Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Exercu posted:

I'm playing it and it still feels like a fever dream

That's the best description of this game I've heard yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Inspect the contract through the inventory

Uh oh I’ve tried that already. I’m going to have to doom the village, aren’t I?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Quicksilver6 posted:

I'm sure there's another way, but that's the one I used, sorry.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

mid-game question: how do i get to the island part of the map and where on the boardwalk do I walk to figure out the shooting position?

answer is just do main story btw

Zikan fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 16, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Bramble posted:

After feeling ashamed at my own poverty and insisting the bartender tell me every awful thing I did while drunk so I could apologize for the acts individually, I am now a Sorry Cop.

I've been roleplaying as myself and feel like I have a lot of thinking to do.

i'm using the thinker archetype and acting like the blank pedantic rear end in a top hat of my dreams

"so, i smashed the thing? then what did i do? yes, i guess that sounds like me. interesting. what happened next? did i do anything else crazy?"

forcing people to explain things like money and crime is splendid

Char
Jan 5, 2013

luxury handset posted:

i'm using the thinker archetype and acting like the blank pedantic rear end in a top hat of my dreams

"so, i smashed the thing? then what did i do? yes, i guess that sounds like me. interesting. what happened next? did i do anything else crazy?"

forcing people to explain things like money and crime is splendid

Yeah, but what is *romance* ?

charms
Oct 14, 2012

The cabinet thought that you get from adhering to centrism is the darkest poo poo I've ever read.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
So how is the game? I've been hesitant to buy it because there are tons of games I eant coming out soon. However I've been hearing rumblings of it being GOTY. If it really is that good I might bite the bullet.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lucinice posted:

So how is the game? I've been hesitant to buy it because there are tons of games I eant coming out soon. However I've been hearing rumblings of it being GOTY. If it really is that good I might bite the bullet.

i don't really know if it is good yet, but it is fabulously entertaining and i can already see that it has tremendous replay value for a narrative driven game

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

It's the most fun I've had in a game since Witcher 3. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard at a game before. It's incredibly well written. I've restarted a bunch of times, some due to funny deaths, and some due to just wanting to try something different. I've seen something new EVERY time.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
9.6 from IGN

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can I start setting all my stats to 1? ... Oh, I can!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dilber posted:

It's the most fun I've had in a game since Witcher 3. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard at a game before. It's incredibly well written. I've restarted a bunch of times, some due to funny deaths, and some due to just wanting to try something different. I've seen something new EVERY time.

i'm trying very hard not to restart, just smashing through the dialog and committing to the consequences of your actions seems to be the best way to play this game

my thinker archetype character ended up being a radical feminist and communist. i also ended up lecturing a little girl about the vast seas of knowledge in my brain. thought i would be sherlock holmes, it turns out i'm a terminally drunk guy with a PhD in sociology and economics who nobody likes

i also hucked the old man's ball into the ocean

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just do manual saves like every 10 minutes, because the autosave interval is a bit too long, and there are dialog trees that will lead into instant game overs. (Also, there seem to be a few softlock bugs here and there)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

hell yaeh

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Palpek posted:

:siren: Thread project: post character creator builds that would match personalities of famous tv/movie detectives. :siren:

THE COLUMBO: You are smart and *get* people, man. You know when to annoy and when to stay back, and you have the brain power to piece together the parts. You are trained, skilled and you have the experience to do your job very well. Just... Don't ask too much of your body. Smokes, alcohol and general negligence have put a dent on you.

Signature Skill: Suggestion

THE WILL GRAHAM: You understand emotions in a way that most people simply don't even begin to comprehend. 'The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction' is totally your poo poo. Hell, you might even be William Blake for Revachol, for all we know. But you might find yourself drowned in the sea of the human spirit if you are careless.

Signature Skill: Empathy

THE JESSICA JONES: Crime-solving kinda happens because you have a general vague sense where to go, and there are dumbass people doing dumbass things and their dumbassness tends to come your way, in which you PUNCH THE gently caress OUT and hey this rear end in a top hat is spilling his guts about a crime, and then literally spits his guts afterwards. You are as much as a detective as a cleaver is a kitchen tool: when finesse is required, you are not the first person to come to mind. Not the middle of the list either.

Signature Skill: Volition

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
I'm approaching the end of day one and I'm so glad I decided to buy this game. I haven't gotten the body down but how can I? I have to figure out who this racist mug I found in the garbage used to belong to.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I just realized something way later than I should have; just because higher Volition/Endurance gives you better pools to soak damage, doesn't mean there's no benefit in staying topped up.

