Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Anyone have or use Kibana as a front end to their Elasticsearch? I've been handed pretty much exactly that setup but haven't used Kibana before. Anything I should be aware of while I play around?

Kibana is fairly self-explanatory, though the Lucene query language isn't great. If this is something you have to run/maintain, make sure to dig into the X-Pack options for monitoring and security. Also, be aware that you can basically enter free-form queries, so be conscientious if this is your production cluster, since searches for wide-ranging patterns over all indices can very much have adverse effects on the cluster's overall performance (ask me how I know...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

CLAM DOWN posted:

A draft of 800-63B had deprecated SMS 2FA, but the subsequent final removed that part:

Basically, SMS 2FA is way better than no 2FA, and is still okay. If you have another form of 2FA like an authenticator app or token, absolutely prefer that, but SMS is still good to use given the above.

Regarding those risk factors your quote says to be aware of, there's a system I work on which uses ussd for auth, but before we initiate the session, we use a service provider to query from the customers network when last their sim card was swapped, and don't even initiate the ussd auth session if we think the sim swap was too recent.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

My job uses email 2fa for our snow instance, which contains basically everything about our customers.

We have at least 3 other mfa platforms active to auth it against, but we use email instead.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
does accessing the email require 2fa?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ranter posted:

does accessing the email require 2fa?

Not sure tbh. Never done it outside of my work machine(which does not)

I'm more concerned about that fact that a plaintext email is not what I consider secure in transit.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If it’s o365<->o365 it will be, results with other services may vary.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Fool posted:

If it’s o365<->o365 it will be, results with other services may vary.

Given the quality of implementation in other things, i wouldn't be surprised if it was using sendmail, tbh

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RFC2324 posted:

I'm more concerned about that fact that a plaintext email is not what I consider secure in transit.

I'd worry a lot less about email being intercepted in flight and more about the email accounts themselves.
a: email is often the first thing compromised, then attack things that are tied to that email.
b: if email can be used to do password reset whether with an automatic recovery or by sending a help request through their work-associated email, that's a giant weakness.

It's like SMS 2FA -- SMS 2FA isn't the best thing, but the real fuckup is services like twitter that have SMS for both 2FA and password reset. If you can reset a password through the same means as the 2FA, it's not two factors. It's one factor with an extra vulnerability.

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Anyone have or use Kibana as a front end to their Elasticsearch? I've been handed pretty much exactly that setup but haven't used Kibana before. Anything I should be aware of while I play around?

Kibana is pretty seamless to Elasticsearch. It's meant to run with elastic so its pretty clean. But as mentioned earlier look into x-pack for proper security.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
X-Pack used to be fairly expensive, but I think they've fairly recently released it as free (or at least parts of it, like auth).

xThrasheRx
Jul 12, 2005

Surrealistic

PBS posted:

X-Pack used to be fairly expensive, but I think they've fairly recently released it as free (or at least parts of it, like auth).

Yeah its free, but they lock alerting and "MACHINE LEARNING" behind huge pricing, which is bullshit. That kinda behaviour triggered amazon to forkish elastic stack to their own thing - which is almost identical.

https://opendistro.github.io/for-elasticsearch/

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

xThrasheRx posted:

Yeah its free, but they lock alerting and "MACHINE LEARNING" behind huge pricing, which is bullshit. That kinda behaviour triggered amazon to forkish elastic stack to their own thing - which is almost identical.

https://opendistro.github.io/for-elasticsearch/

No, AWS forked because all of X-Pack, even the no-cost parts, are under a license that says AWS can't use it. The basic license is only free if you aren't charging users for ELK, for the sake of ELK. If you want to offer ELK as a service, you are limited to the OSS parts.

We use some of the basic level features in our internal ELK, but use only OSS on the ES that contains data that our customer-facing app searches. We could probably use basic on both parts, but it saved me from talking to legal for a re-review.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Open core isn't open source, source-available, or even source free (the kind of source trading that early UNIX and BSD used).

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

apropos man posted:

Is there a really basic SIEM program, which I could run in a VM or something that's free and doesn't require the knowledge that some of you guys have, in order to monitor my home network?

I'm thinking of, like, a community edition of a full software suite that will just do basics like watching devices join and leave the network, WiFi access attempts, identification of commonplace interactions between certain devices versus interactions that are unusual etc.

I'd like to receive email notifications for certain events but the software doesn't even need to access my Gmail account because I could just point it to a machine with Postfix set up, if necessary.

I feel like I've put off bothering with monitoring my LAN for too long (although I did have a dabble with Nagios community edition a while ago) and it's time to add something, even if it's just simple.

