Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

uniball posted:

the assets are now all browsable with cascview. happy to report they did not remove towers from the game

gently caress me, those are gorgeous. Too bad the artists (and everyone else not in senior management) are getting shafted.

Why on earth would they remove ANY objects from the game? Let alone something as integral as defensive structures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

uniball posted:

from blizzard! cascview can pull files right from the bnet CDN without even logging in

whoa

so they have war3 files just sitting on a public server right now? For an unreleased game? Wouldn't expect that

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
https://www.wowhead.com/news=295627/how-to-unlock-player-portraits-in-warcraft-iii-reforged

Judging by those portraits, it looks like they're going to make the generic demon hunter and death knight hero units women, most likely to differentiate them from Arthas and Illidan since they were practically identical in the original.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Rhonne posted:

https://www.wowhead.com/news=295627/how-to-unlock-player-portraits-in-warcraft-iii-reforged

Judging by those portraits, it looks like they're going to make the generic demon hunter and death knight hero units women, most likely to differentiate them from Arthas and Illidan since they were practically identical in the original.

gently caress yes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rhonne posted:

Ugh, the human peon is pure uncanny valley

The orc looks more painted and less CG than the human does, which is a good thing

Arthas looks like a bad photoshop

Acolyte looks good though, as does lady demon hunter

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 13, 2019

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Rhonne posted:

They've said that the hero units would be customizeable, including gender.

So keep your credit card handy.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Andrew Verse posted:

So keep your credit card handy.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha- *giant :barf: emote :barf:ing other :barf: emotes*
I will happily rescind my cynicism if hero gender preference can be set to one's account.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

Comrayn posted:

This isn’t bad or anything but I don’t think a single word in this post makes sense to a guy who has never played before.

My advice to the guy who never played: play the campaign there isn’t really anything too crazy to explain and it has a tutorial. jump into multiplayer after.

Definitely agree with this. These are mid level strats for people who already have a good grasp of mechanics and timings. They're also fairly micro intensive, semi-gimmicky, and probably best for beating up on people worse than yourself. Eg Blademaster orc and wyvs is very strong, but also very brittle, requires controlling 2-3 separate groups at once, and can lose very quickly if the wyvs get out of position.

As suggested by others, I'd definitely play the campaign first and decide which race you like most. From there, look up some starting build orders. For all races, there are a couple of different main ways you can get your first hero out, with a few units, and then maybe tech (depending on race). You should be able to do at least one of these fairly repeatedly without having to think about it too hard, up to around 20-25 food and maybe teching, depending on race.

A few generic things:
- You should always have 5 workers on gold, then maybe 7 or so on wood (depending on race).
- You should always be doing something with your hero/army. I would suggest getting a handle on creeping (killing the neutral mobs for hero experience / items) while still macroing in your base. You can also harass the enemy, but if they're better at micro, you can easily get stomped.
- You should always be spending your gold. There are obviously some things you need to save for a bit (eg teching, or building tier 2 buildings once you've finished your tech), but a commong newbie mistake is floating 1500 gold while not building anything. Particularly while you're having a battle.
- Hotkey your production buildings so you can build units while looking after your units
- Don't get too obsessed about controlling individual units when fighting the enemy. Its much more important to get your whole army in a good position if you're new. Again, its a common newbie mistake to be trying to micro individual units while the rest of their army dies.
- Obviously, this doesn't apply (for the most part) for your heros. Don't focus too hard on controlling them, but make sure you're using their skills, and items, and run them away if they're getting low
- You can try playing teams, particularly 3v3 / 4v4 to practice the basics: build order, creeping, macro, army placement etc. Just note that the actual unit compositions and flow can be pretty different in teams vs solo

In terms of very basic strats that are fairly generic and can work against all races:

Hum: Archmage (water elemental and brilliance), a few footmen (4-5), then tech, then a few more footies, then casters + mountain king. Plenty of extras that can be added on :You can add in riflemen earlier or later, and then maybe expand on tier 2.
Orc: farseer + 2 grunts, then tech. Then add in more grunts, and spirit walkers and raiders and a tauren chieftain (blademaster first then shadowhunter with hex, heal, heal, hex, heal is stronger, but requires way more micro and knowledge of enemy strats)
UD: I think the generic strat is the best way to go. Slightly late deathknight then couple of fiends then tech. Get more fiends, then when you hit tier 2, then lich, a couple of statues and tech to tier 3. Then one or 2 destroyers, and 3rd hero (can be dark ranger, dreadlord, cryptlord - all are good) and the UD shop orb.
Nelf: A few different options, and this is a bit on the gimmicky side, but its still strong. Either demon hunter or keeper, with dual ancient of war huntress. Creep until you get maybe 4-5 hunts, then go harass the enemy, while building hunts. Don;t necessarily try and win straight away, but kill some of their stuff. Add in an expansion and tech to tier 2. Start adding in archers, while keeping a good number of hunts (6-8). Naga is good 2nd hero, or alchemist.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping that there will be in influx of people, so that I don't have to go to Europe realm to find arranged team matches. Also that they actually fix AT, so I don't have to spend 30 minutes each time messing with port forwarding and praying.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Since unit pathing will actually be fixed, I'm thinking I'll start out trying some team games builds like knight/priest or tauren/caster that benefit a lot from functional pathing. Maybe even some footman, archer or ghoul rushes. But I'm sure some unexpected stuff will be OP and I'll switch to it fairly quick.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Eregos posted:

Since unit pathing will actually be fixed, I'm thinking I'll start out trying some team games builds like knight/priest or tauren/caster that benefit a lot from functional pathing. Maybe even some footman, archer or ghoul rushes. But I'm sure some unexpected stuff will be OP and I'll switch to it fairly quick.

what makes you think they're making material changes to pathing? there was that one article where someone said pathing was fluid and more like sc2 in the blizzcon demo, but that guy's a wow player. an actual war3 player/caster (one of the back2warcraft guys) that played the same demo said pathing was identical to vanilla. as far as we know, blizzard is sticking to their claim that reforged will be netcode-identical to vanilla, and both clients can play in the same game. and afaik we haven't gotten any actual gameplay out this weekend's datamining

Khorne
May 1, 2002

uniball posted:

what makes you think they're making material changes to pathing? there was that one article where someone said pathing was fluid and more like sc2 in the blizzcon demo, but that guy's a wow player. an actual war3 player/caster (one of the back2warcraft guys) that played the same demo said pathing was identical to vanilla. as far as we know, blizzard is sticking to their claim that reforged will be netcode-identical to vanilla, and both clients can play in the same game. and afaik we haven't gotten any actual gameplay out this weekend's datamining
WC3's pathing is good anyway. It's not like brood war's. Units don't get stuck on each other and walk backwards indefinitely when two or more try to navigate a ramp.

Most of the movement mechanics are deliberate gameplay choices. The ability to block and surround units with micro is integral to the game.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

Khorne posted:

WC3's pathing is good anyway. It's not like brood war's. Units don't get stuck on each other and walk backwards indefinitely when two or more try to navigate a ramp.

Most of the movement mechanics are deliberate gameplay choices. The ability to block and surround units with micro is integral to the game.

Yeah, to even properly block a units movement requires very good micro, otherwise it will smoothly go past whatever.

Tauren caster is already semi-viable. I’ve had reasonable success soft teching to it against basically every race. Very fun, highly recommend!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Marlamin/status/1182937398168166400
Tons more here: https://www.wowhead.com/news=295625/warcraft-iii-reforged-beta-client-screenshots

Lambert fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 14, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

"Final RC" is good news. Maybe they are planning on launching it at blizzcon or shortly after?

Most of the new UI looks fine, though that campaign selection screen looks like rear end.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.wowhead.com/news=295633/warcraft-iii-reforged-human-unit-models
https://www.wowhead.com/news=295639/warcraft-iii-reforged-character-models-arthas-sylvanas-jaina-and-more
https://www.wowhead.com/news=295648/warcraft-iii-reforged-alliance-character-models-muradin-avatar-dagren-the-orcsla
https://www.wowhead.com/news=295634/warcraft-iii-reforged-orc-unit-and-hero-models
https://www.wowhead.com/news=295640/warcraft-iii-reforged-horde-character-models-thrall-voljin-rexxar-and-more
https://www.wowhead.com/news=295653/warcraft-iii-reforged-demon-character-models-archimonde-kiljaeden-magtheridon

I like that they're going through and giving all of the named story characters unique models, even ones that only appear for one mission.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Paladin's warhammer's scale is kinda comically large, lmao. Even for WOW standards.

Most of those models look amazing though, the Knight is a maaaaasive improvement over the terrible war3 model, the footman looks great, peasant is super detailed.

Muradin's hammer is like 1/10th the size of Arthas' lmao.

All the heroes look great though, like you said, even the bit part characters.

Hm, peon doesn't look right at all. He's super fat and his head is tiny. Doesn't look like Warcraft 2/3 or WoW, just... totally different and ugly.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It looks like they messed with the proportions to make them more exaggerated and WoW-like, which I think is a good change. I remember a lot of the feedback from the other players at Blizzcon was that they didn't like the hardcore realism after WoW pushing its specific aesthetic for years.