You get a -1 to checks for the associated Skill for each point under max you are. :shepface:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

luxury handset posted:

i'm trying very hard not to restart, just smashing through the dialog and committing to the consequences of your actions seems to be the best way to play this game

yeah, people

OP put it on the thread: DO NOT RELOAD, DO NOT RESTART, COMMIT TO THE RIDE

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

dead gay comedy forums posted:

yeah, people

OP put it on the thread: DO NOT RELOAD, DO NOT RESTART, COMMIT TO THE RIDE

Save often still though, because the game is a bit crash or softlock prone.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

It wasn't a commitment thing, I just had an idea for a detective i liked better, and I was only 30 min in. I used screenshots from different runs to get friends to buy the game because this game is amazing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Game is fantastic so far. I loved telling Kitsuragi "I mean, yea, I totally got the body down" and also the dialogue where the cafe manager is explaining money to me, so I give him 40 cents and he looks at me and my money so forlornly I died laughing. It's gonna be one sexy murder!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Lol, when they said this lady was "Playing police" they weren't kidding.'

edit: lmao

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Quicksilver6 posted:

There is a certain trio of hobos in the village, try talking to them

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

i got the body down the first morning with an extremely lucky motorics roll and i'm wondering how else you're able to do it on the first day?

the game felt like it was pushing me towards "there's no way your fat, drunk rear end is getting this down and also you can't go ask the locals because they're probably in on it" and it seems like, if i hadn't pulled boxcars with kim's gun, i would have been stuck with the decomposing body in the tree just a-twirlin' in the mid-day sun

also lol that punching the one kid so he'd shut up actually worked

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I have the best luck in this game. Endurance roll at 8%? Nailed. Suggestion at 12? Nailed it. Hand eye roll at 86% N O P E

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
In most RPGs failing a skill check just means you're locked out of something you want in the game.

This is a game where failing and looking stupid to the other characters in the game is kind of just an organic part of the game design. Failure isn't necessarily bad and success can just be boring, so don't worry about it. Also your failures can just be funny as poo poo.

I save all the time but haven't reloaded for a bad outcome once, and I've botched all kinds of skill checks already.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i got the body down the first morning with an extremely lucky motorics roll and i'm wondering how else you're able to do it on the first day?

I loved how shooting it down like some kind of redneck supercop actually works! It also earns you cool points with the dickhead kid.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 16, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I kicked a mailbox and died.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Just got this game after only finding out about it a few weeks ago.

Goddamn, I only just left the first building you wake up in, and it's already incredibly entertaining. The writing is like a mix of planescape torment and terry pratchett, at the same time dark and brooding and very humorous. The style is amazing too. I've missed a good classical rpg in this style for years. Great week to be sick at home with a cold.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Freaking Crumbum posted:

If you talk to the union boss about it he'll have Measurehead take the body down for you.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, I just posted this in the adventure games thread, might as well here: this game reminds me a lot of The Longest Journey mixed with Planescape. Revanchol even reminds me a bit of Newport from TLJ. It's also like nothing else I've ever played and something truly unique.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
The phrase "gently caress it good, Copopo the Clown" keeps randomly floating into my head this morning and nearly making me laugh at work. Thanks game :ccb:

It's what the hanged body tells you to do if you ask it how to open the secret compartment of your ledger

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

oh apparently the "Save Game" option being greyed out from the start yesterday didnt have anyhting to do with an "autosave" feature. goodbye 5 hours of my life. If your option to "save" is unclickable it isnt because tyhe game just autosaved, its because the save feature is straight up broken. At least theres a ton of hilarious podcast references i get to sit through twice

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

one more

John Constantine's French Cousin, Jacques: Yeah there isn't anything explicitly supernatural going on, or is there, right. The department had a special cabinet file. You were the one assigned to handle it. Nobody else managed to get results from that thing. Other detectives joke about you, but they don't want to admit that they respect whatever loving weird poo poo you do that solves the even weirder poo poo. You can't help it, you just happen to be there. As your colleagues love to quote you, it is a spinal thing.

Signature Skill: Shivers

-----------------

Demian Doux, An Interpretation Of Dirk Gently: the protagonist of Douglas Adams' other oeuvre, a bit adapted. Jacques above is right: there is some metafuckery beyond human ken going on, but unlike Jacques, monsieur Doux prodigious intellect made him realize a small part of the greater picture. Jacques' understanding is an intuitive, metaphysical one; Doux's is intellectual. Having seen himself as a cog of the great universal machine of eternity, a bit of nervous breakdown ensued, but he finally understands that things are much more out of control than he could ever possibly realize. A case only gets solved if the Powers That Be want it so. Likewise, his extremely poor physical conditions are merely holistic consequences of the cosmic work he does.

Signature Skill: Inland Empire

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone else just playing a bumbling "The Dude" type character who just kinda stumbles around asking dumb questions but whose also lovable and that's just like your opinion, man?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think 1/5/3/3 would be the best Superstar Cop setup, no?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Also a heads up, you don't even need to use all your points it looks like. You could do a 1/1/1/1 if you really want to.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Holy poo poo leveling up perception adds so much more to click on. I went from 1 perception to 5 and there's just yellow stuff everywhere now.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
After dying without saving (I saw some autosaves pop up but then the game crashed and there was no Continue option) I did a slight tweak and am now doing a 4422 with drama as a signature skill. Good enough with people to get what I need, smart enough to know what to do with it, and paranoid and self obsessed enough to ignore it all and act stupid and capriciously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I went 3/4/2/3 becuase I kinda felt like covering my bases and after the first few hours being dominated by empathy and inland empire a chorus is starting to emerge as shivers and visual calculs and motorics in general rise to prominence with my fashion choices, skill point distribution and thoughts.

This game is loving disco, yo. Spent all day thinking bout that Cuno.

Also need to stop thinking with my gut. It's opinions are... troubling.