Heck, if there were something that is cheap enough, I'd probably pay $8 per month (or something less than ten) if it had something cool like an app I could put on my Android phone, then the monitoring software would be logged into my subscribed account. Then I could set up certain triggers for push notifications on the app on my phone. I gather that if I can imagine a setup like this in 5 minutes, then a product like this must exist, right?

LogZilla is free up to 1 million events per day. Simple searching and filtering, and email alerts. PM me if you want to try it out and I can set up your license.

Lucid Nonsense fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 14, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

(mimimmi) Dumb ways to randomize....

https://twitter.com/pati_gallardo/status/1184122778976423936

(see whole thread with new and improved suggestions)

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have a question to which I think I know the answer but I still have some hope that it is wrong.

In the last few weeks I've been getting spam calls (chinese speakers or some robot pretending to be some law enforcement crap) that were not marked as spam by Google. I dutifully told Android to block those numbers and mark them as spam. Today I get a phone call from an unknown number again, I pick it up fully expecting to be a spam call again. The conversation went like this:
- Hello
- Hello
- I missed your call. What's the problem?
- I didn't call anyone, who are you?
- Oh, ok , goodbye.

I looked in my phone's log, thinking maybe I called and I just didn't know it, but no, my phone doesn't say that I called anyone.

Could it be that those spammers are impersonating my (and others) phone number to spam call people? Like, real, used, phone numbers? I thought they just use some unused numbers. It was bad enough they were from the area, with my area code, but I was expecting them to be at least new phone numbers.
Is that possible?

I know I can put whatever I want in a From field of an email, but I still need to have a mail server that will accept my bill.gates@micrsoft.com address. Not very hard to do, but not trivial either. Can the same thing be done with phone numbers?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yes, they're using numbers arbitrarily. I have a short list of numbers in a few area codes that show up on your caller ID as Vader, Darth because that's what the line subscribers named themselves with their telcos.

When it comes to American phone systems, "can I do x" is often "lol u can do anything."

disclaimer, I'm not and never will be a phone expert

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
The caller ID system allows callers to send whatever they please as the "from" address. There are legitimate uses for this - for instance, an outbound-only customer service return call might show up with the main customer service phone number in caller ID - but there's no authentication, and it's heavily used by scammers.

Your number was almost certainly used by a scammer in outbound caller ID. There's nothing you can do about it and the phone companies effectively don't care - they're already spinning up revenue streams for spam call blocking services.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
At least in the US anyways, the carriers are implementing a system akin to SPF/DKIM, but for phone calls. Its called STIR/SHAKEN.

The CRTC in Canada is as usual, following in the FCCs footsteps, and has also mandated Canadian carriers to adopt the same standards.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Volguus posted:

Could it be that those spammers are impersonating my (and others) phone number to spam call people? Like, real, used, phone numbers? I thought they just use some unused numbers. It was bad enough they were from the area, with my area code, but I was expecting them to be at least new phone numbers.
Is that possible?

It's called neighbor spoofing, and yes. I have even received voicemails of people threatening all kinds of things if I don't stop calling them. I almost never answer the phone anymore if it is a number not already in my contacts.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The scammers like to impersonate your local prefix, I just stopped answering calls that contain mine, but I've also literally never seen this prefix used anywhere so it hasn't been an issue for me.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
As many of us already say, just don't pick up the phone if they aren't in your contacts. If it's important they'll leave a message.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Sirotan posted:

I have even received voicemails of people threatening all kinds of things if I don't stop calling them.

Please consider: :justpost:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've noticed robo callers tend to call all the numbers in a given prefix in order.

We have a few company cellphones at the office where like 5-6 people have sequential numbers. When the first one gets a call, the rest will also get one within a second or so.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

ChubbyThePhat posted:

As many of us already say, just don't pick up the phone if they aren't in your contacts. If it's important they'll leave a message.

Or if it's a robocall, they will leave a message too!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

stevewm posted:

I've noticed robo callers tend to call all the numbers in a given prefix in order.

We have a few company cellphones at the office where like 5-6 people have sequential numbers. When the first one gets a call, the rest will also get one within a second or so.

Oh that's spooky lmao

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Oh that's spooky lmao

Happens at our office too. One day a bunch of our desk phones started ringing one at a time, all with the same recording in Manderin. A coworker who could understand it let us know it's a scam where they pretend to be the Chinese government to scare the hell out of Chinese nationals to extract stuff from them.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

azurite posted:

Please consider: :justpost:

Eh I don't know if I even remember the specifics. Just poo poo like "if you don't stop calling me I'm going to hunt you down and make you regret it". People get real mad about their phone spam I guess. :shrug:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It seems like people of a certain age take a very personal view of their cell phone. If you're calling it and they didn't want you to it's an even worse invasion of privacy than walking up to the front door of their house.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Space Gopher posted:

The caller ID system allows callers to send whatever they please as the "from" address. There are legitimate uses for this - for instance, an outbound-only customer service return call might show up with the main customer service phone number in caller ID - but there's no authentication, and it's heavily used by scammers.

