Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

curiousCat posted:

Literally all of that stuff is designed to be making fun of the men and what idiots they are, if it's not obvious

Yes, they got gratuitous shots of women showering to put in thought bubbles to mock the men. Sure. Okay.

I'm sure Jeff encouraging the women to strip for peanut butter in the episode titled, "Girls Gone Wilder" was also to mock the men.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm sorry are people just realizing that Survivor has more T & A than an episode of Baywatch is that what's happening

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I get that 'the edit' was going for laughing at goofball men half the time but. Like, the stereotypes? So many juxtaposition cuts of men killing it at their shelter and woman lacking authoritarian organization. Or woman talking about feelings and dudes talking about the boob.

I had no idea Survivor was so base. I have a feeling what happened is by season 6 the initial hype was starting to wear thin so to sustain ratings they experimented with a sprinkling of big brother motifs but my god jeff my god
e:

Another Bill posted:

I'm sorry are people just realizing that Survivor has more T & A than an episode of Baywatch is that what's happening
No.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The network definitely tried some different stuff but luckily they backed off most of the skeeze.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Are you really complaining that a network tv show from 15 years ago with the premise that the two groups are separated by sex is being sexist?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What’s the fight here?

“How dare you say sexist thing is sexist. It was in the past. It was a different time.”

Yeah, it was sexist. It was really bad. It’s time and place doesn’t excuse it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The most interesting part of watching old Survivor is how it's a time capsule of cultural attitudes. They do a race war season as well. Heap all that on Survivor if you want but it's not an entirely unfair representation of prevailing attitudes about all sorts of stuff back then. The past sucks, always has, always will, especially once you look at it through a contemporary lens. In another 10 years people will look back on us with equal disgust and disappointment, which is good. We're disgusting a disappointing and so will those future jerks to the their future folks.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I’m honestly shocked that in 40 seasons no one in production ever managed to get the okay on Survivor: Gays vs Straights.

You KNOW they’ve been kicking that one around for forever.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Season 6 is one of the only seasons I doubt I would ever be able to rewatch and "just a fascinating time capsule of the time!" is a pretty lousy excuse. The show leaning so heavily into stereotypes and production actively encouraging these stereotypes and gross behavior was really bad and not really something that any other season of the show did.

As bad of an idea as the race season was, at least we didn't get a bunch of weird confessionals / Jeff TC questions about stereotyping the other tribes and grossly objectifying the other players.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SlipkPIe posted:

I really think the best strategy is to just come back and say, yeah, you can get an idol on the island, I got one, I'm playing it tonight, the end. No one is going to believe whatever bullshit you come up with anyway
What if you don't get one though? :eek:

Anyway yeah apparently Vince felt there could be an incoming swap before the next vote and that the idol would be very useful in that situation. He thought he was firmly with the women and thus safe. Oops

mancalamania posted:

Just speculation on my part but I suspect Karishma was just conferring with the Lairo women to make sure they all thought Vince wasn't playing the idol. If Vince was going to play it, Karishma knows her neck is on the line (and presumably the Lairo women reassured her that she'd be fine and Vince wasn't playing anything), so it makes sense she'd want to check in to make sure none of that had updated info and/or a different read on Vince since before Tribal.
Seems like a good way to spook him into playing the idol, going around whispering to people

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait for another No Swap season where one tribe gets down to one badass all alone

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Bloop posted:

Can't wait for another No Swap season where one tribe gets down to one badass all alone

Imagine if it’s Noura.

Sadly, since they merge at 13 now it means it’s basically impossible these days.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I love that that tribe migrated to a cave when they were down to three or four.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lampsacus posted:

I love that that tribe migrated to a cave when they were down to three or four.

really added to that :lost: vibe

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Drafted last night with some friends. Snake draft.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Bloop posted:

They do that, but make the last tribe member do an immunity challenge. And Jeff's like, "Sorry you didn't win immunity, you're all that's left so you've been eliminated. You are the weakest link. Goodbye."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zesty posted:

Drafted last night with some friends. Snake draft.

I don't know what any of this means. You drafted for fantasy survivor, that much I can get, but how do you score points/win?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They'd have to have some sort of established pt system like any fantasy league. So like 1 pt for each confessional, 5 pts for a tribe victory, 10 pts for a solo victory, 20 for successfully playing an idol, etc.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

They'd have to have some sort of established pt system like any fantasy league. So like 1 pt for each confessional, 5 pts for a tribe victory, 10 pts for a solo victory, 20 for successfully playing an idol, etc.

I think doing this at the merge could be pretty fun. It's just a poison/pony crapshoot before then.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

Well yes, clearly, but I want to know what they are

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your post as "how do fantasy sports work?" I take it for granted from my fantasy sports days that most sane people just look side eyed at you with judgment if you try and explain it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't know what any of this means. You drafted for fantasy survivor, that much I can get, but how do you score points/win?

1 pt for making it through a vote.
1 pt for every vote nullified with an HII
2 points for winning individual immunity.
3 points for getting to FTC
1 pt for every vote at FTC

Could give a fuuuuck about confessional counts.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gotta give points for medical evac, catches unusual wildlife, frees chickens, steals someone's poo poo, asks Jeff a dumb question, etc

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
All interactions with Jeff Probst are dumb.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On the other hand you get 50 pts if you render Jeff speechless.

The key to a good fantasy sports league is a wide array of scoring abilities so its not just dominated by QBs and RBs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Showmance 2
Alliance with name 5
Goes home with idol -5
Snags idol in public place 3
Ruins all the rice 7
Suggests merged tribe name 6
Blurred nudity during challenge 4
Blurred nudity during tribal 8
Blurred nudity at live reunion 15

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Whispers to tribemates at tribal -10

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

man no wonder they were willing to let Karishma bleed to death

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Survivor Rule: If a player randomly has a TedTalk-esque confessional they're about to find an idol

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Here come Noura!!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hahahaha of course she has no real sense of strategy

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Hahahaha of course she has no real sense of strategy
She's gonna get an idol isn't she?

Yes... yes she is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Are you sure

Pump your brakes

Hey take your time

Eat your watermelon

Think about it

I'M IN NO MATTER WHAT

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Rob and Sandra ready to vote her out

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Are you sure

Pump your brakes

Hey take your time

Counterpoint,

:byodame: WOOOOOOOOOO

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This is absurd. Noura sucks so bad.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum