Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
For as much, or as little as any the Brexit secretary says matters;

quote:

The Brexit secretary, Stephen Barclay, has indicated that Boris Johnson will send a letter to the EU seeking an extension if there is no agreement by Saturday.

Pressed by the Commons’ Brexit committee over whether the prime minister would obey the Benn act, Barclay said the government “will abide by that text”.

He also denied knowledge of any plan to send a second letter to Brussels asking officials to ignore the first letter because the government did not want an extension.

The legislation passed by MPs opposed to a no-deal exit from the EU requires the PM to ask the EU to extend article 50 beyond 31 October should a deal not be agreed by 19 October.

[...]

Ministers have indicated the government could send a second letter asking the EU to ignore the first letter asking for an extension. The business secretary, Andrea Leadsom, asked by ITV’s Robert Peston last week if the PM would send a second letter disavowing the first, replied: “Absolutely”.

Joanna Cherry, the SNP MP and committee member, asked Barclay if there was a plan to send two letters. “I am not aware of any such plan,” he replied.

Robert Buckland, the justice secretary and lord chancellor, told another select committee he was committed to “upholding the rule of law” as its “guardian in cabinet”, promising it was a role he took extremely seriously.

His comments suggest he would not tolerate any move by Downing Street to disobey the law by refusing to stick within the strictures of the Benn act.

I seriously hope Johnson has to eat poo poo.

[e]: 147 ~ Number of onanisms Johnson commits every hour, leading to; bloating, bad skin, straw-like hair, and delusions of statesmanship.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Also BLEEDING URETHRAL MEATUS is my wheatus cover band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NQ0gN6k0EU

FRACTURED PENIS! BLEEDING MEATUS! JIZZING OUT MY SPIRIT SO I HAVE TO LIVE INDOORS! :black101:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Guavanaut posted:

Vibration for women's health!

It's a weird theme popular in Victorian medicine and still popular in Ayurvedic medicine that semen is somehow connected to cerebrospinal fluid because it looks like watery cum, so a spoonful of jizz is a pint of CSF, and a spoonful of CSF is a pint of blood and you can wank your spirit out.

Victorian and Ayurvedic doctors: Women belong indoors and don't think about sex.

CSF is "gin clear" and not very much like cum at all.

I can't believe I just wrote that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1184425897522278400?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

knox_harrington posted:

The medical practitioners that believed that you could wank your spirit out of your body may not have been 100% on their human anatomy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's what the lumpy bits are, that's your spirit, spirit is stored in the balls.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
According to Bruno Waterfield for the Times, there have been ‘hiccusps’ in talks, and now it’s pretty much impossible for anything to happen by October 31st. Johnson will either have to demand an extension, or ignore and refuse to comply with the Benn Act.
Edit: Hahahaha, ‘best we can do is a political agreement, but can’t do anything more until we have a legally binding text (which Germany thinks could take two months), by the way we won’t even bother starting until after we see what happens with the vote on saturday’,

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 16, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

OwlFancier posted:

That's what the lumpy bits are, that's your spirit, spirit is stored in the balls.

One day when I was a boy my spirit dropped.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NQ0gN6k0EU

FRACTURED PENIS! BLEEDING MEATUS! JIZZING OUT MY SPIRIT SO I HAVE TO LIVE INDOORS! :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjLhLgdhzMQ

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

gh0stpinballa posted:

once you've developed a sufficiently detailed intelligence profile of XR and you've given their occupy stunts time to harden the public against them, you stop playing nice and start cracking heads. which is what is happening now.
They're being quietly and politely given time to move on, it's hardly cracking heads.

Red Oktober posted:

I've been toying with the idea recently that it could be a good thing for Corbyn to step down sometime soon. He's done amazing things for the party and growing the vote, but there are still a significant amount of people out there who believe he's a communist/anti-semite/hard-brexiter, whatever, and it feels like we're hitting diminishing returns now.
The thing that I find most annoying about this is the refusal to acknowledge that Labour has three times as many members as the Tory party, and if it wasn't for gerrymandering would have had a storming majority. The labour party has had a huge increase in popularity since Corbyn, and is only popular because of his leftist policies. So the problems with replacing Corbyn are twofold:

1) Replacing Corbyn cuts out the support the party currently has. Centrists like to imagine that by playing nice we can pull over some of the right from other parties, but what happens instead is we lose the left, and the right do this:

2) If the party elects another left-leaning leader to keep its base, they will suffer the exact same fate in the press. Look how the papers are starting to attack McDonnell just in case he's next in line.