Also lol I love how huge and stupid Kael'thas's pauldrons are compared to the standard Blood Mage's

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Kith posted:

Also lol I love how huge and stupid Kael'thas's pauldrons are compared to the standard Blood Mage's
That's how you know he's important. :eng101:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I think they all have weirdly small heads, coming from WC3.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Its not Warcraft without the fuckoff huge pauldrons, like whats the point if you don't have them

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Feldegast42 posted:

Its not Warcraft without the fuckoff huge pauldrons, like whats the point if you don't have them
If it's not the pauldrons, it's usually a spear or sword.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
W3: Reforged spell animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VReWiDO3jC8

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Oh my word, are they serious at 10 minutes in?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Angry Lobster posted:

W3: Reforged spell animations.
Those alchemist, naga, and tinker models suck. They don't capture the original spirit of the models at all. DotA2's alchemist and tinker do it better. A bunch of the rest are real good though.

A lot of things look too grimdark real when WC3 had a very cartoony feel, but it could work I guess.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

THE BAR posted:

I went back and looked. Oh my god that was hilarious.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

THE BAR posted:

I assume that's not a finished effect...but they should totally just keep it the way it is.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Rhonne posted:

I assume that's not a finished effect...but they should totally just keep it the way it is.

It is done

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I don't pay attention here enough to know how many people here pay attention to WoW, or ignore it and stopped at Warcraft 3 or something, but I just want to rant about something. There are two Custom Campaigns out there that translated the plot of Burning Crusade, and Wrath of the Lich King, into an RTS format, and they are both really drat cool.

The former was made a Blood Elf Campaign, covering the aftermath of Illidan's assault on Icecrown, then retaking Quel'thalas, then finally Kael'thas' betrayal, in a sort of three-act campaign. A couple of OC's in the mix (one of which is basically a replacement of Halduron, and while he's talked about considering just replacing said OC with Halduron, I don't know what his plans are with that), one of which gets a little bit spotlight-y, but a lot of the spotlight does indeed go to Canon characters like Kael'thas, Liadrin, and Lor'themar. Sylvanas even shows up to help during the retaking of Quel'thalas! There are a couple of moments where he grabs dialogue from WoW, but aside from Unit Quotes, it's mostly subtitles-only.

The Latter is a Forsaken Campaign. Both this one, and the previous campaign feature full custom tech trees for the Blood Elves and Forsaken. This one starts with Sylvanas dealing with the Scarlet Crusade, with Balnazzar's reveal and Varimathras' betrayal getting taken care of early on. Obviously this means a few major events are changed around; Varimathras pops up again to setup the Battle For Undercity as something to be dealt with before the expedition to Northrend can begin, and is unrelated to the Wrathgate, which does happen about when it should. After the initial arrival in Northrend, there's some perspective hopping as a few important events throughout Northrend are dealt with as the Horde and Alliance for a couple of levels.

And I would just like to say, the second-last level of the Wrath of the Lich King Forsaken campaign is possibly my favorite level, custom or otherwise, in all of Warcraft 3. It's a long slog of a mission, and every moment is glorious. Both the Horde and Alliance are present as your allies on the map, and they're important; they genuinely accomplish stuff, and will work together, defend you, and assist your assaults. But they need your help too - and even with two allies, the map is *REALLY* challenging. Because this level is you all fighting to get inside Icecrown Citadel, and the Lich King takes the field *personally* from time to time, and the mapmaker has gone on record saying his appearances are inspired by Kerrigan's appearances in the last level of the Wings of Liberty campaign in Starcraft 2; in short, a huge "OH poo poo" moment that creates genuine tension and a sense of urgency, between his mechanical presence, and the fact that the music that cues up when he spawns helps hype up a big "IT'S GO TIME MOTHERFUCKERS" feeling. It's a great level in a great campaign that pulls *TONS* of audio from WoW and Heroes of the Storm, and I want more people to know about it. Case in point, I just posted basically the same thing in the WoW Lore thread because they *are* translated from WoW expansions after all.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Got a link for those?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Rise of the Blood Elves:

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/rise-of-the-blood-elves-v3-0.245153/

A few issues I know about that are a result of Warcraft 3 patches after the latest version's release:
- The campaign used to open with a cinematic cutscene - due to changes in how such cutscenes were stored, this no longer plays. A future update will remove this entirely, as the mapmaker has not been able to figure out a workaround.
- The campaign uses a custom Blood Elf UI; however, it was not designed for Widescreen, so the edges cut off, and the gaps are filled in with the default human UI.
- The Blood Knight unit's custom model/textures were broken by a patch; it has reverted back to the Night Elf Watcher model with a sword attached to its glaive-arm.

Tomoraider has also expressed a desire to create a large overhaul of the plot to improve it, but that would be reserved for a 4.0 version, rather than a 3.1 update.