Your number was almost certainly used by a scammer in outbound caller ID. There's nothing you can do about it and the phone companies effectively don't care - they're already spinning up revenue streams for spam call blocking services.
To emphasize this, remember how email was back in the '90s before SPF, DKIM, etc.? Where you could basically send whatever from whomever and it'd probably get through? That's basically how the telephone network still behaves, except that most people and even mid-level carriers don't have the equivalent of looking at the headers to even see how the call got there.

It would take me less time than it took to type this sentence to set up my PBX to send any arbitrary phone number as the caller ID, and unless I called a toll-free number the recipient would have absolutely no ability to tell it from a legitimate call. Toll-free calls have a bit of extra metadata that takes a bit longer to spoof but is still pretty easy.

Still to this day a hilarious number of voicemail systems will let you in without a password if your caller ID matches that of the mailbox, including a few major cellular phone providers.

SHAKEN/STIR definitely looks like it will resolve this if it gets sufficiently wide adoption, but at this point I'm not sure how long that'll take.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
About 4 times as long as the digital TV conversion. So wide enough adoption to stop spam right around 2040.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

SHAKEN/STIR definitely looks like it will resolve this if it gets sufficiently wide adoption, but at this point I'm not sure how long that'll take.

Probably faster than you think..

The FCC gave major carriers a warning to get things implemented by the end of 2019, and if they didn't, the FCC would could step in with regulatory measures. https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication

Edit: The FCC statement says that as of August, all the "major voice carriers" are on track to meet the deadline.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 16, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stevewm posted:

Probably faster than you think..

The FCC gave major carriers a warning to get things implemented by the end of 2019, and if they didn't, the FCC would could step in with regulatory measures. https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication

Edit: The FCC statement says that as of August, all the "major voice carriers" are on track to meet the deadline.
I wouldn't trust Ajit "The free market means we don't need net neutrality laws in a country with no real broadband competition" Pai's FCC to go through with any threats to increase regulation.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Originally got my cell phone in Oakland CA. No longer live in that rough as guts neighborhood. 12 years later got cussed out something shocking by some tough dude that didn't know spammers spoof numbers. Went something like:

me: hello
angry man: yo who dis?
me: you called me...
angry man: cocksucker you called my motherfucking phone now who are you??!
me: yo mommas new boyfriend, bitch*

*i didn't say this bit

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

I wouldn't trust Ajit "The free market means we don't need net neutrality laws in a country with no real broadband competition" Pai's FCC to go through with any threats to increase regulation.

Yeah fair enough. I sometimes forget that little turd is chairman.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

stevewm posted:

It's literally software just dialing every possible number in order and playing the message, nothing spooky about it at all.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Last I heard on shaken/stir is that nobody want to set up to actually and run the authority that would validate and publish what phone numbers are owned by what carriers. No single carrier wants to do the work, and it would make sense for someone like the FCC to handle it but lol they're poo poo and also the scope of this problem is global so you need at least the EU jumping on board as well to hit the critical mass that forces adoption for everyone else

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Carriers also reuse numbers all the time. If you get a new number now, chances are it’s been used by about three people, at least one of whom couldn’t pay their bills, meaning you will get vaguely threatening messages that don’t give any details other than a name.

Somebody who had my number apparently tried to start a business recently. I get non-stop messages about my non-existent business application being approved, along with the typical debt collection calls. I won’t ever answer them, since they might be scammers. If the debt collectors want their money, they can subpoena the carrier and find out they’ve been wasting their time from them.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

wolrah posted:

SHAKEN/STIR is great and all, but remember, it terminates at the carrier level.

There's nothing to stop Verizon or AT&T from putting the functionality to block spoofed CID detected by new auth mechanisms behind an "enhanced spam call blocking service" package for a monthly fee.

And would you look at that, they're already selling those services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here using Wireguard extensively over a mobile connection, in always-on mode? I keep having connectivity issues when my phone was too long in my pocket. My provider puts me behind CGNAT and seems to be yanking the rug from under my feet frequently (on their port mapping) when things are idle. I have persistent keep-alive configured, but whatever my mobile provider does, that won't gel with Wireguard.

Maybe trick it by changing the endpoint to a popular UDP port and hope it gets treated differently?