in that dimension in a photo

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1184108426101694465

This does not seem good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cautious Animation Studio: The Animators are Good But Poorly Paid

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My Hero Academia's getting a break too, and I think one or two others.

It's probably just the typhoon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

They're probably just being cautious due to the typhoon.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Endorph posted:

the funniest subversion of that idea is rinnosuke in touhou's power being that he can understand what something does, but not how it does it

so he just assumes that tvs work because there are tiny men inside of them and that a camera is reaching into an alternate dimension and permanently sealing the people in that dimension in a photo

additionally since his understanding of the function of objects is based on his (limited) knowledge he can come up with wildly wrong conclusions. like he finds a gameboy and thinks its a wmd (he sees it as "control objects", game objects but he cant understand that level of it) kind of deal.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

additionally since his understanding of the function of objects is based on his (limited) knowledge he can come up with wildly wrong conclusions. like he finds a gameboy and thinks its a wmd (he sees it as "control objects", game objects but he cant understand that level of it) kind of deal.

IIRC, with the gameboy specifically he understand it as an object that "creates and destroys worlds with the flip of a switch" or something.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Clarste posted:

IIRC, with the gameboy specifically he understand it as an object that "creates and destroys worlds with the flip of a switch" or something.

I don't think I ever actually got this far in Curiosities myself so I looked it up and this is the quote on there

quote:

What that item does is that it can apparently control just about anything. For example, manipulating people, making them fight, starting wars and, depending on the circumstances, even destroying the world. It’s just as if it were a god’s tool. But by looking at it, it doesn’t seem like anything that powerful, or at least that was what my eyes told me.

It may expand further on in the chapter but I don't have a ton of time to look rn. Either way it's pretty funny.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Endorph posted:

That's pretty metal. I'd do more portrait photography if cameras actually worked that way.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Nephthys posted:

I think that's kind of what everyone thinks they want to read, but clearly it's hard to write well. I was hoping Dr Stone would at least have a moment of "drat, this idea needs a mineral that's not available around here".

Alternatively: the protagonist was some kind of scientist, but the fantasy world has different rules. (Which I guess ends up the same way: they have good ideas, but can't skip the intermediate steps)

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

it definitely already did its job at making me realize that dr. stone is an isekai

When you realize that "Robinson Crusoe", "The Mysterious Island" and "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" are isekai.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

All of the "use ordinary skill to conquer a fantasy world" stories are ultimately descendants of Lest Darkness Fall. Which makes them dad-fiction.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

When you realize that "Robinson Crusoe", "The Mysterious Island" and "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" are isekai.

Connecticut Yankee is like 300% isekai. That's not even ironic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dzhay posted:

I think that's kind of what everyone thinks they want to read, but clearly it's hard to write well. I was hoping Dr Stone would at least have a moment of "drat, this idea needs a mineral that's not available around here".

That's what going to get the Hydrochloric acid was really. And the iron sand. Dr Stone is also very much about knowing a lot without understanding it all, as several entire episodes are built on Senku knowing what the steps are to make something without the actual skillsets to make it right (eg; Glassblowing, smithing iron, or winemaking)

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Clarste posted:

Gulliver's travels? Il Milione? The naked sun? Futurama?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

YggdrasilTM posted:

Gulliver's travels? Il Milione? The naked sun? Futurama?

The Naked Sun seems like a reverse isekai, instead of a hikki going to a world of normies a normie goes to a world of hikkis.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's what going to get the Hydrochloric acid was really. And the iron sand. Dr Stone is also very much about knowing a lot without understanding it all, as several entire episodes are built on Senku knowing what the steps are to make something without the actual skillsets to make it right (eg; Glassblowing, smithing iron, or winemaking)

Yeah, but it was all in walking distance. (and Senku is apparently enough of a geologist to identify these things, on top of being a weirdly perfect chemist. (...and an engineer, and a medic))

I love what the show's doing, but it is kind of cheating most of the time.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/pkjd8I8/status/1184280409565093893

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dzhay posted:

Yeah, but it was all in walking distance. (and Senku is apparently enough of a geologist to identify these things, on top of being a weirdly perfect chemist. (...and an engineer, and a medic))

I love what the show's doing, but it is kind of cheating most of the time.

It's cheating for the sake of story progression, which is pretty acceptable. Just going to get black powder components was a hell of a trek, and you can't really spin that out for every single mineral. There's only so much time to fill per episode (or manga chapter) and they do a decent job of showing mistakes as well as successes where time permits.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Don't they say that it was like 6 months to a year from when they settled down outside that village to when they cured her sickness? It's not like he got all that stuff in a week.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don't they say that it was like 6 months to a year from when they settled down outside that village to when they cured her sickness? It's not like he got all that stuff in a week.

Senku mentions it's been six months when he enters the village for the Grand Bout. A lot of the skipped time is also all the time spent building and making their equipment too.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Clarste posted:

Connecticut Yankee is one of the worst offenders in terms of the protagonist just making modern things with the logistics being handwaved. There’s an interesting ambivalence towards the protagonist, though. When I first read it as a kid, I assumed that the main character’s views were basically Twain’s views. When I read it again in high school, though, I realized that while he’s initially a mouthpiece for Twain’s views to a degree, he becomes corrupted by power. Which makes sense; Twain took a dim view of the Middle Ages and of fiction that glorified it (even blaming Walter Scott for the American Civil War in Life on the Mississippi), but he was also a member of the Anti-Imperialist League.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

I'm a fan of this one without having read any of it because the mc's aesthetic of small girl in baggy coat is the artist's fetish ever since they drew kancolle hibiki wearing the player's coat and sniffing it

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Suplexing vampires!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

They posted the OP and ED for Beastars ahead of tomorrow's episode if you don't want to wait.

OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgo9dJB_icw

ED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMweKnCCQXg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Space Flower posted:

I'm a fan of this one without having read any of it because the mc's aesthetic of small girl in baggy coat is the artist's fetish ever since they drew kancolle hibiki wearing the player's coat and sniffing it

I read the first volume of the novel, and it's kind of similar to Kino no Tabi, in that it's about the main character traveling to different countries (that usually consist of a single city), staying there for a bit, then moving on to the next one.
But where Kino is mostly neutral, Elaina is a sarcastic rear end in a top hat that doesn't mind abusing her status as a witch for personal gain (usually to fund further travels).
The individual stories range from cute (like the very first one), to honestly kinda creepy (the "horror" meaning of that word, not the "there's a sex thing"-meaning) immediately after that.

There's a manga too, but the translations only go up to chapter 3.