This "maybe Corbyn should step down because nobody likes him and he's standing in the way of a Labour landslide" is loving insidious (my wife even said it a few nights ago), because it openly acknowledges the huge surge in popularity for labour, while refusing to acknowledge that it's entirely down to Corbyn.

Essentially the argument is "oh poo poo Corbyn might win because he's popular, time to go maximum centrist by removing the thing we actually want because compromise" when compromising with the right never loving works.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9EfAOsHwLI

(I kinda want that hall and oates logo as a decal)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

knox_harrington posted:

IANAD, but clearly the CSF samples you saw were from people who regularly self-polluted, draining the CSF of its spirit essence. Check and mate. :colbert:

Pesmerga posted:

According to Bruno Waterfield for the Times, there have been ‘hiccusps’ in talks, and now it’s pretty much impossible for anything to happen by October 31st. Johnson will either have to demand an extension, or ignore and refuse to comply with the Benn Act.
Edit: Hahahaha, ‘best we can do is a political agreement, but can’t do anything more until we have a legally binding text (which Germany thinks could take two months), by the way we won’t even bother starting until after we see what happens with the vote on saturday’,

loving :lol:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pesmerga posted:

Ah constitutional chaos, you're never far away from my government and my heart.

That said Labour are a little bit hosed regardless, the Tories do well if there's a deal, they do well if they can convince enough of the public that there was a deal but the EU and remoaner parliament shot it down, the lib dems and the Tories do well if there's no deal and the lib dems will probably do well if there's an extension.

As I've said for months, if this election is about Brexit then Labour are going to suffer.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"Freeborn Englishman"

Why is my dog going nuts every time I read this part of the tweet :thunk:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Agree but most people think anything that happens to a criminal is fine by them. Eg notice how 'police kill unarmed suspect who just happened to be the same colour as a criminal they were after' is swiftly followed by newspaper reports that 'yeah but he smoked dope once /stole some sweets off the sweetie counter in Woolworths when he was 6 so actually it's absolutely fine that he was killed.'

But off topic, but there was a show on channel 4 a couple of years back where they put on a mock trial for a rapist. They made it a "he said she said" sort of case, happened at a party, they were friends etc., the kind of case that would never get a prosecution let alone a conviction in the real world. When they got the opinions of watchers/jurors they would say how yes the guy was guilty, but is it really worth ruining his life, and one of them stood out to me because she was saying he shouldn't go to jail because it's not for people like him, she was on the cusp of saying that jail is for murderers and rapists but didn't quite get to the realisation that the rapist actually deserved the harsh punishment...

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Marmaduke! posted:

But off topic, but there was a show on channel 4 a couple of years back where they put on a mock trial for a rapist. They made it a "he said she said" sort of case, happened at a party, they were friends etc., the kind of case that would never get a prosecution let alone a conviction in the real world. When they got the opinions of watchers/jurors they would say how yes the guy was guilty, but is it really worth ruining his life, and one of them stood out to me because she was saying he shouldn't go to jail because it's not for people like him, she was on the cusp of saying that jail is for murderers and rapists but didn't quite get to the realisation that the rapist actually deserved the harsh punishment...

I think it's a bit like the thing posted earlier about harshness of sentences. Are sentences in general too lenient - YES! Ok look at these specific cases - that's fine, that's fine, ooh that's a bit harsh actually. But sentences in general are too lenient!!

People hold a distinction between jumping out of bushes rape and the kind you mention, are presented with the latter, agree he's a rapist, continue to hold distinction above.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"Freeborn Englishman"

Why is my dog going nuts every time I read this part of the tweet :thunk:
Funnily enough, the phrase has far more historical use in Radical, left wing, and abolitionist circles than it does as a dogwhistle.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Chinese religious epic Journey to the West is about a monk who has attained supreme spiritual purity through pursuing a strict no-loving, no-fapping regime for multiple reincarnations. As such, every single demon in Asia wants to either eat him or have sex with him and then eat him, and his monkey bodyguard has to beat them all off with his magical expanding staff.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Not sure what's better about Grant Shapps announcing 'Northern Rail' (or Northern, as they have actually been called for years now) could be nationalised: the old Tory trick of sticking a blue ribbon on a Labour manifesto promise they previously attacked (see Miliband energy caps) or the complete failure to understand that nationalising that particular TOC won't resolve any of the issues they are having :allears:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The thing that I find most annoying about this is the refusal to acknowledge that Labour has three times as many members as the Tory party, and if it wasn't for gerrymandering would have had a storming majority...