Curse of the Forsaken:

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/curse-of-the-forsaken-v3-0-1.228049/

This one *has* been updated somewhat to account for the patches, and the Cinematic Cutscenes have been removed; there was previously an option to CHOOSE between in-game cutscenes or the cinematic ones; the choice has been removed, and you simply get the in-game cutscenes now. They're still good. Shame though, because the cinematic ones for this one were REALLY well-editted and put-together; the Rise of the Blood Elves cinematic was just the Burning Crusade cinematic. Also, the Blood Knight model isn't broken here. (The Forsaken didn't have a custom UI for Widescreen to break)

(as an aside; a couple of Varian's abilities cause him to shout as part of the ability's sound effects; prior to the most recent update, this noise was GLOBAL, causing that amazing chapter I mentioned before to have you listening to Varian screaming all throughout the chapter even when he's nowhere near the camera. It was both funny as hell and kind of annoying, so I'm simultaneously relieved and saddened that this was changed.)

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

sick, Cata campaign when?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Sadly he has no plans to make any other campaigns; there was briefly an idea for a Cata campaign, but it didn't work out and the idea was swiftly dropped.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

That’s really cool, thanks for posting it. I always wanted closure after frozen throne, but didn’t play wow when that was current, (or, at all, now) and never had the patience to go back and find which corner of obsolete content it was hidden in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Those are cool and I've never heard of them, thanks for the links.

I need to go track down all the old use map settings games I used to play when I was younger... half of them I don't even remember the names

War3 had so much cool poo poo. I remember playing some like trivial quiz show game with my friends after high school...

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
What even is the successor to Warcraft 3 custom maps? I want to say indie game dev with Unity, but it's not quite the same because you don't have that common gameplay foundation and set of assets that makes small ideas so easy to prototype and release. Nor that lobby where you can just pick up, download, and play a bunch of free things if someone else is. If anything I'd say Unity is more the successor to Flash (which is born out by Newgrounds largely being Unity-based now).

Modded Minecraft? Roblox?

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 17, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Linear Zoetrope posted:

What even is the successor to Warcraft 3 custom maps? I want to say indie game dev with Unity, but it's not quite the same because you don't have that common gameplay foundation and set of assets that makes small ideas so easy to prototype and release. Nor that lobby where you can just pick up, download, and play a bunch of free things if someone else is. If anything I'd say Unity is more the successor to Flash (which is born out by Newgrounds largely being Unity-based now).

Nah, there is no successor. Its like Doom / quake maps, nobody ever really took over those and people are still making tons of doom and quake maps every year. Yeah, you can make half-life maps now, you can make half-life 2 maps now, you can make maps for a dozen much newer games, but its SO MUCH harder and more time consuming to build a consistent quality level that matches with the base game, that its nearly impossible for indies.

Meanwhile, doom and quake have such a low bar and an abstract aesthetic that a single person can crank out a full level in a single afternoon, which allows you to playtest and focus on making the level fun instead of spending 20,000 hours just lining up textures and prefab objects so the level will properly compile.

That's why its so great that starcraft remaster and warcraft 3 remaster will support the original maps, because I really don't think anything has ever really taken its place.

Starcraft 2 took forever to really support custom maps and never really took off to the same extent.

Yeah, I think Unity is the successor to Flash games, basically. Warcraft3 use maps settings maps seem a level easier to make than that, and as a result is more inviting and has a wider audience and more content.

Portal 2 has an amazing map editor that's so simple even children can use it. I wish more devs would build tools like that.

I guess Mario Maker?? But Portal 2 and Mario Maker just let you make Portal or Mario levels. Its hard to do things like in Starcraft or Warcraft 3 where you can create like, DBZ RPGs or whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDf3DQuvp6k

Seeing it in action, the models look pretty drat good. Overall this doesn't look like a big change, but I think that's kinda the point and its a good thing.

Its still Warcraft 3. Its not Warcraft 4. Its just Warcraft 3 like we remember it with rose-colored glasses, instead of the actual graphics.

The trees are really ugly compared to everything else. They upscaled the textures but the models are still basically the same low poly trees from 2002. That's not really acceptable in 2019.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 17, 2019

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I wish they had made some UI updates to the health bars to help differentiate enemy from friendly ones. Game is looking good though!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Blizzard was really pushing Starcraft II as the next Warcraft III, but they dropped the ball on making it usable without a ton of programming knowledge. Nowadays it's a lot better because there's way more documentation and stuff, but they really missed the timing window.

Warcrat III's World Editor is so easy to use that I could definitely make a hero from scratch, complete with unique custom skills, in a couple of hours. I've been working with the Starcraft II editor since WoL launched and routinely I find myself having to look up how to do basic things like making Actors properly connect to Units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Starcraft 2 also, like, made it impossible to do custom campaigns which were a big part of the Brood War customs scene.