Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

THIS IS NOT A REALITY SHOW YOU loving TURD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Lmao these fuckers are inhuman.

What absolute unfeeling scum you must be to think forcing parents to meet their child's killer for a photo-op is a good idea

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I mean why would he need to meet Trump in person when he already had a perfect phone call? THE ART OF THE DEAL!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That is such a TV thing to do.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

"then told them the person driving the car that killed their son was in a room nearby."

This loving sociopath holy poo poo.

E: They had press invited for this? :fuckoff:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Just :wtc:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1184442979018301442?s=19

What a complete loving sociopath

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

quote:

Trump Meets Grieving Britons, and Springs a Surprise
At the White House, the parents of Harry Dunn were told that the woman they want to hold accountable for his death in a car crash was in an adjoining room.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/16/world/europe/donald-trump-harry-dunn-anne-sacoolas.html

Yes, NYTIMES, he sprung a surprise! Like Oprah!

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

A literal scene from The Boys. Reality IS stranger than fiction.

e:typo

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Donald J. Trump really is just an unfathomably poor example of a human being on pretty much every single possible level.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Any delinquent subpoena recipients going to jail today or is impeachment voluntary now?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Just have to echo the what the gently caress-ness of this.

I notice a lot of the blame for this is being put on Robert O’Brien but like, this is such a Trump reality TV way of doing things there's no way it wasn't at least partially him. Like what they were supposed to be so blown away by seeing Trump in person they were going to be immediately reverent and forgiving of everything? What the gently caress.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

i am harry posted:

“Yeah just put everything in a hole and set it on fire.” - US Military since it’s inception

I mean, at least this time they were given orders to do that, as opposed to being bored on a weekend

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Why do I keep thinking that Trump is doing this because he’s convinced it’s a way to a Nobel Peace Prize? It doesn’t make sense but it does.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Let me be absolutely clear in this: WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress IS WRONG WITH THE PRESIDENT'S BRAIN?! :psyboom:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lmao I guarantee this was from Jared after MSB meeting Kashoggi's son at gunpoint.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

canepazzo posted:

"then told them the person driving the car that killed their son was in a room nearby."

This loving sociopath holy poo poo.

E: They had press invited for this? :fuckoff:

I hope there were cameras rolling and video of when he sprang the big surprise on them.

"And then when the coffin rolls by, or their son's killer appears, they cry and wail! It's a big production I tells ya!"

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Zwabu posted:

I hope there were cameras rolling and video of when he sprang the big surprise on them.

And I hope there wasn't. This mother's grief is her own business unless she wants to make it public, and turning it into a TV moment is exactly what Trump was trying to do.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

half cocaine posted:

As long as the Democrats are dumb enough to run another awful candidate like Hilary Clinton, I think it's unlikely there will be another gop president for as long as everyone remembers Donald Trump.

After Watergate, the left got 4 years of Carter and then got poo poo-stomped by Reagan twice, then we got Reagan's VP, then we got a Centrist who only won because Perot drew votes from Bush.

I really hope you're right, but history makes me sad.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

After Watergate, the left got 4 years of Carter and then got poo poo-stomped by Reagan twice, then we got Reagan's VP, then we got a Centrist who only won because Perot drew votes from Bush.

True. But different population of voters going forward, also.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neo Rasa posted:

I notice a lot of the blame for this is being put on Robert O’Brien but like, this is such a Trump reality TV way of doing things there's no way it wasn't at least partially him. Like what they were supposed to be so blown away by seeing Trump in person they were going to be immediately reverent and forgiving of everything?

Well, yes.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Was that meeting Bannon's idea?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

IIRC Perot pretty much drew votes equally from both candidates.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

I notice a lot of the blame for this is being put on Robert O’Brien but like, this is such a Trump reality TV way of doing things there's no way it wasn't at least partially him. Like what they were supposed to be so blown away by seeing Trump in person they were going to be immediately reverent and forgiving of everything? What the gently caress.

I think it's more the pressure and high profile of the situation was expected to "compel" them where they wouldn't dare decline the meeting graciously suggested by the President of the United States, in his office with them, with a bunch of cameras and reporters right there! Would they?

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Aramis posted:

And I hope there wasn't. This mother's grief is her own business unless she wants to make it public, and turning it into a TV moment is exactly what Trump was trying to do.

I think it's because of Botham Jean's murderer getting hugs by his family. The right wing really wants that to be a thing. They saw how well it trended and once it trickled down into Dipshit's head, he thought "hey, I could get good press from this!" I don't think there was any thought put into it aside from the idea he could benefit from it in some way. Which ... I mean, is basically GOP orthodoxy, but Trump in particular has acted that way since long before I'd ever heard of him.

edit to add: it's not as out of the blue as it seems. The family here had publicly said that they would welcome meeting her (the driver) so long as it was on their terms and also on UK soil. Ignoring them entirely to focus on the part he could exploit is just the sort of thing you'd expect from a lifelong piece of poo poo grifter. And also the president. Potato, potato.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 16, 2019

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Tayter Swift posted:

Was that meeting Bannon's idea?

Given that the meeting was yesterday, and that Bannon hasn't been in Trump's inner circle in a few years, probably not.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

half cocaine posted:

As long as the Democrats are dumb enough

Oh man how do I break this to you.

You might want a few gin and tonics first

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

“You get a trauma! And you get a trauma! Everybody gets a trauma!”

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

The democrats should have hearings on this. Bring in the people who planned this and have them explain themselves under oath.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

skeleton warrior posted:

Given that the meeting was yesterday, and that Bannon hasn't been in Trump's inner circle in a few years, probably not.

Sorry, I meant Baron.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Ershalim posted:

I think it's because of Botham Jean's murderer getting hugs by his family. The right wing really wants that to be a thing. They saw how well it trended and once it trickled down into Dipshit's head, he thought "hey, I could get good press from this!" I don't think there was any thought put into it aside from the idea he could benefit from it in some way. Which ... I mean, is basically GOP orthodoxy, but Trump in particular has acted that way since long before I'd ever heard of him.

edit to add: it's not as out of the blue as it seems. The family here had publicly said that they would welcome meeting her (the driver) so long as it was on their terms and also on UK soil. Ignoring them entirely to focus on the part he could exploit is just the sort of thing you'd expect from a lifelong piece of poo poo grifter. And also the president. Potato, potato.

This is what I'm thinking too. Trump got it into his head that he could manufacture another forgiveness hug and went about it in the worst reality TV method he could. We saw him bring up the wrong-way driver in the UK during one of his word salad speeches recently, which means he was thinking about it. So, yeah. This is what Trump's attempt at human empathy looks like. Yikes.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

ketchup vs catsup posted:

The democrats should have hearings on this. Bring in the people who planned this and have them explain themselves under oath.

I'll second this, only because I'm imagining the number of people involved couldn't have been that small and I would love to know the ratio of peeps too scared to tell Donbo it's a horrible idea vs. the ones who agreed that this would work out well.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So Trump is Jerry Springer now?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

AceOfFlames posted:

So Trump is Jerry Springer now?

Why you gotta insult Jerry Springer like that?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

SHARIA LAW SCHOOL posted:

Any delinquent subpoena recipients going to jail today or is impeachment voluntary now?

I too wonder this. I mean

quote:

Declaring the Democratic-led impeachment inquiry illegitimate, Vice President Mike Pence and President Donald Trump's personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani on Tuesday refused to hand over documents on Ukraine.

The Defense Department and White House's Office of Management and Budget also declined to comply with the investigation, defying congressional subpoenas, officials said.

The move dramatically escalates the standoff between the Democratic-led House and the White House, which also has told administration officials not to testify and has otherwise stonewalled Congress.

"If they enforce it, then we will see what happens," Giuliani said of his congressional subpoena.
Unless congress starts asserting its power right now it might seriously undermine their authority to issue subpoenas going forward. They can't just issue subpoenas and react indignantly if/when people don't comply.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Succession literally handled this with a BIT more tact.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Guarantee that Trump saw Botham Jeans family hug Amber and thought he could facilitate the same thing with the British parents. loving insanity. If I was in that situation I’d want to know which room that POS that killed my son was in so I could get a few punches in.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
So yeah, I get the feeling Trump did this to get the media infuriated with him while Pence and Crazy Rudy crush the impeachment investigation. Maybe if Nixon kicked an 8 months pregnant woman right in the gut, he would’ve been able to serve out his term.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Trump Personally Brings Murdered Brit’s Parents and Killer Together To Kiss And Make Up sounds like an Onion headline but it’s loving real.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ripoff posted:

while Pence and Crazy Rudy crush the impeachment investigation

what the hell are you even talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

This reminds me a bit of the photo op with the baby in el paso. What kind of cold unfeeling person would do this especially without contacting the family. I would be livid.