?

this is so far from conventional wisdom that some elaboration would be welcome

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bobstar posted:

I think it's a bit like the thing posted earlier about harshness of sentences. Are sentences in general too lenient - YES! Ok look at these specific cases - that's fine, that's fine, ooh that's a bit harsh actually. But sentences in general are too lenient!!

People hold a distinction between jumping out of bushes rape and the kind you mention, are presented with the latter, agree he's a rapist, continue to hold distinction above.

This was a minor part of the David Nutt shenanigans that stuck with me. People were in favour of giving cannabis at least a Class B, maybe even a Class A status (i.e. definitely illegal) but also massively in favour of really lenient sentences.

The contradiction never seemed a problem.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

his monkey bodyguard has to beat them all off
That'd stop them wanting to have sex with him for about half an hour, but how does it stop them wanting to eat him?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ronya posted:

?

this is so far from conventional wisdom that some elaboration would be welcome

Very on brand to demand more words.

Also,

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1184444300706353152

welp

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

The Chinese religious epic Journey to the West is about a monk who has attained supreme spiritual purity through pursuing a strict no-loving, no-fapping regime for multiple reincarnations. As such, every single demon in Asia wants to either eat him or have sex with him and then eat him, and his monkey bodyguard has to beat them all off with his magical expanding staff.

And that's how owen smith met his wife.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
He might have done it: apparently DUP are drooping objections, which was the main sticking point left. If true, I wonder how many billions they were just promised.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Not sure what's better about Grant Shapps announcing 'Northern Rail' (or Northern, as they have actually been called for years now) could be nationalised: the old Tory trick of sticking a blue ribbon on a Labour manifesto promise they previously attacked (see Miliband energy caps) or the complete failure to understand that nationalising that particular TOC won't resolve any of the issues they are having :allears:

But it is nationalised. Deutsche Bahn owns Arriva who own Northern.

Although I can see some good potential spin there to convince gammons that we're really reclaiming out railways from those nasty Krauts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This was a minor part of the David Nutt shenanigans that stuck with me. People were in favour of giving cannabis at least a Class B, maybe even a Class A status (i.e. definitely illegal) but also massively in favour of really lenient sentences.

That's an easy to solve contradiction.

Cannabis moves to class A, but Class A drug penalties are reduced to like 5 years or a fine for selling without a licence or no penalty for simple possession, Class B and C are reduced accordingly.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Does whatever deal he has still need to be voted on?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
In reality. If agreed, it puts the border between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, leaving NI more economically aligned with, and indeed, having less of a border with, Ireland. It’s about as big a move towards Irish reunification as you could get short of a border poll...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Ayup. Has to be voted on, date set for the emergency sitting of parliament on Saturday.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oh okay phew https://twitter.com/DUPleader/status/1184447621106143234?s=19

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Pesmerga posted:

In reality. If agreed, it puts the border between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, leaving NI more economically aligned with, and indeed, having less of a border with, Ireland. It’s about as big a move towards Irish reunification as you could get short of a border poll...

The DUP must have been ensured that this deal will never be able to pass a vote and that was, indeed, only put out to be voted down by Parliament, so that BoJo could say that he tried to deliver and was blocked by the perfidious lefts.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

VideoGames posted:

If the DUP and ERG drop their objections and vote in favour, it becomes much much tighter.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

The DUP must have been ensured that this deal will never be able to pass a vote and that was, indeed, only put out to be voted down by Parliament, so that BoJo could say that he tried to deliver and was blocked by the perfidious lefts.

Pretty much, he is basically making sure whatever deal he puts to parliament stinks so bad it fails so he can push for no deal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesmerga posted:

The Conservative and United Ireland Party

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

That Italian Guy posted:

Be funny if Johnson comes back with a terrible deal and the Lib Dems vote it through over the objections of the DUP

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If only "nationalists" and "sense" belonged in the same sentence.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Strom Cuzewon posted:

People are staggeringly, thuddingly stupid

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The thing that I find most annoying about this is the refusal to acknowledge that Labour has three times as many members as the Tory party, and if it wasn't for gerrymandering would have had a storming majority.

Is there any actual proof of the latter? I was under the impression that the Tories won the most overall votes (at least a plurality) at the last election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Comrades, I’ve spent almost two weeks aggressively ignoring all news and I highly recommend it. I feel confident that I’ve missed nothing important and that everything is on the same stupid trajectory it was a fortnight ago. Am I wrong?